Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Does anyone know why I get corrupted/missing graphics and a lack of sounds when I boot up Serpent Resurrection? It didn't really give any particularly special instructions. I've go the latest GZDoom and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Does anyone know why I get corrupted/missing graphics and a lack of sounds when I boot up Serpent Resurrection? It didn't really give any particularly special instructions. I've go the latest GZDoom and everything.

Are you using Hexen as your iwad?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

Are you using Hexen as your iwad?

Uh, I thought I was, but somehow I forgot to put it in the godamn folder. I am moron sometimes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
That mod that brings Doom into Garry's Mod is out now, though you can't play as the Doomguy yet.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Glad this is out, however I can't figure out how to replace monsters / weapons without having to individually spawn everything. Is this just how it's meant to be right now or am I missing something?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I dislike how... barebones the Megaton Edition executable is. It's missing things like separate sliders for music and sound, advanced graphics options, all kinds of stuff. I would've liked the rewind feature the XBLA version of Duke has, would really save on having to quicksave and quickload. I realize this might be a limitation of how the game reads .grp files, but it would've been neat to select the expansion packs from inside the game instead of having to choose when I click on the game in Steam.

On the upshot, I'm getting to play a bunch of new content I never got to experience before, and hopefully the new multiplayer netcode is good too. I'm really looking forward to them adding mod support, having a repository to download Duke maps akin to quaddicted would be so useful and awesome.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q_8gxOxuIg

Someone's posted a video of a mod (Samsara) that lets you play as the characters from a bunch of different FPS's like Heretic and Duke Nukem.

I think the thread was talking about it before but I don't think anyone really had a video of it in action.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Samsara deathmatch is absolutely brilliant, I recommend it to anyone who enjoys old-school FPS. Playing it single-player is kind of meh.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One of the best details in Samsara is that if you play Chex Quest as anyone other than the Chex Guy, you straight-up kill the enemies instead of just teleporting them home.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Dominic White posted:

One of the best details in Samsara is that if you play Chex Quest as anyone other than the Chex Guy, you straight-up kill the enemies instead of just teleporting them home.

Something about Duke Nukem in Chex Quest just feels... right. I would actually kill for a mod that let you put the Flemoids in Doom maps just for the sake of blowing them up into a splatter of green goo and muttering "Heh heh heh, what a mess."

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm a sucker for Ranger's grenade launcher. Terminus (the mod creator) also made Pariah, Hexen's cleric, a fun character with great mobility to bash stuff to death.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Dominic White posted:

Well, um, most of them.
I still need to do Lord Snotfolus, Flembomination, and the Flembrane. Sorry, sorry. I keep forgetting. :ohdear:

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Something about Duke Nukem in Chex Quest just feels... right. I would actually kill for a mod that let you put the Flemoids in Doom maps just for the sake of blowing them up into a splatter of green goo and muttering "Heh heh heh, what a mess."

Honestly, since the Chex Quest enemies are (mostly) resprites and/or variations of the Doom enemies, I don't think it'd be terribly hard. There's quite a few Doom enemies not replaced, though, like the Archvile and Pain Elemental, so there'd probably need to be new Flemoids for that.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 24, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TerminusEst13 posted:

There's quite a few Doom enemies not replaced, though, like the Archvile and Pain Elemental, so there'd probably need to be new Flemoids for that.

Anything new from Doom II, in fact.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

It's time to talk about Blood.

Blood is the best old-school FPS there is.

Now I know what you're saying, it isn't Duke, it isn't Doom, it isn't Quake, if Blood is the best why isn't it iconic like those? I mean, I get where you're coming from, I said the same when my friend told me Blood was better than Duke. But I was wrong.

The real answer as to why Blood is so comparatively forgotten is that all those other games are for the weak.

Blood is really hard. Even on the easier difficulties it is hard. This puts a lot of people off. Blood on the second lowest difficulty is harder than Doom on Ultraviolent. The first level especially is a real trial by fire, as ammo and weapons are scarce and enemies are plentiful. But this teaches you the real lesson of Blood: that victory is in controlling your enemies, not just charging at them. Playing Blood like you'd play Doom gets you killed in about 5 seconds flat, by the most basic enemies in the first interior environment in the whole game.

Wait, you might be getting the impression that the game's protagonist, Caleb, is not as badass as Doom Guy or Duke. No, he is more badass than either of them. Caleb is a gunslinger from a time in American history when the main activities were shooting the family dog, getting train-robbed, and dying a death of dignified starvation as your farm turned to dust and blew into the sky. So what? We've seen gunslingers before, nobody cares about cowboys anymore. But Caleb kicks it up a notch. Being a feared gunslinger wasn't enough for him, so he joined an evil cult and through his sheer awesomeness rose to the top. Caleb isn't a hero. He's a poo poo.

But then the evil god Tchernabog turns on him and has Caleb and his buddies murdered. For most people being murdered ends things there. Not Caleb though, the game opens with him rising from his grave to begin the murderous rampage to end all murderous rampages.

However, that's all backstory poo poo. Who cares about that in a classic shooter? But even without all that poo poo Blood would still be the best. Why? I can't give you a short answer in some sort of bullet-pointed list because I would just be listing all the components of the game. So it's the long answer.

First let's go with the main menu. That might sound odd, but all games back then opened with a big fancy splash screen with some sort of badass picture of the protagonist shooting guys with horns in the face. Not Blood, Blood just shows a demo of the first level of the game overlaid with the main menu text, set in classy art-deco font. Why? It's because no man on earth could draw something more badass than Blood's gameplay.

The level design friggin rules. Everything basically makes sense architecture-wise, maybe some liberties taken here and there, but it is themeatically consistent. It's all some twisted 1920s art deco poo poo, trains, castles, towns, mansions, funeral homes, loaded with secrets and references that cover the entirety of horror canon. There's a cask of amontillado reference in the second level. You think it's just a cute name for the bar, then BAM, guy loving walled up in there when you blow up a wall. The level everyone talks about when they talk about Blood is the evil fairground, where you can play fairground games with severed heads. But that's not my favourite. My favourite is the enormous haunted mansion, packed full of hidden rooms, bookcase doors, portraits that open to reveal secrets. You can spend aaages looking for secrets in there and you'll find tons of them. It's so interactive and so fun. You can even blow up parts of levels, allowing you to get to secret locations.

The enemies that populate these awesome goddamn levels are hosed up and creepy. Their sprites are unsettling, slightly misproportioned claymation looking motherfuckers and it fits the mood of the game perfectly. There are axe wielding zombies, an army of cultists with shotguns and tommyguns, fire-breathing hellhounds, fish that sound like eagles for some reason?, grinning gargoyles that swoop around like mad fuckers. Any one of them can gently caress you up easily if you're not careful.

The weapons are awesome. Well, ok, the pitchfork kind of sucks, but it's better than the fists you get in most of these things. Everything else basically one-ups the weapon selection in every other game. Pistol? Flaregun that shoots flares into dudes that cause them to burst into flames a few seconds later. Machinegun? Tommygun. Rocket launcher? Napalm launcher. Everything is better. A hairspray flamethrower is a basic tier weapon in Blood. The 3 types of dynamite really typify the gameplay. Including the alt-fire effects you have so many ways of using just the basic dynamite. You can throw it different ranges by holding down the button and have it explode on impact, or you can have it explode on a time delay and throw it and bounce it round a corner. Or you can set the fuse going then set it down at your feet, perfect for destroying chasing enemies. Then you get the proximity and remote detonation dynamite and you're playing chess with explosives.

I think in my haste I forgot to mention the alt fire. Everything (except the pitchfork which sucks) has an alt-fire. The tommygun sweeps hilariously back and forth to clear rooms. The flaregun shoots a starburst of flames. The soul-stealing skull staff serves as a sentry. It's rad.

What makes the weapons feel so good are the death effects. Heads pop off and you can kick them around. Burning cultists run around screaming till their skin drops off and their skeleton collapses into a hissing, spitting pool of blood and melted fat. Gibs fly far and wide. The voodoo doll makes people melt. The screams of the dying are harrowing, the sound design and voice acting work is incredible. Other games give their evil wizards gibberish cod-latin or backmasked clips of the developers saying 'floppy dicks'. Not Blood. Their cultists have their own language. The manual has a translation guide. Why? Because it's loving rad, that's why. I talked about Caleb earlier, but his voiceactor does more to make him awesome than the awesome backstory. Caleb has range. One minute he's muttering showtunes (that's right, MOTHER-FUCKIN SHOWTUNES), talking to himself absent mindedly, then he's cackling with evil glee as men explode, screaming. Duke is a one-trick pony, mumbling stolen movie one-liners in a voice so monotone it sounds like he's suffering from steroid-induced bell's palsy. Caleb has a shitload of lines, tons of them context sensitive to individual levels.

The only thing really left to mention are the power-ups. Weaker men use medikits to heal themselves. Caleb uses them to patch his coat. What really sustains him are the still-beating hearts of his dead enemies and also hosed up eyeball abominations. Move over berserk pack, guns akimbo is here. One of the most memorable early setpieces in the game is when you're on a train (hell yes train) and you have basically just gotten a tommygun and the guns akimbo powerup. Now you have two tommyguns. The next carriage is a dining car full of like 30 goddamn cultists. You know what to do.

Basically Blood owns and you should play it. Right now. It's on gog.com for far less money than it's worth.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
This is actually a lot cooler than I expected, but it taught me two important lessons regarding Doom and Half-Life 2 when combined...

The BFG is very ineffective against Combine turrets, and one Cyberdemon can take down two Striders (the giant spider-like monsters in HL2) like it's nobody's business.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

FirstPersonShitter posted:

But this teaches you the real lesson of Blood: that victory is in controlling your enemies, not just charging at them. Playing Blood like you'd play Doom gets you killed in about 5 seconds flat, by the most basic enemies in the first interior environment in the whole game. [...]
There are axe wielding zombies, an army of cultists with shotguns and tommyguns, fire-breathing hellhounds, fish that sound like eagles for some reason?, grinning gargoyles that swoop around like mad fuckers. Any one of them can gently caress you up easily if you're not careful.

Personally, that's the main reason I didn't like Blood. v:v:v

I can appreciate difficulty, sure, but the sheer amount of dirty tricks enemies could pull made combat a lot less like fun run-and-gun and far more like boring peek-out-behind-cover-in-between-shots, lest one exposed toe meant those loving Grim Reaper assholes decide to have me for breakfast.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 24, 2013

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Basically Blood owns and you should play it. Right now. It's on gog.com for far less money than it's worth.

From what I remember, Blood was more of a reaction time tester than a shooter if you were out of explosives. Shotgunner cultists hide behind every single god damned corner, and unless you have enough explosives to nuke most suspicious corners, it gets really tedious really fast. When the game wasn't busy making me do a little strafe dance around every corner to make sure I don't get my rear end filled with buckshot, it was fun. Trying to revisit it recently revealed that the mouse settings don't work properly and the mouse fix posted somewhere in this thread didn't work for me, making the game crash on start up.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Bloodmobile posted:

From what I remember, Blood was more of a reaction time tester than a shooter if you were out of explosives. Shotgunner cultists hide behind every single god damned corner, and unless you have enough explosives to nuke most suspicious corners, it gets really tedious really fast. When the game wasn't busy making me do a little strafe dance around every corner to make sure I don't get my rear end filled with buckshot, it was fun. Trying to revisit it recently revealed that the mouse settings don't work properly and the mouse fix posted somewhere in this thread didn't work for me, making the game crash on start up.

if you're using bmouse to help alleviate the wonky mouse look support remember to change the control configurations within the setup executable to Keyboard and external

and of course run it with the command Bmouse.exe launch blood.exe, it should work fine if you do this

The other thing I really liked about blood was how well the levels managed to feel vibrant and realistic (to a point of course) and they did so with even greater avail then Duke 3D did with its city and earth levels, I think this has more to do with the development time of blood then anything else since if you go digging around within the alpha version you can find traces of seemingly all the maps in retail blood and the project spanned a good 2 and 3/4 years before it was done

also, one thing that doesn't ever seem to get mentioned about blood is this neat little extra feature where you can "squish" gibs by jumping on them, they even make there own unique noise when you do so

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 24, 2013

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's totally different than my experience with Blood (and I've played it many times). Maybe you're bad at it? Don't sweat taking damage too much. Enemies drop health powerups pretty often and it's a lot more fun than the way you were playing it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Blood is definitely a much more tactical game than people give it credit for. There's a reason why the very first weapon you're given after your melee pitchfork isn't the flare gun, but rather the dynamite: You're going to be blowing poo poo up. A lot. Any room with enemies in it gets a face-full of boom before you even poke your head inside.

The enemies in Blood are twitchy and accurate, but you have a ton of indirect attack options, and the game expects you to use them.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I had less problems with bullshit unavoidable enemy damage in Blood than I did in Duke. You've got so many more options as far as indirect attack goes, and the only enemies that do hitscan damage to you are the cultists and they all die super fast. I think the reason the flaregun works the way it does is to allow you to kill cultists without having to remain in their line of fire. Or you can blitz them down with the shotgun or tommygun. In duke when the stupid chaingun raptors show up you're pretty much guaranteed to take some unavoidable damage, I mean jeez for a prime example of that just look at the first second of the first level of episode 3.

I think the reason Blood's locations feel so much more real world than Duke or other games at the time is the consistent scale. Every building is scaled as if you could go inside it, whereas in Duke, Doom 2, pretty much any other game with cities in, the inaccessable buildings are always far far smaller than anything you can go inside and it really breaks up the games internal consistency. They also have more or less believable internal configurations, to an extent, whereas Duke and Doom end up with a lot of buildings that make 0 sense as part of anything but a game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All of the stuff you mentioned (which I agree with) can sort of be lumped under the main reason I love Blood, which is 'atmosphere'. Each episode has a really great flow to it, the levels make sense back to back, and it feels like you're in a believable world. The Shining parody is also my favorite level, but there are a bunch of other levels that play with the way things progress, like the level where you're climbing a crumbling ruined temple built in to a mountain side surrounded by lava, or the intro level to the (I think) 4th episode, where you're crawling your way through a town that's being strafed by bombers.

I'd kill for a true-to-spirit successor to Blood.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hell loving yeah. Blood is easily my favourite game. Hell, I only play it on the second easiest difficulty, Still Kicking (mostly because I don't like every ciltist having dynamite, and it's hard enough already). It might have something to do with my love for horror, but the gameplay is so well tuned that it makes an awesome experience no matter what. I can't remember a bad level, the worst are merely forgettable.

sector_corrector posted:

I'd kill for a true-to-spirit successor to Blood.

So would I. I just can't find any, whether as a game or a mod. :(

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

catlord posted:

So would I. I just can't find any, whether as a game or a mod. :(

Somebody was working on one. Unfortunately, it looks like he gave up last November. I don't know what the whole story is regarding the stuff he mentions as demotivating him in the blog, but whatever the case, it's really too bad. This stuff looks way the hell better than the Blood 2 that we got.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Somebody was working on one. Unfortunately, it looks like he gave up last November. I don't know what the whole story is regarding the stuff he mentions as demotivating him in the blog, but whatever the case, it's really too bad. This stuff looks way the hell better than the Blood 2 that we got.

Those screenshots look an awful lot like Lithtech, don't tell me that's what he was actually working with?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
cf. Blood, I've got a GOG copy in the queue to finish out my early-FPS education at some point. It's unfortunate that bmouse is still quite wonky as mouse behavior goes... an oldschool FPS is more "comfort gaming" for me than anything else, and I can't be arsed to re-learn all-keyboard FPSing or deal with crappy mousing.

It's too bad for me that the "XL Engine" guy is focussed in on his Daggerfall support instead of Blood or Dark Forces.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bloodmobile posted:

Those screenshots look an awful lot like Lithtech, don't tell me that's what he was actually working with?

Yeah, but then at some point he said he'd moved onto UE3, and he was kind of a dick bag who constantly put down other Blood 2 modders (all two of them). It does look really good, and I say that as one of the few who actually liked Blood 2.

It doesn't even matter to me if it was specifically a Blood mod or just a similar horror/action FPS. That's why I picked up Dark Salvation (word of advice, don't).

Johnny Law posted:

cf. Blood, I've got a GOG copy in the queue to finish out my early-FPS education at some point. It's unfortunate that bmouse is still quite wonky as mouse behavior goes... an oldschool FPS is more "comfort gaming" for me than anything else, and I can't be arsed to re-learn all-keyboard FPSing or deal with crappy mousing.

It's too bad for me that the "XL Engine" guy is focussed in on his Daggerfall support instead of Blood or Dark Forces.

I haven't had any issues with bmouse and Blood, personally. As for Blood XL, I believe he stopped work on it when Jace Hall's attempt at getting poo poo done started, but now that that's not happening, he's started it again. And isn't Dark XL more or less complete? Like, you can finish the game?

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 24, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I loved Blood back in the days, but today I'm not going to deal with clunky mouse and a complete lack of source port because I have plenty of good (and old) games that can be played without annoyances. My only hope is that the XL engine guy someday puts a solid release.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I didn't play Blood (or duke nukem for that matter) till the late 2000s, and I've never had that much trouble with the mouse. I play the gog version, I dunno if that includes the bmouse fix or w/e so if it doesn't I have been playing without it. Really I'd be happy if I could get y-axis movement to be the saame speed as x-axis, cause it does tend to yaw like crazy.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Mill Village posted:

Is there a certain place I need to put that command in the con files? I tried doing it with Nuclear Winter (in 'nwinter.con and nwactor.con), but the game would not start up. There are also no con files for the Duke 3D and the other TCs.
That CON command won't work with the Megaton port, since it uses code specific to the Eduke32 port. If you want to play without slimers you'll have to download Eduke32, but you won't get the new menu or Steam achievements or anything like that (if you're bothered by that)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

catlord posted:

And isn't Dark XL more or less complete? Like, you can finish the game?

As far as I know it is almost sort-of there-ish, but he hasn't yet called a release "beta" which means "can play from start to finish and enemies/weapons/etc work as expected".

I haven't played DF yet so I'm less interested in engine testing and whatnot, and more interested in just seeing the game, so that's the point at which I'd give it a try.

Back in December he had posted "I plan on releasing the DaggerXL Beta within the first month of the new year and then will proceed to get the DarkXL Beta out soon afterwards" but I think family issues intervened.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Jblade posted:

That CON command won't work with the Megaton port, since it uses code specific to the Eduke32 port. If you want to play without slimers you'll have to download Eduke32, but you won't get the new menu or Steam achievements or anything like that (if you're bothered by that)

I didn't realize that was command was only usable in Eduke. The latest version of Eduke actually supports these particular versions of the game, so I guess I could load it up with that. The Megaton port currently has atrocious mouse controls (with V-Sync enabled), anyway.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 24, 2013

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

I didn't play Blood (or duke nukem for that matter) till the late 2000s, and I've never had that much trouble with the mouse. I play the gog version, I dunno if that includes the bmouse fix or w/e so if it doesn't I have been playing without it. Really I'd be happy if I could get y-axis movement to be the saame speed as x-axis, cause it does tend to yaw like crazy.

as far as I know the gog version doesn't include bmouse in its setup or installation and you have to get it and set it up yourself, it doesn't make the mouse aiming 100% perfect but it definitely fixes that janky x to y axis jutter that it likes to pull when you try and move your mouse around too much

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
After all the Blood talk around here (especially the brilliant pitch from FirstPersonShitter) I've decided to give it another whirl. Previously I've always been repulsed by it not having a proper sourceport and no out of the box mouselook support, but with bmouse and a couple of line edits it works out okay. Four levels in, I think the level design is amazing. Very lifelike setpieces that are fun to navigate, secrets are mostly hidden just right so you can find most of them with a bit of exploration and following visual cues, and the gunplay is nice too. Plus the atmosphere, the music is creepy and pretty good. Eh, I can't say anything that hasn't been said before, except if you've got any love for 90ies FPSes you owe it to yourself to get into this.

I found the first post on this page on the gog forums most helpful for setting up bmouse in dosbox:

http://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/bmouse_0_5_mouse_driver_that_fixes_the_terrible_mouselook_on_dos_build_games/page4

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

/\/\/\ Thanks for the link. If I were to buy the GoG version of Blood and apply those bmouse edits to the .cfg, is that most/all of what I'd need to do to get it running decently?

I know I'm going to get e-poo poo on for this, but a part of my middle-school self kind've liked Blood 2... or at least the demo of the first 1-2 levels.

Admittedly, in those days I'd play any FPS that allowed me to use the lovely Diamond S3-based graphics accelerator on which I had dropped way too many weeks of my allowance. However, the one part of Blood 2 that I will always remember as setting it apart from the outdoor environments of Unreal, or the giant breasts in SiN, or Half-Life's multiplayer, was the soldier enemies in the opening science complex who would suicide-bomb you if you knocked their health down low enough.

Nevermind that the blood emanating from their "location-specific!" wounds was essentially a rainbow of uniform spheres with red gradient. The experience of pot-shotting them with a low-powered gun until they pulled out two live grenades and then ran at you in a desperate attempt to blow you up before you could put them down was to my 5th grade mind, like, "woh, poo poo." I know other games have used this mechanic since, and probably before (there have long been suicidal enemies in games, just not necessarily ones that would start out normal, especially as humans, then decide to double fist grenades while running after you). For me at the time, it was like the characters in Skyrim doing their typical cowering "I give up" animation, then instead of staying there or eventually just standing back up to perform their standard attack once more, they whip out two hand grenades and chase after you screaming. I am sure this was a lot cooler in my memory than it actually happened though, and I never played more than the free demo.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's time to talk about Blood.

Blood is the best old-school FPS there is.

System Shock is still better. :colbert:

But...

quote:

Now I know what you're saying, it isn't Duke, it isn't Doom, it isn't Quake, if Blood is the best why isn't it iconic like those? I mean, I get where you're coming from, I said the same when my friend told me Blood was better than Duke. But I was wrong.

The real answer as to why Blood is so comparatively forgotten is that all those other games are for the weak.

[...]

Everything else in this post is the gospel truth, and you absolutely should play Blood.

I've been feeling kind of like re-playing it, but at this point I kind of feel like it would be better to catch up on games I haven't finished, and then when if the XL Engine is ever actually released, use that as an excuse to play Blood again.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

TheMammoth posted:

(there have long been suicidal enemies in games, just not necessarily ones that would start out normal, especially as humans, then decide to double fist grenades while running after you)

Not exactly the same, but in Rise of the Triad, there were enemies who would kneel on the ground and beg for mercy, and if you didn't shoot them, they would fall onto the ground. Sometimes they would get back up and attack you once your turned around, after you had thought they had already died once.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

I did play Blood, long ago. It's very brutal and its weapons are...unusual compared to Doom's efficient but practical kit. I disagree that Doom is for the weak but I am thinking of eighteen years of user-made levels pushing in dozens of different directions. I love Blood's base game and its themes, though, and love how punchy it feels next to Duke, which always felt off as far as Physics and combat are concerned. Blasting an axe zombie with the shotgun and watching it rocket backwards with a roar = pure gold.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Huh, whenever I try to run serpent resurrection I get this error:

GZDoom posted:

Script error, "serpent.pk3:decorate/weapons" line 9:
"inventory.restrictedto" is an unknown actor property

I can't find any reference to it with google (I will live to regret saying this I am guessing), and I have no idea what could be going wrong. I installed it according to the instructions and it seems to be loading the WADs fine.

edit: nevermind I'm retarded my GZDoom was an older version than required.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Jblade posted:

Slimers are the little green blobs that climb on your face, right? Are people really that annoyed by them? They're a pretty pointless and annoying enemy, but compared to the chaingun lizards and the exploding drones, I always found them a minor nuisance at worst.