Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
On more actual podcast related stuff I really wanted to add something.

I started listening from episode 1 and I'm approaching 100. I'm in this interesting vibe with the show where I know literally every market, every coffee shop, every restaurant, every bar, park, street, town, theater, store, mall -- whatever LA or Boston locations they ever reference. I was born and raised in Los Angeles (Burbank, actually). I then moved to Boston for 4 years for school. So I get every LA reference, which are most prevalent obviously, since it's their and my home turf. But then anytime Seth mentions Boston or New England I'm right there with him as well. It's not cool so much in a "hey I know that place" way, more because I just lock in with their world experiences so much more. Having been around both their home cities people and culture makes it even more interesting on a personal level, and helps to relate with Seth and Jonathan's world view a bit. It also makes a lot of the stuff in the show an eerie kind of reflection of a lot of the poo poo I've seen over the years around here and in Boston.

Also kind of crazy because I'm convinced that I must have ran into Jonathan and probably Seth or been around them on several occasions unknowingly in the past. Considering how many places Jonathan frequents (according to the first 100 shows) that I've been going to forever, it's pretty likely. The Whole Foods and Hugo's restaurant alone I've been like hundreds of times over the years and Jonathan has referenced both a ton of times. Hopefully I'll run into them one day now that I actually am a fan of the show so I can say yo dawg, you dead dawg. Nah, I'll just say hi you are cool and I like your show :3:

Any other LA/Boston bred dudes experience UYD similarly?

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Damo posted:

I live in LA, so I'm sure I'll have a chance to see them live at some point. The only issue is, I really don't know if I could stand to see them live. It's not UYD, it's just the awkwardness of the obsessed laugh-at-their-every-word type crowds that go along with it.

It sounds like you just need to get over yourself, man. Really, people go to the show to have a good time and laugh, and the guys expect it. The only person feeling awkward would be you - other than Seth of course. It's all cool, dude.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Damo posted:

It's not UYD, it's just the awkwardness of the obsessed laugh-at-their-every-word type crowds that go along with it.
I can understand this. It's like Doctor Who fandom or any other fandom. Some people seem to be more into being part of an 'injoke cool crowd' and I think UHY fanbase is pretty susceptible to this. Like you, I prefer to listen from a distance.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The thing that bothers me about the live shows is how much it changes Jonathan and Seth's dynamic. Jonathan is giddy with the attention of the crowd, while Seth forgets how to be funny.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.
I like Colorado, the people there treat me right.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Damo posted:

The only issue is, I really don't know if I could stand to see them live. It's not UYD, it's just the awkwardness of the obsessed laugh-at-their-every-word type crowds that go along with it.."
Have you ever been to a comedy show or a midnight theater?

The people there are laughing at everything because they're wrapped up in the moment and everything is better and more fun when you get to be a part of the whole experience. If you go to a live UYD and somehow didn't have a blast it's because you were too into your own head and didn't allow yourself to have any fun.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Damo posted:

I live in LA, so I'm sure I'll have a chance to see them live at some point. The only issue is, I really don't know if I could stand to see them live. It's not UYD, it's just the awkwardness of the obsessed laugh-at-their-every-word type crowds that go along with it. It's not so much that I'm being curmudgeonly (although I will admit I am a bit); I don't fault or think anything negative about the fans for acting like that. We cool dudes. It's just that poo poo like that doesn't appeal to me and usually ruins my experience. I've been to similar types of shows with similar crowd dynamics like that in the past and never really enjoyed it overall. All of this combined with the fact that no one I know listens to UYD, and there's even less motivation to grin and bear it.

I not saying I want everyone to shut up like we are watching loving theater or anything either, It's a comedy show after all, and a bit of a UYD town hall type thing I guess. It's just a fine line between appropriate audience participation and obnoxious poo poo that can ruin the vibe. I know it's just my neurosis and most of you will likely think I'm a weirdo, but I can't help but feel this way.

I say all this but I probably will end up wanting to go when a show actually comes along. I likely won't have the willpower to miss it.Plus I would feel bad If I didn't go when there are so many other goons in UYD Nation that would kill for the chance. :patriot:

One thing is for sure, if I go it's gonna be a weird loving show for whoever I take cause I don't know anyone who listens to UYD. I can see the conversation now. "Yeah, it's a comedy podcast, but not as dumb as that sounds. They talk about American Culture, like sexy babies."

Listening to the live eps on iTunes sucks poo poo because Seth is way too nervous to be funny anymore and Jonathan picks up the slack (badly), and hearing everyone in the audience laugh way too loud at every little joke gets annoying. But if you were there in person it'd probably be cool

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

I've been to the B&N at The Grove, the one where a dude solicited us to "Holla back for a dope cock in your mouth"

It's a really nice store with celebrity book signings every week. hope somebody hollered back...

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I'm sure that I would have fun at a live show, but I also know a lot of podcast listeners who like something enough to go to a show have a higher than average chance to be lovely because they don't get out much. Not even the majority, but definitely a contingent of these folks consists of people who otherwise would not go to a live show and don't know how to act.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
What's with you guys being afraid of seeing uyd live? Grab a friend and just go have some fun. I know if they were playing by me that's what I'd do. Sure there will be some people there that I'm not crazy about, but so what? Isn't that the case everywhere?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

grvm posted:

What's with you guys being afraid of seeing uyd live? Grab a friend and just go have some fun. I know if they were playing by me that's what I'd do. Sure there will be some people there that I'm not crazy about, but so what? Isn't that the case everywhere?

It's probably because there are 350+ regular episodes that are 100% solid gold but only a few live shows that don't stand up to the rest(unless you were there). It's a totally different dynamic compared to the others. I'd still go to one because why the gently caress not, as much as I'd like it to be the show's not going to be around forever and it would be great meeting them once.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think you should definitely go to a show if they're in your city, dude. It's Uhh Yeah Dude!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Finally, a UYD show in a city where I know someone and wouldn't have to worry about lodging!

...glad plane tickets for that weekend are looking to start $350 round trip. Super NOPE. UYD will never travel south of NYC on the east coast, will they?

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

Finally, a UYD show in a city where I know someone and wouldn't have to worry about lodging!

...glad plane tickets for that weekend are looking to start $350 round trip. Super NOPE. UYD will never travel south of NYC on the east coast, will they?

They should do a show down in the Larroquette hometown of New Orleans. Now that would be great.

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

Damo posted:

Any other LA/Boston bred dudes experience UYD similarly?

I was born in Boston and then moved to LA after college and have a pretty similar experience. Part of the reason I became a fan of the podcast was Seth's take as an east coaster living in Los Angeles.

I ran into Jonathan leaving a Phish concert at the Hollywood Bowl and he was just as laid back in real life as you might expect. We chatted for a couple seconds, I think he apologized for running out of stickers, I told him not to worry about it, "UYD for life" and that was about it.

That was an awesome night.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.
"I don't think I've ever seen a black person with Down Syndrome."

"That's because there are no black people in Malibu."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The only thing funnier than Jonathan's assertion that 1 in 10 African Americans are born with Down's Syndrome is his retraction the next week.

"I said it was 1 in 10, and you said, 'Jonathan, those are terrible odds,' and I think I may have even said, 'I know. It's really sad.'"
"I was thinking, that's like, if I were in a Starbucks, in an African American neighborhood, there would be, like, 4 retarded kids in there. This is a crazy Starbucks!"

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
e: ^^bah!

nub posted:

"I don't think I've ever seen a black person with Down Syndrome."

"That's because there are no black people in Malibu."
Been working through the back catalog (again) a bit while running; just caught that ep Sunday.

"Turns out 1 in 10 black children have Down Syndrome!"

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

The only thing funnier than Jonathan's assertion that 1 in 10 African Americans are born with Down's Syndrome is his retraction the next week.

"I said it was 1 in 10, and you said, 'Jonathan, those are terrible odds,' and I think I may have even said, 'I know. It's really sad.'"
"I was thinking, that's like, if I were in a Starbucks, in an African American neighborhood, there would be, like, 4 retarded kids in there. This is a crazy Starbucks!"

America through the eyes of two American Starbucks customers.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Episode 98: 12:15

ZzzzGook. ZzzzChink.

I don't think I've rewinded any other 15-20 seconds of Uhh yeah dude as much as this moment for some reason. There is probably something wrong with me.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Jaydog has a new live in girlfriend called Geneva? Was she ever mentioned before? I'm so happy for him :-)

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
UYD: Holographic alligators.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

niethan posted:

Jaydog has a new live in girlfriend called Geneva? Was she ever mentioned before? I'm so happy for him :-)

Yeah she's come up a few times, even Seth's girl came up once, my head almost exploded.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
"What does ATM stand for?"
"I can't tell you, my mother listens to this show. Oh wait, that kind of ATM"

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

This week's show was great. It reminded me a lot of some of their older stuff.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Jonathan Laroquette, dream driver.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

I can only imagine the sight that would have been Seth drunkenly setting off fireworks in the parking lot of a Coffee Bean at 7 in the morning.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It's so adorable how not only does Jonathan think the word is "hologramic", he continually finds situations in which he needs to use the word.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't sleep on Deep Space 9.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don't know if it was just me but iTunes somehow served me Ep 335 labeled as this week's 364. When they mentioned Mos Def becoming Yasim Bey I was suspicious cause that's old news, and then Jonathan talked about being late for Seth's girlfriend's party, which I knew I'd heard before. So if that's the episode you heard, redownload it cause you still have new UYD in the pipe.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

A Violence Gang posted:

Don't know if it was just me but iTunes somehow served me Ep 335 labeled as this week's 364. When they mentioned Mos Def becoming Yasim Bey I was suspicious cause that's old news, and then Jonathan talked about being late for Seth's girlfriend's party, which I knew I'd heard before. So if that's the episode you heard, redownload it cause you still have new UYD in the pipe.

This happened to me too, was having some weird UYDeja-Vu, then when Jonathan said he'd never heard YOLO I knew it couldn't be recent.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

A Violence Gang posted:

This happened to me too! I thought it might have been because of some glitch in the iPhone's new lovely Podcast app

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Man they left me hanging on the Active Shooter Situation last week and then Jonathan comes out with it this week, so good.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Website and RSS feed are down yet again. It amazes me how inept and irresponsible Jonathan can be. Must drive Seth up the wall.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Really glad I decided to go back and listen from the beginning. I heard one of the funniest Jonathan stories on episode 12 of all places, so I decided to make a video out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzBhzq1mEvU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Jonathan must be off livin' the hologramic life in NYC instead of paying the website bill.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

i poo poo trains posted:

Really glad I decided to go back and listen from the beginning. I heard one of the funniest Jonathan stories on episode 12 of all places, so I decided to make a video out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzBhzq1mEvU

Oh god Jonathan is so gently caress up it is unbelievable sometimes.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Website and RSS feed are down yet again. It amazes me how inept and irresponsible Jonathan can be. Must drive Seth up the wall.

It's working for me...

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Binowru posted:

It's working for me...
Its back up now, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
You don't remember that?