Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dingy dimples
Aug 16, 2004

Gen. Ripper posted:

You know most of the claims that Obama is rounding up GOD FEARING CHRISTIAN AMERICANS :911: are bunk, right?

Oh, to be sure, I was immediately skeptical that the religious blogs were telling the whole truth.

On the other hand, I'm not really surprised by anything police do anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Man, my stupid friends have just been on a roll today :rolleyes:

Impressive gestures towards copyright at least.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Way to gently caress up Charles Schultz rear end in a top hat.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

DarkHorse posted:

But... you can choose all of those things. In fact, you could reverse the whole thing and have Lucy say "Yes" to every single one and then say, "NO! It's bad for you!" to abortion and it would be like a liberal version of the exact same thing.

Ignatius D
Jul 30, 2006
The best thing about the image is the center left one, where the author implies he thinks young children should be able to buy a gun.

Ignatius D fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 24, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Look, if my baby wants to have a gun I don't think you have any say in stopping him.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
You're Going Galt, Charlie Brown!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Oh, thank god someone posted that idiotic image. It's so incredibly dumb.
"Can I read a book?"
"Negative!"
"But I can get an abortion!"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Isn't there a Peanuts cartoon where Schultz explains why he abhors political cartoons? From what I remember, it was pretty dead-on with its criticism.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're all garbage (see: the other thread) written/created by men who are god awful human beings. The exception being Kelly; however, that's just satire of the real stuff.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Kelly is almost too on point for me. If you showed it to people that didn't know the background I bet a lot would think it's real. Poe's law is strong.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
This turned up in my spam folder, not least because I have no idea who sent it me :psyduck:

quote:

The death of Princess Diana sparked much controversy and the original reaction of the public was that she was murdered. After a media campaign that called the event an accident and blamed the paparazzi, the public was divided on the issue. Examining the evidence makes this issue a lot clearer. The film "Unlawful Killing" examines the evidence that was largely concealed from the public for years. This movie can still be found on torrent. The evidence presented in the film includes:

Diana left a note saying that she was suspecting there is a plot to murder her in a car accident. This note was hidden for years after the murder.

Evidence used during the inquest was doctored, including blood samples, autopsy results, etc. For example, only a bottle of champagne was found at the driver's apartment when the police searched it, so the police searched it again and found a lot of alcohol. The blood samples of the drivers had numbers that are physically impossible.

Witnesses saw a bright flash in the tunnel at the time of the incident. A former MI6 agent revealed that MI6 had a plan to assassinate a Serbian leader by blinding the driver in a tunnel with a bright flash.

The ambulance ride took an incredibly long time to get to the hospital.

The media distorted the verdict of the inquest. The inquest found that Diana was murdered and other road vehicles were responsible for the murder, not paparazzi.

A white Fiat Uno was seen by witnesses at the scene of Diana's death and left paint on Diana's car. James Andanson owned a Fiat Uno and lied about his whereabouts on the night of the murder. James Andanson's body was found in his burnt out white Fiat Uno. It was locked and the body had no keys on it. The fireman that found his body said that he saw two bullet holes in the back of his skull. The police declared that it was a suicide. How did he shoot himself twice in the back of the head and then set the car on fire, before he died?

People say that the royals are a harmless relic of the past. Instead of just enjoying their lavish lives that are paid for by the taxpayers, they are using their wealth and influence to murder people they don't like. Sure, they don't murder people with their own hands, but that doesn't make them any less guilty. Diana's murderers must be brought to justice. The actual assassins might be hard to find now that much of the evidence has been covered up and/or destroyed, but the people that ordered the hit can be located easily. These bloody aristocrats are living in luxury. Princess Diana tried to use her position to help people and she was murdered. Good always defeats evil and one day justice will be served.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Spite posted:

Kelly is almost too on point for me. If you showed it to people that didn't know the background I bet a lot would think it's real. Poe's law is strong.

Where is Kelly's stuff published? Because yeah, the stuff that is reposted here is really too much like actual right wing discourse anymore, and whenever I see one I have to scratch my head and think about whether it's satire.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
It's published on The Onion, which really should be a dead giveaway for anyone.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zwabu posted:

Where is Kelly's stuff published? Because yeah, the stuff that is reposted here is really too much like actual right wing discourse anymore, and whenever I see one I have to scratch my head and think about whether it's satire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_aDIY8OJog

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Spite posted:

...Well poo poo, Poe's Law indeed, I had no clue he was satirical (granted, only saw his stuff in the Political Cartoons thread, not in the Onion)

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Enough about comics! More about terrible image macros!

See? We do need tighter regulations on guns black people.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Let the teenagers walk free for a month and see how people react.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I posted an infographic about Stop and Frisk and my NYPD cousin decided to represent the department well with the following reply:

"Oh BOOOO HOOOOOO....... You have no Idea what SQF is intended for... How could you possibly know , you live in fuckin east cupcake.... What about the poor innocent children and grandparents who are killed by drivebys, where are their rights. Try giving your liberal schpeal to one of those parents who wished the murderer of their innocent child was SQF'd 10 minutes before that happened. Untill you've actually seen an incident like this or experienced something of the similar you should really think twice about what sacrificing rights really are.....

Oh and next time the terrorists strike, hop on the LIRR into the city and help us pick up some body parts. You can tell us all about the rights of radical muslims....."

:911:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
My usually sane mom sent this to me :sigh:

some idiot my mom used to with posted:

Warren Buffet is asking everyone to forward this email to 20 people; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in the U.S. will have the message. Read and pass on to 20 of your friends...

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months and 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971 - before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven took one year or less to become the law of the land all because of public pressure. Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

Congressional Reform Act of 2013

1. No Tenure/No Pension

A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.

Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system
and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 06/01/2013. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congress made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career.

The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message.

You are one of my 20+ ... please keep it going, and thanks!

Something tells me Warren Buffet didn't really send this.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My usually sane mom sent this to me :sigh:

Something tells me Warren Buffet didn't really send this.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/common/faq/retirement_for_members.shtml

quote:

Is it true that . . . Members of Congress do not pay into Social Security and when they retire they receive a pension equal to their congressional salary for the rest of their life?

The answer is no. All members of Congress pay Social Security taxes in the same amounts as they would if they were employed in the private sector at the same salary level. The amount of a congressional pension varies and depends on years of service, age at the time of retirement, and salary.

The facts: The confusion about Social Security probably results from the fact that before 1984, Senators and Representatives did not participate in the Social Security program. Like all federal government employees at that time, members of Congress were covered by a pension plan, called the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS), that did not require payment of Social Security taxes and did not provide Social Security benefits. In 1983, Congress passed a law (P.L. 98-21) that required all federal employees first hired after 1983 to participate in Social Security. The law also required all members of Congress to participate in Social Security as of January 1, 1984, regardless of when they first entered Congress. Because the CSRS was not designed to coordinate with Social Security, Congress directed the development of a new retirement plan for federal employees, called the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), which does coordinate a federal pension with Social Security.

Members of Congress are eligible for a pension at age 62 if they have completed at least five years of service. They are eligible for a pension at age 50 if they have completed 20 years of service, or at any age after completing 25 years of service. The amount of the pension depends on years of service and the average of the highest three years of salary. By law, the starting amount of a member’s retirement annuity may not exceed 80 percent of his or her final salary.

Read a report that provides more detail on retirement benefits for members of Congress.

Also Congress already participates in the same health insurance plans as all other federal employees which is a big exchange of private plans they can pick from and pay for. And they can't vote to raise their own pay. And with limited exception they are bound to all laws everyone else is bound to (if memory serves there is a clause about temporary immunity such that congressmen aren't trying to arrest each other on spurios charges to push through votes).

At least we're keeping up with laws that changed as recently as nineteen loving eighty four though. :suicide:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

DarkHorse posted:

My god. As awful as the usual forwards are, whoever made this one gets an extra special "gently caress YOU FOREVER" to me. Come up with your own cartoon characters to express your stupid, stupid opinions, don't rip off the work of one of the most brilliant cartoonists for no reason.

I mean, seriously, why are Linus and Lucy even in this strip? It makes no sense at all, though maybe I'm expecting too much from the people that make these things.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

KillerJunglist posted:

Enough about comics! More about terrible image macros!

See? We do need tighter regulations on guns black people.
Ah yes, because the system is just sooooo lenient and lazy about prosecuting black criminals.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

This lovely "gem" showed up in my inbox today:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
How did the right wing convince the average American that Unions are bad for them? I just can't wrap my head around it.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Hitch posted:

Now here's a joke that will appeal to a wide demographic: union busting business owners.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Radical Griff posted:

How did the right wing convince the average American that Unions are bad for them? I just can't wrap my head around it.

People in unions still generally have better wages and benefits than their non union counterparts in the same occupations, and people are pissed about that, and become angry at unions because they want to drag everyone else down. Throw in a healthy mix of coddling business owners for decades mixed with ARE RIGHTS(see, Right to Work laws that have nothing to do with a right to work or an employees rights, yet they still sell it as that in a very successful fashion). It becomes even easier as fewer and fewer people have ever been in a union and get more bitter/angry over them, especially since a good deal of the strong unions that are left are in the public sector, so throw in a mix of MY TAXES

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Radical Griff posted:

They tapped into their Protestant work ethic and self-hatred and used it to make them despise their fellow man, and view them as worthless wretches that don't deserve to be paid more than bread crumbs. They aren't breaking their backs hard enough and they aren't fired for the first mistake they made today. We let them starve on the streets only because hanging's too good for 'em, etc...

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Warren Buffet is asking everyone to forward this email to 20 people; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in the U.S. will have the message. Read and pass on to 20 of your friends...

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message.

You are one of my 20+ ... please keep it going, and thanks!

I couldn't find a concrete number for the number of times people check their email per day, but the general statistical trend seems to be between once a day and three times a day, at least for the majority of people (70%+, in a study conducted 13 years ago, so I'd have to assume more now). We'll say two.

So, in 3 days, that's two sets of forwards or 6 forwards overall.

If 20 people forward it 6 times, that's 64 million people. Assuming that when they say "most people in the US" they mean more than half, that's 156,957,021.

In order to reach that many people, it would need 6.3 forwards or 3 days and 8 hours.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

It's the same thing as welfare (or anything else, really) in that anecdotes are more powerful than data. They once knew a union worker who took 3 hour breaks! And his boss couldn't fire him! So clearly ALL union people are that way. Just lazy people sucking money out of the precious job creators (:911:)

Instead of saying "hey, unions seems to help people and improve wages and working conditions, I want to join a union!" people say "hey, gently caress you, i'm miserable and making minimum wage, so should you :argh:" Crab mentality.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

I honestly don't even like using Snopes anymore because they just say "It's run by a Liberal so it's biased and untrue" and then I realize it's a lost cause.

:(

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Hitch posted:

It doesn't work and you can't fire it? Is firing a gun just an extra option and its main function has been totally lost on us liberals? Suddenly all those "if violent why not ban hammers?" memes make sense!

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Je suis fatigue posted:

It doesn't work and you can't fire it? Is firing a gun just an extra option and its main function has been totally lost on us liberals? Suddenly all those "if violent why not ban hammers?" memes make sense!

I'm pretty sure it's a pun on the reported difficulty of firing a union worker. And by pretty sure... I mean I'm positive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hitch posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a pun on the reported difficulty of firing a union worker. And by pretty sure... I mean I'm positive.

He knows that, he's just ragging on them for being repetitive and ignorant at the expense of a joke.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

XyloJW posted:

I couldn't find a concrete number for the number of times people check their email per day, but the general statistical trend seems to be between once a day and three times a day, at least for the majority of people (70%+, in a study conducted 13 years ago, so I'd have to assume more now). We'll say two.

So, in 3 days, that's two sets of forwards or 6 forwards overall.

If 20 people forward it 6 times, that's 64 million people. Assuming that when they say "most people in the US" they mean more than half, that's 156,957,021.

In order to reach that many people, it would need 6.3 forwards or 3 days and 8 hours.

That's a lot more effort than what I put into it. The guy that sent that is the worst kind of partisan hack. He claims he's a "deficit hawk" but he bitched about Clinton not giving military members big enough raises, was quiet as a church mouse when Bush was running up the country's credit card but in 2009 he stated spouting off about how we need to get spending under control. I know a sample size of three isn't very big but I'm starting to see a pattern.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I just thought that since the whole "20 people in 3 days" thing appears in the email in no less than 5 places, it must be the most important part, and chose to debunk that, since it's so oddly specific.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

XyloJW posted:

I just thought that since the whole "20 people in 3 days" thing appears in the email in no less than 5 places, it must be the most important part, and chose to debunk that, since it's so oddly specific.

And even that's assuming that each person would only get the email once and that each of the twenty people they send it to hasn't received it already.

I don't know how you'd crunch the numbers on that but I think the result would be in the region of "pretty impossible."

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Hitch posted:

What exactly do these people think Obama has done for unions during his presidency? Every single notable union-related legislation in the past five years has been at the state level.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Vaccines grandpa just posted this:

Now, to be fair, I don't know much about Aspartame, but he got it from a page called "Conspiracy Watch" which has an Illuminati thing as its profile picture, so I'm leaning towards it being BS. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gen. Ripper posted:

Vaccines grandpa just posted this:

Now, to be fair, I don't know much about Aspartame, but he got it from a page called "Conspiracy Watch" which has an Illuminati thing as its profile picture, so I'm leaning towards it being BS. :shrug:

Oh no! I don't want such horrible things as Depression, Memory Loss, and DAVE SOMMERS