Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Unlucky7 posted:

That is the weirdest part of the game for me, that they had some well placed sense of urgency, then matched it up with a ton of optional stuff that you essentially need to put the game on hold for.

Yeah it really put me off exploring at times, especially if someone was in peril or waiting nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Well the good news is that game looks really pretty on Normal settings. The bad news is I played this whole loving game with settings on Normal or Off because I assumed my laptop would run it like poo poo. Playing around with settings after I finished, not only does it run great with more stuff turned on but it looks like a whole different game. Shipwreck Beach in daytime looks amazing. Nixxes needs to port every PC game ever from now on.

Even though it may not fit with the whole origin story thing, this game could use a New Game Plus.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dogen posted:

Yeah it really put me off exploring at times, especially if someone was in peril or waiting nearby.

I put off all exploration until a certain natural point where it fits when you all get to the beach camp. Such a point earlier in the game would have been useful though.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I thought there were enough points where the demands of the plot weren't overwhelming that you could explore. It was much better about that than something like Arkham City tbh.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

tarbrush posted:

I thought there were enough points where the demands of the plot weren't overwhelming that you could explore. It was much better about that than something like Arkham City tbh.

I found it much worse - in Arkham City at least the areas that you need to progress to aren't completely linearly linked to one another. In Tomb Raider there's never any need to backtrack, unless you want to 100% the game and explore. The story just keeps pushing you through the different areas. Whereas Arkham City has you running about hither thither and yon.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's pretty fun reading the global achievements list (PC). 8.8% of every player have gotten every doodad but only 0,4% have the chatterbox trophy.
42.5% have finished the game which is a pretty high percentage. I'm pretty surprised even 1% have gotten the "Get over here achievement - it's hard as hell to do right and there's never any real reason to ever use that ability when you can just shoot the bad guys instead.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

alf_pogs posted:

I found it much worse - in Arkham City at least the areas that you need to progress to aren't completely linearly linked to one another. In Tomb Raider there's never any need to backtrack, unless you want to 100% the game and explore. The story just keeps pushing you through the different areas. Whereas Arkham City has you running about hither thither and yon.

I meant more in terms of plot pacing than convenience. AC's story involves a very palpable ticking clock for the vast majority of it, whereas in TR there are plenty of times when you need to do stuff soon but not right goddamn now. I always felt that when I went a did a sidequest in AC I was wasting time that the city didn't have, even though video game logic told me that time advanced at the pace of plot.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So Alex died for a screwdriver and a wrench. Good job bro.

Is it possible to overhunt all of the areas of the map or only ones with boars? I spent a good deal of time in the first area blasting deer and rabbits and I never got the message there.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So I checked but didn't see anything: where's the settings for viewbob or fov in the PC version, because holy poo poo having the camera attached to a baby in a jolly jumper is a dumb idea at best, and makes people nauseous at worst.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I still can't access MP. I can't even reach the submeny, it just tells me the TR servers are unavailable. Does anyone else have this problem? I could play it pre-patch, but I can't seem to find anyone else with the same problem.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I've yet to ever find a match. Doesn't throw an error, I just can't find anybody.

And just beat the game. I really enjoyed it and exploring the environments but I honestly think it was way too easy. It needs a harder difficulty or challenge rooms or...something besides the multiplayer I can't even get into. The combat is a ton of fun but I basically had to gimp myself throughout the entire game so as not to mow through everything.

I'm real excited to see where this series goes though. I'm guessing the GPS pickups are the biggest clue as to that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Roman posted:

Well the good news is that game looks really pretty on Normal settings. The bad news is I played this whole loving game with settings on Normal or Off because I assumed my laptop would run it like poo poo. Playing around with settings after I finished, not only does it run great with more stuff turned on but it looks like a whole different game. Shipwreck Beach in daytime looks amazing. Nixxes needs to port every PC game ever from now on.

Even though it may not fit with the whole origin story thing, this game could use a New Game Plus.

It should be a criminal offense for game developers to put xp and upgradable skills/weapons in games and not include a new game plus. There's something so cathartic about rolling through a game again as an unstoppable badass with the best weapons and unlocks. Bonus points for offering alternate costume unlocks.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

DrNutt posted:

It should be a criminal offense for game developers to put xp and upgradable skills/weapons in games and not include a new game plus. There's something so cathartic about rolling through a game again as an unstoppable badass with the best weapons and unlocks. Bonus points for offering alternate costume unlocks.

I hope they fix this, or that someone creates a mod or something. I barely got to use my fully upgraded weapons!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If only they had completely ripped off Rocksteady for this aspect of the game design.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I feel like I barely used the majority of the things I unlocked.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I feel like I barely used the majority of the things I unlocked.

To be fair, I think this has been pretty common in a lot of games lately. I'm sort of blanking right now on anything I've played recently, but I think Far Cry 3 was like that, as well. That game needed a new game plus something fierce.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Replaying the game is pretty hilarious, though. At the start Lara barely manages to pull herself up when hanging from edges, is deathly afraid when slooowly walking across chasms on a tree, and even lets "trivial" things like ice-cold rain and hunger bother her. The difference between early-game Lara and late-game Lara is enormous, and it's not just about her ability to murder people. It's honestly making me appreciate the game more! Love how expressive Lara is, too. They really manage to convey Lara's inner thoughts. "I need to do WHAT? ... OK, let's get this over with."

EDIT: And her first melee attack is a tackle.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 25, 2013

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

If only they had completely ripped off Rocksteady for this aspect of the game design.

Hey, Arkham City had a cool NG+, but doing a replay with remixed/harder enemies is hardly original to Rocksteady. DMC did this way back in 2001 and lots of other games have as well.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Renoistic posted:

Replaying the game is pretty hilarious, though. At the start Lara barely manages to pull herself up when hanging from edges, is deathly afraid when slooowly walking across chasms on a tree, and even lets "trivial" things like ice-cold rain and hunger bother her. The difference between early-game Lara and late-game Lara is enormous, and it's not just about her ability to murder people.
Though it might have added substantial cost (voice work/mocap/etc.), an NG+ where she's already a hardass with different dialogue etc. would have been fun to see.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Roman posted:

Though it might have added substantial cost (voice work/mocap/etc.), an NG+ where she's already a hardass with different dialogue etc. would have been fun to see.

I don't think it would have been that difficult, at least where the animations are concerned, because most of the 'scared Lara' things in the beginning few hours are just scripted events. But even without that kind of effort, a plain ol' new game plus where you retain your abilities/weapons would be nice.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Got this game a few days ago after hearing that it was actually pretty good, despite what the game's awful marketing may have made it look like.

I am delighted. This is a really fun game to play through, there aren't -too many- collectibles to go for, and I think her characterization so far is pretty refreshing after being so used to protagonists who pretty much don't blink an eye at killing people or being in harrowing situations. In that respect it's interesting to play this game at the same time that I'm playing through Assassin's Creed III, which features a protagonist with a more traditional videogame hero mindset.

I find myself coming back to this game more.

This has also gotten me more interested in the Tomb Raider series. I find myself wanting to buy the next game, where previously it was a series I just never really cared about. I played one or two of the games a few times, thought it was nice enough but it never really grabbed me. This incarnation is something I can stay interested in.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DrNutt posted:

To be fair, I think this has been pretty common in a lot of games lately. I'm sort of blanking right now on anything I've played recently, but I think Far Cry 3 was like that, as well. That game needed a new game plus something fierce.

I was going to say they're sort of patching this into Far Cry 3 but apparently the outpost reset and harder difficulty patch came out earlier this month! Now I have something else to play! :v:

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
After playing through the whole game I've gotta say my favorite part was when Lara got the grenade launcher.

"That's right! Run you bastards! I'm coming for you all!"

A lot has been made of the big shifts in tone throughout the game, but the shift from survival horror to action adventure to straight-up action movie didn't bother me at all and felt pretty natural in the context of the game. Loved the whole thing. It's definitely something I'll find myself picking up and replaying a few times in the future and I look forward to the sequels.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Viridiant posted:

This has also gotten me more interested in the Tomb Raider series. I find myself wanting to buy the next game, where previously it was a series I just never really cared about. I played one or two of the games a few times, thought it was nice enough but it never really grabbed me. This incarnation is something I can stay interested in.
If you're like me you might get a bit disappointed, the 2013 reboot is my favourite by a country mile. In fairness, I've only played the latest three aside from this, of which Legend is the only one I've bothered to finish, in spite of a final boss fight that infuriated me.

Anniversary I have six hours played at, and is stuck on a jumping puzzle that seemingly require super human timing and precision, in addition to the movement controls being atrocious.

I should get back to Underworld though, I've more or less just booted it up and started the first level and then left it. I hear it's the best of the lot.

The new one on the other hand is in my opinion one of the best games I've played as of late. Animation quality is really good, movement feels really good too.
The way that the scramble move seamlessly flows into the throw-sand-in-their-eyes move is genius.

And Lara actually looks like an actual human being, and not something drawn by a drunk pin-up artist! :v:
They did keep her amazing upper body strength; being able to drive a climbing axe into a rockface deep enough to support your entire body weight, in a single swing, whilst in free fall, is quite something. Realistic? No. Goddamn awesome? Yes. :v:

Lara's voice actress really did a fantastic job too.

I for one can't wait for a follow-up.
Hopefully this sells well enough to convince more developers/publishers to put out triple A's where the protagonist isn't Generic Brown-haired Dude #3782.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Groetgaffel posted:

And Lara actually looks like an actual human being, and not something drawn by a drunk pin-up artist! :v:

Yeah all of the characters are really good like that.

I'm really disappointed that Grim doesn't show up at some point kicking the poo poo out of some samurai or some such. His death was offscreen so you never know what really happened!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh hey there's both a new nVidia patch out today and an update to Tomb Raider:

quote:

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.0.730.0. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

New fixes in 730.0:

• Upgraded the save slots from three to 99
• Introduced “Last Campsite Save”, which automatically saves your progress up to the last campsite you have visited
• Added stereoscopic 3D reticle
• Fixed issues with the discovery of the Unworthy campsite.
• Fixed a problem that occurred when traveling back to the Sacred Hall Basecamp after that story has been completed
• Fixed a playthrough stopper in Chasm Bridge
• Fixed a playthrough stopper that could occur when loading a saved game created in the Coastal Forest after upgrading the axe but before opening the gate
• The active selection in the main menu no longer changes due to the rotation of the menu itself
• Fixed Mouse and Aim Sensitivity slider settings getting rounded to coarser values on save
• Fixed a crash in multiplayer that could occur while migrating hosts
• Added functionality to activate and deactivate DLC multiplayer maps during matchmaking. Maps can also be manually activated and deactivated in the new ‘Match Making’ menu in the ‘Options’ menu.
• (DX11) Fixed a few self-shadowing artifacts in the beach
• (DX11) Various performance optimizations
• (DX11) Improved sunlight shadow quality
• (DX11) Lens flares now render correctly in stereoscopic 3D
• (DX11) Improved exclusive fullscreen <-> windowed transitions
• (DX11) Fixed occasional crash on startup related to stereoscopic detection
While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build722.3, that can be used to switch back to the previous version. Please note however that you can only play multiplayer with people that share your version.

We are planning further patches beyond this one to address various issues that have come out of consumer feedback since the release of the game.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Legend was really bad in that. Most of the other characters at least tried to look realistic, while they made Lara more true to the original, which of course means she just looks a bit.. off compared to everyone else.

quote:

I'm really disappointed that Grim doesn't show up at some point kicking the poo poo out of some samurai or some such. His death was offscreen so you never know what really happened!
Yeah, he was one of my favourites. Shame that they didn't do more with him.

And speaking of the Endurance crew, isn't it just a little bit odd that all the deaths were men? I'm not complaining or anything, but it was enough for me to raise an eyebrow. Naturally Sam couldn't be one of the deaths, but what about Reyes? I was fully expecting that she'd bite the dust.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If it makes you feel any better there's concept art of some white chick as an Endurance Crew member that doesn't appear to be in the game so just pretend she died when the ship wrecked. :v:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Yodzilla posted:

If it makes you feel any better there's concept art of some white chick as an Endurance Crew member that doesn't appear to be in the game so just pretend she died when the ship wrecked. :v:

Wasn't she supposed to be the sacrifice at the beginning? So she was kinda screwed either way.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Yodzilla posted:

In the original trailers/gameplay demos, she's the person you find strung up when Lara first gets free at the start of the game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Yodzilla posted:

I was totally expecting that to happen and was very disappointed when it never did. They might be saving the surprise for the sequel, though...

EDIT: Wish they'd fixed the number of save-files earlier. Glad they fixed it, though!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 26, 2013

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Dan Didio posted:

In the original trailers/gameplay demos, she's the person you find strung up when Lara first gets free at the start of the game.

Steph!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Holy poo poo this game. Played through until Shanty Town, had a blast, then because I didn't want to rip through the game too fast (and because I didn't have so much time available) I went back to the previous areas and tried to complete the exploration challenges. Got used to the comparatively slow pace and sedate exploration.

Got back into the story tonight. The Bridge. what an a amazing sequence. loving hell, I love this game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I like how by the end of the game (extremely minor spoiler) one of Lara's pant legs start ripping off right where her tiny pre-reboot short shorts cut off. I thought they might go all the way with that one.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Winks posted:

Wasn't she supposed to be the sacrifice at the beginning? So she was kinda screwed either way.

Dan Didio posted:

Oh I didn't even think about that. I guess Lara didn't seem recognize her besides "oh that's awful" so I didn't think it was anyone from the ship.

Another thing I liked about this game is how when backtracking you can run into enemies going about their business cleaning up after you or just kind of doing other jobs and having conversations among themselves. It definitely breathes a little life into the game instead of having them be empty arenas when you want to go re-exploring.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So I'm on my second playthrough and I got to the part where Lara gets caught in that snare and has to shoot the guys who are coming towards her while hanging upside down. FOR FUCKS SAKE, DON'T FAIL THAT PART. The hunter just mercilessly cuts Lara's throat and it may be the most brutal thing I've ever seen.

Still, love this game. So much fun and I can easily see myself doing some more playthroughs. It's that good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Yodzilla posted:

Oh I didn't even think about that. I guess Lara didn't seem recognize her besides "oh that's awful" so I didn't think it was anyone from the ship.

It's not. In the final game, the dialogue and model are changed.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Does XP/Salvage scale with a higher difficulty?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Bunch of DLC added on Steam, most for $.99. Seems like a lot of useless weapon upgrades and MP stuff, but they did add the three single-player outfits! May pick those up for the Aviatrix if anything. Still no Zach Levi MP character :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Picked up the three single player skins for a total of 2.37€.
Because hey, I probably have more than that laying about as change in my car.

Normally I don't pay for skins, that's what modding is for, but when they're 73 cents each, and for a game I really enjoyed; I can live with it.
Now, where's those extra tombs/extra story content DLCs? :colbert:

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 26, 2013

• Locked thread