Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

redjenova posted:

...anyone?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are essentially asking is whether your graphic design/motion graphics portfolio is a good start for a possible animation/concept art/something-something digital art job in games or film. If this is your question, then the answer is no, it does not.

The thing about games and/or film art jobs is this: larger studios are looking for specialization where smaller studios are looking for specialization along with general proficiency at a lot of things. Your portfolio seems to me like a decently solid student's design portfolio, but it is obviously a design portfolio. Looking through your blog at your drawing and such suggests to me that you are not anywhere near where you would need to be for a games or film concept art gig. Maybe at a smaller mobile studio, but definitely not at a bigger developer. You mentioned that you are only starting to learn 3D, so I wouldn't expect you to produce any portfolio-worthy 3D pieces for a couple years unless you are a savant.

So I guess my reaction is that your portfolio does not match your ambitions and you aspire to industries that look specifically for finely honed skills in specific areas. You could possibly look into UI (user interface) jobs in the games industry. They handle all of the information feedback of a game from HUDs to menus and the like and work a lot in Flash and Scaleform for setting all of that up. Alternatively, some of your stuff seems like it would be at home in the mobile gaming (iPhone games) arena where art tends to be 2D, cleaner, and more graphical.

If you were asking where you should be applying right now with that portfolio, I would suggest 1) design firms, 2) mobile games, or 3) UI for games. For anything else, you have a long way to go towards impressing employers enough to get an interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

mutata posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are essentially asking is whether your graphic design/motion graphics portfolio is a good start for a possible animation/concept art/something-something digital art job in games or film. If this is your question, then the answer is no, it does not.

The thing about games and/or film art jobs is this: larger studios are looking for specialization where smaller studios are looking for specialization along with general proficiency at a lot of things. Your portfolio seems to me like a decently solid student's design portfolio, but it is obviously a design portfolio. Looking through your blog at your drawing and such suggests to me that you are not anywhere near where you would need to be for a games or film concept art gig. Maybe at a smaller mobile studio, but definitely not at a bigger developer. You mentioned that you are only starting to learn 3D, so I wouldn't expect you to produce any portfolio-worthy 3D pieces for a couple years unless you are a savant.

So I guess my reaction is that your portfolio does not match your ambitions and you aspire to industries that look specifically for finely honed skills in specific areas. You could possibly look into UI (user interface) jobs in the games industry. They handle all of the information feedback of a game from HUDs to menus and the like and work a lot in Flash and Scaleform for setting all of that up. Alternatively, some of your stuff seems like it would be at home in the mobile gaming (iPhone games) arena where art tends to be 2D, cleaner, and more graphical.

If you were asking where you should be applying right now with that portfolio, I would suggest 1) design firms, 2) mobile games, or 3) UI for games. For anything else, you have a long way to go towards impressing employers enough to get an interview.

Thanks! Essentially your last paragraph was what I was looking for, and what I could work on if I wanted to build up a portfolio for something more concept art related. Obviously the answer is concept art! But my current design portfolio is built up primarily from college assignments, so it just naturally developed into what it is now, and I'm not going back to school for concept art or 3D or anything like that.

Thank you so much though! The UI stuff I hadn't really thought of.

Chernabog posted:

As it stands, for games, there's nothing in your portfolio that demonstrates that. If you want to do game animation you need to have a lot of cycles, attacks, jumps and stuff like that. If you want to do concept art, like you said, you need to work on that. 3D modeling? A bunch of models. You get the idea.

I think that you reel right now would have a better chance at getting you a job in advertisement, or possibly in film. But I don't really know much about those industries so this is just a guess.

I like your motion graphics, that's good stuff. I'm not so sure about those shots with the TV noise. It looks like you just pasted a video and put a filter on top. The animation on the AT parts isn't very strong either, it looks too much like it's tweened. I assume it IS tweened, but you want to make it look like it's not. Especially on the shot with Jake bouncing. Oh, and there is one extra frame at the end of that shot when it changes scene.

Really? That's weird about the last frame, I could have sworn up and down I edited that. Ah well. I'll have to fix that.
At any rate I'm polishing up my motion graphics portfolio a lot in this last semester. My design program has no specialties and is very print and branding and the tiniest bit of web stuff so I've kind of done my own thing in the last year to animate and learn After Effects and so on. Which is how the AT one was made, but it was basically the look I was going for, very puppeted. I would tweak it to make that look better though! The Videodrome video is basically that, essentially my first After Effects projects. I want to keep the portfolio polished so maybe I'll lose that piece. There are some more recent things I've done that would tighten it up a little more than it is now. Thank you!

As for the other stuff I guess it makes sense to just get in it and do as much work as you can. I feel pretty confident in my drawing ability that I could do this, but I don't think it would be at any sort of professional level any time soon. Stuff to think about!

mareep fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 1, 2013

Aizen
Dec 24, 2006
I like making love to mother.
I have a question for those of you who've graduated with an illustration degree. Right now I'm majoring in Visual Effects at SCAD and I'm realizing that I'm not as passionate about it as my peers, and I'm worried that I'll burn out before I'm able to complete a degree (let alone keep working in VSFX after I graduate). I would say drawing is my true passion but I didn't major in illustration for a number of reasons, the main one being that I think illustration as a major is not worth the $100,000+ and four years of my life. Is there anything in a degree that I can't learn on my own, with lots of study and practice? Is there something critical in an illustration program that I can't get from mentors, tutorials, networking, and lots of willpower? I'm also a third-year senior now and I honestly don't know if I have the time and money to keep spending on classes. Part of why I'm posting this is because I'm thinking of graduating in VSFX just so I have a degree and, if it actually ends up going horribly awry, see if I can break into illustration on my own.

Ah goddamnit, I wish there was something I could do that's in between VSFX and illustration. Texturing? Matte painting? Is there anything out there that would let me continue to draw without wasting everything I've learned from VSFX? :(

Aizen fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 3, 2013

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Paid summer internships available :siren:

We just posted for 6 open positions to do full time rights work this summer. So if you're interested in getting publishing experience, are in college or a recent graduate, will be in Boston May-August, and enjoy getting paid a semi-decent hourly wage, this internship is for you

CAVEAT: not an editorial or creative position. Just office work, but very legit experience.

PM for link/details

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 4, 2020

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

The background needs to change, and your work is poorly displayed. Thumbnails too small, descriptions too small, awkward layout on mobile devices.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Black Noise posted:

So I'm majoring in Art Direction at college for creative studies (Detroit) and every agency despite giving me their business card and some fake enthusiasm saying they'd love to give me feedback and guidance as long as I contact them I end up getting ignored. So I am wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on my current portfolio that I have been submitting and some suggestions for changes that need to be made http://marcusmart.in

It looks horribly 80s to me. The logo and background especially.

You need to add some explanation of what the projects are. What was your brief? What were you given? I have no idea what I'm looking at half the time. What on earth is the Taste Odyssey thing? (Note the spelling of 'odyssey' - you need to thoroughly spellcheck your site). Is it an ad for a cereal? If so, why the 2001 reference?

You need to give some creative rationale to your choices. What did Shannon Loren ask for and how did your design answer the brief? I have to say though, I think both logos are ugly and I have no clue what the Dairy Noire one is supposed to represent.

What is the Sprite thing supposed to be? It doesn't look like an ad - ads don't usually mention things like "created as a competitor to X". If this is meant to be customer-facing, remove it altogether, because it would never run. If it's meant to be an infographic or something, explain that.

Remove the Zack and Miri executions from the 'Everything's Cleaner' section. You might get away with parodying 50 Shades (for gently caress's sake) and Playboy (maybe) but you'd never get away with that level of rip-off. You've just taken the poster and changed a word. Suggesting that would ever run makes you look incredibly naive.

On the independent film channel one, re-do the 'gently caress' execution. It's next to unreadable. Again, though, the whole execution makes you look immature because of course no one's going to put up a billboard saying "poo poo" in a public place. Could you not think about some other media where it would actually work? Online on adult-orientated websites, maybe?

For the ones I haven't mentioned individually, you need to tell me what on earth they are before I can tell you if they have any merit.

I'd be really interested in hearing a designer's reaction to your site, because the background and logo really do look horribly "80s wrapping paper" to me.

nomarsh
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone here ever done any art tutoring? It's something I think I'd be good at, teaching outside a classroom setting more one on one, but my terrible financial situation is motivating me to do it for real. If anyone with experience would be willing to share their curriculum or how much they charged it'd really help. :>

ChakAttack
Apr 13, 2011

My boss is terrible and notoriously cheats her employee out of money. Incidentally she just spent 30k remodeling two bathrooms, went to London for a weeklong vacation last week, and is going to the beach this week... So she told me she feels like she paid me too much for the logo I designed for her company a couple months ago. So now she is switching me from an hourly rate to a flat fee. She wants me to update her webpage now (mainly doing coding, to be honest, but also some graphic work). All my other web design experience has been personal or for my unpaid internship, so I have no idea what to charge. I'm good and I work fast, but I'm not at professional-level. Any advice what to ask for?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Before anyone answers that, you ARE looking for a different job right now, RIGHT?!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Black Noise posted:

So I'm majoring in Art Direction at college for creative studies (Detroit) and every agency despite giving me their business card and some fake enthusiasm saying they'd love to give me feedback and guidance as long as I contact them I end up getting ignored. So I am wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on my current portfolio that I have been submitting and some suggestions for changes that need to be made http://marcusmart.in

You can't really complain about this, given that you came to the thread, got advice, ignored all of it and didn't even come back to say thanks.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

ChakAttack posted:

My boss is terrible and notoriously cheats her employee out of money. Incidentally she just spent 30k remodeling two bathrooms, went to London for a weeklong vacation last week, and is going to the beach this week... So she told me she feels like she paid me too much for the logo I designed for her company a couple months ago. So now she is switching me from an hourly rate to a flat fee. She wants me to update her webpage now (mainly doing coding, to be honest, but also some graphic work). All my other web design experience has been personal or for my unpaid internship, so I have no idea what to charge. I'm good and I work fast, but I'm not at professional-level. Any advice what to ask for?

Figure out how many hours the updates will take you to code, multiply those hours by two, and then charge (at least) three times as much per hour as your former hourly wage. Also, provide your awful boss with a strict proposal and contract that says what you will and will not do on the website for that flat amount of money. If she balks (she will), just walk, because your work situation sounds loving awful and exploitative.

Is this some sort of internship or contract-based job? Because what the gently caress.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Black Noise posted:

My website is being hacked at the moment, no one is complaining

And this stops you coming back to say thanks to the people who took the time to look at your site and write out advice for you how, exactly?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Black Noise posted:

I figured I would make the suggested changes and return for feedback. I apologize for not taking this thread seriously enough.

It's not the thread, it's people's time. I've met a lot of people like you in advertising - people who ask for help and gladly take up your time when you're stretched, then don't bother to say thanks or even get back in touch. It's why so many of the more senior people, people who you complain ignore you, are jaded and don't help anymore.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: eh, nevermind, not worth it.

mutata fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 24, 2013

ChakAttack
Apr 13, 2011

Authentic You posted:

Figure out how many hours the updates will take you to code, multiply those hours by two, and then charge (at least) three times as much per hour as your former hourly wage. Also, provide your awful boss with a strict proposal and contract that says what you will and will not do on the website for that flat amount of money. If she balks (she will), just walk, because your work situation sounds loving awful and exploitative.

Is this some sort of internship or contract-based job? Because what the gently caress.

That sounds good to me. Thanks!

Long story kind of. My boyfriend's mom works for this tutoring/college coaching business, and no one there knew anything about getting kids into art programs. But my bf's mom knew I majored in Art, so she recommended me to our boss, who hired me as a student adviser. (That was a cushy job. Got paid more per hour and all I had to do was help potential art students.) Then, when she needed a new logo, the easiest thing was for her to ask me. And now I've somehow become their graphic designer/dog to kick around.

mutata posted:

Before anyone answers that, you ARE looking for a different job right now, RIGHT?!

Me? Haha, yes.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If you're doing development it's not out the world to ask for $50hr minimum. I can't give out my companies rate, but we're a higher than that.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I really hate this internship that I have. I am the ONLY 3D person here, literally there is no one else, and I'm a student. They want me to make a photo realistic car (they paid to download one) in 3DS Max and its a program that I've been using for two weeks (I learned on maya but I'm not great at that either). I have no loving clue what I'm doing, I can't make it look pretty, and this jackass that I work with keeps saying, "well, do more research!" Yeah buddy that's not helping going on google.com and googling "photo realistic car!"

Anyways I feel stupid and incapable because I can't make this drat car look right, and I feel like I should be learning FROM SOMEONE and not doing all the work myself. Maybe I'm wrong, and this is good to learn like this, and this is how the real world is? Am I just complaining and being lazy/not working hard enough?

I need the experience for my resume too. There aren't many 3D internships in my city, and my portfolio isn't very good either which makes it hard to get an internship (or job when I graduate) with so much competition. I think the only reason I got this one is because no one else applied. I don't know what to do or what to think. :smith:

Edit: I forgot to mention they expect me to work at home and over the weekends so I have no time to do my schoolwork. They tell me "do x and y" over the weekend and if I say I can't or I couldn't do it on Monday they act all angry.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 25, 2013

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's kind of your call at this point. Yeah, it'd be way more useful to have someone to instruct you or at least to bounce ideas off of, but the reality is you don't. In this way your job is extremely accurate to real life: your options are a) suck it up, buy some books, and make it work or b) leave. :(

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I really hate this internship that I have. I am the ONLY 3D person here, literally there is no one else, and I'm a student. They want me to make a photo realistic car (they paid to download one) in 3DS Max and its a program that I've been using for two weeks (I learned on maya but I'm not great at that either). I have no loving clue what I'm doing, I can't make it look pretty, and this jackass that I work with keeps saying, "well, do more research!" Yeah buddy that's not helping going on google.com and googling "photo realistic car!"

Anyways I feel stupid and incapable because I can't make this drat car look right, and I feel like I should be learning FROM SOMEONE and not doing all the work myself. Maybe I'm wrong, and this is good to learn like this, and this is how the real world is? Am I just complaining and being lazy/not working hard enough?

I need the experience for my resume too. There aren't many 3D internships in my city, and my portfolio isn't very good either which makes it hard to get an internship (or job when I graduate) with so much competition. I think the only reason I got this one is because no one else applied. I don't know what to do or what to think. :smith:

Edit: I forgot to mention they expect me to work at home and over the weekends so I have no time to do my schoolwork. They tell me "do x and y" over the weekend and if I say I can't or I couldn't do it on Monday they act all angry.

Make it work. Ask them for instruction. Document this. If they don't help you, then at least you have documentation when they try to fire you. Secondly pirate Lynda tutorials.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

There's not a lot you can do about it right now, but FYI this is not a legal internship and you are being exploited (to the detriment of someone - possibly you - actually getting paid to do that work).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Chitin posted:

There's not a lot you can do about it right now, but FYI this is not a legal internship and you are being exploited (to the detriment of someone - possibly you - actually getting paid to do that work).

I just looked up the legality of this and yeah, I don't think this is a legal internship. According to the department of labor rules I should be learning like in a classroom, which I'm not since I'm the only 3D person, and they shouldn't be profiting off me, but they released a video that they got paid for with my work in it. gently caress. It's terrible because if I don't do this I'll have nothing on my resume, but you're right, I AM being exploited. This really sucks, but apparently this happens a whole lot these days because of the economy and companies being cheap.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You have really good grounds to file a complaint.

Although, yea it really is like this in the real world. Make it work or you're stuck late/working on weekends.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in BFC so if it doesn't belong here please just tell me to move it! :ohdear:

I'm a recent grad and I'm trying to get into publishing. I'm in a small town though, and while I'm willing to relocate (anywhere) I can't do it for an unpaid internship (ie three months no salary). I'm having some priority problems job hunting, and thought maybe if I wrote out my situation someone with some publishing experience could point me in the right direction.

So, right now: Graduated uni in December with a BA in Linguistics, which isn't as good as English for publishing but I have an English Grammar concentration so at least there's that. Currently living in a smallish town in Oregon. I have a part-time job as a transcriber that pays some of my bills. I paid Resume to Interviews to help me get a great resume.

I did a remote internship with a vanity press. I can't decide whether or not to include it on my resume. I did developmental/line-editing and worked with an author from first draft through print so it was pretty valuable experience, but I know the reputation that vanity publishing has.

I know I should probably relocate and just look for something non-industry to tide me over. I could afford to relocate to Portland, OR, which has lots of small press but no big publishing, or to San Fran where I have some couches I could surf while getting set up, but I know the real publishing is in NYC. Moving to NYC with no job and no contacts is a huge risk and would use all my savings really quickly.

Should I just bite the bullet and move without a job and hope I can wait tables and work a real internship or something? Obviously I'm applying to all the editorial assistant/entry-level publishing jobs I can find in any city, and all the remote (legitimate) internships and paid internships I can find. I just don't want to burn the last of my savings moving to an insanely expensive city if it won't significantly help my job prospects, and I don't know if it's smarter to move to a slightly larger city like Portland or SF if I would just have to move to NYC for a publishing job.

I'm sorry if this is a little scattered. I'm really not sure what the best bet is for a good start in this industry.

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
guuush

AKP fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 24, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Goons, I want to be an environmental concept artist. (E: Or a background artist or anything like that, I just want to draw trees and buildings, it's my calling)

I'm halfway through a Design degree and have started putting together a portfolio, although I'm not very good (yet!) I just wanted to ask - what sort of things should I be putting in there? Obviously the answer is "environmental concept art", but is art I've made for my personal projects, or specifically for the portfolio, okay? My teachers are adamant that in a portfolio, work that you do for clients is always worth more to a potential employer than personal stuff, because it shows how well you can work to a brief and compromise with client demands; but I'm the only wannabe concept artist in the batch (because I chose the wrong degree) and they're coming at it from a graphic or web design standpoint for the most part. If I wanted to rack up some volunteer work as a graphic designer, there's a million exploitative unpaid "valuable experience and a great portfolio piece!" job advertisements out there asking for logos or business cards, but there's not exactly an overabundance of people looking for free environmental concept art.

So should I:

1) Find lovely unpaid work that has nothing to do with the field, but is design and will give me a proven track record with clients?

2) Fill my portfolio with poo poo I've just made up? (I can dream up decent environments by myself.)

3) Randomly cold-call film / animation / gaming studios and beg and plead to be allowed to make something for them pro bono?

4) Some option I haven't thought of?

Please help. Most of my teachers don't even know what concept art is, yet alone how to help me make a portfolio for it. :(

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 3, 2013

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
I'd say that at the very least, start with option #2. Get a bunch of practice in and demonstrate that you can produce good quality, finished work. Also, get really, really good at perspective, not the type where you draw your little vantage points and use a ruler, but the type you just freehand it because you KNOW perspective that well. Also lighting. And drawing buildings and nature from reference.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Authentic You posted:

I'd say that at the very least, start with option #2. Get a bunch of practice in and demonstrate that you can produce good quality, finished work. Also, get really, really good at perspective, not the type where you draw your little vantage points and use a ruler, but the type you just freehand it because you KNOW perspective that well. Also lighting. And drawing buildings and nature from reference.

Thank you! That's the answer I was secretly hoping for.

I love perspective, but it's kind of a one-sided relationship at the moment, and my grasp of lighting is amateur at best so I'll practice practice practice. I'm so happy, now I have an excuse to stay up until 4am drawing cityscapes ~for my career~

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Art is one if the only professions that you can make your own experience for. It's always better to be able to point at a huge, big budget, high profile production and say "See that? I did that. :smug:" but you will NEVER get there without a loving awesome portfolio and you wont ever have a loving awesome portfolio without personal projects.

My advice is to make up your own projects, but treat them like professional jobs. Pretend you are working on various films/games. Do fantasy and realistic urban and romcom. Make up titles for these fake productions and present your work as if you were presenting them to a director. Tell stories in your work. Give yourself deadlines that you think you'll have in the industry. Work like you are already where you want to be.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010
I'd say at first just work on getting your work together, and personal projects. If you're reaching there will always be stuff to aspire to.
From there, start setting new restrictions and pretend you have a client. "Creative director hates blue, so I had to..." "I've been focusing a lot on shading, so I restricted myself only to line weight..."
etc.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Midlevel Publishing Jobs Available

We're hiring at least 2 permissions editors at my educational publisher in Boston, to do evaluations on incoming manuscripts and project manage EAs doing clearance work. PM me for details.

You should have 2 years Rights experience, or honestly, if you've been an EA or AE and done your own perms that's probably enough. We've only had 23 applicants so far and word is they're pretty lackluster.

heybrother
Jan 4, 2013
Hey goons, I'm trying to decide between schools to pursue some sort of film undergraduate degree and I'm having a lot of difficulty. I'm choosing between Wesleyan University(Connecticut) and UCLA, and was wondering if anyone had any positive or negative personal stories, stories from a friend, or had any loving association with either of their film departments at one time. While UCLA is closer to home, more financially suitable, and in California, their film department is much more selective and I could end up getting boned if I don't get admitted my Junior year. Wesleyan is more lax in admissions to film and has been known to have a strong alumni. While their both great options and I've done all possible research on both schools, I'm just looking for some goon opinions or personal experience. In other words, make life decisions for me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Does anyone know of a good resource for finding quality online graduate programs for the arts? I thought I'd ask as my initial googling throws back pages of random listings, all of which could be great or terrible.

As background, I'm a 3d artist working in the video game industry, and I have a BFA in "Animation" (even though I'm not an animator), but I'm gravitating towards a more general art masters like visual development, graphic design, or maybe even studio art.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience or knew of any specific online programs I could check out.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

Avshalom posted:

Goons, I want to be an environmental concept artist. (E: Or a background artist or anything like that, I just want to draw trees and buildings, it's my calling)

Good for you!

I've been working as an concept artist (with a heavy focus on environments) and digital matte painter in VFX and video games since 2007. I also decided that concept art was my calling about halfway into a generalist 3D/VFX-education. Here's a few pointers:

- Your teachers aren't wrong, having work experience is an important factor, but looking at the portfolio of a young artist hoping to take the first steps in the industry, I would rather see a portfolio filled to the brink with the stuff that YOU love to paint. Not only does it give us a better view of what you excel at, labors of love usually come out looking better for this purpose.

- Finish your degree. Actually, don't worry about your portfolio just yet. Practice, practice, practice. Do quick sketches and studies of nature (or photographs) with a focus on perspective, form and light. I recommend James Gurney's books "Imaginitive Realism" and "Color and Light" to all aspiring concept artists. He works in traditional media, but his lessons on theory and process are universal.

- Try to diversify somewhat. Ie, not only draw dark sci-fi cityscapes :)

- Again, draw a lot from observation. Give yourself a deadline each time. 1, maximum 2 hours, when starting out. Things like tablets have made it real easy to do digital plein-air drawings of nature, if traditional media isn't your thing. Showing that you understand light, perspective and composition is crucial.

- Don't work for free (unless it's for a student/personal project with some buddies) or ask studios to do pro-bono work. Finish your degree, focus on your work and have the most kickass portfolio you possibly can ready for when you graduate. You don't have to be a fully-fledged accomplished artist by then. 95% of the stuff I know I learned after graduating, so just try to do the best you can.

There's of course a lot more that can be said. Feel free to hit me up at my SA username at gmail.com . I'd be happy to take a look at your work!

Best of luck, and keep at it!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:neckbeard:

Thanks for the feedback! I'm practicing as much as I can while juggling my ludicrous university workload and a retail job. I have just over eighteen months left until I graduate, by which time I hope to have built up something great - and I have a year until I have to find a six-month internship as a compulsory part of my degree, by which time I hope to have built up something mediocre-approaching-good.

I'll definitely try to get a hold of the Gurney books! I used to love Dinotopia as a kid. :3: Right now I'm trying to save up enough money that I can quit my job after Christmas and have a solid six months to work on a portfolio before hunting for an internship. In the meantime, I'll practice like crazy. (And try to get a few finished pieces done, of course.)

Would you recommend diversifying media as well as subject matter? Obviously most concept art is digital nowadays, but should I throw in some traditional or mixed media pieces to show that I can do them (or because they look good)? Also, picking up some 3D modelling skills will only help me in the long run, won't it?

It's pretty gratifying that everybody's telling me not to work for free, because my university keeps forwarding all these "opportunities" for ~experience and a great portfolio piece~ to the students and telling us to take them because it'll help our careers, and I get pretty angry about it.

I won't email you just yet, but I'll save your address for when I've actually got some stuff to show, if that's okay? Thank you so much. :)

Also:

quote:

Ie, not only draw dark sci-fi cityscapes :)

How did you know? :(

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
Sure, feel free to save the address for later.

Here's another wall of text:
Definitely pick up Gurney's books. They're very affordable, and he does a great job explaining things without judging or pretense.

I wouldn't worry too much about finishing all your pieces right now. I say this because the danger is that you'll get stuck on a single piece for too long. Better then to do smaller, quicker paintings & studies, using only big brushes to nail things such as mood, lighting, perspective, composition etc for the next couple of months. Being able to produce highly detailed concept work is of course important, but without solid foundations you're making it very difficult for yourself :)

I can't stress the following enough, though: learn to see and understand light, form and atmosphere. Lighting that behaves realistically is key for environments, no matter what the subject matter is. When I was in school, a great tip I got from a teacher is that atleast two times a day break down the lighting in the environment you're in (a classroom, at work, walking down the street):
- what are the light sources (both direct and ambient), what direction do they have and what color are they?
- how is the light spreading and bouncing throughout the room?
- are the shadows sharp, or blurred? what color do they pick up from the environment?
Do the same before starting out on a study of a photograph or the view out your window.

Diversifying in media isn't a necessity starting out, but it can be a good way to break things up a bit when/if you feel stuck or frustrated. Much of the theory is universal, so you can often use what you've learned cross-media. It also lends itself to working outside, for nature studies etc. I'd say feel free to include them in your portfolio as long as you don't feel they're dragging the overall impression down.

Picking up basic 3D modelling, rendering and compositing skills is definitely a good thing. A lot of creature concept artists use 3D nowadays to block out their characters, and it's great fun. For environments, you can use it to block out and brainstorm very complex scenes (such as cityscapes or street scenes) and establish some basic lighting. Most importantly, you'll be able to communicate with a lot of different artists on your team later on.

The working for free might be more applicable to graphic designers, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't recommend it to aspiring concept artists. Especially if they're in a school environment. It's a unique opportunity to study and get the foundations down, you'll have plenty of client interaction later on :) Being able to produce great work is what counts at the end of the day. By all means though, get as much feedback as you possible can and get used to presenting unfinished work or quick sketches for suggestions.

Avshalom posted:

How did you know? :(
We see a lot of classic dark and gritty sci-fi portfolios (I did the same! Who doesn't love sci-fi? :D), and it takes a lot to stand out. Sometimes somebody has a good twist on it, though, and that can mean a lot, but usually it means that 80% of their images are monotone, pitch black with a lot of tiny, digital-looking brushstrokes. Try instead to bring that same city to life in broad, natural daylight on a surprisingly good post-apocalyptic day!

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

Does anyone know of any non-scam online graphic design courses where they give design assignments and it gets reviewed and critiqued? I'm not looking for lectures or software how-to's, I want someone to give me an assignment and then help me understand how to make it better.

I already have a degree and am not interested in getting another one, just want to take a class or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Is there any advice for someone looking to do a placement year? I'm finishing my second year at Bournemouth University in animation and haven't received any real replies back from the hundreds of emails I sent. This is the first year my course is actually letting us do placements so no-one is really sure what's going on.

At the moment I've tried to get everything all complete as possible to send out. I have my showreel and my portfolio at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzOAsmsbBKg and https://www.kodie.me respectively. It was hell trying to get them together between working 30 hour days to get deadlines met at uni, I even found time to update my showreel again and extend it a bit.

Anyway, I can't really change my work or my showreel at this point. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for or doing besides emailing absolutely everyone under the sun?

Edit: I should probably mention I am literally apply everywhere. I'm from England so I've applied all over here, plus a lot of places in America and Canada. I don't know how much employers are put off by applicants not having the visas yet. It's an expensive process and I think I need to know which company in which country will take me first.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 23, 2013