Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DrSunshine posted:

It makes sense to me now why the kill-a-roid didn't just splash down like a reasonable Newtonian object. Geno's beam apparently slowed its velocity enough such that it was momentarily nearly motionless.

You were just seeing things. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Saitama pushed the entire building into the ground when he jumped, I didn't see it before. :stonk:

It's such an amazing detail. The comic just continues to impress the hell out of me with every chapter.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Oh my gooooooddddd, this chapter just blew away our minds! There's goddamn details everywhere! EVERYWHERE! This chapter needs to be preserve in a museum of art. :stonk:

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
A lot of them were just aerial photos that had been run through Photoshop filters. Check the building in the last 3 pages.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I just love how this whole chapter strived so hard to look so impressive, and then on the last page Saitama is basically a cartoon character. Just beautiful.

Also loving the building being pushed down into the ground. That's an impressive touch.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

KittenofDoom posted:

A lot of them were just aerial photos that had been run through Photoshop filters.
Yeah, those are filters, but I'm wondering if he did it just because he ran out of time to draw it. :shepicide:

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Nyaa posted:

Yeah, those are filters, but I'm wondering if he did it just because he ran out of time to draw it. :shepicide:

Yeah, the overall quality seems to drop in the last few pages. I think he just got tired or ran out of time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Well the issue is settled" :smug:

I really can see poor Saitama getting demoted/sued for the damages the meteorites caused to the City in the next chapter. Poor guy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I doubt it. The old guy saw what happened, and even if mass destruction was wrecked upon the city, it's still orders of magnitude less than it would have been.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah, busted up buildings and streets, and hundreds or thousands of deaths is certainly better than a crater where the city used to be and nearby cities being wiped out. Seriously doubting Saitama will get credit for it, but we'll see! Wanna see more of Bang though, love the badass old guy trope and his character is great.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Goddamn murata is a supersaiyan mangaka. He is levels far above everyone else.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Obscil posted:

Yeah, the overall quality seems to drop in the last few pages. I think he just got tired or ran out of time.

It was almost certainly time constraints. I think it was earlier in this thread someone said he missed the deadline by a few hours.

It's great seeing this chapter complete after seeing getting slowly coloured over god knows how long. I was watching him do the panel where Genos is reflected in Metal Knights armour in three places and wondering what the gently caress he was doing, repeating these same little stokes on the different sections then him moving the paper so you saw Genos was also in the scene.
"Oh poo poo, that's what he's colouring in!?"

Because of OPM I've been reading Eyeshield 21 as well which has been fun. Got to a colour page and saw the football pitch reflected in one of the players helmets.
"Yup, that's our Murata..."

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Obscil posted:

Yeah he was pressed for time. The chapter was supposed to be up on the 21st, but he didn't get it turned in until 5am on the 22nd. Many of the backgrounds were left to the assistants. But Murata did probably at least half of them (I didn't really count though), maybe more. The building Genos and co. were on collapsing for one, that was pretty crazy to watch––he freehanded the whole thing! He also colored at least two pages in their entirety twice because I guess he wasn't happy with how they turned out the first time.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Holy poo poo, that was some of the most gorgeous art I've ever seen in a comic.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

VanSandman posted:

Holy poo poo, that was some of the most gorgeous art I've ever seen in a comic.

I know people are pointing out how it's basically just a photo of the city run through photoshop, but I still think this is absolutely awesome:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Murata has shown himself more than capable of drawing cityscapes before (that zoom out to show the meteor way back when this arc first started was hand drawn) so yeah, it was probably just to save time. This chapter was originally supposed to be out on the 14th, and then Murata decided to go with all color and extended the deadline by a week, and it was still a day late, after all.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

All that proves is how little deadlines sometimes matter in retrospect. Who isn't thankful for the fact that he went and made something truly exceptional out of the chapter?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

All that proves is how little deadlines sometimes matter in retrospect. Who isn't thankful for the fact that he went and made something truly exceptional out of the chapter?

If I had to wait an extra month to see this chapter I would have considered it worth it. Sometimes you can't rush genius.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
That last panel just absolutely perfectly sums up this manga. :swoon:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

I know people are pointing out how it's basically just a photo of the city run through photoshop, but I still think this is absolutely awesome:

Honestly, I barely even noticed the city scape in that picture. I only really noticed the city when Genos's take off basically shatters a building and surrounding pavement and the very final pages with Saitama landing. The only thing I noticed in that picture was the clouds and dust, which are amazing looking.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was wondering if anyone had noticed that Saitama's jump literally shoved the loving building into the ground. Anime physics (you'd have just made two really neat foot-shaped holes in the floor rather than somehow efficiently transfer all that power to the whole building to jump) but cool as poo poo.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If I had any sort of skill in making movies or .gifs, I'd be putting together some of the crazy flowing sequences. They are really stunning to watch.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

VanSandman posted:

If I had any sort of skill in making movies or .gifs, I'd be putting together some of the crazy flowing sequences. They are really stunning to watch.

Well luckily for you other people do, and they've made gifs out of all of them. There's also some pretty amazing AMVs... Amazing if you consider this is a comic, not an anime, and yet you'd swear you were watching one.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
You know, in one of the movie forum threads, someone was posting how it seems like all superheroes do three point landing/launches. I really like how Saitama just did a simple jump and land on two feet without any fancy hand gestures.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I was making sound effect sounds with my mouth for the entire chapter, it was that good.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

AgentHaiTo posted:

You know, in one of the movie forum threads, someone was posting how it seems like all superheroes do three point landing/launches. I really like how Saitama just did a simple jump and land on two feet without any fancy hand gestures.

If you look it looks like he just landed on his toes fairly softly and then set down his heals. You'd think with it being Saitama that he'd crack the road in half or something, but no. Somehow he just lands there, absolutely confident that everything's find despite the fact that he just killed a million people saving a billion people.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Liar posted:

If you look it looks like he just landed on his toes fairly softly and then set down his heals. You'd think with it being Saitama that he'd crack the road in half or something, but no. Somehow he just lands there, absolutely confident that everything's find despite the fact that he just killed a million people saving a billion people.

Well at that point he didn't have much choice.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
His deadpan response might indicate a unique character flaw.
I think by this point we can say that he isn't a hero for the purpose of saving people, rather to be a hero for its own sake.

At the begging he acts to save the kid from the giant crab, and the girl during issue #1...
but other than those I can't think of an example of him being a hero to save anyone, his motives have always been self-centered or to meet a quota such as a weekly requirement or a special sale day.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The Gorp posted:

His deadpan response might indicate a unique character flaw.
I think by this point we can say that he isn't a hero for the purpose of saving people, rather to be a hero for its own sake.

At the begging he acts to save the kid from the giant crab, and the girl during issue #1...
but other than those I can't think of an example of him being a hero to save anyone, his motives have always been self-centered or to meet a quota such as a weekly requirement or a special sale day.

He even admits this in the 5th issue

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

That last page with Saitama's chill-as-gently caress face while poo poo explodes behind him. I can't remember the last time a manga made me laugh that hard.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Swillkitsch posted:

That last page with Saitama's chill-as-gently caress face while poo poo explodes behind him. I can't remember the last time a manga made me laugh that hard.

It's not just that he's chill for me. It's that through this whole issue everything was drawn so drat well, and then on the very last page Saitama is a goddamn cartoon. I love how he's drawn in contradiction to everything else.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Swillkitsch posted:

One has a really good sense of comedic timing.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm not sure why I fell for it, but with all the scenes of devastation and the slow reveal of Saitama's face I kind of thought he would be concerned or upset about the carnage playing out around him. That fucker tricked me again.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Just marathoned through this manga in a few hours, I'm glad I discovered it when there wasn't a ton to catch up on yet. I wasn't familiar with any of Murata's work before this, but drat, the man can draw. I love the constant juxtaposition between super detailed badasses and clueless cartoon Saitama.

Am I the only one who thinks Bang is suspicious just because he looks like Dr. Gero from Dragon Ball? :v:

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I laughed more at the translation of the last panel because I thought Saitama went all "whoops" in the raw version but nope, he doesn't give a gently caress.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Star Platinum posted:

I wasn't familiar with any of Murata's work before this

Then go read Eyeshield 21. Really, it's a fantastic series.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Just substitute "the natural power possessed by geniuses," for, "the unique abilities only the blacks possess," and it's a perfect sports series.

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I never post in this forum so here goes: I love this loving manga. It's really inspiring how Saitama got powerful through just squats and push-ups. Yeah yeah it's a silly manga, but pushing yourself your hardest is great advice for all areas of life so it's always cool seeing badass protagonists espousing that kind of lifestyle.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Star Platinum posted:

Just marathoned through this manga in a few hours, I'm glad I discovered it when there wasn't a ton to catch up on yet. I wasn't familiar with any of Murata's work before this, but drat, the man can draw. I love the constant juxtaposition between super detailed badasses and clueless cartoon Saitama.

This is now the lockscreen wallpaper on my phone:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Edged Hymn posted:

I never post in this forum so here goes: I love this loving manga. It's really inspiring how Saitama got powerful through just squats and push-ups. Yeah yeah it's a silly manga, but pushing yourself your hardest is great advice for all areas of life so it's always cool seeing badass protagonists espousing that kind of lifestyle.
I don't think it's possible to overrate this manga. The writing is genre-savvy as gently caress, the art is gorgeous and the comedic timing is brilliant. No three-episode test or any kind of silly caveat necessary either, anyone who's watched an episode of Power Rangers would appreciate the humour.

This is a gateway drug of a series in that you could show it to anyone even remotely on the fence about manga and they'd be hooked.