Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Final Fantasy III does not qualify as "something good".

Also, I strongly suspect that once this thing tanks, Doublefine adventure won't come out on it unless OUYA literally paid for it.

They did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

peter gabriel posted:

I have, and you know what, I am actually looking into buying one of these if only to do an unboxing for this thread!

But then, everywhere I look I bump into stuff like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-...181076332312%26

And suddenly I lose the will to buy an OIOPOIOIUDODYYYA!!!

Allow me to introduce you to the last gaming system you'll ever need:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-GAMES-SUPER-ENTERTAINMENT-SYSTEM-111-1-WIRELESS-PLUG-N-PLAY-FAMICON-SLO-/150935203966

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Final Fantasy III does not qualify as "something good".
Some people liked it, i guess. It's not amazing, but it's head and shoulders above the other "games" i've seen for the thing.

quote:

Also, I strongly suspect that once this thing tanks, Doublefine adventure won't come out on it unless OUYA literally paid for it.

...Also, isn't the codename for DoubleFine Adventure Game "RED". Y'know, the same name as that 100% Brony game?
...Wait, what?

Nevermind, i don't want to know. The game is codenamed "reds", though.

Wasper fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 24, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You should have stuck with the Genesis.

Well played indeed!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Wasper posted:

Some people liked it, i guess. It's not amazing, but it's head and shoulders above the other "games" i've seen for the thing.

That's correct. One of the best games on Ouya will be a port of an android port of a 2006 DS remake of a game made in 1990.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

When the judge sentences Julie Urhman for tax evasion, when he slams his gavel he can scream out OUYA!

This honestly makes me hope the I WANT SOME HIP HIP HOP SOME HIP HIP HOP GIVE ME SOME HIP HIP HOP is such a newsworthy failure that she gets to host Saturday Night Live and gets to do a Maine Justice sketch.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I decided to try out MonoGame today and to my surprise there's a LEON BUDD option for creating new projects. So I guess if my game turns out lovely I can just say it's satirical and submit it to the OUYA store.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Wasper posted:

Nevermind, i don't want to know. The game is codenamed "reds", though.

Fun fact: even though they haven't announced it formally for some reason, Tim posted on the forums that it's proper name is going to be "Broken Age".

Which is almost as good a name as the MOAI.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DalaranJ posted:

That's correct. One of the best games on Ouya will be a port of an android port of a 2006 DS remake of a game made in 1990.

Considered to be one of the worst in the series.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DalaranJ posted:

This is what happens when you don't put emphasis on getting games for your system until the 11th hour. I have to say I am truly in awe at how pathetic the game situation is.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I have to say I was expecting the SMOOTHUPINYA to launch with a small line up of poor games, but a launch with 5-6 unplayable trashgames would exceed my wildest dreams. Look forward to seeing the rationalizations as to why the failed launch doesn't mean that the BOOTYA is an inherently flawed product or that Crazyeyes is bad at her job.

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

I Greyhound posted:

Look forward to seeing the rationalizations as to why the failed launch doesn't mean that the BOOTYA is an inherently flawed product or that Crazyeyes is bad at her job.

Well, you see, the March launch is only for the true believers for the EPONYA. I'm sure each and every one of the 60k backers is gearing up to write their own game and the marketplace will be absolutely ripe with Steampunk Zombie Sidescrollers by June.

That, or the TV just isn't ready for the return of gaming.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Vulpine Complex posted:

Well, you see, the March launch is only for the true believers for the EPONYA. I'm sure each and every one of the 60k backers is gearing up to write their own game and the marketplace will be absolutely ripe with Steampunk Zombie Sidescrollers by June.

Must feel great to be one of those people who spent that extra cash on their devkits when they could have just waited a couple of months and got the same buggy, hardly operational shitbox that 59,999 people will be disappointed with.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I Greyhound posted:

I have to say I was expecting the SMOOTHUPINYA to launch with a small line up of poor games, but a launch with 5-6 unplayable trashgames would exceed my wildest dreams. Look forward to seeing the rationalizations as to why the failed launch doesn't mean that the BOOTYA is an inherently flawed product or that Crazyeyes is bad at her job.

Watching this whole thing, especially some of her interviews, really make Uhrman sound a lot like my mom when it comes to video games. A game is a game, just like a mug is a mug or a table is a table, right? Even if some of these developers are complete newbies, they'll still turn out something with four legs that you can eat dinner off of, won't they? They've got Visorman, which is JUST LIKE HALO!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Phenotype posted:

They've got Visorman, which is JUST LIKE HALO!

How loving DARE you, sir? How loving DARE you compare our magnum opus Visorman to that casual piece of crap? Halo was what brought us out of the glorious Goldeneye age and I WILL NEVER FORGIVE IT. Everything must be like the N64 because I turned 23 this year and I've realized that there are kids who didn't grow up playing the games I did, and that makes me MAD.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wasper posted:

They haven't run off with the money? Final fantasy 3, The cave, and the doublefine kickstarter are planned for release(According to wikipedia)?

The Cave isn't like, abysmally bad, but it's a shitload of "wasted potential" and frustrating mechanics. I'm really glad it's free on PS+ because if I paid for it I'd be pissed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

precision posted:

The Cave isn't like, abysmally bad, but it's a shitload of "wasted potential" and frustrating mechanics. I'm really glad it's free on PS+ because if I paid for it I'd be pissed.

This is known as "A Tim Schafer game."

The man can create setting and dialogue like nobody's business, but mechanics? Not so much.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

theflyingorc posted:

This is known as "A Tim Schafer game."

The man can create setting and dialogue like nobody's business, but mechanics? Not so much.

Except for the fact that he wasn't involved with The Cave other than as the studio head... he didn't write or design the thing, and you can be drat sure he didn't work on any programming.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Except for the fact that he wasn't involved with The Cave other than as the studio head... he didn't write or design the thing, and you can be drat sure he didn't work on any programming.

yeah the cave was Ron Gilbert's little project at double fine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Supernorn posted:

yeah the cave was Ron Gilbert's little project at double fine.

And it somehow manages to be more mechanically frustrating/archaic than games he made like 20 years ago. :iiam:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

precision posted:

And it somehow manages to be more mechanically frustrating/archaic than games he made like 20 years ago. :iiam:

Have you played The Baconing? It's a miracle that we got something even as good as The Cave out of Ron Gilbert nowadays.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Have you played The Baconing? It's a miracle that we got something even as good as The Cave out of Ron Gilbert nowadays.

I've played the first two Deathspanks, they were mediocre, but not terrible. Was The Baconing that much worse than the first two?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've played the first two Deathspanks, they were mediocre, but not terrible. Was The Baconing that much worse than the first two?

More of the same, less forgiving.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
And if you really wanted, for some reason, to be playing The Cave on a television, you could already be doing it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
You could play The Cave on a bunch of The Televisions. 4 The Televisions at once, even, considering that's how many versions that are able to be played on The Television.

What shits me off about Ron Gilbert is the fact he makes this terrible puzzle platformer filled with archaic design decisions, tedious backtracking (Hey, run back and forth, but you have to do it with 3 characters each time! Smashing) and completely unfunny writing, then just bails when it flops. Schafer basically lent him his studio to make a dumb passion project then he's all I'M OUT when it was done. I don't know why it offended me so much, but after the Deathspank games that guy is just a total hack in my eyes. I'm sure there's more to it than I'm inferring but whatever, Ron Gilbert sucks.

But whatever, the BABABOUYA is bringing great games back to The Television. Like The Cave.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
I tweeted about how horrible the cover art of Visorman is and now I'm being followed by the OUYA_forums_com Twitter account.

Are they simply just willing to blindingly follow anyone who ever talked once about the BUTTERFLY, no matter what's being said about it? Or they simply just want to tally a complete account of the negative reception this thing's getting so far and will likely get as it starts shipping to all of the backers?

I'm just going to be really surprised if there ever is a retail launch of the WAYAMAJING to begin with because things look really, really bad thus far.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

I'm just going to be really surprised if there ever is a retail launch of the WAYAMAJING to begin with because things look really, really bad thus far.

If there is a retail launch, I would be very surprised if it's anything beyond online storefronts, or in the incredibly slim chance that it makes it into any big name stores, that it will make it further than the shelves weighed down by those Atari TV Game joysticks that nobody wants.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

There's probably some poor search engine optimisation monkey plinking away at that twitter account trying desperately to internet.

Dec 26, 2012

I tweeted about how horrible the cover art of Visorman is and now I'm being followed by the OUYA_forums_com Twitter account.

Are they simply just willing to blindingly follow anyone who ever talked once about the BUTTERFLY, no matter what's being said about it?

Yes. Any press is good press, duh. Even when it's bad press.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Are they simply just willing to blindingly follow anyone who ever talked once about the BUTTERFLY, no matter what's being said about it? Or they simply just want to tally a complete account of the negative reception this thing's getting so far and will likely get as it starts shipping to all of the backers?

I'd roll the dice that the creators of MU'ADIB are just treating any discussion of MYNAMEISAKILLINGWORD as a good thing and will just add more momentum to sales.

That are they're just stalking you, waiting to find that one moment and brutally murder you for making fun of GAMINGMESSIAH.

well HECK Phil fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 24, 2013

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I am so drat excited for launch day once people start making unboxing videos and reviews of the launch marketplace. This will be glorious.

It's tough being in this thread for so long. You start thinking, "Are we wrong? Everyone else seems excited for the Ouya. Articles are written without even exposing Julie's horrible lies and made-up BS! Maybe we're just in some echo chamber that's gone way off track over the past year."

What I'm saying is that I'm waiting for complete and utter vindication.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
If things go as expected on the 28th I submit the thread be renamed "Ouya: suddenly nothing happened" (shamelessly stolen from the Auspol thread in D&D).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The 28th is only when Kickstarter backers get it, right? The general launch with Amazon and retailers is in the summer?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If things go as expected on the 28th I submit the thread be renamed "Ouya: suddenly nothing happened" (shamelessly stolen from the Auspol thread in D&D).

Noice weather today mate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

The 28th is only when Kickstarter backers get it, right? The general launch with Amazon and retailers is in the summer?

Yes, that's correct. Because you absolutely want a small section of the market to have access to your product before its available to the impulse purchase crowd.

Because no console has ever had a bad review on launch day. Ever.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

No the 28th is when it ships to the kickstarter backers, we won't hear/see anything until April.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

KillerMojo posted:

No the 28th is when it ships to the kickstarter backers, we won't hear/see anything until April.

Yea that's what I meant, sorry. I assume the backers are gonna get the final hardware, have there been any pictures released of that? I don't mean renders but photographs, I'm curious about that since in a recent interview with the verge it was still the dev unit being shown.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Yea that's what I meant, sorry. I assume the backers are gonna get the final hardware, have there been any pictures released of that? I don't mean renders but photographs, I'm curious about that since in a recent interview with the verge it was still the dev unit being shown.

Absolutely nothin', as far as I know.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I am so drat excited for launch day once people start making unboxing videos and reviews of the launch marketplace. This will be glorious.

It's tough being in this thread for so long. You start thinking, "Are we wrong? Everyone else seems excited for the Ouya. Articles are written without even exposing Julie's horrible lies and made-up BS! Maybe we're just in some echo chamber that's gone way off track over the past year."

What I'm saying is that I'm waiting for complete and utter vindication.

Hah, this was basically my thinking a month or so earlier when everyone else seemed so excited about the SOULJA BOY. I remember Xboxpants hyping up the SXSW interview made me think he might be right, the highest of heresies. Then the interview turned to be a complete disaster and it has been non-stop hilarity since then.

I can't wait for the 28th and the sweet, sweet tears of 60,000 idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SLDrisk posted:

I'd roll the dice that the creatn ors of MU'ADIB are just treating any discussion of MYNAMEISAKILLINGWORD as a good thing and will just add more momentum to sales.

I tested that theory.

Sixteen minutes later:

• Locked thread