Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wow, Hulk must be super powerful now. Think of how hard he can punch people. Now that's what I call epic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
The cover gives me an idea that Fialkov is taking it in a good direction but I don't really care for the artist :/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those faces are pretty wonky, yeah.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
That cover looks familiar...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reed and Hulk as permanent villains in the ultimate universe is something I'd enjoy. Hell, I want to see Reed return to the city and attempt to destroy or conquer it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That preview has me excited. Can't wait for this.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mister Chompers posted:

That cover looks familiar...

Who's the guy on the far left?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Little Mac posted:

Who's the guy on the far left?

Ant-Man.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Oh yeah, I forgot about Ultimate Pym. Man, his life sure sucked.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Sorry, why are people pumped for this? Like, it looks like Reed is in full Fantastic 4 get up - has Hulk been up to anything in Ultimates recently though? I stopped reading Ultimates because of the recent schizophrenic run.

If anything this looks like it might just be them retconning out some of the good stuff in the last year and a half.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sion posted:

Sorry, why are people pumped for this? Like, it looks like Reed is in full Fantastic 4 get up - has Hulk been up to anything in Ultimates recently though? I stopped reading Ultimates because of the recent schizophrenic run.

If anything this looks like it might just be them retconning out some of the good stuff in the last year and a half.

The costume might just be an attempt to make Reed look more iconic for the cover, as for Hulk, I need to re-read Hickman's Ultimates to be sure, but I think the last we saw was evil Reed convincing hHulk that the Ultimates just abuse and take advantage of him.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Reed's takedown last year was embarrassingly poorly written and didn't make any sense since up til that point he was written to have all these contingencies and preparatory plans for a few hundred years.

This is one time I'd be ok with a "This was my plan all along" retcon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

The costume might just be an attempt to make Reed look more iconic for the cover, as for Hulk, I need to re-read Hickman's Ultimates to be sure, but I think the last we saw was evil Reed convincing hHulk that the Ultimates just abuse and take advantage of him.

The last we see of Hulk is Reed pumping him with Giant serum then Thor/Sue knocking him out, I think?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 16, 2013

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sion posted:

Sorry, why are people pumped for this? Like, it looks like Reed is in full Fantastic 4 get up

I don't trust a cover by Greg Land to be indicative of anything in the actual book.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012
Now only X-Force fans will be burdened with Humphries.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm on board with this if the Ultimates finally lose this time. They're a mostly unlikeable bunch in a morally grey world, let Reed and Banner and whatever get the dubya.

Still annoyed about the end of Ultimates 2, as fun as it was.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nilbop posted:

I'm on board with this if the Ultimates finally lose this time. They're a mostly unlikeable bunch in a morally grey world, let Reed and Banner and whatever get the dubya.

I kind of like that they're assholes; that's pretty much like the real world Spec Ops and Marines and such. They aren't hired and trained to be compassionate and kind, they're hard, aggressive assholes who don't have time to deal with emotional issues.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've been catching up on some ultimate stuff lately and just got the big battle in USM.

It's not just my mind playing tricks here or have Spider-Woman been huffing some of that Giant Woman serum/Pym Particles? I get it that Miles is supposed to be a short kid, but look at all those SHIELD agents. She gotta be like 7 feet in those first two panels before deflating :v:

And the cross-over really screwed the pooch with the pacing, Miles really didn't have any business going to a fight like that (and why they insist on pairing him up with the President for his training lessons as Spider-man I have no idea).

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Most of it is botched perspective and Miles being short by comparison. She's in the foreground in the first image so it's understandable that she's taller, I guess.

Totally agree that the crossover messed up the pacing. They really should have kept Miles out of it/focused it more on the attack on New York. I really liked the bits with Miles' Dad and Hydra.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

So. Ultimate Wolverine, huh. That was- that was kind of a comic that kind of pointed to something else? I don't really remember much about Ultimate Wolverine the character...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember he ended up having a conversation with Nick Fury as a head on a desk, but that's about it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

So I guess the implication is that Scarlet Witch is Wolverine Jr's Mom?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Dacap posted:

So I guess the implication is that Scarlet Witch is Wolverine Jr's Mom?

That would explain the bullshit magical metal claws that appeared out of no where.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I think Scarlet Witch / Quicksilver's mom is Jimmy's mom since Quicksilver calls him brother and not nephew. Probably. To be honest all the women in the comic have been so uncharacterised so far it could be anyone.

I've been enjoying Wolverine's How I Met Your Mother though. These self-contained miniseries are always a lot of fun.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Oops, yeah, I meant Scarlet Witch's mom.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just read the newer Iron Man series and I'm a bit confused by the end. Was that supposed to be Howard Stark still alive, or Howard Stark Sr and it's actually leading in to Armor Wars?, or is it just some unknown person right now

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I just read the newer Iron Man series and I'm a bit confused by the end. Was that supposed to be Howard Stark still alive, or Howard Stark Sr and it's actually leading in to Armor Wars?, or is it just some unknown person right now

Just some unknown guy.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Was is just me or was Ultimates 23 really, really good? It took Humphries a long time to get to the story he wanted to tell, and drat is it good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sigma posted:

Was is just me or was Ultimates 23 really, really good? It took Humphries a long time to get to the story he wanted to tell, and drat is it good.

I was coming here to ask the same thing. poo poo just got real interesting here.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Wow, yeah. This was a really good book. Shame Humphries has only started to come into his own at the very end of his run.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
There's a sale on the Ultimates on comixology that ends tonight.

I've read Ultimates 1 and 2 and thought they were pretty good, are any of these others worth looking into?

http://www.comixology.com/Ultimates-Marvel-Friday-Sale/comics-collection/1065

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

horsepeen posted:

There's a sale on the Ultimates on comixology that ends tonight.

I've read Ultimates 1 and 2 and thought they were pretty good, are any of these others worth looking into?

http://www.comixology.com/Ultimates-Marvel-Friday-Sale/comics-collection/1065

Hickman's run and this crrent one with Humphries. Do not read the Loeb run!!!!!!

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I'm probably in the minority here but I really enjoy Millar's Ultimate Avengers. Avoid everything by Jeph Loeb.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Ultimates Annual #2 is written by Charlie Huston who is a great writer but I can't actually remember anything about that issue so maybe get that as well?

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Genetic Toaster posted:

I'm probably in the minority here but I really enjoy Millar's Ultimate Avengers. Avoid everything by Jeph Loeb.

You're not alone. Millar's Ultimate Avengers was actually the first comic series I ever read, which lead me to getting into comics

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

UA is hit and miss but mostly good, it's just nowhere near as good as 1 and 2 and I think people were just so turned off by Ultimatum that we all swore the UltimateU off for a bit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am catching up with Ultimate X-men and wondering what Johnny Storm is up to

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I am catching up with Ultimate X-men and wondering what Johnny Storm is up to

He's almost been completely forgotten about. But I think I saw his name in a solicit recently.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I think he was looking after Morlocks? He's another character that Nick Spencer introduced and then failed to do anything with.

edit: I seem to remember Brian Wood tweeting that he wasn't using him, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He got taken in during the raid on the tunnels, was tortured and released, that's been about it.
Sue's been showing up in Ultimates more and it looks like Reed's going to be the villain again coming up, so I'm hoping Ben and Johnny show up for that.

And I still hold out hope for a UFF v2 with SpiderWoman filling in the last spot

• Locked thread