Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Volume posted:

Then why does the IMDB for it list actors playing the people?

Because there are dramatic reenactments throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

maxnmona posted:

Because there are dramatic reenactments throughout.
Holy poo poo. I feel so drat stupid now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched Imposter yet but documentaries always have the capability to be extremely manipulative to the point where it's hard to know what to believe anymore. Dear Zachary is one of the most brutal and hard to watch movies you'll ever see. It's also incredibly one sided and manipulative to the point where I've read reviews basically downright angry at the film makers in how they present the information. It's a movie with a clear agenda and also has no interest showing any other side of the story.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

I haven't watched Imposter yet but documentaries always have the capability to be extremely manipulative to the point where it's hard to know what to believe anymore. Dear Zachary is one of the most brutal and hard to watch movies you'll ever see. It's also incredibly one sided and manipulative to the point where I've read reviews basically downright angry at the film makers in how they present the information. It's a movie with a clear agenda and also has no interest showing any other side of the story.

What could possibly be the other side to the story? I'm genuinely curious. It doesn't seem to me like there's any way you could sympathize with anyone other than the main characters of the movie.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

The best thing about The Imposter: Until the reveal that he was a dude who had done this multiple times before (multiple may not be the right word, since it doesn't seem to capture how many times he had done it), I did feel a degree of sympathy for him. I mean, it was obvious that he had some sort of mental issue, because how else could anyone deceive for this long without any remorse or second-guessing (to be fair, he did second-guess, but that led to him just dying his hair and getting tattoos)? But, they capture him as a reasonably sane person, and I don't think the documentary ever led us to believe that his word could be doubted, which is kind of the same position the family was in. Yeah, it was obvious that he did have issues, but at the same time, the way he presented himself was fairly normal in the interview scenes. That is, until we get to the point where we find out that he's been calling people from his jail cell pretending to be a missing kid, and then the crazy dance routine, which made me say, "oh right, why the hell did I ever believe this guy in the first place?" The murder case seems likely, but in actuality, there's not much evidence there. The only true "evidence" is that the family took in a dude who looked nothing like their son, that there was reports of violence in the household before the real Nicholas disappeared, and the family became hostile when they started to be questioned about it. I am not really sure about the reports of drug use, but it was really odd that a 13-year old would have some small tattoos, but I don't know if this is my suburban upbringing showing. These things are all weird, but none of it points to a cover-up murder. There was also the part of the documentary where he said something about the half-brother showing up, and just telling him, "good luck." As if he knew that the kid was dead, because HE HAD KILLED THE KID! But again, considering the source, it's doubtful this actually transpired. But see, now we are discussing the possibility of murder, rather than the fact that a dude spent months pretending he was a missing child, and has done it so many times before.

Well, to be honest I still felt bad for him, even at the end. Even though his kidnapping story involving the military was bullshit, you could see that parts of it came from things that had probably really happened to him over the course of his life. When they examined him they did find that his hand had been smashed at one point, some other fracture areas, cigarette burns, ect. He spent most of his youth wandering the streets of Europe homeless, alone, and mentally disturbed. I imagine part of his sociopathic "use or be used" mentality probably came from those experiences. It doesn't make up for what he did, but I think it at least gives a bit of insight into how someone could turn out that way.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

This is definitely not a bad idea. I plan to do the same pretty soon. I wouldn't necessarily call it obvious, just that close examination of the information flow and arcs they construct makes side-taken clearer which helps in unraveling the grander narrative.

More about The Imposter ...

Thanks for writing all this, I think you're making great points. I'm sure it'll be like rewatching any movie with a big twist, where now you start with everything reframed. It was a pleasure reading all these nice words written by everyone, I especially agree about the abuse of the imposter as a possible factor for his mental issues. Early on, while not seeing him as a sociopath, I definitely wondered "are these just the sweet nothings of an incredibly manipulative person?

In regards to Dear Zachary, I'm curious too. I suspect it has little to do with the main emotional and family issues, but with the way the bail-granting judge was portrayed.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Gallant posted:

What could possibly be the other side to the story? I'm genuinely curious. It doesn't seem to me like there's any way you could sympathize with anyone other than the main characters of the movie.

Not portraying the people the family dislikes as goofy pictures with silly voice-overs would be a good start. Also maybe some actual evidence and not just two hours of the victim's families (who, in general, are not known for their discretion when it comes to blaming anything for their child's death as a coping mechanism) going "I had a bad feeling about the woman the first time I met her, therefore she's a killer. What's confirmation bias?" over and over.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Not portraying the people the family dislikes as goofy pictures with silly voice-overs would be a good start. Also maybe some actual evidence and not just two hours of the victim's families (who, in general, are not known for their discretion when it comes to blaming anything for their child's death as a coping mechanism) going "I had a bad feeling about the woman the first time I met her, therefore she's a killer. What's confirmation bias?" over and over.

That's pretty much it. It's not so much that I even know what the movie's leaving out, so much as there's certain aspects that the movie has no interest in perusing. The movie makes no effort at all to really try to understand the other side. I'm not really expecting it to and I'm not going to hold it against an emotionally devastated family for not trying to deeper understand those that hurt them but it's just something that you should be aware of while watching it. It's one side of the story that really does not even want to hear that there is another side. Maybe their side is the only side, I just don't know given what it shown in the movie.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They thought she was a killer because she DID kill their son. Giving custody of a kid to an accused murderer who is a flight risk seems crazy.

There was also a lot of clearly presented evidence that she was the killer.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

axleblaze posted:

That's pretty much it. It's not so much that I even know what the movie's leaving out, so much as there's certain aspects that the movie has no interest in perusing. The movie makes no effort at all to really try to understand the other side. I'm not really expecting it to and I'm not going to hold it against an emotionally devastated family for not trying to deeper understand those that hurt them but it's just something that you should be aware of while watching it. It's one side of the story that really does not even want to hear that there is another side. Maybe their side is the only side, I just don't know given what it shown in the movie.

I think this a really interesting POV, I didn't get the impression that there was much story being left out. I didn't think it would've made much sense in the context of the movie to delve into the woman's psychological issues. It's pretty clear they were there, it wasn't to me a case of not giving the other side a chance.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Alright thanks to this thread I watched The Imposter and goddamn that was pretty good. I only have one question and that was after the test interview and the agents find out he is not Nicholas and they call the sister about it, why did she still pick him up? It seems really weird to me that happened, but then again this whole situation is really hosed up. Also I live like 45 minutes from San Antonio and its pretty insane this happened somewhere I'm very familiar with.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Me in Reverse posted:

The Shield is on Amazon Prime Video.

Season 1, and Seasons 3+, that is.

loving bullshit.

Or you can just go to Hulu and watch the entire series there.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Me in Reverse posted:

The Shield is on Amazon Prime Video.

Season 1, and Seasons 3+, that is.

loving bullshit.

I just finished season 2 last week on Amazon Prime. Try looking again because when I searched specifically for season 2 it shows up as being $0.00 for Prime members.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

I just finished season 2 last week on Amazon Prime. Try looking again because when I searched specifically for season 2 it shows up as being $0.00 for Prime members.

I'm pretty sure it was there yesterday when I finished marathonning Season 1, but it's gone today.

Also, I finally watched Grave Encounters. I liked it, but the last 3 minutes felt like they couldn't figure out how to end it.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Just watched A Good Old-Fashioned Orgy starring Jason Sudeikis, Tyler Labine, Lindsay Sloane, Leslie Bibb, Nick Kroll and several other actors of the "oh hey, it's that guy/girl!" variety. They're all mid-30s friends who use Sudeikis' father's summer house to throw extravagant parties. When they find out that the house is going to be sold, they decide that the only way to go out, is literally with a bang. An orgy.

Solid B movie, good laughs, and to my surprise, they actually do end up having the orgy.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

axleblaze posted:

The most extreme example I've seen of this is a documentary mini-series called The Staircase. It's not on streaming but despite everything is well worth watching. But do yourself a favor and don't read anything about the series or the case it's based on until after you're done watching.
Craziest case ever, and you'll do so many 180s between guilty / not guilty / guilty but resonable doubt.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

regulargonzalez posted:

The most extreme example I've seen of this is a documentary mini-series called The Staircase. It's not on streaming but despite everything is well worth watching. But do yourself a favor and don't read anything about the series or the case it's based on until after you're done watching.
Craziest case ever, and you'll do so many 180s between guilty / not guilty / guilty but resonable doubt.

Absolutely seconded on this, they just re-ran that on Sundance with two new episodes based on his appeal.

I actually never thought he was guilty at any point in the mini-series. The fact that the jury didn't even find reasonable doubt is mind-boggling. The state's case was so much "He was a HOMO-SEXUAL" and obvious pleas to emotion like that. The "and there was a second Staircase" thing was absolutely batshit, too, especially that they loving exhumed the ancient corpse for it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

precision posted:

Absolutely seconded on this, they just re-ran that on Sundance with two new episodes based on his appeal.

I actually never thought he was guilty at any point in the mini-series. The fact that the jury didn't even find reasonable doubt is mind-boggling. The state's case was so much "He was a HOMO-SEXUAL" and obvious pleas to emotion like that. The "and there was a second Staircase" thing was absolutely batshit, too, especially that they loving exhumed the ancient corpse for it

You should read about the actual case. The documentary is VERY one sided and leaves out lots of evidence. Like you, I thought "maybe to probably guilty, but definitely reasonable doubt". Once I read more about the case in general and the court case specifically, he became guilty beyond doubt in my mind.

If nothing else, it's a great example of how a documentary can be anything but objective and can actively manipulate the viewer while appearing to be even-handed.

e: specifically, the numerous articles on http://www.peterson-staircase.com/ are a great follow-up resource after watching the documentary.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 25, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I can't get enough gangster/mafia movies. But it seems like I've already run out of what's available on instant. I've seen Sexy Beast, Reservoir Dogs, Snatch, Citizen Gangster and most of the obvious ones. Can't remember all of them. Any recommendations for hidden gems of crime cinema?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mescal posted:

I can't get enough gangster/mafia movies. But it seems like I've already run out of what's available on instant. I've seen Sexy Beast, Reservoir Dogs, Snatch, Citizen Gangster and most of the obvious ones. Can't remember all of them. Any recommendations for hidden gems of crime cinema?

The original 1932 Scarface. Check out the trailer, it's great even by modern film standards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oClFiO7LMkc

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lock Stock and Two Smoking barrels if you liked Snatch, it's on Netflix too iirc. Also "Layer Cake" for another similar outing.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mescal posted:

Go watch The Long Good Friday, featuring prime Bob Hoskins, prime Helen Mirren, and primitive Pierce Brosnan.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

Watch Miller's Crossing immediately.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mescal posted:

If you want to go outside of America:

Election is a Hong Kong film that got a crapload of praise and deserves every bit of it. loving brutal and intense. Haven't seen the sequel, but it's on there too.

Outrage (2010) and Sonatine (1993), both directed by/starring Beat Takeshi.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, a loose trilogy of Korean crime films that get recommended a lot (because they're that good).

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I have only seen Oldboy out of those three. I still need to watch the other two.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

precision posted:

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, a loose trilogy of Korean crime films that get recommended a lot (because they're that good).

If you liked these three you'd like Mother

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

precision posted:

Is this the order to watch them in? I keep seeing them on netflix and forgetting which one I'm supposed to start with.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Is this the order to watch them in? I keep seeing them on netflix and forgetting which one I'm supposed to start with.

The films only take place within the same universe, occasionally sharing actors, so there is no real thematic order. However, I adhere to the dates of release as the order, being MR., OLD, and finally LADY.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

priznat posted:

Lock Stock and Two Smoking barrels if you liked Snatch, it's on Netflix too iirc. Also "Layer Cake" for another similar outing.

And if you want to have fun, imagine that Layer Cake is a prequel for Casino Royale

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

soapgish posted:

The films only take place within the same universe, occasionally sharing actors, so there is no real thematic order. However, I adhere to the dates of release as the order, being MR., OLD, and finally LADY.

Okay, that was the other thing I wasn't clear on, whether it was a traditional linear trilogy or something that happens to be in the same universe. Thanks!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

soapgish posted:

MR. OLD LADY

I would watch the gently caress out of that. For some reason, I imagine it starring Hulk Hogan.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Hewlett posted:

MR. OLD LADY

I would watch the gently caress out of that. For some reason, I imagine it starring Hulk Hogan.

I can see it

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

precision posted:

My grandma had read a book about the case that had her convinced that he was guilty, Written in Blood by Diane Fanning. I'd only seen the documentary and had the same reaction as you. Even though the mini series may be questionable, I would still recommend it because I was completely invested in the case as it progressed.

The Imposter was totally engrossing. As others have already said, don't miss it, well worth your time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If you like Parks and Rec, and want to see it go slightly darker and more improvy, check out Wet Hot American Summer which is also streaming.

I've never seen or been interested in Parks and Rec, but Wet Hot American Summer is one of my all-time favorite comedies so I guess I'll have to check out that show now!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm in the UK and would quite like to get at the US selection on my android tv dongle, but I don't want it enough to pay for unblock us or another VPN service. Is there anyway I can change region with set dns instead?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Hewlett posted:

MR. OLD LADY

I'd rather watch Sympathy for Ladyboy Vengeance.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Red Dwarf is back on Netflix. I'm not sure when it came back, but yay, it's back.

I started watching and was confused by the first episode. For some reason the song played during the memorial service is different. Anyone else notice this? Originally it was "See You Later, Alligator." Now, it's something totally different that doesn't fit the mood at all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wonder if they couldn't get the licensing rights for the song for the DVD release. This happened fairly often with tv shows iirc.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Mad Men season six went up today. Marathon time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

priznat posted:

You got me all excited thinking these were on Netflix. :smith:

• Locked thread