Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

fivegears4reverse posted:

@Taear: Oh, they definitely made the game easier, and it's been the trend since Portable 3rd/Tri.

Good. The game needed more monsters and it needed to be less of a massive pain in the arse. So far, Ultimate delivers on both of those.

Do you know if the previously online-only monsters are avaliable to fight on your own now? I cannot connect my Wii U to the internet so I can't see them otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yup, without internet you can see all the content in TriU, with the exception of the event quests. Only thing is that high/g-rank will be hard as gently caress for you since they're actually balanced for 4-on-1.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yup, without internet you can see all the content in TriU, with the exception of the event quests. Only thing is that high/g-rank will be hard as gently caress for you since they're actually balanced for 4-on-1.

At least I can see them though. Even if I'll die horribly.

Here's another question since I cannot find the answer on the internet - Lagombi ears, do I get those from breaking the ear in the killing-it quest, or do I need a later one where I capture it? I ask because now I have killed it three times and broken the ears each time with nothing.
I don't want to waste my time killing it again really.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MH3U is the first game that has me playing for longer than an hour at a time on the Wii U. As such I'm starting to get cheesed off at the lousy battery life on the gamepad (yes it's a tablet I know, but damnit my iPad goes like 10 hours or more even playing movies and games, so that's not an excuse). Are there any good third party batteries out yet?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Anytime you need to "hunt" a monster you can always capture it instead, you don't need to actually wait for a capture request unless they've changed that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chronojam posted:

Anytime you need to "hunt" a monster you can always capture it instead, you don't need to actually wait for a capture request unless they've changed that.

Are you certain? I feel like in Tri I captured a creature and failed because the goal was to kill it. I distinctly remember thinking it was stupid, since capturing is harder.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Taear posted:

Are you certain? I feel like in Tri I captured a creature and failed because the goal was to kill it. I distinctly remember thinking it was stupid, since capturing is harder.

I don't know if there's some exception that you fell victim to so I won't comment on that but you can definitely capture monsters you were sent to kill.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ciaphas posted:

MH3U is the first game that has me playing for longer than an hour at a time on the Wii U. As such I'm starting to get cheesed off at the lousy battery life on the gamepad (yes it's a tablet I know, but damnit my iPad goes like 10 hours or more even playing movies and games, so that's not an excuse). Are there any good third party batteries out yet?

http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=Power%20Pak%20for%20Wii%20U

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bland posted:

I don't know if there's some exception that you fell victim to so I won't comment on that but you can definitely capture monsters you were sent to kill.

I think it may have been the Lagicarious. Which I have just defeated without using any potions whatsoever in 10 minutes, when last time it took a full 10 mega potions and about 30 minutes. I'm beginning to feel baffled. Perhaps the dual swords are just that much better than the switch blade (which is what I used the last time) or the game is really that much easier.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Ciaphas posted:

There's this http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=UBoost+(Black)

Regarding the hand-holding discussion, I always thought the GTA games do a really good job telling you how to do things in a clear and unintrusive way.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Lego City is pretty alright. I hope that it comes out on other platforms so that more people can actually enjoy it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

dvorak posted:

Lego City is pretty alright. I hope that it comes out on other platforms so that more people can actually enjoy it.

Isn't it published by Nintendo? It seemed like they were banking on it as a big-name exclusive title when they first revealed it at E3. More importantly, I think it was one of a handful of announcements meant to convince investors that Nintendo was building strong relationships with third parties.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Rake Arms posted:

Isn't it published by Nintendo?

That shouldn't really matter in and of itself. Someone else could publish it on other platforms unless Nintendo helped fund it and own the IP rights or signed a full on exclusivity deal with TT. It's happened a few times in the past.

As you've mentioned though, Nintendo has been pushing it really hard and Warner Bros (who actually own TT Games) haven't had anything to say about it since it was announced, so I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't pay for a good chunk of development and will want to keep it locked up.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 25, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I bought this ... thing.

http://gametista.com/2013/02/23/review-pdp-hardcover-for-wii-u-gamepad/

This isn't my review, but it's about the only online description of the thing, and I've only ever seen it at GameStop. I bought one because the Wii U sits on the bottom shelf of my entertainment center, and with people (some of whom are kids) walking/running by, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have something that made the Wii U Pad kick-proof.

It doesn't fit into the charging cradle, but I'm much happier knowing I won't have to clothesline my 3-year old niece for cracking the gamepad.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
bought a WiiU on friday for MH3U. Probably one of the best overall purchases I've made in the last year and I don't regret a thing. I've had some slight technical issues with the WiiU occasionally (once or twice this weekend) locking up when i select an application (the lack of a reset switch/function is really weird...pulling the power does not make me feel good) but otherwise had a pretty seamless experience and was really surprised by how fun/cool some of the random features are like the TV Remote

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

treeboy posted:

bought a WiiU on friday for MH3U. Probably one of the best overall purchases I've made in the last year and I don't regret a thing. I've had some slight technical issues with the WiiU occasionally (once or twice this weekend) locking up when i select an application (the lack of a reset switch/function is really weird...pulling the power does not make me feel good) but otherwise had a pretty seamless experience and was really surprised by how fun/cool some of the random features are like the TV Remote

I've had mine for a week and only had 1 lockup (and it was while playing Sonic Racing while also downloading a bunch of stuff to the wiiU.) Nintendo is working on it, its something that can be fixed since its software not hardware.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

pixaal posted:

I've had mine for a week and only had 1 lockup (and it was while playing Sonic Racing while also downloading a bunch of stuff to the wiiU.) Nintendo is working on it, its something that can be fixed since its software not hardware.

yeah it really hasn't ruined my experience, just made me nervous resetting the console. Ironically though all the freezes i've had were in the actual WiiU software, once in Notifications and another time in System Settings

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Red posted:

I bought this ... thing.

That actually looks pretty nice for keeping dust off the screen.

For everyone complaining about lack of hand holding on MH3U, you can always play Dragon's Dogma :smug:. Seriously though, there's 40-50 hours of gameplay where you need to know absolutely nothing and you can continue to progress through the game. You are going to pick up on a lot during that time if you are enjoying the game and continue playing it more than the first few hours. It's the 100+ hours afterwards that require you to know what you are doing.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Are you being sarcastic or obtuse? If I am forced to go to the internet for the mere basics of a game, that reeks of bad game design. There's no "I guess you don't have friends or the Internet? :smug:" here.

I think i've come to the conclusion that I no longer agree with this argument in any way. My favorite games tend to be the ones where some sort of outside interaction or research is involved. Usually this means the game has a lot of depth and it's not something you can relay in "Hello gamer, if you want to do x then you need to do y."

The MH3U guide is 524 pages long and at least 3/4ths of that is solid information and there's no way to fit that into the game in a friendly manner without bombarding you with a hundred different menu's and dropdowns in which case, yes it is best that this information be found online.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Just a heads up. If you still haven't gotten Sonic All Stars Transformed yet, It's on sale on on the eshop for $30. Not much but it's something! :toot:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

katkillad2 posted:

I think i've come to the conclusion that I no longer agree with this argument in any way. My favorite games tend to be the ones where some sort of outside interaction or research is involved. Usually this means the game has a lot of depth and it's not something you can relay
in "Hello gamer, if you want to do x then you need to do y."

The MH3U guide is 524 pages long and at least 3/4ths of that is solid information and there's no way to fit that into the game in a friendly manner without bombarding you with a hundred different menu's and dropdowns in which case, yes it is best that this information be found online.

Uh, you could easily just add a nice interface to show upgrade paths, stats, etc. And, being built into the game, it wouldn't require a constant internet connection and the painfully slow page loads of most wiki sites.

If the information is absolutely required, you can ship a player's guide with your game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

theflyingorc posted:

Uh, you could easily just add a nice interface to show upgrade paths, stats, etc. And, being built into the game, it wouldn't require a constant internet connection and the painfully slow page loads of most wiki sites.

If the information is absolutely required, you can ship a player's guide with your game.

Yea you could do this, and then people would come here and post on the internet about how convoluted it is to navigate through several hundred weapons and their upgrade paths and how overwhelming everything is.

Also if you pre-ordered from gamestop you did get the guide with your game as a digital download.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

katkillad2 posted:

Yea you could do this, and then people would come here and post on the internet about how convoluted it is to navigate through several hundred weapons and their upgrade paths and how overwhelming everything is.

Also if you pre-ordered from gamestop you did get the guide with your game as a digital download.

There have been games that I have quit, because I felt like I barely knew anything about the game despite going through the tutorial. For as good as Demon's Souls was, the World tendency and character tendency stuff was completely obtuse. It was somewhat cool if you knew what contributed to it but many people were still confused about it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

katkillad2 posted:

So, if I'm understanding you, it's better to not include the information because it would be to difficult to understand, and to instead not give the player the information at all.

I don't get you, man.

edit: Everything about Tendency in Demon's Souls was really, really stupid. Considering that the optimal way to control it was to disconnect your PS3 from the internet entirely, and they didn't include it at all in Dark Souls, I think it's safe to call Tendency a failed experiment.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

katkillad2 posted:

It's a poorly organized gathering of charts and statistics and it doesn't show you proper weapon trees (like the Japanese guides typically have done), and worse still it tells players LITERALLY NOTHING about how to actually fight any of the large monsters or what to look out for while fighting them. It lists quests, but doesn't even bother to EXPLAIN ANY OF THEM. Just because a guide exists doesn't mean it deserves unflinching praise.

I get that you think an ingame resource would be terrible, considering we ARE discussing a product made by Capcom in the year 2013, but IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE THIS WAY. The Wii U and the 3DS have a touch display and come with a stylus that anyone who has ever held a pencil in their life could understand how to use. You could definitely include an ingame resource that is better organized than both the Brady guide and the paltry poo poo included in the games as is.

katkillad2 posted:

Here's an exciting concept: not everyone pre-ordered the game from Gamestop.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I actually just drape a Rock the Red towel I got from a Caps game over my controller and it works fine to keep the dust off. Question, do these lockups occur in certain games or randomly cause I just have Lego Undercover and Xenoblade right now for the U.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

So, if I'm understanding you, it's better to not include the information because it would be to difficult to understand, and to instead not give the player the information at all.

I don't get you, man.

Nope hes not saying that at all, hes saying that too much information can be just as frustrating for a new player as not enough information.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone here played Need For Speed? I'm kind of tempted to pick it up but it'd be so much cheaper to just get the PS3 version instead.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Nope hes not saying that at all, hes saying that too much information can be just as frustrating for a new player as not enough information.
Yeah I imagine a guide would just be overwhelming. I kind of like the whole experimentation and self discovery aspects of the game so I don't care for extensive guides on that stuff, my main issue (at least with Tri) was just starting out felt like it took forever and was hard to get into. Some more initial guidance or something to streamline the start would've helped me. I actually liked the MH3U demo cause it allowed you to just go after the big monsters without having to worry about the other stuff.

KimT posted:

Has anyone here played Need For Speed? I'm kind of tempted to pick it up but it'd be so much cheaper to just get the PS3 version instead.
Should've asked/came by the thread last week, EA's store had it for $30 as part of a site wide sale.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

thecallahan posted:

I actually just drape a Rock the Red towel I got from a Caps game over my controller and it works fine to keep the dust off. Question, do these lockups occur in certain games or randomly cause I just have Lego Undercover and Xenoblade right now for the U.

fwiw, in my experience my 2 or 3 lockups (in close to 30 hours of use in 2 days) have been purely when dealing with system apps on the WiiU itself (i think once when starting netflix too). Games themselves have had 0 issue.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just wanted to say that LEGO CITY Undercover is a national goddamn treasure and my early pick for sleeper GOTY.

It's just the perfect blend of legit funny stuff, "not-San-Francisco" exploration and a rockin' wacka-chicka, wacka-chicka 70s soundtrack that I can't get enough of.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Honestly as someone who's played monster hunter since the PSP it can be pretty daunting, however the brady guide is garbage. They should have included descriptions of buffs and the weapon trees in game, because most people can't even tell that Sharpener buff applies to whetstones and Sharpness is what gives your weapon a higher cutting ability. I mean they have you spend zenny on the monster guides from the shopkeeper so they might as well include a graphic for a cutting chart, elemental weakness, and other such important stuff. Also loot tables and what grade of monster can drop what.

Weapon upgrades are still sort of a pain because you have to look it up what the weapons turn into a few upgrades later. A fire weapon can turn into a water weapon 3 upgrades in for example. Having a detailed upgrade tree in game with the blacksmith that shows you all the weapon trees would not be a bad thing. I mean it's not random, they just show you the single upgrades but it just doesn't go far enough.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

fivegears4reverse posted:

It's a poorly organized gathering of charts and statistics and it doesn't show you proper weapon trees (like the Japanese guides typically have done), and worse still it tells players LITERALLY NOTHING about how to actually fight any of the large monsters or what to look out for while fighting them. It lists quests, but doesn't even bother to EXPLAIN ANY OF THEM. Just because a guide exists doesn't mean it deserves unflinching praise.

I get that you think an ingame resource would be terrible, considering we ARE discussing a product made by Capcom in the year 2013, but IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE THIS WAY. The Wii U and the 3DS have a touch display and come with a stylus that anyone who has ever held a pencil in their life could understand how to use. You could definitely include an ingame resource that is better organized than both the Brady guide and the paltry poo poo included in the games as is.

I think both of you are kind of right. What would be neat is if one could at least push a button on the Gamepad which immediately launched the web browser and brought you to a fully fleshed out Wiki. They could stand to include some additional in game resources as well but limit it to the more commonly accessed information such as (but not limited to) weapon/armor trees.

Granted, you can still do this manually by launching the browser and navigating to your resource of choice, but an official wiki with everything already in it which automatically gets loaded would be better imho.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
They don't do it like Dark Cloud 2 where there is a tutorial built into the menu broken down by parts that you can access at any time?

That was a game with a lot of different aspects and features that definitely needed those tutorials.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
So, I recently got the ZombiU bundle and I'm curious about how the Pro controller is supposed to work, given that you need the gamepad screen for your inventory; is it just an extra in the bundle and not intended for use with ZombiU? What games does it work with?

Edit:
VVVVV Ohhhhhh, I hadn't even considered it as a second controller; I thought it was a complete alternative to using the gamepad.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 25, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It works with most games, including zombI U where you use it in two player versus multiplayer.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I know I was guilty about it not too far back but let's move the Monster Hunter specific discussion to the MH thread because it's just gonna derail the discussion here.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

plainswalker75 posted:

So, I recently got the ZombiU bundle and I'm curious about how the Pro controller is supposed to work, given that you need the gamepad screen for your inventory; is it just an extra in the bundle and not intended for use with ZombiU? What games does it work with?

Edit:
Ohhhhhh, I hadn't even considered it as a second controller; I thought it was a complete alternative to using the gamepad.

Only multiplayer in ZombiU.

So far it seems to used mainly in multiplatform games like BLOPS 2, AC 3, etc. I imagine that's the way it'll largely be implemented through the Wii U's cycle-- when a game uses a standard controller on other platforms when the GamePad is unnecessary.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What's the best and safest way to clean a fingerprinted-up Wiimote? I'm assuming that anything wet is a bad idea?

I also recall a mention of the best way to clean a game pad screen... could someone run that by me again? My screen's long overdue for a good cleaning but I'm terrified of messing it up and needing a replacement.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Minidust posted:

What's the best and safest way to clean a fingerprinted-up Wiimote? I'm assuming that anything wet is a bad idea?

I also recall a mention of the best way to clean a game pad screen... could someone run that by me again? My screen's long overdue for a good cleaning but I'm terrified of messing it up and needing a replacement.

I use some alcohol wipes. For screens I get ones that are intended for eyeglasses. It's about $3 for a box of fifty and unless you're completely OCD that should last you a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Minidust posted:

Just get some compressed air and a lint free cloth.

• Locked thread