Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Moon Potato posted:

As BetterLuckNextTime said, Point Reyes is great, and easily within day trip distance of SF.

How far out of town are you looking to travel? Things get progressively better raptor-wise as you go up the coast; the Northern Sonoma coast up through Humboldt County is fantastic birding terrain. There's a population of Ospreys in Sea Ranch (kind of a semi-private coastal vacation rental property operation in Sonoma County, but I've never been harassed there when hiking in through the public beach access points). If you make it up to Humboldt County, I know some good spots for ospreys, bald eagles, kites, harriers and various owls that I'd be glad to share, but that's quite a bit more traveling than Point Reyes or Sonoma.
At this point I don't expect to have any free time, but just in case I'd love to zip off for a few hours to somewhere nearby if possible. Thanks again all for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

red-winged black bird by philip painter, on Flickr

red-winged black bird by philip painter, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Needs a touch of noise reduction but this is pretty great. I love red-winged black birds. They have no qualms with taking on birds much much larger than themselves. :black101:

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

InternetJunky posted:

I'll post this here since it's bird-specific.

I'm going to be in San Francisco for the next two weeks. I see a few people from that area posting great shots on other sites of kestrels and kites, does anyone have any idea where they are going for them? Are there any places nearby that are good for birding? I have no idea how much time I'll have but if I can get away for some bird photography I will.

If you can make it down the peninsula, I see American white-tailed kites hunting at Bedwell park pretty reliably, especially the hour before sundown over the lagoons. It's on the bay in Menlo Park. There are a ton of waterfowl as a backup - ducks, egrets, coots galore.

http://www.friendsofbayfrontpark.org/birding.htm

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Needs a touch of noise reduction but this is pretty great. I love red-winged black birds. They have no qualms with taking on birds much much larger than themselves. :black101:

Yeah, I got a little slider happy with these. There will be plenty more this summer as they're all over the place here.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

Anyway, 10:30, the other night, I go out in my yard, and there's the Wurster kid, looking up in the tree. I say, "What are you looking for?" He says "I'm looking for my burrow owl." I say, "Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick. Everybody knows the burrow owl lives. In a hole. In the ground. Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway?"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Wow. Great shot.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Some less common ducks for once:

Goldeneye

Mergansers

Think this is a Scaup?

Any idea? Nothing is ringing a bell for me.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Casu Marzu posted:

Any idea? Nothing is ringing a bell for me.

Looks like an Anhinga?

And Lesser Scaup.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Looks like an Anhinga?

Maybe, but Anhinas are warm climate birds I thought. This was taken in Green Bay, WI, which is a bit frigid this time of year for them.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Casu Marzu posted:

Maybe, but Anhinas are warm climate birds I thought. This was taken in Green Bay, WI, which is a bit frigid this time of year for them.

The other possibility is double-crested cormorant.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

That is indeed a cormorant.

I feel horrible for flashing this sleeping owl, but it's very rare around here and it was right next to joggers/bikers/horses and didn't seem to notice. Sorry owl, I felt guilty right away. :(

Long-eared Owl on Flickr

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Eeek posted:

Anyway, 10:30, the other night, I go out in my yard, and there's the Wurster kid, looking up in the tree. I say, "What are you looking for?" He says "I'm looking for my burrow owl." I say, "Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick. Everybody knows the burrow owl lives. In a hole. In the ground. Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway?"

What ISO did you shoot this with? Or did you over sharpen it? I'm just trying to figure out why it's so noisy. It's a great shot.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

3200, 1/320, f/4. It's shot with a 400mm f4 DO lens. This was the last few minutes of light for the day. I had to boost the ISO up very high to get a decent shutter speed. Add to the that the clouds were very heavy. I would have had a little more fore thought, I would have spend the $40 on a Better Beamer. I am also traveling and had convert from RAW on Canon's DPP on my work computer and use iPhoto on my iPad to edit it. That is not my work flow of choice. I plan on editing it properly when I get home. Here's a few more with a little better light:

I watched that last one for 30 minutes. The second I turned the camera down, he flew right at me. Would have been a great in flight shot.

Eeek fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 24, 2013

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I've been watching this web cam for some time:

http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html

Since I am down here for work, I went down and took pictures. The light was really bad- just about to storm. I did get a few of one of the eaglets testing out its wings.

Edit: spelling

Eeek fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 25, 2013

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Bohemian Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

We got a foot of snow on Thursday, had to strap on the snowshoes when I was photographing birds this afternoon

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Not a NatGeo picture, but I was pleased to have gotten a recognizeable picture of a quetzal.

Resplendent Quetzal, Monteverde Cloud Forest by The.Rohit, on Flickr

Resplendent Quetzal, Monteverde by The.Rohit, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Shot at dead noon while he was perched on a blindingly white pillar. :suicide:

Gambel's Quail

small-2899 by jankyangles, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Shot at dead noon while he was perched on a blindingly white pillar. :suicide:

Gambel's Quail

small-2899 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Nice shot, though. He's so handsome! :allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
They should have chicks soon. It's funny watching a pack of quail and road runners duke it out. The quail will swarm the road runner trying to chase it off while the road runner punts and flings them like little feathery footballs. Hopefully they stick around my work like last year.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The quail will swarm the road runner trying to chase it off while the road runner punts and flings them like little feathery footballs.

I want pics. :colbert:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I want video. That sounds hilarious!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Kicking up some snow. Wish I was a little closer.

CHG_battle_in_snow 1145 on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Couldn't quite get the focus on these two ravens playing

DSC_8632.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Like this one even though it's blurry. This was not flipped upside down

DSC_8631.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Juvie Male.

CottontailJuvie 1157 on Flickr

CottontailJuvie 1158 on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

american coot by philip painter, on Flickr

in among the reeds by philip painter, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Bitch, I'm fabulous.

red winged blackbird by philip painter, on Flickr

And mean as hell.

chase by philip painter, on Flickr

honk by philip painter, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I just got back from 2 weeks in San Francisco. My first night there I went for a walk and 10 seconds later had a raptor fly about 2 metres over my head with a pigeon in its claws. :argh: 12+ hour days meant no pictures for me. :(

I like everything about both these shots. Great stuff!

smallmouth posted:

And mean as hell.

I've never seen blackbirds giving a crap about anything other than raptors before. Given that herons will pretty much stuff anything down their throats I suppose it makes sense. Regardless, great job capturing the behaviour. That last shot looks like he is coming in for a landing on the heron.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I've never seen blackbirds giving a crap about anything other than raptors before. Given that herons will pretty much stuff anything down their throats I suppose it makes sense. Regardless, great job capturing the behaviour. That last shot looks like he is coming in for a landing on the heron.

Thanks! Yeah, they were having none of his poo poo.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Looks like an Anhinga?

Nah, some form of Cormorant for sure.

Birding season should be starting soon, but only some freezing ducks so far.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 6, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Female mallards are so gorgeous.

I got some cheapshots from my folk's feeder tonight.

red breasted nuthatch by philip painter, on Flickr

junco by philip painter, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Some more harriers from Arcata Marsh:

The Canon 150-600 has severe veiling flare issues, but sometimes it's pretty.

This guy likes to fly by and see what my deal is every now and then when I'm filming

And a snowy egret

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 7, 2013

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

He has unfortunately taken up residence in the trees around my house and scared the rest of the birds away.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You have appeared to have typed 'unfortunately' when you meant 'awesomely'.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

You have appeared to have typed 'unfortunately' when you meant 'awesomely'.

I'm tired of having to clean dead squirrels out of my yard. :arghfist:

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Can't wait for migration; I wanna see warblers and buntings. Saw the first hummingbird of the season the other day.

Sassy Canyon Towhee.

El Paso County, Texas by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Tried the Northern Harrier again, but it's super leery of me and I was there at the wrong time of day.

Better time of day.

Killdeer.

Sutton County, Texas by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Black Chinned Sparrow, maybe? I kept thinking these guys were just different Juncos. I'm dumb.

Red-naped Sapsucker attacking the trees.

Spotted Towhee.

Finally got a decent picture of a Gambel's Quail. This guy was trying to find a girlfriend so hard...

Not great pictures but this awkward fellow roosted in the trees behind my office and then was sunning himself in the morning. :3:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Ghost Cactus posted:

Finally got a decent picture of a Gambel's Quail. This guy was trying to find a girlfriend so hard...

That's a beautiful shot. Very nice composition.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Ghost Cactus posted:

Can't wait for migration; I wanna see warblers and buntings. Saw the first hummingbird of the season the other day.

Black Chinned Sparrow, maybe? I kept thinking these guys were just different Juncos. I'm dumb.

I think it's just a Junco as well, but after looking at field guide photos I admit that Black-Chinned is pretty damned close looking on paper. Going off of a field guide I'd still say Junco because of the lighter chest (Sibley's show the BC Sparrow's as having consistent gray from head to leg). The notched tail also is a Junco characteristic that I don't see present in the BC Sparrow.

I'm really surprised you don't get Hummingbirds and Warblers in the winter. Excellent shots by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Moon Potato posted:

That's a beautiful shot. Very nice composition.

Thanks!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I think it's just a Junco as well, but after looking at field guide photos I admit that Black-Chinned is pretty damned close looking on paper. Going off of a field guide I'd still say Junco because of the lighter chest (Sibley's show the BC Sparrow's as having consistent gray from head to leg). The notched tail also is a Junco characteristic that I don't see present in the BC Sparrow.

I'm really surprised you don't get Hummingbirds and Warblers in the winter. Excellent shots by the way.

Thank you, and thanks for the notched tail note. I saw that and I figured it'd be diagnostic, but I wasn't sure for which species. I do think we have Black-Chinned Sparrows around here, I'll just have to look harder.

Yeah, a lot of birds leave us in the winter. The vultures just go a few hundred miles east. South Texas and East Texas have neat species during the winter though.