Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Farking Bastage posted:

How can something that is shorter than the ink pen in the background and no more than 3-4" inches tall weigh 20 pounds without either being pure tungsten, lead, or a Meteorite. Even the first two is a stretch.

I think that's an optical illusion. The better size reference is the very blurry Canon lens cap (round black thing) in the second photo. That hunk is pretty big!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I had the friction material come completely loose on a set of Duralast ceramic pads. Trashed the poo poo out of the rotor too. Autozone gave me new pads and rotors gratis. That was awhile ago and the replacements are doing fine. I chalk it up to bad QC on the old set. If it happens again I sure as poo poo wont be getting brakes at Autozone anymore.

This is why I usually stick with lovely AutoZone pads. Yeah, they don't last long, but it's no questions asked when I walk in with a set of worn out pads. "What phone # was it under? Cool, here's your new poo poo". Worst case, I walk in and buy a new set of pads/shoes, tell them it'll be a warranty claim, and they just make sure to put them under the same phone #. I walk back in with the old ones an hour later and get my money back.

I know that's not what the warranty is supposed to cover, but I think I've paid for one set of pads per car for every car I've owned for the past 15 years...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My 88 Delta 88 would eat through front pads in 6-8 months, and I drove an average of 4,000 miles a year. Never did get the rear brakes working totally correctly, so it was all up to the fronts. I did the exact same thing with Autozone, and they never complained.

Thread content: some guy just posted an entire large album over on Reddit's /r/justrolledintotheshop, and there are some classics.

Album

Some of my choice pics:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 21, 2013

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My sympathies. The Brembo bolts are kind of infamous for doing that and I'm not really sure if there is any way to really prevent it when you're maintaining them (other than maybe replacing the bolts every time and using copious antiseize). They get really hot because they're massively heavy cars that are frequently driven hard.

Fun fact: you can tell if an STi or 350Z has been used correctly (taken to the track). The gold paint on the calipers turns permanently copper, bronze, brown, then dark purple as you run them up through increasingly higher temperatures.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

some texas redneck posted:

This is why I usually stick with lovely AutoZone pads. Yeah, they don't last long, but it's no questions asked when I walk in with a set of worn out pads. "What phone # was it under? Cool, here's your new poo poo". Worst case, I walk in and buy a new set of pads/shoes, tell them it'll be a warranty claim, and they just make sure to put them under the same phone #. I walk back in with the old ones an hour later and get my money back.

I know that's not what the warranty is supposed to cover, but I think I've paid for one set of pads per car for every car I've owned for the past 15 years...

Same here. I think they know it's worth it to keep a customer coming back that often.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

uwaeve posted:

Fun fact: you can tell if an STi or 350Z has been used correctly (taken to the track). The gold paint on the calipers turns permanently copper, bronze, brown, then dark purple as you run them up through increasingly higher temperatures.

If it's an early sti/evo the red calipers turn a crusty pink like a a pot-plant that's sat out in the sun for a few years.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Boomerjinks posted:

A friend lost the transmission on his Explorer a few weeks ago, and this just happened to his wife's Malibu.

The easy gear access is a feature, not a failure!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Automotive Insanity › Post Pictures of gears and cranks escaping the chains of slavery.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Slavvy posted:

If it's an early sti/evo the red calipers turn a crusty pink like a a pot-plant that's sat out in the sun for a few years.

I've heard that called "the Brownbo effect"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Automotive Insanity › Post Pictures of gears and cranks escaping the chains of slavery.

They have been held in bondage by bearings and chains too long, let my people go!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Is... is that why the sti badge is pink?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Found my pictures.

Street tires. Results: lots of screeching, calipers retain healthy glow.

R-compounds. Results: lots of grinning, calipers look awful.

That was after I had my pedal go to the floor even with stainless braided lines and Super Blue fluid. At that point I decided rather than turning my car into something worthy of this thread, I'd had my fun. I really didn't want to start loving with ducting for the front brakes, and no way was I going back to street tires.

Sorry to disappoint; I'm sure the ball of car I would have made would be really entertaining here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I actually prefer that colour to the gold, maybe I have a problem.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

uwaeve posted:

Found my pictures.

Street tires. Results: lots of screeching, calipers retain healthy glow.

R-compounds. Results: lots of grinning, calipers look awful.

That was after I had my pedal go to the floor even with stainless braided lines and Super Blue fluid. At that point I decided rather than turning my car into something worthy of this thread, I'd had my fun. I really didn't want to start loving with ducting for the front brakes, and no way was I going back to street tires.

Sorry to disappoint; I'm sure the ball of car I would have made would be really entertaining here.

That is a HILARIOUS idea. Are those thermometers purpose made for that application?

Did you change your pads when you had the R-comps on?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Lowclock posted:

Is... is that why the sti badge is pink?

It's not "pink" it's Cherry Blossom Red. :colbert:

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Beach Bum posted:

Are those thermometers purpose made for that application?

Did you change your pads when you had the R-comps on?

Yes, the temp strips are made for checking your max caliper temps. The temperature indicators change permanently, so they're more of a "peak hold" thermometer. Also much easier to use than the rotor equivalent, a lacquer you paint on in stripes on the edge of your rotor.

I kind of think I was using CarboTech XP10 for the first picture and XP12 when the second one was taken.

Also what was hilarious, the idea of little thermometers for brakes?

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Slavvy posted:

The same Brembo calipers on the Volvo S60R and V70R (04-08's) are factory painted a grey color and once super heated, turn gold. Titanium shims help prevent that heat transfer really well.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Seen today at Lemons --

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Linux Fairy posted:

Seen today at Lemons --

The shirt and the broken crank and con rod fit.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

uwaeve posted:

Yes, the temp strips are made for checking your max caliper temps. The temperature indicators change permanently, so they're more of a "peak hold" thermometer. Also much easier to use than the rotor equivalent, a lacquer you paint on in stripes on the edge of your rotor.

I kind of think I was using CarboTech XP10 for the first picture and XP12 when the second one was taken.

Also what was hilarious, the idea of little thermometers for brakes?

Temp strips for calipers were just funny to me. Great idea, but for some reason funny.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Non-horrible mechanical success:

:smug:

ZALGO LIVES!

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

CommieGIR posted:

ZALGO LIVES!

Again?! Who did you sell your soul to?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brigdh posted:

Again?! Who did you sell your soul to?

If it makes you feel better, I wore the ridges on one out finally, it still works but it wasn't enough to grab this one, luckily I had a second one from buying the EZ Out kit.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

ZALGO LIVES!

WHAT ARE YOU?!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

ZALGO LIVES!

Do you like work for EZ-OUT?!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

c355n4 posted:

Do you like work for EZ-OUT?!

If I did, maybe I could finally afford something better than lovely Tricare Dental coverage.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

CommieGIR posted:

ZALGO LIVES!

Whatever demon you've sold your soul to, please let me know which one? I need to attempt this next weekend.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

ZALGO LIVES!

You could probably make money just touring the country removing screws.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

CommieGIR posted:

If I did, maybe I could finally afford something better than lovely Tricare Dental coverage.

You might as well start doing your own dental work at this point, dude.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

CommieGIR posted:

ZALGO LIVES!

I want a goddamned video next time you Satan worshipper.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The Screw Whisperer™ (hopefully this is not the title of an adult film).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I want a goddamned video next time you Satan worshipper.

Will do, next time I have a stuck bolt I'll get it done.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Why are you encountering so many stripped bolts? Are those VW torx/allen heads?

E: spelling

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ThirstyBuck posted:

Why are you encountering so many stripped bolts? Are those VW torx/allen heads?

E: spelling

VW Torx/Allens, yep. Mostly old Allens, which turn into Swiss cheese as Audis/Volkswagens age. I had to pull two or three torx as well in the past that are hanging around in the thread here.

I think this makes #5

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

VW Torx/Allens, yep. Mostly old Allens, which turn into Swiss cheese as Audis/Volkswagens age. I had to pull two or three torx as well in the past that are hanging around in the thread here.

I think this makes #5

I just pound an 8mm multihex into stripped VW allens. VIce versa for stripped multihex. It's how I removed a pair of axles from a Type 3 that had been sitting in pine mulch for over a decade.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

I just pound an 8mm multihex into stripped VW allens. VIce versa for stripped multihex. It's how I removed a pair of axles from a Type 3 that had been sitting in pine mulch for over a decade.

This is what I normally do with stripped bolts, but I've had a couple where the multihex just strips it further, and usually I can depend on the EZ-Out to get it.

Sometimes I gotta go deeper via drilling an anchor point or something, but I've amazed myself personally at bolts I've managed to remove.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Of course, my mechanic buddy got three out of four broken off manifold bolts out of my Chevy 6.0 with a stud extractor. Only had to drill one...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

If an allen screw is not too stripped, I always pull out my torx set first. Nice sharp teeth there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

What head are you referring to as "multihex?" Torx? GIS isn't doing much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Honestly though, look at that bolt. No rust or nothin on the threads, nice and clean. And it was big enough to get a big ezout in it. Commie ain't all that.