Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I haven't trained anything for 2 weeks cuz of a flu. Yet last night my right knee started hurting, across the front and below the patella. Woke up this morning and it still hurts, especially at lock. Usually, my knees ache from training, but this feels a bit different. Could it be lack of training has caused the tissues to heal up in a way that signals pain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm wondering about the science of it, though. My wild guess is that when your brain starts losing blood, consciousness goes before some of the more hard-wired reflexes. Alternatively, it might've just been a really exact timing, maybe he was still conscious but only by the slightest bit. The guy was in a triangle choke, tapped like normal, but was immediately unconscious, spasming and fell over backwards as soon as the choke was released.

I've seen a couple of guys who've gotten choked out (and I did this too apparently the one time I was choked out) just start to spasm with their limbs so that it looks like they're tapping when really it is just your limbs doing an uncontrolled dance. I don't know why.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Got 2nd in purple and 3rd in absolute nogi <170; 4 subs 2 losses by pts (5 & 2) to the same dude.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

kimbo305 posted:

I haven't trained anything for 2 weeks cuz of a flu. Yet last night my right knee started hurting, across the front and below the patella. Woke up this morning and it still hurts, especially at lock. Usually, my knees ache from training, but this feels a bit different. Could it be lack of training has caused the tissues to heal up in a way that signals pain?

Random soreness is a symptom of the flu

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Out of curiosity, how does the general progress towards professional competition in MMA look like in the countries the rest of you are from? Here in Sweden it is beginning to become more and more structured. Basically you start out with pure grappling competitions, then move onto Shootfighting, which is basically MMA without ground strikes, elbows, knees to the head, heel-hooks, and a few other minor stuff. Then it's Amatuer MMA, which adds ground strikes and knees to the head. Both Shootfighting and Amatuer MMA are fought with shin guards and thicker gloves. After that it's pro MMA, which is basically standard Unified Rules. Sometimes without elbows, depending on the organisation.

Most people seem to follow that line of progression, unless they are already very accomplished in some other combat sport, such as wrestling or Thai boxing.

Does it work similar elsewhere or is thsi some peculiar Swedish setup.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
In the US from what I've seen guys go from wrestling in high school/college to grappling/amateur mma pretty directly.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

Out of curiosity, how does the general progress towards professional competition in MMA look like in the countries the rest of you are from? Here in Sweden it is beginning to become more and more structured. Basically you start out with pure grappling competitions, then move onto Shootfighting, which is basically MMA without ground strikes, elbows, knees to the head, heel-hooks, and a few other minor stuff. Then it's Amatuer MMA, which adds ground strikes and knees to the head. Both Shootfighting and Amatuer MMA are fought with shin guards and thicker gloves. After that it's pro MMA, which is basically standard Unified Rules. Sometimes without elbows, depending on the organisation.

Most people seem to follow that line of progression, unless they are already very accomplished in some other combat sport, such as wrestling or Thai boxing.

Does it work similar elsewhere or is thsi some peculiar Swedish setup.

In Aus there's no gi grappling in a cage and there's also different class amateur events, c class is shin guards and no strikes to the head on the ground. Then it's no elbows and finally just amateur mma.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
That is an awful loving setup and I find it very hard to believe that's how it works. I've fought guys from Sweden and that's not how they talk about it at all.

Pretty sure it works in Sweden like it works all over the world. You fight amateur fights until a promoter puts you on a pro card, you start racking up pro fights until you get sponsored or the big events.

What you describe is basically kind of like someone training a bunch of sprint runs for a marathon.

On the other hand, I do know the fight scene in Europe is very hard to find fighters, so a LOT of people will compete in several events so they can make a résumé

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

amateur mma in NJ has no strikes to the head on the ground. I think that is the only dumb rule.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

amateur mma in NJ has no strikes to the head on the ground. I think that is the only dumb rule.

Same in FL. Also standing 8 counts which are bizarre in the context of an MMA fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kekekela posted:

Same in FL. Also standing 8 counts which are bizarre in the context of an MMA fight.

Shooto used to have standing 8s, in fact. Traditional!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is a really quick, mildly thought-provoking demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc&t=60s
Whenever you commit your force in one direction, it's much harder for you to resist forces applied off-axis to your force. Pretty obvious, really, and I'm sure it has way more obvious applications is grappling and judo, where you can commit for longer durations. But even in striking, this principle is applied --
if my jab gets read, it can be parried aside and slipped, throwing my balance off a bit and buying my opponent more time.
If I teep really deep and the opponent catches and scoops it aside, I'm left spinning for a split second while he can kick my support leg out.
The more you put your weight behind anything, the more reward there is in taking advantage and redirecting that force. In my outside perspective, that's how almost all of judo works.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

This is a really quick, mildly thought-provoking demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc&t=60s
Whenever you commit your force in one direction, it's much harder for you to resist forces applied off-axis to your force. Pretty obvious, really, and I'm sure it has way more obvious applications is grappling and judo, where you can commit for longer durations. But even in striking, this principle is applied --
if my jab gets read, it can be parried aside and slipped, throwing my balance off a bit and buying my opponent more time.
If I teep really deep and the opponent catches and scoops it aside, I'm left spinning for a split second while he can kick my support leg out.
The more you put your weight behind anything, the more reward there is in taking advantage and redirecting that force. In my outside perspective, that's how almost all of judo works.

This is one of the reasons that parrying is generally better than blocking, and dodging generally better than parrying.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Also the science behind my only real Judo advice that someone found helpful a long time ago.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

This is an important concept in Judo, but it's really just the beginning. People tend to pick up on the power of redirection pretty quickly, but then they get overly worried about committing their weight to anything less than a sure thing and start playing too cautiously, hunching over and relying heavily on set ups/counters/sacrifices to throw. If they're lucky, they eventually realize that this is missing the point- Judo isn't about playing chicken and trying to trick opponents into committing first, it's actually about learning to create the conditions that allow you to be aggressive and fully commit whenever you want without landing in hot water, even against those super defensive opponents. Instead of blocking, countering or dodging, we want to be able to read the attack before it even happens and defeat it with a preemptive strike.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 25, 2013

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well I'm two weeks into my kickboxing and I'm liking it quite a bit. I started precisely when they created a beginner class because apparently people were doing poorly jumping right into the regular class. After 8 weeks of the beginner stuff I can test for my first belt and be allowed into the normal classes. The classes are getting very big though so a few of us volunteered to come an hour early which is pretty nice since there are only about 6 of us so we all get a lot of attention from Ben Rothwell.

I got my gi finally so I'm going to start BJJ tonight. Hopefully my tailbone doesn't bother me to the point that I can't do it, but either way I'm looking forward to it. One thing that sucks though is my gi fits fine, but my belt is a bit too short (I'm too fat). :saddowns:

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well I'm two weeks into my kickboxing and I'm liking it quite a bit. I started precisely when they created a beginner class because apparently people were doing poorly jumping right into the regular class. After 8 weeks of the beginner stuff I can test for my first belt and be allowed into the normal classes. The classes are getting very big though so a few of us volunteered to come an hour early which is pretty nice since there are only about 6 of us so we all get a lot of attention from Ben Rothwell.

I got my gi finally so I'm going to start BJJ tonight. Hopefully my tailbone doesn't bother me to the point that I can't do it, but either way I'm looking forward to it. One thing that sucks though is my gi fits fine, but my belt is a bit too short (I'm too fat). :saddowns:

You're testing for a belt in kickboxing? I've never heard of something like that before.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Neither have I. It's kinda weird but that's what the man said. Not sure if it's tied in with the BJJ belts or what. v:v:v

Just got back from my first BJJ class. There are quite of few guys training for fights so we just did rolling the whole time. Everyone was extremely helpful but I could tell they were just toying with me. I was worried since I have bad anxiety, etc but was pretty ok with getting close to a bunch of sweaty dudes. My tailbone didn't bother me either. Overall it was pretty fun. I can't wait until I am able to actually do stuff.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Metal Gear posted:

You're testing for a belt in kickboxing? I've never heard of something like that before.

Some larger gyms do it simply for match up purposes. i.e. you can look at a room with 20 people in it and match up two guys who're equivalent or push someone with some potential against a better opponent, also if someone is lovely and it's a basic drill you can get a more experienced person to help them out.

Some places do it as well but offer a belt in some form of karate like Kempo or Kyokushin while they add in traditional boxing etc.

Other times it's a cash grab kind of thing to keep people forking out money for belts and gradings.

I'm not a fan of it, but one BJJ club I attended added in all sorts of colours, yellow, orange, green because there was usually around 30 people in a class and it was a quick and easy way to make match ups. They didn't charge for gradings, gave the belts for free in between blue, purple, and brown and their guys are some of the best I've trained with. They take out competitions all the time. They just switch to the appropriate belt for comps.

It's something I see popping up more and more when trainers are looking to make their life easier and motivate people more.

I think a coach is better off learning how good his students are and grading them *if they're in a belt art, properly and when they're ready. I also think it sounds retarded when someone says they hold whatever belt in kickboxing or MT for example.

It used to be indicative of a poo poo club to get an invented belt and is a cash grab at McDojos but there are exceptions where it's a practical thing.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I am so frustrated with my striking and just feel old, short and slow. (well, I actually am all of these things)

My coach keeps telling me to move more and somehow I just always get caught standing still god what is wrong with me.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Just got back from my first BJJ class. There are quite of few guys training for fights so we just did rolling the whole time. Everyone was extremely helpful but I could tell they were just toying with me. I was worried since I have bad anxiety, etc but was pretty ok with getting close to a bunch of sweaty dudes. My tailbone didn't bother me either. Overall it was pretty fun. I can't wait until I am able to actually do stuff.

I just got back from my first BJJ class too! We have an actual beginners class so I spent the whole time learning a few concepts with a partner. I did better than I thought I would, my partner and the coach seemed impressed a little. :allears: It was very tiring and I will probably be in horrible pain tomorrow but it was awesome.

Anyway, I still need equipment. I know I need a gi and I'm working on that, what else do I need? I know I need stuff to wear under it like a rash guard or something? Shorts? A groin protector? I'm a lady, by the way, probably important to know.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Not sure exactly how most women who train feel about groin protection and all that, but if you decide you don't need it then everything but the gi is pretty much optional. Rather than getting a gi and shorts and rashguards and whatever else, just get two gi(s?) and a 5 dollar mouth guard. Understuff can just be regular gym stuff or a T-shirt you don't care about.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

Anyway, I still need equipment. I know I need a gi and I'm working on that, what else do I need? I know I need stuff to wear under it like a rash guard or something? Shorts? A groin protector? I'm a lady, by the way, probably important to know.

I wear a mouthguard but its probably not needed if you're just drilling moves. (although I wear one even for that) Also a cup but I guess there's no female equivalent.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Kekekela posted:

I wear a mouthguard but its probably not needed if you're just drilling moves. (although I wear one even for that) Also a cup but I guess there's no female equivalent.

Noooooo. I've seen so many chipped teeth happen from drilling. Wear your mouthguard any time you're doing...well, anything basically. I wear mine for warm up forward rolls.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wear your mouthguard any time you're doing...well, anything basically. I wear mine for warm up forward rolls.

Yeah, same here, I just put it in in the lockerroom when I'm getting the rest of my stuff on and it stays in the entire time.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Kekekela posted:

I am so frustrated with my striking and just feel old, short and slow. (well, I actually am all of these things)

My coach keeps telling me to move more and somehow I just always get caught standing still god what is wrong with me.

Man we all have days like that, just keep working hard and you'll get there

Today is my last day in Chiang Mai, I'm heading off to Bangkok on a train tonight then I have like 3 days of flights home to NZ. Then I guess I'll see how much I've improved compared to the guys at my home gym. I know my knees are significantly better than they were, my clinch has improved a lot, my kicks are way better, my balance is better and I have a much better understanding of the sport. I regret not doing more sparring and being stupidly unfit when I arrived, and I'm annoyed that I took so long for my shins to recover from my fight the other week so I haven't been training so hard since. And I'm annoyed that I lost my fight haha.

I will be coming back because I feel that there is just a larger base of knowledge here to learn from, but next time I won't be unfit and I will not be fighting until I feel confident and ready.

Also I've had a heap of fun and met some really great people training here.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
How expensive was the whole ordeal, all things considered?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone know of MMA gyms in Lancaster, England?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What is this kick called? Like a front variant of rolling thunder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaFcRbE593A

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Looks like a Do-Mawashi geri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5z7xc7sC-k

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Except there's another half turn and the strike is with the front leg, not the rear leg.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Awesome, that kick is called awesome.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Novum posted:

How expensive was the whole ordeal, all things considered?

Flights were around $800NZ all up from New Zealand but I booked my return ones using my frequent flyer points from work

Accomodation can be as low as $100-150nz a month

Training is officially $350ish a month but I didn't pay that... I don't know if most camps will negotiate or just some.

Food can be as low as 100-150 baht a day or less if you eat local food at small local restaurants which is like $4-6NZ

Motorbike rental for a month is really useful and 2500-3000 baht a month

You'll end up doing stuff like watching lots of fights which costs each time, going out drinking is expensive, buying gear etc.

I guess I would have spent all up about $4000nz.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched the normal kickboxing class and it looks like everyone wears a sort of colored rope necklace type thing which is their "belt". I've honestly never seen anything like that before but it appeared to be for pairing up purposes (as well as what usual belts are used for). The instructor would grab certain colors to have them spar together. Weird, but seemed effective I guess. I think Ben Rothwell knows what he's doing so I don't care.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Maybe it's a takeoff of the mongkol:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, it was pretty much a thinner version of that. During class once he did mention that we'd be learning some muay thai stuff later on along with kickboxing so that just might be what it's referencing.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Hahahaha that is like the laziest poo poo I have heard of. 'I don't give enough of a gently caress to watch you for 30 seconds so I'm going to look at your name tag'

Also, using an imitation mongkol is like walking around with fake stripes on a black belt you didn't earn because it 'looks cool'

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

Guilty posted:

Hahahaha that is like the laziest poo poo I have heard of. 'I don't give enough of a gently caress to watch you for 30 seconds so I'm going to look at your name tag'

Also, using an imitation mongkol is like walking around with fake stripes on a black belt you didn't earn because it 'looks cool'

I've heard of some places that'll make you use a certain color of boxing glove to show your rank. It's all dumb as hell, but I guess everyone wants to make their own little system.

Metal Gear fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 28, 2013

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My muay thai gym uses the arm band method. The place is pretty legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Making money is making money. Everyone has to decide for themselves if their gym's moneymaking system is instrusive to their instruction or not.

• Locked thread