Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

marshmonkey posted:

It will be free.

But it's an actual game this time, how is this possible?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

halwain posted:

Are there any good turn-based strategy games (i tried civ revolution but i really didnt like it compared to the pc-civ games), city builders/simulations or roguelikes on the ipad?
Brogue just came out on the iPad (and not the iPhone :argh:)

radge
Jan 21, 2005

duckfarts posted:

But it's an actual game this time, how is this possible?!

It's more of an actual game but still not that great to be honest. I deleted the beta after a few plays as it was more tedious than anything.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

radge posted:

It's more of an actual game but still not that great to be honest. I deleted the beta after a few plays as it was more tedious than anything.

Same.

(Do beta players have to delete the beta in order to install the release version because I don't want to lose my progress oh god how I have progressed :( )

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Necroneocon posted:

Same.

(Do beta players have to delete the beta in order to install the release version because I don't want to lose my progress oh god how I have progressed :( )

Your beta game won't transfer over. You'll have to either start over or quit the horrible grind fest cold turkey (the beta will be de-activated).

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
RIP that feeling of achievement when I got Ezora and Gurzog... also rip Ezora and Gurzog :smith:

Seriously though, I understand.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Uhhh, so are like, these codes that you've been handing out the beta codes or an early final version?

I guess I should stop playing for now then.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

radge posted:

More insight into the game and why it's good/bad?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

JazzFlight posted:

Uhhh, so are like, these codes that you've been handing out the beta codes or an early final version?

I guess I should stop playing for now then.

The codes are for the final version that will be available Wed evening.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

More insight into the game and why it's good/bad?

He is joking. He is one of the devs.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Necroneocon posted:

Working with radge is such a blast since he is such a jokester!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Necroneocon posted:

Confusing! But any impressions on the game? Can't wait to try it out

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010

pinchet posted:

God damnit can someone help me with Helsing's Fire if you still have it installed? I've been trying this one level for a week or something now, and I feel like once I get it it will be simple.

Does the tonic order on level 68 go green -> blue -> blue -> red -> green ? If so, I can't seem to isolate just the blue guys for the second blue tonic. So annoying!!

EDIT: AND JUST AFTER POSTING THIS I FIGURED IT OUT, FIGURES

Note that the levels in Hellsing's Fire are randomly generated. So if you're having a lot of trouble with a level, you can have it recreate another random level that's similar (I think it's always same enemies/tonics, but different layout). I forget what exactly triggers it to recreate a level, but if you run into a problem again, try doing some other levels and coming back or force quitting the app or something like that and see if you can get a new level.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Change the difficulty in Hellsing's Fire and you'll get a new level. I would be a liar if I said I've never take a step down from Absurd just to get past a level, but its rare. I like the really complex levels.

And it's procedurally generated, not randomly generated.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hey Shalinor, just to let you know, in Jones on Fire, the last upgrade for the health pickup doesn't do what it says it does. It still only heals two blocks.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
So I see sword and sorcery is on sale, but there's two versions, one slightly more expensive than the other. Which one would be best for an iPhone 4S? The only difference seems to be ones iphone/iPod only , the other is universal.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Owlkill posted:

So I see sword and sorcery is on sale, but there's two versions, one slightly more expensive than the other. Which one would be best for an iPhone 4S? The only difference seems to be ones iphone/iPod only , the other is universal.

Do you have an iPad? No? Get the cheaper one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, X-COM is coing to iOS. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/23/xcom-enemy-unknown-iOS/ I'm pretty pumped because it's one of my favorite games, but I am also intrigued, because I think this is the first current gen AAA game to come to iOS. I am curious as to how it will be priced. I am sure it will still be sitting at around $30 on other platforms, but that seems unthinkable for an iOS game.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

They've been giving out copies of XCOM for preorders and putting it on sale for a long time now. It won't be $30.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

McDragon posted:

Hey Shalinor, just to let you know, in Jones on Fire, the last upgrade for the health pickup doesn't do what it says it does. It still only heals two blocks.
Huh, you're the first to mention that. Thanks, adding to my bug board, I'll look into it.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Bummey posted:

They've been giving out copies of XCOM for preorders and putting it on sale for a long time now. It won't be $30.

I can see it going for 10 dollars or so. They did say that they would have to cut down on the number of maps due to file size limitations but otherwise it would be the exact same game so I would have no problem paying an above average app price for it.

Makes you wonder what other games would work well on ios. Fez is being considered and could be ok, but I don't know if something requiring tighter controls like spelunky would work so well. Then again there are games like modern combat 4 that feel awkward to play yet sell lots so what do I know.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The 360 version of XCOM is 7.2 GB so I'm really curious to see how it's going to be really small at an even higher resolution. I don't want to doubt the game because I'm definitely excited but I don't know how they can pull it off.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kilometers Davis posted:

The 360 version of XCOM is 7.2 GB so I'm really curious to see how it's going to be really small at an even higher resolution. I don't want to doubt the game because I'm definitely excited but I don't know how they can pull it off.

The resolution they render at doesn't really matter for file size, only the size of the textures they're using. Odds are the textures will actually be lower resolution than the ones on the 360. Newer iOS devices are powerful, but they're not that powerful. I'm also willing to bet they won't be rendering anywhere near the full resolution of the iPad's screen.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I'm pleasantly surprised they're making an iPhone version. I was sure it would be iPad-only at best.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

They given a rough release date yet?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sad lions posted:

They given a rough release date yet?

Within the next couple of months.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Where are the last four fish in the encyclopedia in Ridiculous Fishing? I'm assuming at least some of them are at the bottom of the last level but I haven't been able to make it that far yet.

Also this game is amazing.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

Where are the last four fish in the encyclopedia in Ridiculous Fishing? I'm assuming at least some of them are at the bottom of the last level but I haven't been able to make it that far yet.

They're in Home Waters and you need to wear the Hedjet to get them.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

The Rokstar posted:

Yea, home waters. Blow your toaster and hairdryer right away (so you don't zap them), grab the first fish and just drill your way to the bottom picking up each fish as you go. Note that you'll have to grab each fish as you go down in order for the next one to show up.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Some of us in the BoardGoons GroupMe decided it would be cool to hold a goon Ascension tournament during March Madness. To that end, I invite all of you to…

:siren: Join the First Ever Goon Ascension Tournament! :siren:

Prizes include an iTunes Store gift code and free Cool Ranch Doritos Locos tacos!

We'll leave registration open for a few days and then post more details on how to run your matches and report your results. Sign up today!

edit: After you join, go into participant settings and change your display name for the event to match your GameCenter name exactly so that your opponents can add you. This won't affect your general account name or any other events you're in.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 24, 2013

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Got all of them, thanks guys :)

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Can anyone tell me how well Final Fantasy Tactics works on the iPhone 5? I have heard that it has some problems but I want to know if they are game-breaking or just occasional annoyances. I know it will probably be updated when they bring the android version over here but given Square's past records it will probably won't be for a couple months and I don't want to wait that long.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Drashin posted:

Can anyone tell me how well Final Fantasy Tactics works on the iPhone 5? I have heard that it has some problems but I want to know if they are game-breaking or just occasional annoyances. I know it will probably be updated when they bring the android version over here but given Square's past records it will probably won't be for a couple months and I don't want to wait that long.

I haven't tried it but it gets talk about enough. It works fine just use your finger to scroll on menus don't try to press and click.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Fun little game you've made here bros (and other guy).

https://everyplay.com/videos/33386

Can't wait until everyone else gets a chance to try it out.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I'm a bit late to the party, but I just finished Year Walk and.. wow. It's pretty much a perfect game, and I have no qualms with the 3.99 price tag. If you like creepy, artistic first person adventure games.. do it. Just do it.

Now to continue to my eternal struggle with Ridiculous Fishing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I started Year Walk yesterday and I definitely agree. I'm slightly lost but it doesn't matter. The gameplay is so fluid so I'm not getting that "stuck in an adventure game" bore fest. The atmosphere of the game is amazing to lose yourself in.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Year Walk is a fantastic game but it's one of those games that doesn't give you very much. You can play it and enjoy it and complete it and still miss everything that the game meant to convey. In a way, I'm glad that it doesn't hold your hand through all its secrets but at the same time a lot of people have missed out on the best parts because they didn't pay enough attention or missed some small details here and there.

It's great that it's not an on rails, guided experience, but it also does itself a disservice by being so god damned obtuse.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven't used it yet but that might be why there's a free companion app to go with it. I'm sure it helps.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shwqa posted:

Mystic Quest :colbert:

Having just beaten Mystic Quest (check that one off the list), I'll say this: It sure as hell has some of the best music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I haven't used it yet but that might be why there's a free companion app to go with it. I'm sure it helps.

Not exactly -- it gives the actual historical folklore background for some of the settings and creatures you encounter, which is really cool, but with one exception (that you'll know when you see) it's not particularly helpful in solving any of the game's puzzles.

Edit: Also, it's totally safe to go poking around in it at any point during the game, you won't spoil anything

• Locked thread