Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DreadCthulhu posted:

Great, thanks for explaining. As a newb, how do I tell that the Embody fits me better than the Mirra? It'd be easy to say after a few months of use, but I'll probably have 10 mins top at the store..
That's a really nebulous thing. You can't really tell if an ergonomic chair fits you unless you correctly adjust it for your body. If you just plop down in the chair without doing that, it might have already been adjusted for someone else with a wildly different body type. See if you can learn the adjustments while you're there and fit it to you.

That said, if you're within the average range of body sizes and don't have any extreme medical conditions, you should be fine in either. The Embody especially has a wide range of adjustments you can tailor just to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Random question: if sitting for some time on a cheap office chair leads to soreness in my quads and glutes, is that the chair itself or poor sitting habits? I'm wondering if getting a fancier chair will make any difference as far as this is concerned, since my posture is already pretty good on average.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DreadCthulhu posted:

Great, thanks for explaining. As a newb, how do I tell that the Embody fits me better than the Mirra? It'd be easy to say after a few months of use, but I'll probably have 10 mins top at the store..

This is why I visited an actual showroom and got the official Herman Miller salesbod to give me a demo. Not only did I find that the Mirra was better for me than the Aeron, but when my Mirra arrived I was able to set it up for myself in a matter of minutes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DreadCthulhu posted:

Random question: if sitting for some time on a cheap office chair leads to soreness in my quads and glutes, is that the chair itself or poor sitting habits? I'm wondering if getting a fancier chair will make any difference as far as this is concerned, since my posture is already pretty good on average.
Good chance it's the chair if it's a cheap one. Even on a good chair, you should be getting up and stretching every few minutes, and possibly even working standing up part of the day.

Exercise and stretch the muscles that are sore, and if you're worried your legs might start being more injured than just sore, stop using the chair right away.

ALSO! I made a video for my company's clients and dealers that may help you guys out. It's a chair adjustment video - the chair is one of ours, but it is fairly representative of the basic adjustments of many ergonomic chairs. And there's a small amount of general ergonomic advice in there too. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejLFaitbj0

That's my voice, and my arm in the blue shirt. :P

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 1, 2013

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Hah that's awesome, thanks for sharing.

On an unrelated note, someone on CL is selling a Mirra for a couple hundred bucks. It has a small 1" tear in the fabric of the seat itself, on the side. Doesn't seem to be a big deal and I could probably reinforce it myself to the point where it doesn't make any difference. For 1/4th of a brand new chair, don't think I should be passing onto the deal. Any thoughts?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rotten Red Rod posted:

ALSO! I made a video for my company's clients and dealers that may help you guys out. It's a chair adjustment video - the chair is one of ours, but it is fairly representative of the basic adjustments of many ergonomic chairs. And there's a small amount of general ergonomic advice in there too. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejLFaitbj0

That's my voice, and my arm in the blue shirt. :P
Speaking of OM chairs it's been about 6 months since we purchased matching set of the OM5 chairs for my wife and I, and we've both been really happy with it.

Sometimes I want a taller back when I'm leaning back but 90% of the time I'm in the chair I'm not leaning back in the chair so it doesn't really matter.

kes
Jan 4, 2006
How easily do the Herman Miller carpet rolly things roll? I have carpet but my floor is noticeably slanted and I don't want the chair to roll on its own. I'm looking at an Embody specifically if that matters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ I have a Mirra on one of those plastic carpet protectors, and while it rolls easily with just a flex of the knee, it doesn't roll unless I want it to.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Hah that's awesome, thanks for sharing.

On an unrelated note, someone on CL is selling a Mirra for a couple hundred bucks. It has a small 1" tear in the fabric of the seat itself, on the side. Doesn't seem to be a big deal and I could probably reinforce it myself to the point where it doesn't make any difference. For 1/4th of a brand new chair, don't think I should be passing onto the deal. Any thoughts?

It must already be at least second hand or they'd just get HM to replace the seat cover on the warranty. I think someone's trying to scam $200 on a junker before they give up and pitch it.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

^^^ I have a Mirra on one of those plastic carpet protectors, and while it rolls easily with just a flex of the knee, it doesn't roll unless I want it to.

It must already be at least second hand or they'd just get HM to replace the seat cover on the warranty. I think someone's trying to scam $200 on a junker before they give up and pitch it.

The sales associate I talked to yesterday at a HM selling store said that the warranty would be valid regardless of whether you're the first owner or purchased it used, so I imagine I could still fix it within its first 12 years. Is that not the case?

Edit: Ugh I checked and apparently it is very much non-transferable. How does the official consumer reseller of HM tell you that with a straight face? :(

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 2, 2013

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jedit posted:

I can't speak for HM specifically, but generally seat fabric is not covered at all under warranty, whether its second hand or not. The usual deal is that it's covered for 2 years and only for manufacturer defects, not user-inflicted tears. Same with arm pads.

converge
Jan 8, 2006
Sitting on a Leap right now. But I will have to take the Steelcase "Gesture" for a test spin when it comes out.

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/gesture/pages/overview.aspx

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
I got a Leap for $160 from this place yesterday: http://www.furnishofficeandhome.org - they have a warehouse by the U of Minnesota. There is some barely-noticeable sun fading on the top of the chair, but other than that it looks and works perfectly. They have 2 left down from 20, but I picked over a couple of them that had some minor stains on the seat - guessing those are the ones that are left. Might still be worth it if you live nearby. Not sure what model it is/options that are present on it/or if it's a really a knockoff; can't tell from GIS pics if it's a high back model or not for example. Can anyone ID this based on this pic? I'm happy with it either way, but it would be nice to know if its like a gen 1 Leap or what-have-you in case I want to sell it in the future.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Well, thanks to this thread I will be saying goodbye to my lovely chair at home when my new Aeron chair gets here... in several weeks.
I tried to find one used/surplus whatever but options are pretty limited where I live, and so I splurged for a full price new one with all the adjusters :)
Tried one out in a showroom today and it was really nice. Looking forward to years of sitting in it!

Thanks to all who have given advice in this thread, whether it's laptops, computer chairs or whatever, SA forums are pretty helpful. I'll give a 'trip report' once it arrives and I've tried it out for a while.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
I'd also like to say thanks to this thread for showing me the way of the quality chair. I went to a place called 'The Back Store' where they had several models recommended in this thread. I sat in a Steelcase Leap, a Herman Miller Aeron in sizes both B and C as well as a Freedom, an Embody, and a Haworth Zody and Very Task. It took me about an hour to decide on an Aeron C with the $50 lumbar pad over the adjustable option. I'm not really in the physical size range the C was designed for but I like the wider back and longer seat area it had over the B. The girlfriend actually bought the Haworth Berry while we were there.

I would strongly suggest that you go find somewhere to sit in these chairs because there really is a lot of difference between each one. I really like the option to adjust the arms in and out as well as up and down and side to side on the Leap. The reason the Aeron won out was because I'm a big fan of mesh when it comes to chairs and the lumbar support was superior.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oppression posted:

I got a Leap for $160 from this place yesterday: http://www.furnishofficeandhome.org - they have a warehouse by the U of Minnesota. There is some barely-noticeable sun fading on the top of the chair, but other than that it looks and works perfectly. They have 2 left down from 20, but I picked over a couple of them that had some minor stains on the seat - guessing those are the ones that are left. Might still be worth it if you live nearby. Not sure what model it is/options that are present on it/or if it's a really a knockoff; can't tell from GIS pics if it's a high back model or not for example. Can anyone ID this based on this pic? I'm happy with it either way, but it would be nice to know if its like a gen 1 Leap or what-have-you in case I want to sell it in the future.

That sure looks like a Leap. I was hoping someone else would chime in because I don't know much about the differences in the models, but for $180 if everything works and feels right you got a pretty killer deal. I paid about $380 for mine and it doesn't look to be in quite as good condition as that one.

How do you like it so far? Mine's awesome, it's stopped the back aches and leg pains I used to get from slouching, now that I've trained myself to sit correctly and set up all the controls.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Oppression posted:

Can anyone ID this based on this pic? I'm happy with it either way, but it would be nice to know if its like a gen 1 Leap or what-have-you in case I want to sell it in the future.

It might be a Leap V2? It's not a Leap V1, because the thing that holds up the back is completely different than mine. Here is a similar chair to mine. The back bar is very thick and clunky.

http://cubeclerk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/10812-1C-333x500.jpg
http://www.qolofficefurniture.com/images/products/396.jpg

So yeah, if you got a Leap V2 for $160, you killed it.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That sure looks like a Leap. I was hoping someone else would chime in because I don't know much about the differences in the models, but for $180 if everything works and feels right you got a pretty killer deal. I paid about $380 for mine and it doesn't look to be in quite as good condition as that one.

How do you like it so far? Mine's awesome, it's stopped the back aches and leg pains I used to get from slouching, now that I've trained myself to sit correctly and set up all the controls.

It's really great so far, going from a no-name task chair to this is a huge improvement on how my back and even my wrist feels after a couple of hours. I was concerned about the authenticity because of how cheap it was, but it seems like I got lucky :). Thanks guys.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Does anyone know of any good places that sell chairs in North Carolina where my fat goony rear end won't sit in and break the loving things?

Ones that aren't a thousand bucks or whatever?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Like everyone else in the western world I spend countless hours sat on my arse in front of a computer, and now that I'm starting to get back pain I've decided to get a decent chair - better late than never I guess. I'm 6'4 and currently 226lb, if that should rule out any of the options.

So having had the selection narrowed down by the internet-chair-selection-committee to Steelcase Leap, Humanscale Freedom or Ergohuman, I failed at the next step - finding somewhere (in the UK) to actually go and try some of them out. Anyone know of anywhere in the south/southwest of the UK (not London) that have some sort of showroom or whatever where I can try these out?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Any suggestions for a good chair, without arms?

For some reason, resting my arms on them causes some serious pain after a while.

I've tried removing them from a HM, but it didn't work out well.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nothing can beat an armless hard backed wood chair in my opinion. Best posture and minimal discomfort.

I sit in one of these and use the table as my desk.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50211104/

amp281 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 23, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly it sounds like your arm rest is either too high or too low - being able to take the weight off your shoulders at the correct height shouldn't cause you any pain.

I'd look for a chair where you can move the arm rests out of the way easily as opposed to one that doesn't have any. What sort of pain do you get at the moment?

Steve Martin
May 31, 2010

I just bought this chair a couple of months ago and it's the best chair I've ever owned. They are having a sale on it right now:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Osgood-Bonded-Leather-Managers-High-Back-Chair-Brown/product_416523

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Caged posted:

Honestly it sounds like your arm rest is either too high or too low - being able to take the weight off your shoulders at the correct height shouldn't cause you any pain.

I'd look for a chair where you can move the arm rests out of the way easily as opposed to one that doesn't have any. What sort of pain do you get at the moment?

It was nerve-pain in my hands from pressure around the elbows.

Story about that... doctor was convinced it was early carpal tunnel, was ready to start trying cortizone shots. I went to a chiropractor for an unrelated reason and mentioned it. He suggested the arm-rest thing and showed me a new stretch to do daily, cleared it up within a week. Been free of pain ever since, so even if it isn't the arm-rests, I'll probably stay away from them for good luck.

kes
Jan 4, 2006

Gounads posted:

It was nerve-pain in my hands from pressure around the elbows.

Story about that... doctor was convinced it was early carpal tunnel, was ready to start trying cortizone shots. I went to a chiropractor for an unrelated reason and mentioned it. He suggested the arm-rest thing and showed me a new stretch to do daily, cleared it up within a week. Been free of pain ever since, so even if it isn't the arm-rests, I'll probably stay away from them for good luck.

Got a link on the stretch? I have a similar issue.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Has anyone dealt with hip muscle pain from sitting? I had it a couple of years ago and it went away but right now it's back and I'm not sure what to do about it beyond not sitting so much and stretching. Any particularly good stretches?

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

hailthefish posted:

I have a very similar christmas "Executive" chair that went from cushy to sitting-on-plywood in a month, so if this works out for you I might have to try it. My current tactic of a pillow and a folded blanket isn't working very well.

A bit late but I finally got around to using a memory foam cushion. It takes a bit to "break in" and it's certainly not ideal compared to a quality chair but it's making a good stopgap for now. I just wish it was a little wider.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

kes posted:

Got a link on the stretch? I have a similar issue.

Nope, but I can describe it easy.

Go to a doorway. Bend your elbows and put your arms straight out to either side. Lean into it. You're just stretching out your pecs. There's a nerve that goes under your chest muscles that connects to your arms. You're trying to stretch out those muscles to loosen some pressure.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Steve Martin posted:

I just bought this chair a couple of months ago and it's the best chair I've ever owned. They are having a sale on it right now:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Osgood-Bonded-Leather-Managers-High-Back-Chair-Brown/product_416523

That looks like it would be comfortable while sitting back and firing someone sitting across the desk from you, but would lack support for computing 8 hours a day.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Hey chair-goons. I read through this thread and after some fun nerv/muscle pain in my shoulder, I'm starting to think my posture while sitting in front of the computer is lovely.

So naturally, it seems that anything worth putting my rear end on for extended periods of time is like 800+

So I found this on Craigslist: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfs/3656671832.html

Does this look shady? I don't know much about Craiglist or chairs, but they have the Herman Miller Aerons for 425 bucks. What say you?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Some are legit, some are not. Just like anything else on Craigslist, there are deals to be had, but buyer beware.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mandalay posted:

Some are legit, some are not. Just like anything else on Craigslist, there are deals to be had, but buyer beware.

What should I look for then? Any easy signs of knock-offs, damage, etc.?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Saxophone posted:

What should I look for then? Any easy signs of knock-offs, damage, etc.?
Look to see if there's a tag on the bottom of the chair that gives the sold-on date. If they're 10+ years old, pass on them. Chairs start breaking down around that time.

Other than that there's really no obvious signs. Just keep in mind by buying a chair used you're passing on having a warranty.

That said, in my opinion, the Aeron is a really outdated chair ergonomically. I can't really recommend it, especially used.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 1, 2013

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I can't really recommend it, especially used.

Anything you'd recommend? I live in St. Louis so craigslist isn't that bad of a source of looking and we apparently have a steelcase store here. I'm just getting my bearings and trying to educate myself. My currently chair is one of those top end executive office depot type chairs which is falling apart and probably doing no favors at all to my spine/posture.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Saxophone posted:

Anything you'd recommend? I live in St. Louis so craigslist isn't that bad of a source of looking and we apparently have a steelcase store here. I'm just getting my bearings and trying to educate myself. My currently chair is one of those top end executive office depot type chairs which is falling apart and probably doing no favors at all to my spine/posture.
This is the chair my company (Office Master) makes, so I'm very biased, but I know it well: http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/Category/Paramount-Series-c95/

The one in particular I'd recommend is the PT78, with KR-200 arms: http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/Office-Master/Paramount-Series/PT78-Office-Master--p128.html

That fits most people in the 5'4" to 6'2" range. Oh, and go with the Grade 2 Moonscapes for maximum comfort.

Falcon24
Sep 9, 2004
Thank god, there's actually an SA topic on office chairs, maybe I can get a real opinion.

I recently purchased a Herman Miller Embody for my PC setup. It came in on Monday. When I tried it out at Design Within Reach it seemed great, but now that I have it in my office, I can't for the life of me find a comfortable setting to adjust it to. I followed the booklet's instructions and even a voiced tutorial on the Herman Miller site, but presently this is the most uncomfortable chair I have ever had. After about an hour of sitting in it, I begin experiencing strong lower back pain that shoots into my thighs and shins, and causes me to get up and walk around. This is not what I was hoping for.

Does anyone have any recommendations before I send it back to Herman Miller for a refund? Presently, I find that I can't get a comfortable recline or back fit. When I'm reclining, should my feet still be firmly on the floor? Even tilting a little back, I end up habitually putting my feet up on the chair legs. Maybe I have it too high? I'm honestly baffled how to adjust it appropriately. My former chair was a cheapo $60 Turcotte Luxura chair from Staples, which honestly worked fine except the padding in the seat wore out after so many years. I'm wondering if I've just used crappy chairs and had such bad posture for so long that a proper chair is like a torture device to me now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Falcon24 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations before I send it back to Herman Miller for a refund? Presently, I find that I can't get a comfortable recline or back fit. When I'm reclining, should my feet still be firmly on the floor?

Yes. If you're reclining far enough that your feet are not resting flat, you're reclining too far.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Hey guys. My apartment has those really slippery fake hardwood floors, so the stock wheels on any desk chair go crazy and make the chair unstable and uncomfortable. Is there some special casters or mat I should buy for this issue?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Hey guys. My apartment has those really slippery fake hardwood floors, so the stock wheels on any desk chair go crazy and make the chair unstable and uncomfortable. Is there some special casters or mat I should buy for this issue?

I know herman miller offers rubbery casters for some of their chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm a big goony goon type and I'm looking for an office armchair to use with my computer. Any suggestions? My previous goon-arm-char I fabricated out of pieces of metal and upholstery and due to the haphazard nature of its construction it damaged the floor considerably.

I'm looking for a big rear end chair. A goonchair if you will. Any suggestions?