Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I'm concerned that Tavros, Feferi, Nepeta and Sollux - hereafter referred to as Team Expendable - are about to fly right into the laser breath of Lord English who is presumably right on their tail. Could this mark the first perma-death of alpha timeline players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

quote:

TAVROS: fLY, pUPA,
TAVROS: fLYYYYY,

oh god please let lord english show up now

quote:

SOLLUX: 0h, feferi and nepeta will be c0ming with me t00.

OH GOD PLEASE DON'T LET LORD ENGLISH SHOW UP NOW

King of Solomon posted:

That replay flash button is the absolute best thing. The absolute best.

I pressed the next page button and alt-tabbed out, stop moving around and let me watch the flash! :arghfist::(

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Oh no, Vriska lost the valuable help of the Worst Character In Homestuck, a blind dude, and The Other Two. How will she ever manage. :ohdear:

I hope this somehow ends up with Tavros getting lasered while the other three survive.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

If anyone could avataritize Nepeta and Feferi exchanging glances, that'd be awesome.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Dorroile posted:

Oh no, Vriska lost the valuable help of the Worst Character In Homestuck

Kankri was there?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hey look Tavros had character progression while dead. What next???

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Dorroile posted:

Oh no, Vriska lost the valuable help of the Worst Character In Homestuck
If you ask me, Tavros's dialogue has been one of the most consistently entertaining things in Act 6.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rooreelooo posted:

I'm concerned that Tavros, Feferi, Nepeta and Sollux - hereafter referred to as Team Expendable - are about to fly right into the laser breath of Lord English who is presumably right on their tail. Could this mark the first perma-death of alpha timeline players?

If anything, I'm expecting the opposite and Team Kinda Terrible right here gets vaporized when the treasure turns out to be a trap. Although yeah you might be right too (Man I hope not). I'd like to think Aradia isn't so far gone that she'd let Sollux wander off to his own death without at least trying to convince him to hang around.

But personally? Lord English's imminent murder-pearance or not? I loved this update. Tavros's character development might be pretty drat shaky, but finally he's reminded what a jerk Vriska is and decides he doesn't want any more of her poo poo. It might've been easier to go along with the crazy ghost-killing treasure hunt plan if Vriska was a more serious leader, but a big bully who just wants what's best for her has run out people's patience. All four of these minor characters are people who don't really have any good character reason to hang around Vriska for her crazy plan anyway beyond, as John noted, they happen to be hanging out together and what're they going to do otherwise. It turns out they're going to bail!

Also, any update that references Sollux's inexplicable appeal to the ladies is a Good Update to me. I think I've really missed some of the minor trolls having their chance to shine.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 25, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think the best part of this update was Vriska's complete freak out about the fact that she was technically being outranked. And of course it had to be by two of the most expendable characters in the comic. :allears:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
So John's just going to let this one play out? I mean he could have stepped in to say 'yeah I got the ring back on the ship' at any point but yeesh I don't blame him for not getting involved.

boner

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 25, 2013

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Ariong posted:

Well, she finally went and did it. She did something that made Tavros of all people decide to turn around and leave, against her wishes.

I actually cheered at that. Talk about s sinking ship.

That's okay, Tavros officially become too good for her anyhow.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I figure John might have thought about giving it to her all the way up to the pirate cruise, the story on the ring's importance and her subsequent meltdown. Even if they had the ring there, imagine the fight for it! I'm sure Aranea isn't planning on anybody present to actually wear the ring.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

DaveKap posted:

It's not like there's much... y'know... logic to things in Homestuck but...

If you've just spent over a year (I can't keep time straight, obviously) following Vriska to an existence-saving treasure and you are minutes-to-hours away from reaching that treasure, how is it that 4 people suddenly decide that this is the perfect time to bail? Where, seriously, is the logic in this? These four are essentially blue-balling themselves in probably the hardest manner possible.

Which can only mean that they already know where this is going to lead and it will most likely be something really terrible that they won't want to stick around for. If not, this was a stupid update. A funny update, but a stupid update.

I figured the other characters were always rather dubious about Vriska's plan in the first place, given how most of Vriska's other plans turned out in the past. (Such as, but not limited to, intentionally creating the demon that wrecked their poo poo before.) So I thought most of them were just along for the ride for lack of anything better to do, at least the ones not mind-controlled into tagging along, and that a green skull-shaped cave and Vriska's boasting probably hasn't done anything to convince them that there's actually a treasure there, or that one ever even existed.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

So John's just going to let this one play out? I mean he could have stepped in to say 'yeah I got the ring back on the ship' at any point but yeesh I don't blame him for not getting involved.

Yeah, that's interesting. We can only guess at what John is thinking. There's a lot of possibilities:

a) Didn't put two and two together until Vriska explicitly said that it was the ring Tavros lost. Just hasn't gotten a chance to say anything.
b) The ring does actually exert some kind of possessiveness, ala the One Ring, and he feels compelled to keep it himself.
c) His conversation with Aradia has convinced him that the trolls are too crazy to bring back to life and he's decided to stay silent on the matter for the time being.
d) ???

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If you need a good reason for everyone to hang around with Vriska previous to this, consider that hanging out personally with her seemed to be the only way to avoid becoming mind-control Lord English bait. Of course, now that she's found the treasure, she surely doen't need to keep sacrificing ghost-friends, so it's safe to ditch her.

I say that, and then Vriska will mind-control the retreating foursome and use them to deflect Lord English when he attacks in a minute.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Holy poo poo, Tavros is actually growing a spine :stare:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Haha I had forgotten how awesome Sollux can be. Dammit, most characters in this comic are. Just look at him, flyin' away like a fucknig piese of grabage.

Tavros was also great here.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Blackheart posted:

Haha I had forgotten how awesome Sollux can be. Dammit, most characters in this comic are. Just look at him, flyin' away like a fucknig piese of grabage.

Tavros was also great here.

I said it long ago, Sollux is actually pretty cool the few times he ever actually talks, but he does it so rarely that everyone forgets that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dolash posted:

If you need a good reason for everyone to hang around with Vriska previous to this, consider that hanging out personally with her seemed to be the only way to avoid becoming mind-control Lord English bait. Of course, now that she's found the treasure, she surely doen't need to keep sacrificing ghost-friends, so it's safe to ditch her.

Honestly, it's best to remember that this treasure-hunt started as a ministrife / ghost party. Just imagine that the party lasted for a long time, and now, at the end, you're left with the people who don't want it to end: the socially-awkward ones.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Sollux, Nepeta, and Feferi have to go. Their planet needs them.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Aww, look at Tavros floating away like a loving piece of garbage. I'm glad everyone is ditching out in the funniest way possible.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Meh, I don't see how this is meant to be the great moment of character growth for Tavros that everyones saying it is. He still seems to be the petulant douche that he's been since he died. And frankly as Vriska said he probably will die.

Sollux is pretty awesome granted, but tbh I'm sort of tired with how he keeps refusing to be relevant to the plot at all.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cavatica posted:

Aww, look at Tavros floating away like a loving piece of garbage. I'm glad everyone is ditching out in the funniest way possible.

I hope I'm not the only one that got the Pumaman theme stuck in their head when Tavros sort of awkwardly took off, flailing all over the place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhxE0Hbz1U

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Meh, I don't see how this is meant to be the great moment of character growth for Tavros that everyones saying it is.

Because he's standing up to Vriska for once in his life death existence.

That's, pretty much it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

distactedOne posted:

Because he's standing up to Vriska for once in his life death existence.

That's, pretty much it.

He already did that, though. That's how he died in the first place.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

And the lovely poopmaster floated off into the sky, never to be seen again.

I'm not sure if Sollux's comeback or Meenah pointing out that Vriska is bad at pirating was the best part of the update.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

He already did that, though. That's how he died in the first place.

Exactly. It just seems like he's making the same mistake again, filling himself with false confidence and being an idiot about it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It really depends on what the next scene is. It's not clear yet if this whole treasure thing was a foolish boondoggle for suckers, so it's not clear if Tavros calling out Vriska's arguably evil methods to achieve her objectives is meant to be a serious condemnation of her hubris or a joke about how these developmentally-challenged cut-and-runners aren't worth carrying into the endgame.

History suggests Tavros is about to be rainbow'd whereas Vriska will get the treasure and high-fives, but maybe Vriska's karma is about to come due and her long-suffering punching bag abandoning her is just the beginning.

Edit - ha ha who are we kidding Hussie is gonna walk on-panel and hand Vriska a trophy.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 25, 2013

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I wonder why Nepeta is going along with Feferi and Sollux. Sure, her and Fef shared a body for a while, but before then I don't think she ever interacted with those two.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

She was always a bit scared of Vriska, and she'd probably want to spend more time with Fef. Feferi rocks btw, gently caress the haters.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Desfore posted:

I wonder why Nepeta is going along with Feferi and Sollux. Sure, her and Fef shared a body for a while, but before then I don't think she ever interacted with those two.

I get the impression that Nepeta and Feferi are pretty much BFFs now, after being a relatively happy unified being for a while. At least Gamzee's corpse-tossing worked out well for some of the trolls involved. :allears:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Blackheart posted:

Haha I had forgotten how awesome Sollux can be.

Midnight Raider posted:

I said it long ago, Sollux is actually pretty cool.

Nephthys posted:

Sollux is pretty awesome.
Being a cheap bastard isn't the only reason I've had this avatar for 2 years.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
This was a great update and all but I just wish Feferi would speak like a normal person again.

God drat is that a great outfit though.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

WAR FOOT posted:

Hey look Tavros had character progression while dead. What next???

Looks like someone forgot about some Sick Fires.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

In the last mini-flash if you tried to click replay, it just transformed into the word "why" instead (and didn't replay).

If you try to click the replay button in the latest page, it starts jumping around the page when you hover over it with your mouse, when you finally hunt it down in the middle of the screen it turns into a Nic Cage face who explains how homestuck will end.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Wrist Watch posted:

In the last mini-flash if you tried to click replay, it just transformed into the word "why" instead (and didn't replay).

If you try to click the replay button in the latest page, it starts jumping around the page when you hover over it with your mouse, when you finally hunt it down in the middle of the screen it turns into a Nic Cage face who explains how homestuck will end.

I like it when Hussie has fun playing around with the flashes.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Maybe the ring John has isn't the ring of life- could the shattering ring in paradox space be it, with what we assume to be Calliope at the center? After all Aranea says the rings are "said to look almost identical" but goes on to say this:

ARANEA: The Ring of Life has a very different story.
ARANEA: I have found no reports of an origin to this ring at all. Like many magic artifacts, it may not even have one which is comprehensi8le.
ARANEA: Earliest reports I have read would suggest it was first discovered 8y some travelers in a desert, and like its sister ring, has changed hands repeatedly since.

So maybe Aranea has a good grip on what the ring of void looks like from being dead forever and such. But if the 'ring of life' is metaphorical and not actually a physical object:

Vriska started her ghost-caravan in the desert. Control of the explanations (and I'd say the expedition itself) has shifted back and forth several times, even her managing to appoint people who outranked her, because sorry Serket, as much as I love you, you are a sucky captain.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Told you guys Feferi was really in charge. Even Meenah and Aranea agree with me. Hell yes.

(Ladies.)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Maybe the ring John has isn't the ring of life- could the shattering ring in paradox space be it, with what we assume to be Calliope at the center? After all Aranea says the rings are "said to look almost identical" but goes on to say this:

How in the gently caress would the shattering ring in paradox space change hands repeatedly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Roland Jones posted:

Told you guys Feferi was really in charge. Even Meenah and Aranea agree with me. Hell yes.

(Ladies.)

No one will ever outrank Meenah. She is simply the highest there is. :colbert: