Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

We were taught cursive on second grade and then required to use it on 7th, 8th and 9th. I consider cursive to be the go-to way of writing if I need to get stuff written very fast, but otherwise yeah, it hasn't been that useful. To be honest, years of drawing comics and such have taught me the habit of using only capital letters! :D

I find it cool how well Tom is drawing those "badly-drawn" -things; it's usually rather hard for a skilled artist to mimic a very simplistic style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I taped a sharpie to the end of a broom handle for this one!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tea-san posted:

You should totally offer this as an option for commissions at conventions

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tea-san posted:

Method Comicry.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tea-san posted:

That's pretty awesome. I do admit that I had trouble seeing City Face until I looked at the insert photo closer.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I guess that's what a pigeon looks like when seen from another dimension where her brain resides.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Forgall posted:

I guess that's what a pigeon looks like when seen from another dimension where her brain resides.

This is actually an incredibly accurate photorealistic depiction.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Tea-san posted:

I'm amazed that you did that and still managed to put a recognizable pigeon in there (although it took me a minute to spot it).

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Tea-san posted:

Ah, that explains a lot. Applied artistry!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Forgall posted:

I guessed it was an etheric pigeon.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

How adorably terrifying. :allears:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Tea-san posted:

I see a convention in the future where you are suspended by a series of ropes from the ceiling and asked to churn out as much art as you can in the space of 15 minutes in this style.

It'd be For The Children, so you can't say no.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Tea-san posted:

This is amazing. I assumed you just drew it normally, but that's some dedication to accurately drawing like you have claws for hands.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I'm guessing no one's replied yet because they're all still staring, but this City Face is the best City Face.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Tea-san posted:

I was hoping that you had done something like this to draw Lindsey's comic and I am so glad it was true.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I'm guessing no one's replied yet because they're all still staring, but this City Face is the best City Face.

At last, the true face of City Face stands revealed.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dogdoo 8 posted:

It's kind of giving me this urge to close my windows and crawl under my bed where the birds can't find me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zerilan posted:

It's kind of giving me this urge to close my windows and crawl under my bed where the birds can't find me.

Too bad the text translates as pigeons everywhere bird :unsmigghh:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I like it! It reminds me of those super-abstract Polish movie posters.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

It goes beyond that though with loose brushstrokes to make the image within an image look unplanned making the picture really creepy. A+ even better than Mort's ghost pigeon.

Is pigeon ghost taken? I love terrible jokes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tea-san posted:

I'm a day late, but this is the best thing.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

:stare: Well, glad I didn't read that before going to bed. And on a related note, seeing this comic for the first time is an apt replacement for morning coffee.

Tea-san posted:

That is the best.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Hellpigeon best pigeon

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Man, an Ebay auction of the original pages for these would probably pay Toms rent for a year

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tupperwarez posted:

Was my first thought as well! Poland is famous for its weird graphic design, and everyone should take a look at some of their posters, to learn the meaning of true horror.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

Too bad the text translates as pigeons everywhere bird :unsmigghh:

pigeons

pigeons everywhere

birds

I love how Gunnerkrigg's integration of non-English languages is so well-done.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Not in Paz's case, at least.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Blackheart posted:

IIRC Tom responded to a lot of people correcting her Spanish with something along the lines of "Writing more Paz dialogue, can't wait for everyone to point out the grammatical errors of a Galician hick!"

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Blackheart posted:

As far as I was aware, that was on purpose.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It always felt a bit forced to me, even if you read it as the appropiate spanish dialect (didn't know it was supposed to be gallego however). Don't get me wrong, it's an extremely minor nitpick and I love Paz, I just took it as a little bit stereotyped, yet not offensive or anything. I'm from South America but most of my family came from Spain.

Honest mistake or in purpose, I really don't have a problem with it.

(my english can sound pretty silly, too)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Blackheart posted:

It always felt a bit forced to me, even if you read it as the appropiate spanish dialect (didn't know it was supposed to be gallego however). Don't get me wrong, it's an extremely minor nitpick and I love Paz, I just took it as a little bit stereotyped, yet not offensive or anything. I'm from South America but most of my family came from Spain.

Honest mistake or in purpose, I really don't have a problem with it.

(my english can sound pretty silly, too)

Indeed, characters from other regions/countries must always be portrayed as the most refined, exemplary sort. :wotwot:

Speaking as someone from North Carolina, I'd also appreciate if the media never represented us as uneducated hicks ever again. People from South Carolina, however, are still fair game.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

^^^^ Urgh, that's not what I meant at all. It doesn't come off as "unrefined", just a bit unauthentic. ^^^^ (to clarify, I wasn't saying that it sounds too uneducated or rough, but rather the opposite)

Look, I didn't intend to cause a derail so I'm sorry. It's a really minor detail anyway.

quote:

Huh? I only found one mistake in all the dialogue Tom has written for Paz. I'm from South America too - Argentina, to be precise - and I'm actually amazed at how well written Paz's dialogue is, considering she's just a secondary character.

The grammar is fine, I mostly meant the tone was (just a bit) "forced" in that you can tell when it's written by a non-native speaker. It also isn't how a gallego "hick" would talk since that's more akin to portuguese. To give a comparison, some of the dialog was maybe -too- proper, like if I exclaimed "oh, it is a balloon" in english (just an example, the actual balloon line was fine); that's what I meant by "forced".

It is still very good despite that however, way better than what most movies/television portray as spanish/latino. Again, it was just a very minor spergy nitpick, so apologies for that.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 26, 2013

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I must have missed it; what was wrong with Paz?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Huh? :raise: I only found one mistake in all the dialogue Tom has written for Paz. I'm from South America too - Argentina, to be precise - and I'm actually amazed at how well written Paz's dialogue is, considering she's just a secondary character.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I still practice my cursive regularly. (Not a great example of my handwriting, but it's a pretty green ink).

Mort's drawing has probably gone downhill because he's still not used ot these modern ball-points.

What pen did you use for this? One with a flex nib or an italic or what?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blackheart posted:

The grammar is fine, I mostly meant the tone was (just a bit) "forced" in that you can tell when it's written by a non-native speaker. It also isn't how a gallego "hick" would talk since that's more akin to portuguese. To give a comparison, some of the dialog was maybe -too- proper, like if I exclaimed "oh, it is a balloon" in english (just an example, the actual balloon line was fine); that's what I meant by "forced".

Amusingly, that sounds a lot like how Annie used to talk in English.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Red's friend is a very talented artist.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Red is a fantastic artist though.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I'm glad Tom gave us the version without the text, as it makes it easier to avatarize.

I'm a stupid bird! I poop everywhere!

EDIT:

Also, if we hadn't seen the unretouched version, I wouldn't have noticed Red gave it angry eyebrows.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, Blue's awesome at that.

Tom, do things in that style and auction them to us, damnit.