Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Japanese youtube ad while browsing cat videos. I watched the whole thing. No clue what's going on, but it's a well-designed piece of media.

http://youtu.be/oCsMNgzT8lA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Interesting story + photos of two runaway locomotives going through an open lift bridge and into a river: http://nilesdepot.org/niles/wreck.html

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Japanese youtube ad while browsing cat videos. I watched the whole thing. No clue what's going on, but it's a well-designed piece of media.

I'd love to see more of that steam locomotive running in the snow at :44

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Anyone been to the Maine Narrow Gauge Rail Company and Museum in Portland? My wife and I are taking a vacation to Portland this summer to visit a friend and get away and my wife found the museum online and knew I'd dig it. Looking forward to checking out 2' rail and visiting the museum.

http://www.mainenarrowgauge.org/

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

For well designed pieces of media, this is the second best* railway safety info video ever made,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

*after the Top Gear/Network Rail crossings video. Be safe, wear a high visibility coat.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

*after the Top Gear/Network Rail crossings video. Be safe, wear a high visibility coat.

I believe it's a High Visibility Jacket, my good man.

And two hard hats.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Sorry for it being hard to see

What's left of the car is by the white truck to the left, the police where getting on scene as I shot this. Surprised this hasn't been in the news, at least I didn't read about it in the local papers, but car vs train, no surprise who won here. And the guy in the car died. Kinda surprised that they have at grade crossings without any warning signals at all. I wonder if the guy got too used to trains (well, the cars anyway) being their, because Uncle Pete has been using the derail (not pictured) as storage for the last 6 months.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

InterceptorV8 posted:

Kinda surprised that they have at grade crossings without any warning signals at all.

For an alert driver, the cross bucks are warning enough. I feel bad for that crew, but not for the dude driving the car.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

So in North American locomotives, if you want to maintain speed do you just have to jockey between throttle positions continuously, or is there like a cruise control? Or you just settle on the slower of the two positions?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ijustam posted:

So in North American locomotives, if you want to maintain speed do you just have to jockey between throttle positions continuously, or is there like a cruise control? Or you just settle on the slower of the two positions?

In Railworks I've found myself playing around with the throttle a bit especially on the Horseshoe Curve to keep within the speed limits, but I'm not sure if that's how engineers do it for real.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

InterceptorV8 posted:

Sorry for it being hard to see

What's left of the car is by the white truck to the left, the police where getting on scene as I shot this. Surprised this hasn't been in the news, at least I didn't read about it in the local papers, but car vs train, no surprise who won here. And the guy in the car died. Kinda surprised that they have at grade crossings without any warning signals at all. I wonder if the guy got too used to trains (well, the cars anyway) being their, because Uncle Pete has been using the derail (not pictured) as storage for the last 6 months.

I drove through some at grade crossings without arms on a 55mph road in Ohio. Of course, I was stuck behind a school bus who stopped at every crossing.

I'm at corporate headquarters for a week and a half of orientation/indoctrinationtraining. Don't give a gently caress cause I can expense everything and my boss' only direction was "don't eat at Ruth's Chris everyday".

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ijustam posted:

Depends on the grade, tonnage, etc. Iowa for instance is a constant throttle up and down then dynamics then back into power.

They do have auto control called "leader". loving garbage. Its like putting a monkey at the controls while its to busy trying to find the most fuel efficient setting it causes the slack to run in and out. And when the slack gets to be to much its asking to break a drawbar or a knuckle. And that increases a risk for derailment. Every one in my territory just turns it off and files a report. Most say "can't run a train, turned off leader."

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Other than going up hill for a ways or down hill for a way you are very busy with the throttle.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Old head conductor steals and sells thousands of bucks of train horns in Texas gets BUSTED
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Union-Pacific-conductor-arrested-for-stealing-train-horns-over-3-years--199639251.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

B4Ctom1 posted:

Old head conductor steals and sells thousands of bucks of train horns in Texas gets BUSTED
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Union-Pacific-conductor-arrested-for-stealing-train-horns-over-3-years--199639251.html

I hope they hunt down all the trucks with the horns and confiscate them. I hate those loving things.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

B4Ctom1 posted:

article posted:

But the time lost because of the thefts is what Houston police said hurt Union Pacific the most. Each train engine without a horn has to be taken out of service. The engines had to be lifted off the tracks and taken in for repairs.

I assume this is an error by the reporter, and that they're not actually lifting engines off the tracks for something that sounds like it could be replaced anywhere?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Erwin posted:

I assume this is an error by the reporter, and that they're not actually lifting engines off the tracks for something that sounds like it could be replaced anywhere?

I hope so, or you'd hope some bean counter/Quality Assurance guy somewhere would scratch his head asking 'Why are we shipping locomotives to replace a horn?'

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I hope so, or you'd hope some bean counter/Quality Assurance guy somewhere would scratch his head asking 'Why are we shipping locomotives to replace a horn?'

You guys and your quality assurance dreams......

Anything more than replacing a headlight bulb or other very minor tasks, locomotives are shipped to major locomotive facilities for most repairs.

Most of you would poo poo as to how many dumb moves this company makes on a daily basis.

For instance-

1. We had a rail car that was shipped back and forth between 3 yards for about 3 weeks. If your wondering how I know this is because I worked the job that was to go between those 3 yards and do a pick up and set out of cars. The car is very noticeable, it had a D9 Cat bulldozer painted on the side. It was on our work order to do so, so I just complied. I told people that had the power to do something about it, but they really could care less.

2. Locomotives have annual inspections every 180 calendar days. We are short on switch power right now because the lack of planning has allowed these locomotives to expire (you can't use them after 180 days or its a giant fine), so we have a butt load of dead power laying on the ramp until we can get new power in.

Its generally a giant poo poo fest. And the overtime has been insane lately.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

1. We had a rail car that was shipped back and forth between 3 yards for about 3 weeks. If your wondering how I know this is because I worked the job that was to go between those 3 yards and do a pick up and set out of cars. The car is very noticeable, it had a D9 Cat bulldozer painted on the side. It was on our work order to do so, so I just complied. I told people that had the power to do something about it, but they really could care less.

This kind of poo poo really pisses me off. The Grand Canyon Railway has two cars that are exactly the same, save for the name and the number, called "Arizona" and "Bright Angel". There was two loving weeks where every night, I would get orders to take one off, put the other one on. There was nothing wrong with the cars mechanically, it was just the guys setting up the manifest were dicks. It's annoying and inefficient.

In other news, I'm going up to Anchorage next week to interview for a conductor position on the Alaska Railroad. Has anybody here had any experience with them?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

As a passenger, ARR is fantastic. I hope they still have the HO setup at the Fairbanks depot.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is it a foreign or TTX car?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Veins McGee posted:

Is it a foreign or TTX car?

Nope, a UP owned car.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tex Avery posted:

This kind of poo poo really pisses me off. The Grand Canyon Railway has two cars that are exactly the same, save for the name and the number, called "Arizona" and "Bright Angel". There was two loving weeks where every night, I would get orders to take one off, put the other one on. There was nothing wrong with the cars mechanically, it was just the guys setting up the manifest were dicks. It's annoying and inefficient.

In other news, I'm going up to Anchorage next week to interview for a conductor position on the Alaska Railroad. Has anybody here had any experience with them?
You work on the GCR? Are you or anyone else there aware how idiotic and obnoxious the cowboy "entertainment" is on those train rides? If I'm on a train going to see one of the greatest natural wonders in the world, who can possibly believe that it elevates the experience to have a man dressed as a cowboy with a guitar telling jokes? Who loving thinks that? What is this, a county fair sideshow in Kansas? I know you have nothing to do with that, but honestly. Honestly.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You work on the GCR? Are you or anyone else there aware how idiotic and obnoxious the cowboy "entertainment" is on those train rides? If I'm on a train going to see one of the greatest natural wonders in the world, who can possibly believe that it elevates the experience to have a man dressed as a cowboy with a guitar telling jokes? Who loving thinks that? What is this, a county fair sideshow in Kansas? I know you have nothing to do with that, but honestly. Honestly.

I USED to work for the Great Cockup of a Railway. Yes, it's loving horrendous. Yes, most everyone who is there knows it. I hate it. My wife, who is still a train attendant, hates it too.

Since we're on the subject, I'd advise everyone AGAINST riding that train. The parent company runs resorts, and GCRy is the only railway they own, and it shows. I was qualified in a wide variety of positions, and I was available 24/7, and they paid me the measly sum of $11.00 an hour. I barely made rent on that.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That, and the "train robbery" for tips at the end of the trip is just obnoxious. Dunno if they still do that, but it was definitely a downer when my family rode it a few years back.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

zundfolge posted:

That, and the "train robbery" for tips at the end of the trip is just obnoxious. Dunno if they still do that, but it was definitely a downer when my family rode it a few years back.

This is the highlight of my list of reasons of what's wrong with that railway. They'll tell you all fuckin' day, "Tip the singers, get out some money for the robbers!" Those cowboys keep the money for themselves. Meanwhile, the car attendant who's been making drinks, handing out information, and basically being your planner for the day usually doesn't bring home much in tips, and they are strictly forbidden from making it known in any way that they accept tips. gently caress that place.

Yes, I'm a little biased, but even if it weren't for the fact that this affects my wife's already lovely income, I'd be pissed.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

CommieGIR posted:

I hope they hunt down all the trucks with the horns and confiscate them. I hate those loving things.

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS.

Erwin posted:

I was going to say that was a bit much, from reading this thread, I figured railroad did silly poo poo like patching airlines with ball point pens, like we do.

Tex Avery posted:

I USED to work for the Great Cockup of a Railway. Yes, it's loving horrendous. Yes, most everyone who is there knows it. I hate it. My wife, who is still a train attendant, hates it too.

Since we're on the subject, I'd advise everyone AGAINST riding that train. The parent company runs resorts, and GCRy is the only railway they own, and it shows. I was qualified in a wide variety of positions, and I was available 24/7, and they paid me the measly sum of $11.00 an hour. I barely made rent on that.

Huh, I know someone who worked/works on that as well. Don't you guys do the Santa Express thing? Also, why the gently caress don't you have a Tex Avery avatar, you lazy rear end.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

InterceptorV8 posted:

Huh, I know someone who worked/works on that as well. Don't you guys do the Santa Express thing? Also, why the gently caress don't you have a Tex Avery avatar, you lazy rear end.

If you have private messaging, drop me a line and let me know who it is. I'm curious.

It's "The Polar Express." You heathens can't ever get it right. :colbert: Just kidding. I had a love/hate relationship with that train. I still stand by what I tell everyone that the only good thing for me to come out of the Polar Express is meeting my wife.

As for the avatar, :effort:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
My wife put this on my facebook.

There is probably a "In Russia..." somewhere in there too :rolleyes:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Here's your response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doV4z0JARe8

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I learned something interesting today about narrow gauge steam locomotives: the reason some of them have the counterweights on the outside of the frame and the wheels concealed is because of the boiler being too big to fit on a frame that would have proper wheels.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Every time I see a narrow gauge train I feel like it should just topple off the tracks.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The way the Durango & Silverton Railroad is, it's almost a loving miracle they've never had a train just fall off one of the cliff sides in heavy winds or something (unless that happened and I never found out) :ohdear:

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Day two of my MOW training, sitting in my hotel. Familiarizing myself with this 6-inch thick engineering binder. You TY&E guys get anything like this? :haw:

vains
May 26, 2004

There is a rule for everything. CSX mandates that all computer chairs have 5 or more casters.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Strawberry posted:

Day two of my MOW training, sitting in my hotel. Familiarizing myself with this 6-inch thick engineering binder. You TY&E guys get anything like this? :haw:

We just got tiny rule books. The old guys bitch because the print is to small, I will try to remember to snap a photo next time I am at work.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Veins McGee posted:

There is a rule for everything. CSX mandates that all computer chairs have 5 or more casters.

:psyduck:

Oddly enough, I haven't run into anything :psyduck:-worthy. Yet.

Also, that thick binder is sort of a cookbook for laying track. The black logo one has the rules and orders that I need to keep near me at all times.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Here's a video from a show called "Monster Moves." In this episode, a South African Class 15F 4-8-2 "Mountain" steam locomotive is moved from Bloemfontein to Glasgow, and everthing goes wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBozymv2QrU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The episode of that show where they moved a Big Boy (successfully) was pretty cool, too.

Something weird about seeing a huge engine driving on roads with a shitload of rubber tyres propelling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Brother Jonathan posted:

Here's a video from a show called "Monster Moves." In this episode, a South African Class 15F 4-8-2 "Mountain" steam locomotive is moved from Bloemfontein to Glasgow, and everthing goes wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBozymv2QrU

I'd hardly call it *everything*. Looks like it was all standard stuff that could have been planned for with more than 20 minutes forethought.

That said, that train is gorgeous.