Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Radical Griff posted:

I honestly don't even like using Snopes anymore because they just say "It's run by a Liberal so it's biased and untrue" and then I realize it's a lost cause.

:(

Simple solution, use the info from snopes without saying where you originally got it from, then link to the sources that snopes nearly always lists. Same as using wikipedia: use the article as a starting point and then only show the citations on hte page if anyone calls you on your data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

myron cope posted:

It's the same thing as welfare (or anything else, really) in that anecdotes are more powerful than data. They once knew a union worker who took 3 hour breaks! And his boss couldn't fire him! So clearly ALL union people are that way. Just lazy people sucking money out of the precious job creators (:911:)

Instead of saying "hey, unions seems to help people and improve wages and working conditions, I want to join a union!" people say "hey, gently caress you, i'm miserable and making minimum wage, so should you :argh:" Crab mentality.

There's two people in my experience who tend to be especially anti-union, as opposed to feeling that unions need to be reformed in some way due to perceived leeches in the ranks, or believe that the only moral union is their own: business owners who want to get away with paying their workers in beans, and those who work in the tech industry. With the latter, there's some hope. The jobs are still so plentiful and well-paying that many are led think unions aren't necessary. Couple this with a total lack of labor history being taught in our schools (public or private), and you have a whole class of people who completely take their working conditions and employee rights for granted. Education is certainly a helpful way of reminding these people that employers historically don't treat workers fairly out of the goodness of their own hearts.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Gen. Ripper posted:

Vaccines grandpa just posted this:

Now, to be fair, I don't know much about Aspartame, but he got it from a page called "Conspiracy Watch" which has an Illuminati thing as its profile picture, so I'm leaning towards it being BS. :shrug:

Wait, you mean animals that don't taste sweet, and animals that look for metabolizable chemicals to eat won't eat something designed to be sweet, but indigestible? Shocking!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr Darcy posted:

Simple solution, use the info from snopes without saying where you originally got it from, then link to the sources that snopes nearly always lists. Same as using wikipedia: use the article as a starting point and then only show the citations on hte page if anyone calls you on your data.

They will just say the researchers had liberal bias. You can't win with these people. It's turtles bias all the way down.

You know whoever coined the phrase liberal bias sure had a foolproof idea.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Couple this with a total lack of labor history being taught in our schools (public or private), and you have a whole class of people who completely take their working conditions and employee rights for granted. Education is certainly a helpful way of reminding these people that employers historically don't treat workers fairly out of the goodness of their own hearts.

I know a couple of anti-union people and their responses for why they dislike unions are one of two things. The first is "Unions used to be good, but they don't serve any purpose now so there's no reason to have them anymore." The second (which sometimes goes along with the first) is "Unions are corrupt and greedy and raise dues when the members get a raise so that the effect of their raise is negated so they're no better off than before."

Education doesn't seem to work either as they will invariably fall back on the first response if you show them the good that unions do.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I've also seen a couple anti-union working Randroids who argue that unions cater to the lowest denominator and that they could totally get better terms if they negotiated a separate contract. I'm not sure how best to answer them other than a)You really should be able to negotiate a separate contract, let me know how it goes, and b) It ain't the union's fault that they can't negotiate a separate contract, blame the Taft-Hartley Act.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

quote:

This is FUNNY! Take a moment to read this. You won't be sorry.

In the year 2013, the Lord came unto Noah, Who was now living in America and said:
"Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me."
"Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans."

He gave Noah the blueprints, saying:
"You have 6 months to build the Ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights."

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard - but no Ark."Noah!," He roared, "I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?"

"Forgive me, Lord," begged Noah, "but things have changed."
"I needed a Building Permit."
"I've been arguing with the Boat Inspector about the need for a sprinkler system."

"My homeowners association claim that I've violated the
Neighborhood by-laws by building the Ark in my back yard and exceeding the height limitations. We had to go to the local Planning Committee for a decision."

"Then the City Council and the Electricity Company demanded a shed load of money for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear none of it."

"Getting the wood was another problem. There's a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the Greater Spotted Barn Owl."
"I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go!"

"When I started gathering the animals, PETA took me to court. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodations were too restrictive and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space."

"Then the Environmental Protection Agency ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on Your proposed flood."

"I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I'm supposed to hire for my building crew."

"The Immigration Dept. Is checking the visa status of most of the people who want to work."
"The labor unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only union workers with ark-building experience."

"To make matters worse, the IRS seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species."
"So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this ark."

"Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine and a rainbow stretched across the sky."

Noah looked up in wonder and asked, "You mean you're not going to destroy the world?"

"No," said the Lord. " The Government beat me to it."

So, big government and liberal special interest groups save the world from a vengeful God?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I literally support every piece of bureaucracy he's bitching about, how is that for being a pinko-commie?

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

So, big government and liberal special interest groups save the world from a vengeful God?

Government regulations keep people from dying needlessly.

Yea, that's about right I suppose.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

rear end in a top hat Randian God gives you six months instead of 120 years to build an ark?

Also he welshes on the whole never flooding the earth thing again. You know, what the rainbow is supposed to represent?

Wait a second... is this Noah guy just getting scammed? I bet this "God" commanded him to get rid of all his worthless fiat money and fill the ark with GOLD.

Ugh. Being a super-liberal Christian makes you crazy over the silliest inconsistencies.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
This Noah guy got one hell of a giant backyard, but maybe he should hook up with the guys trying to fund an ark over at Kickstarter? You know, to make it some kind of zoo, just without all that natural habitat thing or enough light to make those poor critters' lives bearable.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

13stitches posted:

This Noah guy got one hell of a giant backyard, but maybe he should hook up with the guys trying to fund an ark over at Kickstarter? You know, to make it some kind of zoo, just without all that natural habitat thing or enough light to make those poor critters' lives bearable.

:whoptc:

Come visit Animal Cruelty Land! Bring your kids! See the exotic wildlife trapped in tiny pens in the dark depths of a giant fake boat! Hear their pitiful cries as they beg for the sweet release of death! This exciting entertainment experience can be yours if people just give us 1.5 million dollars, for which they will receive basically nothing in return!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Reading that email, I was also very glad that God saw all the horrible government bureaucracy and decided that instead of killing all human beings on the Earth except for the passengers and crew of one single boat, he spared everyone. The email obviously argues that the more suffocating and stultifying bureaucracy that is built up by humans, the greater is the favor of God towards those humans on this Earth.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Radical Griff posted:

I literally support every piece of bureaucracy he's bitching about, how is that for being a pinko-commie?

Restricting building height and similar zoning restrictions tend to exist to avoid cheaper and denser buildings such as apartment buildings, which serves to keep out less affluent and otherwise "different" people. I'd argue that this is a case where the free market would produce a far superior result.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Radical Griff posted:

I'm the same, all I could think throughout reading that was 'isn't this a good thing?' I'm sure the tea types read 'save the Greater Spotted Barn Owl' and laugh about silly liberal ideas like preserving irreplaceable biodiversity, but keeping a religious fanatic who's heard voices from cutting down a forest can only be a good thing.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
My high school guidance counselor just shared a pro-Joe Arpaio thing :(

How does this guy have supporters? He's such a hateful cruel man!

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Because he's hateful and cruel towards the 'right' kind of people?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Exactly. He's hateful and cruel the way they want to be but are too cowardly to express in public (because they still have a shred of decency and/or shame).

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Sir Rolo posted:

The week in LL101:

Liberal media

The LL101 justification is pretty funny as well. Apparently they think she was taking a lunchtime power walk or something.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Reporterette accuses senatorette of avoiding question.

Edit: Bachmann is a representativette.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 25, 2013

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
This isn't an e-mail, but the women in the cube aisle behind me have decided that today is full retard FreeRepublic day.

Just nonstop people in real life regurgitating the dumbest poo poo you've ever heard online or saw in Facebook image form.

Gems today:

".. and Darwin recanted all of his research and his theory on his deathbed, he didn't even believe it!"

"I don't understand how the constitution is a living document that grows to protect cellphone calls and text messages, but the 2nd amendment doesn't protect ownership of new, modern guns"

"And I had to explain to my 7 year old about a transsexual man, and it was just like REALLY!?" *group of them erupts in groans and unveiled disgust and hatred*

The benefits of home school because of liberal propaganda in schools, pledge of allegiance, and yeah, I have no idea where this came from, I've been here for a year and BAM.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Saw the below posted on FB today. So tempted to post back and say, "Okay, we spent $50 billion on foreign aid in 2011. So let's put $50 billion back in the budget, and let's go ahead and cut off visas for legal immigrants. Shucks, let's assume we can block all illegal immigrants and triple the cost of all our food, but ignore that for a sec. Are you really telling me that not only will we have enough money now to take care of the social ills you mentioned--but you'll also drop your teaparty bootstraps bullshit instead of asking WHY ARE MY TAX DOLLARS FEEDING LAZY HOMELESS AND CRAZIES?"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it
What, exactly, are all these entitlements we are handing out to illegal immigrants?

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012

I Am The Scum posted:

What, exactly, are all these entitlements we are handing out to illegal immigrants?

Weren't you reading all the other posts in this thread? If you would have done so you would know that illegal immigrants get Social Security, MediCare and Food Stamps.
You know, all those things you could easily get as an illegal immigrant.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Don't forget they get all the best jobs, like janitors and meat packing plant workers.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

And free college tuition!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Well one of them DID become president.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They aren't thrown onto the street when they go to the ER. That's the only actual thing that resembles an entitlement.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They aren't lynched on the spot.

If only the South would have won the war of northern aggression we wouldn't be in this mess.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

They aren't thrown onto the street when they go to the ER. That's the only actual thing that resembles an entitlement.

Real Americans pay cash up front for their heart attacks or kidney stones.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Internet Webguy posted:

Reporterette accuses senatorette of avoiding question.

Edit: Bachmann is a representativette.

Whenever people add -ette to job titles I can't help but think of this paper:
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html

Reporteroon accuses Senatoon of avoiding question. Will Presidentoon Obama finally admit to wrongdoing in Benghazi?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Whenever people add -ette to job titles I can't help but think of this paper:
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html

Reporteroon accuses Senatoon of avoiding question. Will Presidentoon Obama finally admit to wrongdoing in Benghazi?

Holy gently caress is that real?

quote:

Most of the clamor,as you certainly know by now, revolves around the age-old usage of the noun "white" and words built from it, such as chairwhite, mailwhite, repairwhite, clergywhite, middlewhite, Frenchwhite, forewhite, whitepower, whiteslaughter, oneupuwhiteship, straw white, whitehandle, and so on. The negrists claim that using the word "white," either on its own or as a component, to talk about all the members of the human species is somehow degrading to blacks and reinforces racism.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

katlington posted:

Check the author and read all the way to the end.

I've never seen this before and it's absolutely amazing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

katlington posted:

Don't read this before finishing the person paper, it's worth reading the whole thing:

It's satire. It takes place in a parallel universe where they use terms like Chairwhite/Chairblack instead of Chairman/Chairwoman.

If you look, there's absolutely no differentiation between genders in the entire paper.

Edit: One of my favorite lines is: Our forebosses who framed the Declaration of Independence well understood the poetry of our language.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 26, 2013

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't read this before finishing the person paper, it's worth reading the whole thing:

It's satire. It takes place in a parallel universe where they use terms like Chairwhite/Chairblack instead of Chairman/Chairwoman.

If you look, there's absolutely no differentiation between genders in the entire paper.

Edit: One of my favorite lines is: Our forebosses who framed the Declaration of Independence well understood the poetry of our language.

All whites are created equal. *record scratch*

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Restricting building height and similar zoning restrictions tend to exist to avoid cheaper and denser buildings such as apartment buildings, which serves to keep out less affluent and otherwise "different" people. I'd argue that this is a case where the free market would produce a far superior result.

Sorry for the late response, but I take issue with this.

Seeing as how race relations are still as...sticky...as they are in America, I would argue that the free market would make things even worse for minorities. Sure, if one realtor won't sell to a black family, the "free market will correct" (theoretically, I take issue with this too), but a free market in real estate would only serve to re-segregate parts of this country.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Radical Griff posted:

Seeing as how race relations are still as...sticky...as they are in America, I would argue that the free market would make things even worse for minorities. Sure, if one realtor won't sell to a black family, the "free market will correct" (theoretically, I take issue with this too), but a free market in real estate would only serve to re-segregate parts of this country.

One need only look at housing practices in Detroit before white flight really took off to see how a free market system would pan out.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Radical Griff posted:

You are jumping to a very different interpretation of free market here though, what I am saying is that building restrictions are a rather unsubtle way of segregating. If it was possible to build apartment complexes in the suburb sprawl it would happen, since busing in cheap labor to tend your lawn is inefficient. I am not suggesting that realtors should be allowed to discriminate.

White flight and the like is enabled by regulation, rather than being the result of the free market.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

I am not suggesting that realtors should be allowed to discriminate.

Then you're not really talking about the Free Market.

White flight and the like is enabled by regulation, rather than being the result of the free market.

It's enabled by racism, which, although it shocks many Libertarians, isn't exclusive to big government. Getting rid of regulations does nothing for the racist bent in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Radical Griff posted:

Then you're not really talking about the Free Market.

You are just being dense now, I am saying that competitive forces would do a better job of aiding an egalitarian society in the case of zoning building heights. The fact that I used the term "free market" to express that does not entitle you to a strawman about allowing realtors to ban black peoples from buying houses. Noting that not all regulation is good is not the same as being libertarian.