Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there any way to make GZdoom do that "dark rooms get darker with distance" thing that the vanilla/software renderer does? Uniform lighting just isn't the same.

EDIT: Speaking of Blood, it's :siren:currently 60% off on GOG:siren: as well as other non FPS classics such as MoO, Pirates, and Roller Coaster Tycoon!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Scyther posted:

Slimers are the little green blobs that climb on your face, right? Are people really that annoyed by them? They're a pretty pointless and annoying enemy, but compared to the chaingun lizards and the exploding drones, I always found them a minor nuisance at worst.

People tend to be incredibly terrified of them even though you can quick-kick them off your own face, somehow.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Mak0rz posted:

Is there any way to make GZdoom do that "dark rooms get darker with distance" thing that the vanilla/software renderer does? Uniform lighting just isn't the same.

The latest version of GZDoom now has a "Doom" option for Sector Light Mode (under Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Preferences). This is supposed to be like "Dark" mode but with some brightening around the player, to approximate what the SW renderer did. I haven't fiddled around comparing these modes but it sounds like this might be what you're thinking of.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Newer builds of GZDoom have a 'software' style of lighting now, so maybe that has the effect you're looking for?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hah, well looks like they read my mind! Thanks I'll try it out.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

rodney mullenkamp posted:

People tend to be incredibly terrified of them even though you can quick-kick them off your own face, somehow.

Yeah, I'm one of those people. They're especially bad in Duke Nukem 64 because you don't have a quick kick button. I just hate the noise they make and how they cover your whole screen. I would be fine with them if they were like headcrabs.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Oenis posted:

After all the Blood talk around here (especially the brilliant pitch from FirstPersonShitter) I've decided to give it another whirl. Previously I've always been repulsed by it not having a proper sourceport and no out of the box mouselook support, but with bmouse and a couple of line edits it works out okay. Four levels in, I think the level design is amazing. Very lifelike setpieces that are fun to navigate, secrets are mostly hidden just right so you can find most of them with a bit of exploration and following visual cues, and the gunplay is nice too. Plus the atmosphere, the music is creepy and pretty good. Eh, I can't say anything that hasn't been said before, except if you've got any love for 90ies FPSes you owe it to yourself to get into this.

I found the first post on this page on the gog forums most helpful for setting up bmouse in dosbox:

http://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/bmouse_0_5_mouse_driver_that_fixes_the_terrible_mouselook_on_dos_build_games/page4

Also doing this, also really enjoying it. Bmouse helps a whole lot. Not trying to just hoard all of the TNT I was getting made a big difference too. It's still hard though. Quick-saving a hell of a lot more often than I would in Doom.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The expansion episodes in Blood are also really well done. Kind of surprised that there hasn't been some sort of high-res texture update for it though because I thought edits like that were possible without needing access to the source. I could be wrong though but I think the textures created for Cryptic Passage are twice the resolution of the originals.

Also if you want more Blood I'm obligated to pimp my buddy's excellent expansion Death Wish if you want more gory cultist blasting action. :smugwizard:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
I'm also playing through Blood again, thanks to finally figuring out why bmouse wasn't working (wasn't launching the game through setup). There's one glaring flaw with it: the difficulties. The first 3 are too easy and the last 2 are far too difficult. In the first 3, enemies drop life essence and ammo all the time, while in the last 2 they almost never do. The core difference between the 2 tiers of difficulties is simple: Finding a secret or two in the first 3 make you drat near invincible, while in the last 2 you need to find the majority of them to even have a hope of surviving. If there was a difficulty with the enemy drops of the easier difficulties with the increased and tougher enemies of the last 2, the game would be much more fun.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

Also if you want more Blood I'm obligated to pimp my buddy's excellent expansion Death Wish if you want more gory cultist blasting action. :smugwizard:
I second that. The mod is fantastic, and some of the levels are better than the official ones. It really pushes the build engine to its limits in some maps too. It does go away from the campy feel of Blood a bit though, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

With all this Blood talk I wish I had the time & skills to make an improved, well-written and easily-installable version of my launcher. :( I'm still kind of pissed Hall's resurrection project didn't pan out too.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

The Kins posted:

Completely redid the radius-based instasquish system used by Tanks and JERKs.

This led to hilarious results in a Reelism game I played earlier where I got the JERK and Tank reel at the same time. Trying to run over THE JERK in the previous version was like hitting a wall, but now getting close to THE JERK as a Tank just flings him high into the air. And by high, I mean to the roof of Gutrot Island. He also doesn't fly straight up, so I tried to fling him off into the water. Sadly, it didn't work.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yodzilla posted:

I will completely third this, as Death Wish is great.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

One thing in Build games that bMouse can't change is the frustratingly-low Y-axis resolution for mouse controls. :sigh:

Anyone know if there's a way to lower the music volume in the GOG version of Blood without having to resort to actually editing the .ogg files?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
You mean beyond the audio settings in the setup? Because those work just fine for me. Also, you pretty much never need to move your mouse up or down since the game autoaims vertically for you.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 25, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bloodmobile posted:

You mean beyond the audio settings in the setup? Because those work just fine for me.

Really? It doesn't do poo poo on my end...

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Really? It doesn't do poo poo on my end...

The audio settings in the options don't work, the ones in the setup do. If neither work for you, you might wanna see if there's anything related to the audio in your dosbox configs.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
gmDoom (the mod that adds Doom weapons and enemies to Garry's Mod) is now my new favorite thing for making and watching crossover CPU vs CPU battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX3IYaGievs

The teams were 7 zombie soldiers and 3 heavy weapon dudes from Doom vs. 7 Combine soldiers and 3 Combine Elites from HL2. I honestly didn't expect the fight to end the way it did, but it was still really fun to setup and watch. :)

My only wish is that GMod would get an actual movie editor like TF2 has for making replays. Hopefully, they will add that in a future version.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 25, 2013

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Everything about Death Wish was simply incredible. I've been using BUILD (although for Duke and not for Blood) for over 10 years and it puts the vast majority of my work to shame. There's just such a huge variety of environments and great ideas in it. I was planning to play Serpant Resurrection but now I'm torn between that and replaying this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bloodmobile posted:

The audio settings in the options don't work, the ones in the setup do. If neither work for you, you might wanna see if there's anything related to the audio in your dosbox configs.

:doh: I never thought of this. I'll give it a try, thanks!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Today I would like to talk about Doom 2.

I know what you're thinking, 'Why Doom 2? Everyone already knows Doom 2. Everyone likes Doom 2.'.

But you're wrong. Nobody likes Doom 2. Not really. You might think you like Doom 2. I thought I liked Doom 2. But I don't and you don't.

I came to realise that nobody really likes Doom 2, interestingly enough, the last time I played Doom 2. I thought to myself, awesome, time to play some sweet beans Doom 2. But every level I came to I thought "Oh man, not this level". Then the next level came along, "Oh man, not this level". Again and again. Sure, it lulls you in to a false sense of security with the early handful of levels. But after that, the point at which I stopped thinking "Oh man, not this level" was the end of the game.

There are no good levels in Doom 2.

Actually there are a couple, but it's not as dramatic saying "a majority of the levels in Doom 2 are lovely". Now that I've said the levels in Doom 2 are lovely enough times (though you can't overstate it (you can and I have)) I'm gonna explain why the levels in Doom 2 are lovely. There are a few criteria which I use to judge levels in games, presented here in no particular order:

1) Looks/Thematic Consistency - I put these two together cause they're purely aesthetic and don't have anything to do with gameplay. I like levels to look good, and I like them to make a token attempt at making sense. I'm fine with weird layouts and poo poo as long as they're in the right place, like hell in Doom. It's more fun fighting monsters in a badass hellscape or ancient tech base than it is fighting them in a brown cube.

2) Monster and item placement - Self-explanatory. Where the monsters and items are placed shapes the action. Bad monster and item placement can make a level boring or unfair. Good monster and item placement sets up memorable encounters and awesome scenarios (See the Blood train level where the guns akimbo powerup is put right next to the diner car full of cultists). For the sake of having three bullet points I'm gonna include traps in here, gently caress-you or otherwise.

3) Flow - The path the player takes through the level and the game in general. I don't like to backtrack. If you make me backtrack there better be something new to see there, some dramatic or rad change. Otherwise I'm just like "hey its this part of the level that was much better earlier when it had monsters and items in". I know John Romero digs on backtracking but that guy made Daikatana so he can gently caress off.

So yeah for me to get really jazzed about a level it's gotta get pretty good marks in all three. I can forgive a level that sucks in one aspect if it's great in the other two. I don't have like some crazy rear end ulililia numerical scoring system, although I guess my argument might be more compelling with some sweet bar charts involved. Whatever.

Basically every Doom 2 level is ugly as poo poo and makes no sense as any sort of building anywhere ever. These levels are ugly for no good reason at all. You'd think if you were gonna be lazy as gently caress with your visual design you'd at least pick textures from the same set, just so you could get a basic level of consistency going. Nope. The map designers in Doom 2 went to specific effort to make their levels ugly and clashing.

Consider that Doom 2, while lacking formal episodes, is allegedly divided up into pseudo-episodes, each covering a particular sort of environment. Starport, hellish outpost, city, hell itself. You'd think the levels would in some way or another mirror this, but no. Not unless the starport built its waste tunnels from friggin medieval wood. Maybe they could have. Maybe they hired some radical french architect and said to him 'Jean Pierre make our waste tunnels with envy of the world' so he goes off and buys a boatload of friggin teak and metal rivets and skull decorations and wall-sconces and builds map 5, The Waste Tunnels. Then the starport officials come down and say 'Jean Pierre, this is beautiful, but where does the waste go? Why are there hidey holes full of medikits? Why the flashing floor arrows and alcove-based puzzles?' and Jean Pierre calls them philistines and makes lots of outraged, accusatory french hand gestures and storms off and they're just stuck with it cause they already paid him.

But that's a little unfair, The Waste Tunnels is at least internally consistent, consistently brown, but consistent. Other levels just don't give a gently caress. Yeah gently caress it lets put wooden doors in this tech base with no other demonic features. Yeah let's make this sector in this room randomly a different texture. Let's mix it up and make this elevator out of ugly green stone. The texture designers are at least a little to blame. Some of the textures they added are loving hideous. Can anyone justify that one blue/red flecked glowing wall texture at all? What is that supposed to be? It's not ice or fire or crystal or anything. It can't even pass for bad children's wallpaper cause it loving glows.

Enough about the game's ugliness. Let's move on to cussing its monster and item placement. Imagine the word CHALLENGE superimposed on a video of Sandy Petersen plopping down revenants in small rooms and laughing. This is how all the monsters in the game were placed. I guess they decided to up the ante of monster closets in Doom 1 by adding lots of gently caress-you traps. gently caress-you traps are seperated from normal traps by their severity and lack of forewarning. If you don't know about it before hand, you're done son. Even if you do you're still gonna take damage. At one point you take a teleport and WOOP! Three imps biting your face, pressed up against your hot bod in hell's portaloo. There's no way to avoid getting hurt there. Consider also the mega chaingunner gently caress you trap from map 9 The Pit. Straight up.

Now to me good game design involves never forcing the player to take damage. It should always be avoidable, unless you give them health both before and after doing it. Otherwise if you force them to take damage and they don't have enough health to survive they'll be hosed. Doom 2 doesn't care about that. Doom 2 will gently caress you for the next level as well. There is basically no ammo in map 9, THE PIT, and there are tons of monsters. Even if you get the secrets you are gonna be low on ammo when you reach map 10, THE REFUELLING BASE! which is one of the harder levels in the game.

You can call me a bitch and bad at the game but the fact is even the best player is gonna make a net loss on ammo in a lot of the levels. Doom 2 is not a challenging game but for the gently caress you traps and lack of pickups. Nowadays being able to use the mouse to aim and easier strafing cover for these weaknesses somewhat, but at the time with a keyboard it would have been a lovely experience.

Once you escape from the lovely confines of the starport and such you reach the city episode, where you will enjoy wandering around a poorly scaled, nonsensical cityscapes looking for a switch or a door or a key. Just as quake stole brown from hexen, hexen stole obtuse, open world shittery from doom 2 like some kind of game design human centipede. A lot of the time big, open maps are just laziness. A level should guide the player and progress logically. Some open world levels do this, but most of them are just so the designer doesn't have to think of how they're going to link up the level's setpieces.

Don't get me wrong Doom 1, which is a great game everyone likes, had some lovely loving levels at times too. But there is an important mitigating factor there: Nobody who made Doom had ever played Doom before. Doom 2 came after like a year, and presumably a few high quality user-made WADs. Why weren't the levels better? Why didn't they learn from the mistakes of the bad levels in Doom 1? It's not like we can blame it solely on new map designers, as John Romero, who made most of the awesome episode 1 of Doom 1, turns up and shits out a couple of terrible, ugly maps.

Doom 2 makes a lot of improvements on Doom 1 however. It fattens up the skinny monster heirarchy, it adds a much needed mid-level damage boost in the form of the super shotgun, so you don't have to grind down cacos with the regular shotgun anymore. Some of the new monsters are loving annoying and utilised extremely badly in Doom 2, like the chaingunner and pain elemental, but that's how they're used and not so much the monsters themselves. There are a couple of great fun (still ugly) maps in the game too, like Tricks and Traps, but they're drowned out by the terrible and the mediorce.

User made WADs from the time, like The Plutonia Experiment, show how good Doom 2's basic toolkit of monsters, weapons and items can be when used right. It's just the levels that let Doom 2 down, and there's really no good reason why the levels are so bad. It's why nobody really likes Doom 2.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
I like your writing.

On another note, I played some co-op Brutal Doom with my buddies. It was quite like you'd expect.

We had a blast, but gzdoom gets really wonky when playing online. Tons of desync issues and players getting dropped out. I'm wondering if I should go for Zandorum instead.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Now that you mention it, I recall several things about Doom 1, but not that much about Doom 2. The only things I really remember about Doom 2 is that it is a sequel to Doom 1 and that it has the super shotgun. I can remember secret areas and pick-up locations in the majority of Doom 1, but can't remember much past the first stage or two of Doom 2. I can't remember much of the aesthetic choices in stages, either, since the level design wasn't impressive at all, and I don't remember any of the music in the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A smug sociopath posted:

We had a blast, but gzdoom gets really wonky when playing online. Tons of desync issues and players getting dropped out.

Just like Doom 1 on Doom 3 BFG Edition for the PS3, then. Hell it doesn't even completely disconnect you, you're still in the lobby with your friend but your games get split until you restart. loving annoying.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

A smug sociopath posted:

I like your writing.

On another note, I played some co-op Brutal Doom with my buddies. It was quite like you'd expect.

We had a blast, but gzdoom gets really wonky when playing online. Tons of desync issues and players getting dropped out. I'm wondering if I should go for Zandorum instead.

You should definitely use Zandronum. There's a version of Brutal Doom for it and for every wad that works in it Zandronum is a massively superior multiplayer experience. Just have one of you create a listen server with whichever server browser it includes (Doomseeker?) and the rest connect and you'll be golden. Very easy, very stable.

Also totally agree on Doom 2. The new shotgun and new enemies are all smart additions but it says a lot that all of my best memories with Doom 2 took place on custom maps.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

A smug sociopath posted:

I like your writing.

That looks like a blast. I tried playing with Doomseeker/Zandronum in order to make a private game for my friend and I to play, but he couldn't connect (or find the server on the list) and even when *I* tried to join the server, it said I wasn't able to. Is there a decent guide that you know of to setting it up appropriately?

The alternative is just to jump onto someone else's server when it's empty, which is pretty easy to do, but it gives us less control. Is there a simpler way than Doomseeker to co-op through Doom 1 with brutal doom?

Thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Literally the only thing I use my DOOM2.WAD for is for fan-made content. I played through it once and once is enough. Though, I am going through the BFG version on the 360 right now. I just hit one of my (few) favorite levels, MAP14: The Inmost Dens, and I'm going to be sad when it's over :smith:.

Everything FirstPersonShitter said about Doom 2 is the exact reason why I hate it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 25, 2013

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

I know Doom II by heart and love it. I guess I'm just a huge liar :allears:

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

I was wondering if someone could post at their convenience a few quick screen caps or links thereof showing what Deus Ex New Vision should look like with detail textures? (The ones on the mod download page don't help much.) I know it's supposed to be an easy install, but I'm having a few difficulties and I'm not sure if it's working or not.

I downloaded the DX10 renderer, placed it in the game's base system folder, downloaded the DirectX web installer just to make sure I have all necessary files (despite the fact that I already have DX11, as recommended by the DX10 renderer site), and neither my DirectX 10 nor (after downloading the web installer) my OpenGL options work from the launcher. The former gives me a missing .dll error, and the latter just crashes upon opening.

I can, however, play using DX9, and I have the detail textures option checked in the launcher. I also added S3TC=true to the relevant section of the .ini.

It really doesn't look to me like the detail textures are being used though, at least as far as I went on the opening docks. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if they only work with DX10/OpenGL, or if I'm just expecting too much? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

So, I've been playing Serpent Ressurection...10 hours later I'm still not done :stare: I wanted to wrap it up in one day but it looks like the last parts of it will have to wait. It's one hell of an adventure, marred by some really lovely jumping puzzles. They're easy enough to noclip by in anycase. The levels are pretty sparse and don't have that much detail, but they're huge and paint a really great scene - I'd say they're much more like Unreal than normal Hexen levels. I realised a short while in that it was made by the same author as Sonic Doom, which had similar problems but was a pretty epic adventure all together.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TheMammoth posted:

I was wondering if someone could post at their convenience a few quick screen caps or links thereof showing what Deus Ex New Vision should look like with detail textures? (The ones on the mod download page don't help much.) I know it's supposed to be an easy install, but I'm having a few difficulties and I'm not sure if it's working or not.

I downloaded the DX10 renderer, placed it in the game's base system folder, downloaded the DirectX web installer just to make sure I have all necessary files (despite the fact that I already have DX11, as recommended by the DX10 renderer site), and neither my DirectX 10 nor (after downloading the web installer) my OpenGL options work from the launcher. The former gives me a missing .dll error, and the latter just crashes upon opening.

I can, however, play using DX9, and I have the detail textures option checked in the launcher. I also added S3TC=true to the relevant section of the .ini.

It really doesn't look to me like the detail textures are being used though, at least as far as I went on the opening docks. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if they only work with DX10/OpenGL, or if I'm just expecting too much? Thanks for any suggestions.

Deus Ex Thread

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I know what you're thinking, 'Why Doom 2? Everyone already knows Doom 2. Everyone likes Doom 2.'.

But you're wrong. Nobody likes Doom 2. Not really. You might think you like Doom 2. I thought I liked Doom 2. But I don't and you don't.

I came to realise that nobody really likes Doom 2, interestingly enough, the last time I played Doom 2. I thought to myself, awesome, time to play some sweet beans Doom 2. But every level I came to I thought "Oh man, not this level". Then the next level came along, "Oh man, not this level". Again and again. Sure, it lulls you in to a false sense of security with the early handful of levels. But after that, the point at which I stopped thinking "Oh man, not this level" was the end of the game.

There are no good levels in Doom 2.

<snip>

Don't get me wrong Doom 1, which is a great game everyone likes, had some lovely loving levels at times too. But there is an important mitigating factor there: Nobody who made Doom had ever played Doom before. Doom 2 came after like a year, and presumably a few high quality user-made WADs. Why weren't the levels better? Why didn't they learn from the mistakes of the bad levels in Doom 1? It's not like we can blame it solely on new map designers, as John Romero, who made most of the awesome episode 1 of Doom 1, turns up and shits out a couple of terrible, ugly maps.

Doom 2 makes a lot of improvements on Doom 1 however. It fattens up the skinny monster heirarchy, it adds a much needed mid-level damage boost in the form of the super shotgun, so you don't have to grind down cacos with the regular shotgun anymore. Some of the new monsters are loving annoying and utilised extremely badly in Doom 2, like the chaingunner and pain elemental, but that's how they're used and not so much the monsters themselves. There are a couple of great fun (still ugly) maps in the game too, like Tricks and Traps, but they're drowned out by the terrible and the mediorce.

User made WADs from the time, like The Plutonia Experiment, show how good Doom 2's basic toolkit of monsters, weapons and items can be when used right. It's just the levels that let Doom 2 down, and there's really no good reason why the levels are so bad. It's why nobody really likes Doom 2.

This is a cool troll post and stuff, but stating your personal opinion as fact doesn't make it so.

I love Doom 2, mostly because of its level design. Doom 2's maps are far more varied in scale, structure, and gameplay concepts than the original game's, and honestly they're full of more interesting ideas than most user-made WADs. Your specific calling out of Romero's levels surprises me. The Living End, Industrial Zone, and Circle Of Death are horrible, ugly maps? Really? I just can't take this seriously at all. Romero's Doom 1 levels are classics, but they're rather primitive in comparison to his later work for Doom 2 and Thy Flesh Consumed.

Doom 2's later levels are often experimental and strange, but I love almost all of them. As a level designer, they're full of inspiring layouts and set pieces. With that said, you mention that people positively remember Doom 2 based on the first few levels, and I would argue the same goes for Doom 1 to a far greater extent: John Romero spent nearly the entire development time creating and refining Knee-Deep in the Dead, but the second and third episodes were mostly built extremely quickly at the tail end of development, with Sandy Petersen learning on the job and cobbling together Tom Hall's scraps.

You don't have to like Doom 2, obviously, but telling other people that they're only pretending to like it is pretty stupid.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I'm kind of confused by this general "everyone liked Doom 1 and hated Doom 2" mentality that some people in this thread have. I think Doom 2 is the superior game in pretty much every aspect, and it's more consistently fun than Doom 1 ever was to me. It has much better level design decisions, better pacing by far, and just a good variety of styles of levels.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I'm kind of confused by this general "everyone liked Doom 1 and hated Doom 2" mentality that some people in this thread have. I think Doom 2 is the superior game in pretty much every aspect, and it's more consistently fun than Doom 1 ever was to me. It has much better level design decisions, better pacing by far, and just a good variety of styles of levels.

What really happened is that due to the timing on people figuring out level editors, Doom 1 always had less availability of custom WADs to play on so the included WAD got played the most; while WAD editing was mature enough by the time Doom 2 was out for people to play custom WADs the most.

Since you didn't have to play the stock levels when you wanted to play Doom 2, a lot of people played them much less, and over time custom level design far outpaced the quality of the stock maps and made 'em look worse.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Most of Doom 2 is pretty good, but there are a few completely awful levels in there which spoil it a bit - Refuelling Base and The Pit are particularly egregious. Still, it made up for it with Tricks and Traps and Monster Condo so it's ok in my book.

I think that Final Doom does a much better job with level design, but it did come out a couple of years later so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I adore The Pit :(

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I played Doom2 a ridiculous amount since I got it when I was a whipper snapper on my birthday and only had Doom I's shareware version. The issue with Doom2 is it does have a dire lack of thematic consistency, and though I dread certain levels like no other in the original Doom (The chasm, the Pit, the Focus, and so on) its just the real stellar feeling of 'what the gently caress is this place even meant to be?' which has always irked me.

Of course many of my beloved wads like Alien Vendetta have abstract design and challenge put above theme, but Doom 2 is meant to be 'Hell on Earth' and there is usually no inkling whatsoever of where you are and what the place meant to even vaguely represent. This has lead me to have a kind of warped perspective of liking levels like Downtown (its obviously meant to be a town, I can deal with that) over things like 'Tricks and Traps' which is just a lovely name on top of a lovely map which I'm glad to get over quickly. Of course I'm not looking for anything close to a realistic environment but just some idea of what a place is meant to be or represent would have been nice.

I still love Doom2 and for some reason I'm going through it again on the recently purchased Xbox360 version. The extra levels really are a breath of fresh air and I'm enjoying the kudos of having an official map pack which is genuinely challenging after all these years. :devil:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Chinook posted:

That looks like a blast. I tried playing with Doomseeker/Zandronum in order to make a private game for my friend and I to play, but he couldn't connect (or find the server on the list) and even when *I* tried to join the server, it said I wasn't able to. Is there a decent guide that you know of to setting it up appropriately?

The alternative is just to jump onto someone else's server when it's empty, which is pretty easy to do, but it gives us less control. Is there a simpler way than Doomseeker to co-op through Doom 1 with brutal doom?

Thanks!

Did both of you have the appropriate port open? It's pretty straight-forward otherwise.

Make sure you have both broadcast options ticked. You can set a password in the Misc. tab. When you start the server you get this:

From which you can control it. You can join the server yourself from the File menu. And at this point you should be able to find your own server in the server browser, like so:

Sort by ping, it should be at the top. If you can't find your own server than your ports are a mess or something hell I dunno. Try reading this. If your friend still can't find it, he can try connecting to the server from inside Zandronum by typing "connect YOURIPADDRESS:PORT" into the console. Obviously make sure that he's loaded the same pwads you have and in the same order.

P.S. it's super lame that they didn't do the between-stage map screens in Doom 2. Doom 2 is way lame.

e: No Rest for the Living contains the best official maps Doom 2 has ever had.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

esselfortium posted:

I adore The Pit :(

Are you sure it isnt stockholm syndrome?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Guys guys guys guys people agreed with him on HeXen and most agreed with him on Blood, maybe if he continues writing those declarations people will agree with him on other games! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's definitely a middle ground here because I hate a ton of the levels in Doom 2 but I think it's the better game because of the monsters and the SUPER SHOTGUN. Whenever someone writes Super Shotgun it should have the sound effect of it firing.