Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

xgalaxy posted:

3) She recently spent $1500 on a pair of shoes, as has been discovered along with everything else about this lady.
How dare she!?

I don't really understand the "you have money you shouldn't be allowed to use kickstarter" attitude, it always comes across as being pretty bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

FreakyZoid posted:

How dare she!?

I don't really understand the "you have money you shouldn't be allowed to use kickstarter" attitude, it always comes across as being pretty bitter.

Since KickStarter is closer to a donation model than a traditional investment model on a sliding scale, there is some expectation that people asking for funding couldn't casually write a check for the amount already. Being very wealthy while asking for what amounts to a donation tends to not play well with the unwashed masses.

e: VVVVVVVVV Yeah, I agree. I was just pointing out why people might be offput by that. There clearly isn't any reason for vitriol here or there or anywhere. Kickstarter has seen worse. I think at worst this could be seen as slightly misguided but my first impression is that it's a cute gesture by a caring mother. It definitely doesn't deserve all this poo poo.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 25, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

octoroon posted:

Since KickStarter is closer to a donation model than a traditional investment model on a sliding scale, there is some expectation that people asking for funding couldn't casually write a check for the amount already. Being very wealthy while asking for what amounts to a donation tends to not play well with the unwashed masses.
Why on earth does it matter, though? Just don't send them money. Done.

But no. We've got people trolling a comments thread that, like it or not, is being read by a 9 year old. Every ounce of vitriol you pump in here feeds that. Which is complete bullshit. People are feeding a giant drama bomb, when all they ever had to do was just... not give someone their money.

The best part is that there's this implicit expectation that she shouldn't have used her skills as a marketer to make her daughter's Kickstarter fly (why wouldn't a parent help their kid to the best of their ability?). Which people are justifying by asking if this is REALLY her daughter. Really. Just... :ughh:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 25, 2013

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
That Kickstarter struck me as not very genuine. That being said I think it would be awesome to donate to somebody providing scholarships to girls to go to game development camp.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

I hope this project gets shut down.
It's not that she is a millionaire. It's that she is violating the rules.

1)This is a lifestyle project and the project was only recently updated to reflect that she will "sell" the rpg to skirt around the rules.
2) She spammed twitter hoping to go viral, even spamming talk show hosts.
3) She recently spent $1500 on a pair of shoes, as has been discovered along with everything else about this lady.

This is a scam, it's shameful. She is using her kids, if indeed those are actually her kids, into manipulating women's equality activists and white knights out of their money. Top payers are even supposed to get a "personal apology" from the brothers.

This whole thing is just loving stupid.

You didn't answer the question. How is this different from any other Kickstarter where inexperienced devs want to make a game but can't afford it? How is that not lifestyle funding but this is?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
What I want to know is what's going to be the Evil Camp in the inevitable summer camp vs movie they make out of it.

Would an evil RPG Camp teach Vancian class mechanics or what?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
For me, it's (mostly) the same as Richard Garriott or Brian Fargo asking for money. It's not like they NEED it, but if people want to give them cash, it's not like they're being disingenuous. It's sort of gross to pimp out your kids like that, but as long as they're using the money to actually send her and do whatever else the rewards are, more power to 'em.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

For what it's worth, she just posted an update (kind of) addressing some of the vitriol. She's unapologetic about her family and her business efforts (which I agree with; as Shalinor said above, why wouldn't she use whatever experience she had to help her daughter execute a plan?) and explicitly states that her family is not going to keep the extra funds and that they are looking into how to best appropriate those funds. She even challenges the internet sleuths to dig into her background and fact-check her which is either gross underestimation of the internet or proof that she's generally telling the truth.

I have some good family friends who are all entrepreneurs, and she strikes me very much as someone with the entrepreneur mindset. That is, money is definitely a huge part of the goal, but the real lesson she's trying to teach her daughter is how to manage the entrepreneurial process: get an idea, develop the idea, list the risks/rewards, minimize chances of failure by procuring funding, secure funding by formulating and executing a successful campaign/pitch to investors, etc etc. It isn't solely about getting money, but it's about the whole process: building this all yourself and retaining as much ownership of it as possible while spending as little of your own money as possible to maximize returns, which to be fair is how a lot of the bigger business ventures in our culture operate.

I think the main thing that really puts ME off the whole thing is the treatment of the sons in this particular case. Maybe they're complacent in all of it, and if they truly were/are being dicks to their little sister I can't really feel badly about them, but using them as the villains of the story and pushing them to the level of a backer reward is so heavy handed it smacks a bit of exploitation.

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 25, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

mutata posted:

I think the main thing that really puts ME off the whole thing is the treatment of the sons in this particular case. Maybe they're complacent in all of it, and if they truly were/are being dicks to their little sister I can't really feel badly about them, but using them as the villains of the story and pushing them to the level of a backer reward is so heavy handed it smacks a bit of exploitation.
If the mother's as savvy as she seems, I'm going to bet it went down like this:

1.) Brothers, not as mean as implied, taunt their sister. Because they're brothers.
2.) Mother spies as a fantastic parenting opportunity to teach them all a lesson. Proposes a bet. If the boys win, they get X, but if the girl wins, the boys will be publically humiliated.
3.) Everyone agrees.
4.) Mother spins up a Kickstarter, designed to teach both the daughter and the brothers about entrepreneurship.
5.) Being well aware of how the internet worked, the mother hopefully kept the daugther away from the comments spew, planning to take the brunt of the trolling herself.
6.) Likely trolling used to teach another lesson, about how the internet works / the importance of context.

Asok
Aug 19, 2006
Hi! I'm Asok! :)

Shalinor posted:

5.) Being well aware of how the internet worked, the mother hopefully kept the daugther away from the comments spew, planning to take the brunt of the trolling herself.
6.) Likely trolling used to teach another lesson, about how the internet works / the importance of context.

These two points are probably giving the mother more credit than she deserves. If you're right though, parent of the year.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I think that's giving her WAY too much credit.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The whole thing is exploitative as hell. I don't think there is anything sincere in the pitch. She blatantly misconstrues things and fabricates bits here and there to make a compelling story (it's an RPG STEM camp, STEM STEM STEM, her daughter goes to D&D tournaments, etc) to build a media-friendly, emotionally charged narrative. A narrative in which she's cast her kids as both the heroes and the villains.

It's incredibly effective, and if you want to teach your kid about how the internet and mob opinion works, it's a great idea, albeit one lacking a level of ethics I don't find comfortable.

Its disingenuous and against the TOS outlined by Kickstarter, but because the emotional sway of "Women in STEM fields" is so strong, it gets to override that.

We saw the same thing happen with the same narrative with Anita Sarkeesian's videos - people gave her a ton of money because they believed in the emotional narrative involved, not in Sarkeesian's specifics of the videos she was going to produce, or even her ability to produce them - with the emotional charge of the narrative encouraging both the outpouring of dollars and the ludicrously loving large amount of pure evil and hatred she had to put up with.

But we have an emotionally charged, expertly manipulated "us vs them" campaign not dissimilar to any particular political opinion - you can't disagree with the specifics without being demonized by one side or the other. I fully support women in STEM fields and little girls going to RPG summer camps (which sounds fuckin' sweet as hell, and I wish I had such a thing as a child). But I can't support this woman's gross manipulation of real issues to help fund a lifestyle.

To those saying "well don't donate then!" - Kickstarter is based on the idea of communal due diligence. That isn't possible without discussion about the campaign, and that means both positive and negative discussion. The numerous kickstarters in the "awful kickstarters" thread get ripped to bits for easily justified reasons, and I'm not sure why this one gets immunity for it...well, I am, and its because the emotional appeal trumps indepth examination.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Again, how is this any different than two friends who have never made a game in their life asking for money to make a game?

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Maxime posted:

Well I'm definitely planning on starting as a one man deal, if only because I want to work on my own time. But as for lovely first games, yeaaaah I'm expecting that but at the same time I'm really hopping the learning process won't be soul-crushing.

I suggest you aim low. Like a word game on iOS or something. I can't imagine someone with no experience making games who is working on their own ever completing a complex project, less one that will make any money or be any good.

edit:

As for the Kickstarter thing, I don't see a problem with it if the donaters don't themselves feel misled. Obviously, it would be preferable if she used the money on some kind of social program to get more girls into tech/game development in general but if other people want to give a millionaire their hard-earned money so her kid can go to RPG camp or whatever that's their prerogative.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I think my biggest problem with it is that it could potentially take away money from other projects that might actually NEED it. I think it's pretty stupid that she even bothered with a Kickstarter when she can, without a second thought about it, pay the bill already, but I'm not horribly outraged by it or anything. Certainly not giving her any money for it, though. If her goal was to raise awareness for women in STEM or whatever, she probably could have had the same effect if she was trying to raise money to send a bunch of OTHER people's kids to RPG camp, but then the narrative wouldn't be as catchy.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I think the general concept is sound, and the awareness building is great, but I saw it as funding someone who wouldn't be able to go otherwise going, rather than funding someone who was going either way going. It just feels dirty to be using Kickstarter to fund doing something you were going to do anyway. It would be much better to use the money to fund a scholarship program to get more girls to go to events like this, and if that's what they actually end up doing with the proceeds, great. I also feel people like Richard Garriot and Peter Molyneux using Kickstarter is missing the spirit of using Kickstarter, if not the letter.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mega Shark posted:

Again, how is this any different than two friends who have never made a game in their life asking for money to make a game?

It is different because it's OK to make fun of those two friends, whereas here you can't without being lumped in with reddit MRAs.

If it was two idiots making a game without any experience, they'd be laughed at repeatedly, without anyone coming to defend them. Instead, you have a ridiculously polarized and controversial (and therefore highly visible - the goal of the whole thing) kickstarter.

I'm not really perturbed by the thing itself (although I think it is engineered to be as exploitative as possible and is ethically ambiguous, at least), but rather the inability for people to see this as manipulative as hell. I think it's a lovely thing exploiting a more noble purpose.

ZombieApostate posted:

I think my biggest problem with it is that it could potentially take away money from other projects that might actually NEED it.

I don't think kickstarter is some zero-sum moneypit, all the cash she's making here is coming from the internet at large, not a fixed-size kickstarter community. Growing the number of people learning about kickstarter only puts more potential money in the pot, you can't have "bad" projects that "steal" money.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I know this one kickstarter isn't going to suck up all the available moneys from the entire internet, but if stuff like this becomes a trend, then it could become a problem. I doubt that's hugely likely which is why I'm not that concerned, but it's a possibility.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

Mega Shark posted:

There's something qualitatively different between a Kickstarter for the purpose of creating a product (even if the product is unlikely to actually get made) and one for the sole purpose of enabling someone to have an experience. Both can be lovely in many different ways, but they're not really comparable.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Sigma-X posted:

I don't think kickstarter is some zero-sum moneypit, all the cash she's making here is coming from the internet at large, not a fixed-size kickstarter community. Growing the number of people learning about kickstarter only puts more potential money in the pot, you can't have "bad" projects that "steal" money.

I'd say yes, and no. Yes, Kickstarter is not going to suck up the monies out of the internet, as ZombieApostate mentions above. And you won't necessarily have the same person backing a 3D printer as you would for someone backing a coffee table book, or an off-Broadway musical. Even within games, there are preferences and choices that influence what people will want to play, so backing a 3D fighting game is not necessarily going to mean you won't back a 4X space game.

However, all that being said, there is overlap within the audiences for games. For campaign creator pitching a game, any given prospective backer within your audience is more likely than not to have a limit on how much they will reasonably be able to pledge (not everyone can pledge $1,000+ even if the reward tier is loving awesome). And when that limit is reached, they don't have any money to spend on backing other projects. So to an extent, yes: a single 'bad' project CAN draw money away from other well-intentioned projects in that it reduces the overall pool of money available from that particular audience. In essence what you're saying is partially correct -- the cash IS actually coming from the kickstarter community rather than the internet at large (only a fraction of which use Kickstarter) but the point is that community size is not fixed. It's growing, which grows the overall pot, but at any given point of time the pot is still of a fixed size. Any funding to one project diverts the total available pool of money away from other projects, and with something like 50% of projects in the Games category being funded, that's not something to ignore. But even then, the risk is less about the project being 'bad' qualitatively and more about the project being a scam or unable to meet its goals: a truly 'bad' project is not going to be funded in the first place.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

It is different because it's OK to make fun of those two friends, whereas here you can't without being lumped in with reddit MRAs.
There's a difference between laughing at a thing for being stupid, and getting angry at a thing to the point you start making stupid accusations like "I doubt those are even her kids".

I'm also curious why people think it's giving the author too much credit to think she might be shielding her kids from the response? It's just possible the marketing entrepreneur is as internet savvy as a poster on the something awful forums, even if she is a lady who spends a lot on shoes.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Sigma-X posted:

And think of the children man, don't be nasty to the cute rich kids.

Mega Shark posted:

Because it would tank and not get funding if it there was no good pitch of a product and it was just "fund us to make a game to show the nasty person wrong". It has the air of marketing campaigns by large multinationals to make themselves look more ethical, like collect tokens from Tesco for school equipment or greenwashing. Then again, it could be just because of her profession. But if people fund it, oh well.

I think it gets around the TOS because you are technically funding the development of a game which you will receive. So in that way it is the same if you reduce it to that.

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 26, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

FreakyZoid posted:

I'm also curious why people think it's giving the author too much credit to think she might be shielding her kids from the response? It's just possible the marketing entrepreneur is as internet savvy as a poster on the something awful forums, even if she is a lady who spends a lot on shoes.

Occam's razor. If you're a parent does it make more sense that you would involve your kids in an incredibly exposed and high pressure, highly visible controversial fundraising campaign, and rely on "shielding them" as your strategy? Or would you just do it yourself, leave your kids out of it as much as possible, and go from there? That and the fact that it clearly hasn't worked, the kids are getting all sorts of responses ranging from creepy (at the little girl) to angry (at the sons) to douchy (at everyone).

-e- Additionally, if she was that internet savvy, she wouldn't need to shield her kids from a response, because there wouldn't be one in the first place. Additionally one would assume that if she isn't a fly-by-night type, the campaign shouldn't have an air of "artificiality" about it. It's much more believable that she tried to make it "hip" and failed.

By the way, Valerie Aurora from the Ada Initiative had this to say on the relevant topic of Adria Richards' firing:

Valerie Aurora posted:

If we truly believe that women and men should have the same chance to succeed in the computer industry, we have to take action now. It doesn't matter how many little girls learn to code if all they have to look forward to is brutal harassment.

I don't think it was intended to be a reference to the aforementioned kickstarter, but it's still applicable.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 26, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Mega Shark posted:

Two friends making a game aren't exploiting a 9 year old to do it. They aren't launching the kickstarter on anyone else's behalf. They also aren't, presumably, trying to capitalize on a very real class problem in the industry without any sincere attempt to rectify or address that problem. To me this is less about diminishing the integrity of the kickstarter model and all about manipulating the very sincere desires of people to solve class issues while taking advantage of people's ignorance of those same issues. It's like selling homeopathic cures.

Now, if she donates the extra money to a foundation or other charitable body, that's a different matter, but until yesterday she hadn't indicated anything of the sort and it wasn't part of the original pitch.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

FreakyZoid posted:

There's a difference between laughing at a thing for being stupid, and getting angry at a thing to the point you start making stupid accusations like "I doubt those are even her kids".

This is literally what I'm talking about - I'm not making stupid accusations like that, I don't think any significant majority of the detractors are making that kind of argument.

But with something as emotionally charged as this, though, there are some loonies making those sorts of claims, and now if you are a detractor, you're lumped in with them. It is impossible at this point to discuss the kickstarter rationally, because everyone just projects the worst of the other side on anyone they're arguing with.

She's won, in that she's accomplished her goal of making a controversial crowdfunding platform designed to get people to give her money in an effort to placate their desire for social change. I think she's exploited a very real issue to profit personally while accomplishing nothing towards improving that issue.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

A Sloth posted:

I think it gets around the TOS because you are technically funding the development of a game which you will receive. So in that way it is the same if you reduce it to that.

It's not the same even if you reduce it that way, because technically (legally) you aren't funding the development of the game. You are funding tuition to a camp. The game development itself is unfunded. For instance, if someone received an academic merit scholarship to that camp (hypothetical, I don't know if this camp offers that) there wouldn't be any development costs at all, from what I can tell about the program.

From the FAQ:

quote:

Everything on Kickstarter must be a project. A project has a clear goal, like making an album, a book, or a work of art. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced by it.

Kickstarter does not allow charity, cause, or "fund my life" projects. Check out our project guidelines for details.

This is very clearly a "fund my life" project packaged with the veneer of producing a game. But the actual project is to pay for the education necessary to produce the game, not for the game itself. The whole marketing thing about getting girls into gaming/coding/STEM is again, part of the education necessary to produce the game, not the game itself. From the campaign proper:

quote:

I'm raising $829 to cover the cost of attending this RPG STEM Camp for kids 9-12 years old for a week (it'll be my first overnight camping trip by myself and I can't wait):

Not "I'm raising $829 to produce a game." It explicitly says "I'm raising $829 to cover the cost of attending this RPG STEM Camp."

Project Guidelines posted:

Funding for projects only.
A project has a clear goal, like making an album, a book, or a work of art. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced by it. A project is not open-ended. Starting a business, for example, does not qualify as a project.

From the project's $10,000 level:

quote:

"At this level, you get everything from the previous levels plus a personal apology from her brothers and the satisfaction of knowing that you've not only started a career, you've also helped to fund future courses in computer programming for her along with more (and better) games!

This is an utterly invalid reward tier. Interestingly, the reward tiering elsewhere was very clever, in that since the designs of the T-shirts and swag have nothing to do directly with the project itself, they would be invalid without bundling in the digital copy of the game.

From the guidelines again:

quote:

Prohibited uses:
No charity or cause funding.
Examples of prohibited use include raising money for the Red Cross, funding an awareness campaign, funding a scholarship, or promoting the donation of funds raised, or future profits, to a charity or cause.

No "fund my life" projects.
Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.

Wilson posted:

But my Mom just told me about the Veronica Mars campaign so now I'm secretly hoping to raise more. My Mom said I can put any extra toward a laptop. I asked her if I raised even more than that, would she let me spend another week away at RPG camp. She said if I raised the money, she'd send me to RPG Camp all summer (which would be amazing because my friends at home are great but they're not really gamers like me so it'll awesome to hang out with hardcore gamers like me that are my age).

As if it weren't perfectly clear that the project is solely intended to pay for her to go to camp, not to produce a finished game. Not only does this project expressly cover paying tuition, the excess funds have been admitted to be directed towards....buying a new laptop. And paying for unidentified future open-ended educational goals.

So it's pretty obvious point that this isn't about producing a game at all. It's about going to camp, with only the loosest tie in to STEM issues. There are only two concept art images (if you can call them that) that she says are going to be in the game, that are the "hook" to STEM (that and the camp itself, but we've established already it is not allowable for that to be the project). Assuming RPG Maker can even do what she wants it to, her mom has now created a legally binding obligation to produce a game for backers with this STEM "art" in it, not to mention the other promises that it will have great graphics, etc. I seriously question whether it is possible to deliver on those promises, and I REALLY seriously question whether it is possible to meet her intended delivery date of July, given that she needs the camp to make the game, and the camp runs through the 26th of July (from the screenshot). So she has 1 week at camp, and 4 more days to make a game. That's less time than the SA Game Dev challenge. And if she fails, it creates a whole legal morass of her mother incurring obligations that can't be imposed on the daughter (due to both being a minor and privity of contract issues), meaning it's not entirely clear WHO is left holding the bag in the end.

The whole thing I find to be deceptive and misleading -- two things that are expressly forbidden by Kickstarter's TOU. In the past couple months I've seen a client (though not a client at the time) nearly lose his product design kickstarter, which exceeded its funding goal by over $20,000 with less than a week to go over a tiny little detail in how his rewards were allocated. Kickstarter jumped all over his poo poo about it, threatening to pull the campaign immmediately. And yet, egregious poo poo like this seemingly gets a pass (though I think that it's eventually going to get pulled as well).

And all of it could have been avoided if her mom simply decided to send her daughter to camp like a normal person, rather than grandstanding and making a deceptive kickstarter campaign that will throw her daughter into the public eye, and possibly leave a lasting impact on her online reputation. She is a 9 year old. That's just irresponsible.

-e- One last point to FreakyZoid, or whoever it was that suggested that this is maybe a life lesson by her mom. Would anyone else fund a 20 something that wanted to make a really cool game with tons of awesome ideas because game designers never make what I want to play; but they don't know how to code and their toolset decision is based on "my Mom and I looked around and it seemed to be the best option for a 9 year old20 something. But if anyone reading this knows something better, please let me know.[/quote] No? Then what life lesson is it teaching MacKenzie about what the games industry is actually like? How is that preparing her for being an adult? I don't mean going out on a limb and making a game, that's admirable but didn't require a kickstarter. I'm talking about the fact that she got $20,000 from over 1,000 people based on things that are "cute" when a 9-year old does them but won't fly as an adult. When she sees through the lens of a 9-year old's brain, the only lesson is that "people will give me money if I just ask for it" which isn't the case in the real world. I think that's doing her a disservice.

If her mom wanted her to get a lesson about gender equality and standing up against society's view of women in STEM, there are tons of worth organizations out there. If her mother wanted to teach entrepreneurship, she should have followed the rules rather than scamming people into donating based on unrelated societal change. All this has done I fear is give an impressionable 9-year old a wrong impression about how the world works.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 26, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Diplomaticus posted:

Not "I'm raising $829 to produce a game." It explicitly says "I'm raising $829 to cover the cost of attending this RPG STEM Camp."

Cover the cost of attending the camp to be able to produce the game is how I saw it to fit. That is how I saw it as getting around the 'fund my life' thing. True about the rest of the reward tiers though, and I can see how it is really just to fund a camp trip.

Since Susan Wilson has a couple social entrepreneurship projects, it just seems to be some marketing experiment, using her children, on top of that.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Havok's physics and AI libraries were always good, I wonder how a whole engine by them will shake out:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43640/GDC-13-Havok-unveils-free-3D-mobile-game-engine

Also I really want to know more about the license because that looks too good to be true.

edit: vvv: You're probably right... I have a large blind spot over the past few years for AAA engines that didn't target web/mobile! Last time I used anything Havok-related, it was just physics and AI.

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 26, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

devilmouse posted:

Havok's physics and AI libraries were always good, I wonder how a whole engine by them will shake out:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43640/GDC-13-Havok-unveils-free-3D-mobile-game-engine

Also I really want to know more about the license because that looks too good to be true.
Er, wait, hasn't Havok's vision/trinigy engine been around for years? I think all they're doing is announcing it can now target mobiles.

I can at least say that Trinigy/Vision was at the top of our list, back at LEGO. The tech looks very nice to work with. That + free would be hard to argue with. I suppose they're going with a rev share model akin to UDK.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Really good interview today, the project sounds cool enough I want to breach my NDA (I'm not going to) and I got the feeling I gave the right answers.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

devilmouse posted:

edit: vvv: You're probably right... I have a large blind spot over the past few years for AAA engines that didn't target web/mobile! Last time I used anything Havok-related, it was just physics and AI.
Yeah, Vision used to be Trinigy, which Havok bought a while ago. It's the engine that powered both of the Orcs Must Die! games. It has actually supported mobile for a while. It's going to be interesting to see how it goes as a free mobile engine, it seems like competing with Unity isn't exactly easy. I guess if it's really free, they do win on price compared to Unity for mobile (that still requires the $1,500 per seat option, right?).

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

Asok posted:

I just read over this thread and now I'm really excited about looking for work in the games industry!

I have a CPA, CA, and an MBA so I'm looking for a managerial and/or finance role.

I made a free game entirely in Microsoft Excel, largely because I wanted to use Excel for something that wasn't boring spreadsheets, but also to stand out as a job applicant in the games industry.
SA Thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539818
Free download is here: http://carywalkin.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/arena-xlsm-released/

I know this type of role is uncommon compared to the number of game designers, programmers, and artists in here. I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the best way to proceed. I was thinking that corporate recruiters are probably my best avenue.

Thanks!

You should send me a PM so we can exchange email addresses. If you can't PM here you can find me on reddit, I'm Tvacgamer there.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

The weird announcements keep coming!

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/03/27/mozilla-is-unlocking-the-power-of-the-web-as-a-platform-for-gaming/

Unreal Engine has been (is being?) ported to the web with Mozilla's help? And it's "just" javascript and webgl. Crazy!

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I wonder what that means to indie teams and companies with limited resources. Frictionless distribution and write-once-run-everywhere are pretty amazing proposals (kind of a holy grail actually) as far as I'm concerned, but I'm wondering what the downsides are. Is it pretty much performance, and that's it? Is this the next big thing and should people making games now start considering the web route? Anybody who's been following "games on Web" closely care to clarify a bit?

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 27, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

DreadCthulhu posted:

I wonder what that means to indie teams and companies with limited resources. Frictionless distribution and write-once-run-everywhere are pretty amazing proposals (kind of a holy grail actually) as far as I'm concerned
The thing is, we already have that. A billion times over.

Unity is effectively that already. Hell, so is UDK. The only "friction" in the porting process is reworking your UIs / performance profile / input systems / monetization approaches / etc to match the new market... and no amount of Javascript, no matter how cool, can magic any of that away. Unity (and bunches beyond) even already does web output, and doesn't even require the plugin to do it.

This looks like a product in desperate search of a market. At best, it looks like an evolution of HTML5 that they're desperately trying to brand as a new thing, instead of "yes, it's Javascript and Web GL, only we've optimized it - be excited this is totally not just an optimization!".

This will probably just become another output target for Unity, and UDK will grow a "web" attachment that uses it, and on we'll roll with more optimized web-platform gaming. Which is nice, I guess, but is in no way revolutionary.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 27, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I don't know if it's a Holiday in the US, but tomorrow is Good Friday so everyone is going to be shut. I'm waiting to hear back on the interview I had on Tuesday and I understand the guy I had it with is going to be away next week. I've had the offer from somewhere else I mentioned earlier, but would really like to see if I get one from this place too, and if I don't hear next week it may be too late. Should I do anything? I don't know if saying I have an offer elsewhere would lead to a quicker decision, and if it does, it might make that decision automatically a "no".

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

So I don't know if it's a Holiday in the US, but tomorrow is Good Friday so everyone is going to be shut. I'm waiting to hear back on the interview I had on Tuesday and I understand the guy I had it with is going to be away next week. I've had the offer from somewhere else I mentioned earlier, but would really like to see if I get one from this place too, and if I don't hear next week it may be too late. Should I do anything? I don't know if saying I have an offer elsewhere would lead to a quicker decision, and if it does, it might make that decision automatically a "no".

I think WB was the only place I've ever been at that had off for Good Friday. I'd more say you won't hear back from people due to trying to catch up with what they missed at GDC / filling in people on what they missed while they were at GDC.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just want to thank mastermind2004, MissMarple, Dinurth, and Freakyzoid for the insight on my post from last week before I was put on probation.

I know I'm more of the video producer, which is why I was unsure if there was of any need of folks with that skill set in game production or not outside of marketing.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Is it uhhh normal for a new employer to book you into a £500 a week fancybutt apartment for two weeks while you flat-hunt?

Glad I chose 4J :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

There is nothing wrong with contacting him and saying, "I have another offer on the table, I hate to rush anything but I am very interested in your company and am hoping you might be able to get back to me by <insert last day here>."

If you interviewed and did well then they absolutely would not automatically say "no" because you asked. It's hard enough to find good talent to just say "no" if they ask for something reasonable. If they say no, they would have said no anyways. If they say yes, then "congrats" you've just sped up the process.