Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Have you guys heard of this product called RealPlayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dakana posted:

Have you guys heard of this product called RealPlayer?

I hear RISC is the future.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

I only use .WMV due to compatibility issues with my Creative Zen Portable Media Center.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reichstag posted:

320x240 mpeg imo

http://xzzy.org/files/cats/showdown.mpg

This clip was recorded on to a floppy disc, like 10 years ago. Using a Sony Mavica from the late 90's. :black101:

Not sure what happened with that camera, I think it ended up in the dumpster during a move. It had so little value to us that it was worth more to get rid of it than hang on to.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

xzzy posted:

http://xzzy.org/files/cats/showdown.mpg

This clip was recorded on to a floppy disc, like 10 years ago. Using a Sony Mavica from the late 90's. :black101:

Not sure what happened with that camera, I think it ended up in the dumpster during a move. It had so little value to us that it was worth more to get rid of it than hang on to.

I stole it from you, that's what.

(Holy poo poo was my family excited when my dad brought this thing home)
I need to buy a usb floppy drive so I can use this thing again.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Reichstag posted:

I stole it from you, that's what.

(Holy poo poo was my family excited when my dad brought this thing home)
I need to buy a usb floppy drive so I can use this thing again.

We couldn't have a camera in the house because I kept getting caught shooting nudes.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

dakana posted:

All you need is 5mbps? I always set it to like 25.

I do 15-20 for archival purposes but YouTube is going to crunch it way the hell down anyway. If you're seeing artifacts then bump it up a bit, but for the most part between 5 and 10 should do you, especially if you're doing 2-pass VBR. I've done 3mbps CBR at 720p24 for web streaming and not seen any issues. I mean, I wouldn't project it onto a movie screen, but for that you're having a whole different conversation anyway (and it probably involves TIFFs).

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
YouTube caps at 8mbps iirc, anything above that and you're at the mercy of YouTubes re-encoding. Vimeo is a lot better but requires a pro subscription for 20mbps.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
What do you scrubs not have Super 8 projectors? (me neither but I keep thinking I should get one)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My sister shot some scenes at my other sister's wedding on super 8 this past summer.. cost a small fortune to get it digitized but the results were pretty darn amazing.

Old tech is best tech, right?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Reichstag posted:

I hear RISC is the future.

It is, though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Chill Callahan posted:

It is, though.

RISC is good.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Chill Callahan posted:

It is, though.

Yes, it is.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Reichstag posted:

RISC is good.

Well gently caress at least ONE person's as old as me.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Yeah ok Lord Nikon

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I thought you were playing on the RealMedia joke. But yeah, even x86 processors (I think as far back as the Pentium 4) translate their instructions to RISC-like instructions internally.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

What do you scrubs not have Super 8 projectors? (me neither but I keep thinking I should get one)

Who you callin' a scrub? I even got two Super8 cameras to shoot it with, bitch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All that kit and you couldn't scrounge up a body cover for the Pentax? Or some lens caps? C'mon man.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

xzzy posted:

All that kit and you couldn't scrounge up a body cover for the Pentax? Or some lens caps? C'mon man.

It was practically new-in-box but I'm letting it fill with dust in spite of Mr. Despair.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you really want to give him fits, fill it with instant snow and film the results.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

xzzy posted:

If you really want to give him fits, fill it with instant snow and film the results.

I love it when you talk dirty.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

woot fatigue posted:

I want to get a Super 8 camera and shoot weird silent movies.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

I want to get a Super 8 camera and shoot weird silent movies.

Next stop, Hollywood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMFZOu8rDUQ

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Next stop my backyard with a case of beers and some people who want to sit around and make up narration for what would undoubtedly be hours of me just kinda wandering around the supermarket.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

woot fatigue posted:

It was practically new-in-box but I'm letting it fill with dust in spite of Mr. Despair.

Better than letting it sit in some guys wet garage as it corrodes away. You're doing a good thing keeping it out of the rain.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

woot fatigue posted:

You may have a couple of toys that say "super 8 " on them, but I don't see any Beaulieus on that shelf. :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
You should like freeze a ME Super in a block of ice as a gift to future generations, like Capt America.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

McMadCow posted:

You may have a couple of toys that say "super 8 " on them, but I don't see any Beaulieus on that shelf. :colbert:

With my goal of having the ability to play back and record as many obsolete formats as possible, it's not economical to have the best of everything. Do you have a Sony DCM-M1? The only camera capable of recording video on MiniDiscs? I do, however I doubt you do as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chill Callahan posted:

It is, though.
You're arguing tech with reichstag.

woot fatigue posted:

Are those speakers actually any good? And if so what are they.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 26, 2013

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

woot fatigue posted:

With my goal of having the ability to play back and record as many obsolete formats as possible, it's not economical to have the best of everything. Do you have a Sony DCM-M1? The only camera capable of recording video on MiniDiscs? I do, however I doubt you do as well.

Lookit this scrub buying digital gear. :smug:

(my dad still has his Mavica FD88 floppy camera)

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Lookit this scrub buying digital gear. :smug:

(my dad still has his Mavica FD88 floppy camera)

You must be the coolest kid in the coffee shop, typing away stories about just how "real" your poo poo is on your portable vintage typewriter.

(My dad has one of these: )

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
My dad has a sliderule in his desk "just in case".

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

My step-grandfather used a slide rule nonstop in the army (the wrong one) in WW2, to the point where if you asked him any mathematical question, the answer would be "approximately ____". Even like "what's half of ten thousand?" "approximately 5000."

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

Whatever dude. Last week you told us your dad worked for Nintendo and brought home a preproduction Dolphin console that you got to beta test, but you're not allowed to show anybody or your dad would lose his job. Bullshit! I saw your dad two days ago while he was working at Walgreens!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

woot fatigue posted:

Whatever dude. Last week you told us your dad worked for Nintendo and brought home a preproduction Dolphin console that you got to beta test, but you're not allowed to show anybody or your dad would lose his job. Bullshit! I saw your dad two days ago while he was working at Walgreens!

A dude in my school in backwater-bullshit-small-town-BC routinely claimed his uncle had given him a copy of a Super Mario 4 game (for NES) but no we couldn't even see the manual or the cartridge because it would be illegal and he'd go to jail.

I half want to believe he was telling the truth the entire time, and not only did he get to play a bitchin' never-released Mario game, but that also Nintendo has spies everywhere and throws ten year olds in federal prison for breaking their uncles's NDA.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

A dude in my school in backwater-bullshit-small-town-BC routinely claimed his uncle had given him a copy of a Super Mario 4 game (for NES) but no we couldn't even see the manual or the cartridge because it would be illegal and he'd go to jail.

I half want to believe he was telling the truth the entire time, and not only did he get to play a bitchin' never-released Mario game, but that also Nintendo has spies everywhere and throws ten year olds in federal prison for breaking their uncles's NDA.

Ha! In reality his dad worked for Tiger Electronics. Nobody likes Tiger Electronics.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

woot fatigue posted:

You must be the coolest kid in the coffee shop, typing away stories about just how "real" your poo poo is on your portable vintage typewriter.

What kind of a sellout do you think I am? I make my own coffee at home in a French press from beans I grew and roasted myself. Going out to a coffee shop takes away the experience of really making coffee with your hands.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

McMadCow posted:

What kind of a sellout do you think I am? I make my own coffee at home in a French press from beans I grew and roasted myself. Going out to a coffee shop takes away the experience of really making coffee with your hands.

And getting better at it is nice too, as opposed to pictures you can taste the progress.
Actually you can taste it sometimes with photography, too.

Or: Ask me how you should never put used developer into PET bottles which you plan to dispose of later.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My mom has an old book from when she worked at the University which was literally the internet yellow pages. It's like 1cm thick and has a listing of every single website on the internet in like 1988 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Your mom is an old book.