Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayss
Jul 11, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm not even advancing the game at this point, now I'm just hunting G. Wroggi's over and over because I want a full Wroggi set because drat that hat is sharp. There is something evil about this game.

I know what you mean. I'm usually not a fan of grinding games, so I'm not sure where the special magic is in this one, but I've been poisoning bugs for the the last two hours so I can eventually be the prettiest bug princess in the land (And get that sweet Status skill to go with my bow's status shots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I've gotten S rank on that mission several times but all I get are tokens. What do I actually need to craft the event lance?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

CubsWoo posted:

When do quests for Rathians start showing up? I need 2 Rath Marrow to finish up that DLC quest lance but I'm not finding any quests for it offline at 3 star rank. Is it viable to do that Qurupeco quest and go after the Rathian he sometimes summons or should I just rank up to the point where the quests come naturally?

You'll probably run out of time trying to hunt it during the Qurupeco quest unless you've got overleveled gear, although you could just aim to cut the tail off as rath marrow can be carved from the tail.

Alternatively, Rathians are a four-star village key quest, and can be fought right away in the port as an HR1 quest (keep in mind she'll be tougher here if you don't have a group).

Bobnumerotres posted:

I've gotten S rank on that mission several times but all I get are tokens. What do I actually need to craft the event lance?

You must be doing the wrong quest. The event quest doesn't have rankings, it's a regular quest that happens to take place in the arena rather than an actual arena quest. It's guaranteed to give you at least one event voucher in the rewards, and never gives tokens (afaik).

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ayss posted:

I know what you mean. I'm usually not a fan of grinding games, so I'm not sure where the special magic is in this one, but I've been poisoning bugs for the the last two hours so I can eventually be the prettiest bug princess in the land (And get that sweet Status skill to go with my bow's status shots).

It's that at any point while fighting a monster you can have your face kicked into next week. Never really feels like grinding, at least until you hit that reward screen and GOD DAMMIT WHERE IS MY PLATE

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Pomp posted:

It's that at any point while fighting a monster you can have your face kicked into next week. Never really feels like grinding, at least until you hit that reward screen and GOD DAMMIT WHERE IS MY PLATE

Meanwhile I'm trying to get Lagi horns and keep getting plates from the 3 percent chance for breaking his horns over the sixty-four percent chance for getting horns from breaking his horns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, I'm seeing why people call Lance "easy mode".

Because you're safe from nearly everything if you just hold R.

Ayss posted:

Probably because the combat is actually involved and not based around mouse-clicks and dice rolls like everything else that's a huge grind.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Where is the option to turn off underwater Monster fights gently caress. :bang:

HR1 clearly doesn't have enough monsters that loving swim.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Popy posted:

Where is the option to turn off underwater Monster fights gently caress. :bang:

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd! :downs:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there a specific place you can gather Ice Crystals pre-Tundra? I have two, and I think I got them from the Flooded Forest, but I'm not sure where.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I seem to constantly be out of money. What should I be doing to have enough of it? Something I should cultivate?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Moldy Taxes posted:

Is there a specific place you can gather Ice Crystals pre-Tundra? I have two, and I think I got them from the Flooded Forest, but I'm not sure where.

I got a couple ice crystals while mining in the plains

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also can I just say trying to search monsterhunter.wikia.com on an ipad sucks loving dick? Te screen keyboard constantly retracts for some reason, and the only other computer in the house shares the tv with the wii u. :argh:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I seem to constantly be out of money. What should I be doing to have enough of it? Something I should cultivate?

Plant Nulberries all day every day. They sell for a good amount and only take 20 resources a cycle.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

Ciaphas posted:

Nulberries are the cash crop in this one, just make sure to maintain a decent amount of resource points to mass farm it

Edit: oh hey beaten to the punch.

Duramboros has so much hp. I'm so used to fighting that bastard on p3rd. I don't seem to recall him being able to tail smash in that one like he does constantly in mh3u.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Barioth is the most adorable cat when you break off both its wings, its face, cut off its tails, and completely exhaust it.

:3:.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

You must be doing the wrong quest. The event quest doesn't have rankings, it's a regular quest that happens to take place in the arena rather than an actual arena quest. It's guaranteed to give you at least one event voucher in the rewards, and never gives tokens (afaik).

You're totally right, had to do streaking with the bullfangos. Thought the format for event quests changed since Tri.

I made the lance and it should be renamed to the Durambos poo poo Wrecker. Thing was loving made for that boss, if he gets knocked over you can charge his humps (super weak spots) infinitely as long as you have stamina and it has super high fire damage.

I did every 5* quest in the SP and now it's just stuck. I need to make the totally worthless ancient mask don't I?

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Yes, once you make the ancient mask you get access to a few more hunts and another request, after that you will hunt Ceadeus, which will unlock high rank village quests.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
Something clicked in my brain one afternoon and it went from "oh, look, I can make a new armor now, pretty cool, maybe I'll go to the gym" to "honey! Order out tonight, I don't have time to help with supper, I'm trying to farm every armor set in this game and every weapon! I'll be a few years!" It's gotten scary addictive and I'm not sure why. I just really want to have a trunk of perfectly upgraded and organized armor sets.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

Also sell all your spare monster bits for cashbux. You don't need those 35 rathian scales. Just don't sell plates or horns or whatever the rare drops are.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

CountingCrows posted:

Something clicked in my brain one afternoon and it went from "oh, look, I can make a new armor now, pretty cool, maybe I'll go to the gym" to "honey! Order out tonight, I don't have time to help with supper, I'm trying to farm every armor set in this game and every weapon! I'll be a few years!" It's gotten scary addictive and I'm not sure why. I just really want to have a trunk of perfectly upgraded and organized armor sets.

You know, I'm thinking this might be the Monster Hunter game that KINDA catches on in the states. It's getting a lot more talk than any other US Monster Hunter release that's for sure.

I told my regular in-person gaming group about it and they were all on-board to try it. 4 copies later we're absolutely absorbed by this game, We'd play even more if we had access to online play.

That and every store around me was nearly sold out of stock, no one store had more than 2 copies on hand. Maybe we might get a timely Monster Hunter 4 translation since it's selling relatively well?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Jon93 posted:

You know, I'm thinking this might be the Monster Hunter game that KINDA catches on in the states. It's getting a lot more talk than any other US Monster Hunter release that's for sure.

I told my regular in-person gaming group about it and they were all on-board to try it. 4 copies later we're absolutely absorbed by this game, We'd play even more if we had access to online play.

That and every store around me was nearly sold out of stock, no one store had more than 2 copies on hand. Maybe we might get a timely Monster Hunter 4 translation since it's selling relatively well?

I'd be curious to see the sales numbers on mh3u, and I certainly wouldn't mind MH4 sometime before 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wow, half an hour into my first fight with that qurupeco thing, I'm all out of healing, fainted twice, down to a sliver of health, he's limping...

And a loving cat runs at me, steals a ration but more importantly knocks me out of my guard, getting me killed and ending the quest in failure.

Turning this game off for a while.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

I'd be curious to see the sales numbers on mh3u, and I certainly wouldn't mind MH4 sometime before 2015
Honestly, I think reducing the monster hp for early quests and giving access to all the base weapons from the start really helps. I played MH3 on the Wii, and even early on it felt like it took forever to kill a loving Jaggia. On the Wii it felt like it took me forever to get to the two-star quests and that's pretty much where I stopped, but on the 3DS it feels like it didn't take much time to get to the 3-star level.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, half an hour into my first fight with that qurupeco thing, I'm all out of healing, fainted twice, down to a sliver of health, he's limping...

And a loving cat runs at me, steals a ration but more importantly knocks me out of my guard, getting me killed and ending the quest in failure.

He's the first monster with hard points. When you hear a "knock" sound and bounce off you are hitting a part that is causing very little damage (A sharp weapon can ignore the bounce back but it will sitll do less damage then a weaker spot). Try hitting his balloon and rear end. Remember to keep your weapon sharp with whetstones too!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ciaphas posted:

I bought the game yesterday, having never played a Monster Hunter game before. I'm enjoying it quite a lot, then got up to the qurupeco fight. I fought for like 20 minutes, was probably just about to win, when suddenly a giant loving dragon thing appears out of nowhere and kills me :wtc:

Also I'm thinking of trying to get some friends to play with me, can 3DS and Wii U players play together?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

quiggy posted:

I bought the game yesterday, having never played a Monster Hunter game before. I'm enjoying it quite a lot, then got up to the qurupeco fight. I fought for like 20 minutes, was probably just about to win, when suddenly a giant loving dragon thing appears out of nowhere and kills me :wtc:

Also I'm thinking of trying to get some friends to play with me, can 3DS and Wii U players play together?

Yup! It's really fun to sit in a living room with 3 3DSes and a dude on the WiiU.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jon93 posted:

Yup! It's really fun to sit in a living room with 3 3DSes and a dude on the WiiU.

Awesome.

Also one other noob question: how do I check this charm table thing? I really don't care that much but I want to make sure I didn't roll one of the two that screws you over.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

quiggy posted:

a giant loving dragon thing appears out of nowhere and kills me :wtc:

You most likely will not be able to take out the dragon, even if you can skill wise you will likely not have a good enough weapon to do it fast enough to kill him AND peco. Ignore the Rathian.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

pixaal posted:

You most likely will not be able to take out the dragon, even if you can skill wise you will likely not have a good enough weapon to do it fast enough to kill him AND peco. Ignore the Rathian.

Make like a monkey and use the dung bombs they provide you when fighting Peco, too. Tossing one at either monster will make them zone prematurely, which makes dealing with them so much easier.

Good practice for later when Peco stops loving around with who he calls. :unsmigghh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Got three questions;
1: What's the point of killing big monsters in free hunt aside from resources. I killed a Lagicrus that scared the poo poo out of me (I saw a R. Ludroth on the forcast; it swam to 12 and after killing it and leaving Lagi just suddenly materialized in 11) and it didn't seem worth all the potions I burned just for 3 items. I know capturing gives you more rewards or something but how does that work in free hunt?

2: I made a really awesome switch axe and... shamefully just learned there's a x+a attack with them. Thing is it seems entirely pointless. My dude just does a wimpy thrust with the glowing sword and not really seeing why I would ever want to use it. (Then again I feel the same way about the giant swing as it's so slow and can't really combo)

3: Where's the felyne mask? A friend said I should get it for the true monster hunter experience but it hasn't cropped up in the requests yet and I'm nearing the end of the story (I think)

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Got three questions;
1: What's the point of killing big monsters in free hunt aside from resources. I killed a Lagicrus that scared the poo poo out of me (I saw a R. Ludroth on the forcast; it swam to 12 and after killing it and leaving Lagi just suddenly materialized in 11) and it didn't seem worth all the potions I burned just for 3 items. I know capturing gives you more rewards or something but how does that work in free hunt?

Resources, and getting items you can use in Rare Trades with the Argosy Captain.

quote:

2: I made a really awesome switch axe and... shamefully just learned there's a x+a attack with them. Thing is it seems entirely pointless. My dude just does a wimpy thrust with the glowing sword and not really seeing why I would ever want to use it. (Then again I feel the same way about the giant swing as it's so slow and can't really combo)

When you thrust forward with your X+A, mash an attack button. You'll dump damage in at the cost of phial, culminating in an explosion that deals great damage and puts you back into Axe mode.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Got three questions;

3: Where's the felyne mask? A friend said I should get it for the true monster hunter experience but it hasn't cropped up in the requests yet and I'm nearing the end of the story (I think)

1. You get good commodities for the "Rare Trade" with the argosy captain, which is really useful stuff like powercharms and later combo books.

2. You have to mash the X+A with sword to do the crazy phial burst which uses up your sword-power.

3. The "True Monster Hunter Experience" is having a felyne companion constantly throw bombs at you and send you flying. Felyne mask makes Cha-Cha go bomb-crazy.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You have to trade the Argosy captain a five-star commodity for it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Speaking of rare trades, what the hell is the big parashroom for? It's a two star trade but I can't find anything that lists it's use.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

WendigoJohnson posted:

Speaking of rare trades, what the hell is the big parashroom for? It's a two star trade but I can't find anything that lists it's use.

I'm pretty sure it's a decoration for your room in Moga Village.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You have to trade the Argosy captain a five-star commodity for it.

Oh huh; he only has a few things that are 5 star right now.

Though suppose it doesn't matter too much as I have no idea what gives 5 star stuff; the random Lagicrus I killed only gave me a 4 star one

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh huh; he only has a few things that are 5 star right now.

Though suppose it doesn't matter too much as I have no idea what gives 5 star stuff; the random Lagicrus I killed only gave me a 4 star one

He gets more stuff as you go on. Also, you won't be seeing five-star commodoties until a while into high rank village quests.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

People have already mentioned the use for the sword mode X+A attack (you can mash either button you don't actually have to mash both), but the big swing is useful because it combos into a rapid horizontal slash combo by mashing A after it. It uses up your stamina but is fast and hits pretty hard. The axe mode X+A is the fastest way to combo into it. Also if you are playing with a hunting horn player and they give you the infinite stamina buff you can do it forever.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Dear self: never bowgun underwater ever again.

EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

I could be wrong on this but my understanding is that rath marrow only comes from capture rewards or tail carves. Also, Rathian has a higher chance to drop it than Rathalos.

I'm probably super late replying to this, but whatever the case used to be, I got three rath marrow drops off a rathian kill yesterday.

• Locked thread