Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Kitfox88 posted:

It's one of the better Gundams in AGE so I mean at least they're grabbing the designs that can be saved I guess. :shobon:

I think they're just releasing all the main gundams, they announced age-3 and FX a while back. I'm not sure if they'll bother doing the two age-3 variants, but if we got DB then I guess its plausible that we could get those.

Edit - Everybody get hyped!

HG Messala!

If you look at that little picture on the right, it looks like the DB does have beam effect parts. They aren't over a metre long though so gently caress you Bandai.

RG GP-01 FB! I don't know why you'd buy the regular GP01 when you can buy this.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Red Bones posted:

RG GP-01 FB! I don't know why you'd buy the regular GP01 when you can buy this.

Yes yes yes, my first RG purchase! Now to make a nice Gerbera Tetra please

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

To hell with that, check this out:

http://rdplus.tumblr.com/post/45967945215/gundamdoublex

RD Double X! Finally, after all this time, X is getting some love!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Goon posted:

A Master Grade would be some real love. :colbert:

Also, Master Grade Crossbone X2 ver ka confirmed. Would post a picture, but does anyone even care?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Me! That's the black one with the lance right? Not got a Crossbone yet, and that's the one I want.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/03/mg-1100-xm-x2-crossbone-gundam-x2-ver.html

Here's a link for you then. Fair warning though, the Crossbone inner frame is pretty crap and to top it off, the comments are saying this will be an online exclusive, meaning you'll be paying way more than the kit is actually worth knowing Bandai.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

TaurusOxford posted:

the comments are saying this will be an online exclusive, meaning you'll be paying way more than the kit is actually worth knowing Bandai.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Help us Bluefin, you're our only hope :ohdear:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

The Goon posted:

Oh god ye-

quote:

Price: 5040 Yen
My wallet can't take something like that. :negative:

EDIT: What's the scale on RD figures, incidentally? As I understand they're pre-assembled, but if they're close enough to 1/144 I'd be willing to look past that just to have some cool models to pose.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 23, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
They don't really have a scale. I think they are all more or less in the 18-19cm range, which means something like Nu or Unicorn would be too small but V2 or F91 would be too large. I have RD TV Wing Zero and it's at least a head taller than the 1/144 model kit.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a real shame about the X-2. If I could grab it at 50 or 60 flat at some point down the road I will, but I'll just have to live without it. I just wish the RD Crossbones were better looking, and that the RD X-2 wasn't the X-2 Kai.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

TaurusOxford posted:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/03/mg-1100-xm-x2-crossbone-gundam-x2-ver.html

Here's a link for you then. Fair warning though, the Crossbone inner frame is pretty crap and to top it off, the comments are saying this will be an online exclusive, meaning you'll be paying way more than the kit is actually worth knowing Bandai.

m-m-maybe they'll take this opportunity to fix the inner frame?

Aww who am I kidding its just going to be an overpriced recolour.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Red Bones posted:

m-m-maybe they'll take this opportunity to fix the inner frame?

Aww who am I kidding its just going to be an overpriced recolour.

With a lance! :dance:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

TaurusOxford posted:

They don't really have a scale. I think they are all more or less in the 18-19cm range, which means something like Nu or Unicorn would be too small but V2 or F91 would be too large. I have RD TV Wing Zero and it's at least a head taller than the 1/144 model kit.

That's about right. The F91 and later designs are around the same size as the RD RX-78, but I should note that both the Nu and Sazabi are significantly larger than most RD releases, almost to scale with some earlier releases. I want to say the new Unicorn figures are also relatively large compared to their predecessors.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are the differences between the ova and ver ka sinanju? Which one is considered better? The ova is newer but the other one is a ver ka meaning it probably cant stand, has 100000 stickers, and will ultimately look better posed.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 24, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're both "ver Ka." in that they're designed by Katoki and they're functionally the same kit. The OVA version has the bazooka and different Sleeves markings. I think it might've altered the posability in the backpack boosters akin to the OVA Unicorn. Other than that, nothing, as far as I know.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I think OVA Sinanju also has a slightly more vibrant red in the plastic, but Muike stated all the major differences.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think it might have different hands too? Maybe the sonic welded ones like on the MG Nu Ka but I dunno about that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

muike posted:

I think it might have different hands too? Maybe the sonic welded ones like on the MG Nu Ka but I dunno about that.

I think it still has ver ka hands, so it doesn't even get the 3.0 treatment despite Sinanju Stein having them.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

The OVA version also uses the new soft PS formula rather than ABS. Apparently this is because ABS is susceptible to solvents in certain paints, so if you're going to paint the structural parts using some of the nastier paints I guess the new plastic is good.

Since Sinanju doesn't use polycaps this means the OVA version has PS to PS joints all around. No real data to back it up, but I doubt that's a good thing for how long joints last. If you look at the runners of newer kits with both ABS and the new PS, it's clear Bandai thinks ABS is more durable, laying them out to favor ABS to ABS joints and using polycaps where that's not possible. It's also telling that Nu 2.0, which is about the same size as the Sinanju, has the new PS frame too but opts to use polycaps for the major joints, and that for the delicate 3.0 hands they stuck with ABS.

I don't have the OVA version so I can't say for sure, maybe they adjusted the formula. Seems unlikely though that after 17 odd years of using ABS they suddenly found something better in all departments, and their design choices back that up.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sounds to me like grabbing the old version is the way to go unless you really need the different Sleeves markings or bazooka. It'd save you some money at least.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

Sounds to me like grabbing the old version is the way to go unless you really need the different Sleeves markings or bazooka. It'd save you some money at least.

I have the ova Verka and stein already because I hate money. I was was just wondering which to build. That's surprising the Verka and stein have differences though

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
So I'm putting the MG Nu ver.ka together and holy hell is it just large. the details in all the under armor components are well sculpted and I'm really loving how everything is coming together. My only gripe is that the dark blue shows cut/knife marks very easily so you may need to retouch those later. The LED unit from my Exia fits perfectly too and its a lovely piece. Ultimately I may end up wiring an LED into the cavity and hiding the wires down into the action base and hook it all up to 5v over USB.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gundam models confuse the crap out of me. The local anime store near me has maybe 2-3 Armored Core models in stock at a time and a literal LIBRARY of Gundam models, and they all look exactly the same. The more expensive ones are taller, but I can pick out ten ~$20 model kits off the wall and they're all 90% the same robot with different colors and maybe a bit of a difference in the armor panels. I compare to the AC models because these are all VASTLY different in appearance, and after getting a great one from MidJack I am trying to collect as many unique ones as I can.

I bought the Civilian Astray, and GN-X Gundam HG kits because they looked unique compared to typical Gundams. What am I missing here? 25 new posts about new kits being released but they all look so similar to the ones already stocked in my local store. Is it that I've never watched the show, so I have no emotional connection to the "pilots" in the robots? I really like building complex model kits and I don't mean to come off as rude; I'm just new to the 'scene' and the Gundam stuff really has me scratching my head.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 25, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I dunno, maybe you just have to like Gundam or be familiar with it. It's pretty easy for me to pick different designs out from each other and such, but I've been following Gundam for a pretty long time at this point. The main character Gundams do tend to be pretty similar, yeah, but maybe you should try looking at some of the grunts and bad guy kits. It's hard to say a Rick Dias looks like a Gelgoog.

Be like me, buy VOTOMS Scopedogs and Fatties.

muike fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 25, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For the record, not everything in Gundam is actually a Gundam. It can look like a Gundam or be made of Gundarium and even have power on par with a Gundam, but unless Bandai has "Gundam" specifically in the mobile suit's name, it's not Gundam. Lead character suits generally look same-ish because after 35 years it's gotten pretty traditional that the main Gundam has to have blue as the primary color.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The biggest recurring theme you'll see in the various Gundam models are the Gundam head - white face, dark-colored mask around the eyes, v-fin on the forehead, vaguely samurai-looking helmet, and red goatee. As noted above, the protagonist suit in any series almost always bears a similar color scheme to the original RX-78-2:

If you watch enough of them you'll start to pick out the differences but from the outside they do all look very similar (Turn A and G notwithstanding).

The other distinctive recurring design theme is the mono-eye, as modeled by the Zaku II, another iconic suit from the original series. The mono-eye is the pink dot in the visor:

Individual series usually have a distinctive look to their suits but that's not obvious from the outside. The Astray and GN-X (especially) are both kind of outliers on the Gundam spectrum.

Ultimately, build what looks interesting. Check in here or on other forums to see if there's a known problem with a kit before throwing down the cash, but otherwise, grab what grabs you. :cheers:

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
If you want to build the more complex gunpla kits definitely look at master grade, real grade, and perfect grade depending on how much you want to spend since they have the most details. I personally don't build any actual Gundams at all and stick to grunts and suits from the Universal Century, which I think tends to have more suits that look more like military machines (except you zakrello you ugly gently caress). In my opinion Zeon has more striking suits with things like the Kampfer, Geara Zulu, Sinanju, and a ton of other suits that aren't Zaku clones (though I love Zakus). Late UC EFSF suits like the Jesta are also really cool.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The general idea is that suits from Universal Century tend to look less outrageous. (Hi Full Armor Unicorn...)

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
As outrageous as the FA Unicorn is at least it's no Wing Gundam Zero EW.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ACanofPepsi posted:

25 new posts about new kits being released but they all look so similar to the ones already stocked in my local store.

I used to be just like this before I watched Gundam and while I was just starting out. Distinguishing between various mobile suits is just something that comes naturally over time, you start out hardly able to tell what the difference between a Zaku and a GINN is but eventually you can recognise a lot of MSes just by seeing the head or silhouette.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
While this isn't explicitly Gunpla, it does have to do with a gunpla site, GundamGuy.Blogspot.com

They are currently running a contest to color/edit/work lineart for the Stein, Jesta Cannon and the AGE-1 Gransa. Of course there are prizes and such, but I wanted to see how traditional I could take the Jesta.. So I present to you.. Judau's Jesta Cannon!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I accidentally dropped my RG Zeta and it basically exploded. While putting it back together, I noticed the left arm straight up snapped off. :negative:

So how does one go about repairing these things without messing up the articulation? Super glue?

EDIT: The moral of the story is to not try and balance other models on a transformed ZZ.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 30, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I accidentally dropped my RG Zeta and it basically exploded. While putting it back together, I noticed the left arm straight up snapped off. :negative:

So how does one go about repairing these things without messing up the articulation? Super glue?

EDIT: The moral of the story is to not try and balance other models on a transformed ZZ.

Dissasemble the broken parts, superglue whatever has snapped and try to reassemble everything. Although for something small and complex like a RG, I say your arm is gonna be hosed regardless.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Drill out the damaged pin and replace it with a piece of brass rod that's exactly the same size or slightly larger.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Has anyone here put together any of the Bandai 1/20th VOTOMS kits? I was wondering if there were any tips for this silly bolt business before I start on it.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Over the course of the last day I put together a RG Zeta that I got for Christmas. I am really glad I did not decide to paint this kit, as I imagine it would be a nightmare. There's nothing I am really very fond of regarding it. It is the first RG kit I've put together and while all the detail is really nice, the gimmicks about it seem to really detract from it. Parts are falling off constantly, the RG hands are worthless and can't support the beam rifle and barely hold the beam saber, the transformation is something I don't want to attempt because I just don't want to deal with more parts falling off from me just looking at the kit, and I think because of the transformation the kit feels incredibly flimsy and fragile, and I am really worried about trying to pose the thing lest something snap off since I can't really gauge which parts of the frame are able to move in which direction.

I am still interested in how RG kits are going to progress, especially ones that aren't transformable, and still might pick up one (or both) of the GP01's coming out, but with a lot of hesitation. Unfortunately the Zeta soured me a bit on the RG line as a whole and I don't see myself deviating from HG and MG kits much in the future.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Faltion posted:

Over the course of the last day I put together a RG Zeta that I got for Christmas. I am really glad I did not decide to paint this kit, as I imagine it would be a nightmare. There's nothing I am really very fond of regarding it. It is the first RG kit I've put together and while all the detail is really nice, the gimmicks about it seem to really detract from it. Parts are falling off constantly, the RG hands are worthless and can't support the beam rifle and barely hold the beam saber, the transformation is something I don't want to attempt because I just don't want to deal with more parts falling off from me just looking at the kit, and I think because of the transformation the kit feels incredibly flimsy and fragile, and I am really worried about trying to pose the thing lest something snap off since I can't really gauge which parts of the frame are able to move in which direction.

I am still interested in how RG kits are going to progress, especially ones that aren't transformable, and still might pick up one (or both) of the GP01's coming out, but with a lot of hesitation. Unfortunately the Zeta soured me a bit on the RG line as a whole and I don't see myself deviating from HG and MG kits much in the future.

The other RG kits aren't nearly as fragile as RG Zeta. Hell, I remember when the RG Mk II was announced we had some speculation on if Zeta would be made, and some people mocked the idea simply because it would be a laughably flimsy and fragile kit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Although for something small and complex like a RG, I say your arm is gonna be hosed regardless.

You called it. I've given up entirely (just transformed what was left of it and sat it aside), and am probably going to have to get a new Zeta. I know the MG was apparently poo poo, and I'm really soured on the RG (though getting a new one might be worth it just to dual-wield beam rifles), so I guess that leaves me with the HG. Does anyone have any comments on that?

Faltion posted:

Over the course of the last day I put together a RG Zeta that I got for Christmas. I am really glad I did not decide to paint this kit, as I imagine it would be a nightmare. There's nothing I am really very fond of regarding it. It is the first RG kit I've put together and while all the detail is really nice, the gimmicks about it seem to really detract from it.

I have exactly the same opinion as you. And having transformed the thing twice, let me assure you that you made the right decision. The legs are only barely attached to the torso (and in a really dumb way that makes putting them back on when they inevitably fall off incredibly frustrating), moving the stabilizers in the way the instructions say is drat near impossible, and the arms will not cooperate. I think it was actually a good thing that both of them ended up snapping off on mine; it made the transformation much more smooth.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 1, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought the zeta 2.0 kit was fine, god help you if you paint it and try and to transform, and the v-fin was finicky, but I can't really say I have a lot of complaints against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

You called it. I've given up entirely (just transformed what was left of it and sat it aside), and am probably going to have to get a new Zeta. I know the MG was apparently poo poo, and I'm really soured on the RG (though getting a new one might be worth it just to dual-wield beam rifles), so I guess that leaves me with the HG. Does anyone have any comments on that?

I had a HG Zeta. It was a solid kit being a partsformer and all. Regarding MG Zeta though, I thought the 2.0 was supposed to be good?

• Locked thread