Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

In the rulebook it states "Jet Pack units can move as normal models of their type or activate their jet packs" so I guess it's a case of they move like cavalry but jump over terrain and intervening models and then get to use the Thrust Move rule in the Assault phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fuegan posted:

In the rulebook it states "Jet Pack units can move as normal models of their type or activate their jet packs" so I guess it's a case of they move like cavalry but jump over terrain and intervening models and then get to use the Thrust Move rule in the Assault phase.

Jetbikes and Jet Packs aren't the same thing.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Fix posted:

Yeah. I've got a thought.

Where the gently caress have you been? :wink:
Busy with school, busy with work, knocked on my rear end by the flu -> bronchitis for a spell, busy doing manly man outdoors stuff. Not much time for painting space barbies or talking about them on the internet.

Recently have been able to get back into minis by playing LoTR skirmishes of all things-- I've got me a mean all-pewter hobbit collection. :v My group has finally started to come back around to 40k now that crushing hobbits with mumakil is losing its novelty. 6th edition is starting to grow on me, and building some new terrain is a good way to ease back into painting.

Still can't decide on 1.5" or 2" sidewalks.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Jetbikes and Jet Packs aren't the same thing.

I know? I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Hah I see what has happened here.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 25, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fuegan posted:

I know? I'm not sure where you're going with this.

You sounded like you were answering the question of "how do jetbike cavalry work?" with stuff about jet packs. If you weren't then my bad.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Sorry it is Jet Pack Cavalry, I mistyped.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

PierreTheMime posted:

Sorry it is Jet Pack Cavalry, I mistyped.

Well that makes much more sense.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PierreTheMime posted:

This is seriously some good work. I'm curious how you attached the tentacles--could we get a shot of the undercarriage?
It looks like they're attached to where the legs/feet would be on the standard Heldrake. I'm in the middle of painting my Heldrake and Maulerfiend so I can see where the bits would go.

The Helsquid is definitely something I want to try when I expand my Chaos flyers, although I might use Green Stuff in one of the tentacle creator things (there are a couple different sets that allow you to make rope/cables/tentacles, etc. from strings of Green Stuff)

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

To follow up a little more, it states in the Jump and Jet Pack Units sections that "Jump" and "Jet Pack" aren't classifications in and of themselves so the usual one is obviously Jet Pack Infantry which you find in Tau on Crisis Suits and such. Since they're Infantry, they move 6" in the Movement phase (and ignore terrain as they jet pack over it) and then have the option of moving 2D6" in the Assault phase. The difference here is purely that Plague Drones can move 12" in the Movement phase due to being Cavalry. It essentially makes them Eldar Jetbikes that can't Turbo-boost but instead get Fleet (since Cavalry get it). I hope that makes sense.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Tadhg posted:

I'd go with the 1.5. A few reasons:
- more room for stuff that's more interesting than sidewalks.
- walking two abreast doesn't happen that often in actiony situations, more of single file wall hugging.
- the scale is an abstraction anyway, see vehicles or guardsmen vs. space marines.
- most sidewalks around here can only hold two abreast if those folks are mighty comfortable with each other.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Asphyxious posted:

- walking two abreast doesn't happen that often in actiony situations, more of single file wall hugging.
- the scale is an abstraction anyway, see vehicles or guardsmen vs. space marines.
- most sidewalks around here can only hold two abreast if those folks are mighty comfortable with each other.

I agree, 1.5 is the way to go.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Asphyxious posted:

Good reasoning. 1.5" it is.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, 1.5 is about six feet width to scale. You shouldn't need more than that to get the point across.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tadhg posted:

Busy with school, busy with work, knocked on my rear end by the flu -> bronchitis for a spell, busy doing manly man outdoors stuff. Not much time for painting space barbies or talking about them on the internet.

Recently have been able to get back into minis by playing LoTR skirmishes of all things-- I've got me a mean all-pewter hobbit collection. :v My group has finally started to come back around to 40k now that crushing hobbits with mumakil is losing its novelty. 6th edition is starting to grow on me, and building some new terrain is a good way to ease back into painting.

Busy not working on my 30 boyz! How dare you show your face around here with my orks. (But really it's good to have you back).

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

It looks like they're attached to where the legs/feet would be on the standard Heldrake. I'm in the middle of painting my Heldrake and Maulerfiend so I can see where the bits would go.

The Helsquid is definitely something I want to try when I expand my Chaos flyers, although I might use Green Stuff in one of the tentacle creator things (there are a couple different sets that allow you to make rope/cables/tentacles, etc. from strings of Green Stuff)

Yeah there's sockets where the feet normally go on the heldrake, and the maulerfiend tendrils have a ball end, so it was a pretty easy fit... same with the fins on the back.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Indolent Bastard posted:

Busy not working on my 30 boyz! How dare you show your face around here with my orks. (But really it's good to have you back).

Yep, I have yours to get out along with whoever the winner of this year's prize is going to be.

I think I still have to send Fix some special plasticard for his dildo bowl, too... I dropped the ball on remailing that.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Tadhg posted:

Yep, I have yours to get out along with whoever the winner of this year's prize is going to be.

I think I still have to send Fix some special plasticard for his dildo bowl, too... I dropped the ball on remailing that.

Welcome back! You've still got 2 hours to post an oath, and it better be a big 'un!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Welcome back! You've still got 2 hours to post an oath, and it better be a big 'un!

It's tempting-- I have a couple hundred each of night goblins, skinks, and grots that I could paint up super fast and save myself from a pizza hat fate.

But there's a part of me that *wants* to be part of the cool kids pizza hat club. Plus, I don't actually have much free time this week for batch painting, so I may as well bow out gracefully.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tadhg posted:

I'll have you know the dildo bowl was a smashing success, even without your fancy schmancy plasticard (which wasn't for that anyway, but I'm glad that it didn't just get lost in the mail. I still have your griffon platform)!

:colbert:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Fuegan posted:

It essentially makes them Eldar Jetbikes that can't Turbo-boost but instead get Fleet (since Cavalry get it).

Plague Drones have Slow & Purposeful due to being Daemons of Nurgle, which means they can't run. Which is odd, but they still get a reroll on charge moves due to Fleet I guess, so it's not a total crapshoot.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fuegan posted:

Quick picture but you get the idea in terms of scale. A really nice kit to put together as well.

I saw these in the local GW the other day - and when painted up - man they look incredible. This is really a neat kit.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Fix posted:

I'll have you know the dildo bowl was a smashing success, even without your fancy schmancy plasticard (which wasn't for that anyway, but I'm glad that it didn't just get lost in the mail. I still have your griffon platform)!

:colbert:

I don't think I want to come to your parties if they involve smashing with dildos, but the bowl portal thing looked pretty cool in the test video you showed me.

And I forgot all about the griffon platform-- that'll be a nice addition to my Mordian platoon. Let's see if I can get your plasticard out to you this week and not forget about it like some rear end in a top hat again.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Anyone else notice that it cheaper to buy GW models from Forgeworld than it is to buy the exact same kit from GW? A Tau Piranha or Hammerhead is about $2.50 cheaper on Forgeworld than the exact same kit is at GW. And a Fex is almost $4 cheaper.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Anyone else notice that it cheaper to buy GW models from Forgeworld than it is to buy the exact same kit from GW? A Tau Piranha or Hammerhead is about $2.50 cheaper on Forgeworld than the exact same kit is at GW. And a Fex is almost $4 cheaper.

I think dreadnoughts from FW come to about the same as buying from GW as well.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm sure the thread is tired of seeing my Kriegsmen being mangled by my lovely cell-phone camera, but I'm just going to keep posting them until people threaten me with physical violence (or probations!).

My counts-as Marbo. I posted him earlier in the thread in all his horrid grey plasticyness. Here he is all finished.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
That's looking sweet!

But drat the regular bolt pistol is huge compared to the more realistically proportioned Kriegsmen.
Regardless, I'd say that a pistol the size of two thirds of his torso certainly can pass for a... Ripper Pistol is it? Well whatever unique gun it is Marbo has.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Bolt weapons should be huge, there's tons of fluff about how unaugmented humans can't lift standard bolters etc.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Lungboy posted:

Bolt weapons should be huge, there's tons of fluff about how unaugmented humans can't lift standard bolters etc.

There are guard version (see any Gaunt's Ghost novel).

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
new tau pics here
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19399&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=420

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress that broadside looks rad. Really hoping the new dex has some way of fielding an all battlesuit army.

I want stealth suit troops backed up by XV8s/88s and some big stomping Riptides and Hazards! :dance:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

My body is ready. I'm in love with both the flyer and the riptide.
No new Shadowsun model from what I can see, which is a bit weird seeing how they just released a book about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug0aw5gRPkw
The announcement video is up.

Wait. It's not unlisted. They're learning! :stare:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Something makes it look like he's about to jam an awesome riff on his guitar.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Upgrading a Flamer to a Pyrocaster gives it BS5, but as it only has a Template weapon this seems to be mostly a waste, unless they get one of those questionable Daemonic Gifts weapons. Is there a decent use for BS5?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Manifest posted:

Something makes it look like he's about to jam an awesome riff on his guitar.
Which is awesome. :colbert:

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

AgentF posted:

Upgrading a Flamer to a Pyrocaster gives it BS5, but as it only has a Template weapon this seems to be mostly a waste, unless they get one of those questionable Daemonic Gifts weapons. Is there a decent use for BS5?

Manning a quad gun?

Two regular flamers and a pyrocaster is 74 points, BS5, 6 wounds with T4 and a bunch of wall of deaths if they get charged. Seems a bit silly for them though, since they are essentially flaming, bouncing socks with arms.

Probably next best is bloodletters, 90 points for the BS5, 10 wounds at T3.

Heralds can get you the BS5 for cheaper but are too flimsy without a squad.

Yeah, that's all I got.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 26, 2013

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AgentF posted:

The shooting attacks on the daemonic gifts are pretty decent (S8, low AP), but the odds of getting them are slim. Plus you will probably end up with the flamer template gift, making it worthless anyways.

Plus, like some of the other "useless" upgrades that are there for fluff reasons, it makes nerds on the internet freak out. :)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Groetgaffel posted:

Which is awesome. :colbert:

Hell yes it is.
Imagine the cool conversion.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Counts as Slaanesh obliterators. :swoon:

Edit: except for the whole Tau being chaos resistant thing. :sigh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, a complete FW Falcon mk II including shipping is $20 cheaper than a GW Falcon with free shipping in Aus. Sticking with ebay and FW (and my suitcase on holiday) for all my vehicle needs as I build my army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Groetgaffel posted:

That's looking sweet!

But drat the regular bolt pistol is huge compared to the more realistically proportioned Kriegsmen.
Regardless, I'd say that a pistol the size of two thirds of his torso certainly can pass for a... Ripper Pistol is it? Well whatever unique gun it is Marbo has.

Thanks! The boltpistol looks unique and is noticeable, which is what I was going for. Marbo being Marbo, I didn't mind him being the only model in my army deviating from the sombre semi-realistic look of the rest of the krieg models, by giving him a small hand-cannon and strapping explosives to him on every free square inch of his body :black101:

Also, regarding the Tau, I've really warmed up toward them. When I got bacl to 40k, I was all grognardy about them, "They weren't there when I played back in the 90's!" :reject: Now I really like them (though not enough that i'd ever consider getting an army of them).

• Locked thread