Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

dogstile posted:

If you want a pretty easy tactic that lasts me entire games, get a unit of katana samurai, a general that can use stand and fight, a bunch of ashigaru spearmen and bowmen. You use the spearmen to form your line, the bowmen behind them will soften up any enemies and use the katana samurai to cut across the line from the far right/left.

What should happen in a normal battle is that your guys should hold hold the line and any unit that isn't fighting once the katana guys pass them can be used to run back and reinforce further down the line or help the katana guys flank. Its a simple tactic and I took out a full stack of samurai using just ashigaru and two katana samurai with it.

Thanks, but it's lack of experience more than anything else. Knowing what I can expect from the battle AI, expected outcomes of unit vs unit match ups and just adjusting to how fast units move would make a huge difference to my play. I'm playing like I played Rome, Empire, even the original Shogun, which is to say lots of missile troops edging close enough to do their thing and nuke the enemy while the enemy patiently dies. It's not effective in Shogun 2, and I'm especially bad at it because I've just come from Empire.

I want to break the habit of thinking of my infantry as a line who are only there to keep death away from the archers and mop up. I think archers are support in S2, either by absorbing and neutralising the enemy missiles, or by reducing a melee threat to your infantry, or to weaken specific units to make them easier to break in the melee and get your chain rout started. Just letting archers fire at will into whatever trash charges first is a huge waste. It's funny because I should know this from the multiplayer battle commentaries I used to watch.

In other news the Otomo campaign is hard. I'm probably not experienced enough to play legendary but I'm trying anyhow. I probably would've been fine if the two enemies you start at war with attacked separately, but they joined up their almost full stacks and besieged my piss poor army and overwhelmed me by sheer numbers. Something like a 4:1 advantage their way. Matchlock ashigarus on siege defence though. :stare:

Fake edit: I just learned ships in Shogun 2 can break the golden arrow crossing to Kyushu.

Real edit: Military access firesales. :bravo:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Is Fall of the Samurai worth the $6 if I'm feeling a little burnt out on the Japan setting? I really should finish a game of Rise first since I've already paid for it but :effort:

I actually find it to be much more fun. Stuff like Calvary becomes useful as the enemy armies aren't entirely made up of spear units and you just have more to manage in a battle if you want to.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tommofork posted:

Thanks, but it's lack of experience more than anything else. Knowing what I can expect from the battle AI, expected outcomes of unit vs unit match ups and just adjusting to how fast units move would make a huge difference to my play. I'm playing like I played Rome, Empire, even the original Shogun, which is to say lots of missile troops edging close enough to do their thing and nuke the enemy while the enemy patiently dies. It's not effective in Shogun 2, and I'm especially bad at it because I've just come from Empire.

I want to break the habit of thinking of my infantry as a line who are only there to keep death away from the archers and mop up. I think archers are support in S2, either by absorbing and neutralising the enemy missiles, or by reducing a melee threat to your infantry, or to weaken specific units to make them easier to break in the melee and get your chain rout started. Just letting archers fire at will into whatever trash charges first is a huge waste. It's funny because I should know this from the multiplayer battle commentaries I used to watch.

In other news the Otomo campaign is hard. I'm probably not experienced enough to play legendary but I'm trying anyhow. I probably would've been fine if the two enemies you start at war with attacked separately, but they joined up their almost full stacks and besieged my piss poor army and overwhelmed me by sheer numbers. Something like a 4:1 advantage their way. Matchlock ashigarus on siege defence though. :stare:

Fake edit: I just learned ships in Shogun 2 can break the golden arrow crossing to Kyushu.

Real edit: Military access firesales. :bravo:

Whoah they can? The things you learn about this game even after a hundred hours...

And archers can totally do that, by the way, you just need to mass them enough. Get like 8 bow warrior monks with gold accuracy and nothing will be able to touch your army ever again.

And for the Otomo campaign (and all Kyushu campaigns really) the start is incredibly difficult but once you take Kyushu its a cakewalk. Hang in there. And tercos are incredibly good; use your gunpowder. Recruit them all from the northeast province on Kyushu (Buzen?), the fletcher's improves gunpowder units too. Gold accuracy matchlock ashigaru are basically invulnerable in sieges.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 25, 2013

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Wait, do you just click on it with a navy selected? I thought that was possible (the little circle in the middle implies it) but it didn't seem to work at first glance. Ended up just taking Nagato so they hosed around pillaging that and not Kyushu while I formed up.

One thing I found in the Satsuma campaign is the faster you can get a head start on Kyushu the better. My first campaign I dragged it out and ended up getting into like 5 wars because the main land grew and grew and they ran out of other opponents while I stagnated, the second time I shot up the eastern coast as fast as my army could handle. Those extra provinces early help tremendously. Then again I'm not playing legendary so that's probably not as simple as it sounds.

Also, apparently whe you train one of the elite infantry in a town with a gunsmith and firing range, then put him in an army with a 5 star foreign vet, you get a rifle unit that can kill (not rout, kill) a sabre cav unit in full charge before it can reach them :getin:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 25, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Man, this learning curve :negative:

I opened up babby's first TW game (Shogun 2) and I can't really figure out what to do. I even sat through all the tutorial videos, and tried to do the tutorial battles (but the artillery trebuchet part is bugged?)

I'm about 10 turns in, and I feel like a hundred things are happening. I'm not at war with anyone, and I feel like I'm not really doing anything :geno:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I'm about 10 turns in, and I feel like a hundred things are happening. I'm not at war with anyone, and I feel like I'm not really doing anything :geno:

What clan are you playing? The chosokabe are a good clan to get the hang of the game with. They're on an island which should give you some protection early on.

You can afford to do nothing for a bit at the mid or the end of the game but you definitely don't want to be be sitting around at the start. 10 turns in you should probably take at least two other cities depending on who you start as.

On the first turn wipe out the rebel army near you and try to take as few casualties as you can doing it because another clan should be coming for you early on. I think all clans start at war with at least one other clan. So wherever you already see red borders at the start you should be expecting an attack from that direction. Take out their army either on the way to your capital or at your capital in a defensive siege.

But first if you're completely new to total war games you should probably practice fighting with some custom battles before you start the campaign. Learning how to fight with the campaign wont give you the whole picture. You won't be able to research all the units in the campaign since by the time you're able to research everything the game will be over.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I chose whatever clan it listed as 'easiest'. I started in Miyagi and Iwate. I've just been sort of building things with no idea what I'm doing. Didn't start at war with anyone. The Soma were just south of me, and they were destroyed within 10 turns by my allies to the north.

Sounds like a good idea to load up some skirmishes and quick battles, to get a better feel of combat outside of tutorials. At this point I wouldn't even know which units to build to take into battle.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

canyoneer posted:

I chose whatever clan it listed as 'easiest'. I started in Miyagi and Iwate. I've just been sort of building things with no idea what I'm doing. Didn't start at war with anyone. The Soma were just south of me, and they were destroyed within 10 turns by my allies to the north.

Sounds like a good idea to load up some skirmishes and quick battles, to get a better feel of combat outside of tutorials. At this point I wouldn't even know which units to build to take into battle.
For land battles, yari ashigaru usually make up the bulk of your forces. Spears kill horses, swords murder infantry more effectively, bows are there to shoot people before they get close but get destroyed by anyone that puts them in melee (cavalry are your best option). But you basically a battle boils down to you typically exchanging arrows at one another to start, then smashing your front lines together, let them work it out and you need to try to break them through flanking or other maneuvers to turn the tide and rout the enemy. Or if you can, you can simply overpower your enemy, but that takes longer.

A larger army is typically better because you can either have a wider line to engulf/flank the enemy upon contact, or you can have a deeper one, being able to send troops up to reinforce weak spots. Hammer and anvil is all the basics you really need and anything else is usually a variation of that.

Not sure but I remember them saying that Sun Tzu's teachings would apply to the game, but it may just be more relevant to the strategy layer than the tactical (battle) layer.

edit: read this post http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/14398-Dalkar-s-Guide-to-Units-and-Tactics as it doesn't seem to go too in depth about the units and probably easier to understand the basics of how you fight TW battles and give you hints at how to structure an army.

Sober fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 25, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

canyoneer posted:

Wait, Soma? You're playing RotS rather than vanilla? Well I guess turning on your ally and taking the entire eastern end of honshu is out of the picture since your ally is actually your sister clan.

RotS is slightly different from most TW campaigns; I would really say you should start over with the Sengoku Jidai one, but if you want to stick with it... well you have a smith in one of your home provinces; work on upgrading that. Make an army with the better weapons/armour it gives you, and attack something. You're probably hemmed in by your sister clan, but you should have military access so you can just walk right through their land (don't declare war on your sister clan) and start attacking the minamoto holdings around the Tokyo Bay area.

Hiraizumi Fujiwara may be easy in that you're unlikely to lose with them, but they're really not a clan I would recommend to beginners (and I wouldn't recommend RotS as your first campaign either); even if you don't get hemmed in, all your provinces are massive, so trekking your armies to enemy territory is a nightmare. Start a vanilla campaign and play as the Chosokabe, as other people have said, they're the easiest to get to grips with. With them you can seize Shikoku relatively quickly and not have to worry about expanding again for a while; and when you do you'll have plenty of breathing room.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 25, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Shogun wants me to take a province from my Chosokabe bros because "they're getting too powerful" :ohdear:

I don't want to break the earliest (and best!) positive relationship I've had, plus they're a nice buffer between me and the rest of the nation (I'm currently dominating the Otomo who refuse to stay at peace with me) plus I'm more powerful than Chosokabe so this doesn't bode well for the Shogun getting scared about me next. I've only just gotten past a food crisis in my regions and started to really develop my towns (plus I've got most of the trade routes sewn up) and was looking forward to a fairly boring period of construction and then recruitment before I started expanding.

Is ignoring the Shogun's "request" a good idea? I have a horrible feeling that if I take that province I'll not only piss off my best friends the Chosokabe, the Shogun himself will say,"Hey this guy is getting pretty uppity with all his conquests!" and decide he wants me dead instead.

Edit: In previous games I remember you could trade (or demand) regions, but I couldn't seem to find that option on the diplomacy screen. I was hoping to get around the request by doing a peaceful trade, is that not possible?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There's no penalty for failing to fulfill requests, unlike in Rome. And yeah, doing that would put you closer to Realm Divide so if it's not super-advantageous you could just ignore it, I think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In that case, gently caress the Shogun, I'm gonna suggest an alliance with Chosokabe and we can wipe out the Otomo once and for all. :getin:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Thats the spirit. The whole point of the campaign is to become the Shogun, so the dudes a seat warmer for you anyways and nothing more.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

canyoneer posted:

I don't know how it applies to Rise of the Samurai, but a useful tip in vanilla and Fall of the Samurai is to get into the proper mindset of conquest. For some folks, your natural inclination is to remain a peaceful, honorable lord governing and defending your own borders without coveting the lands of others without just cause. That's not how Total War works, however. In Total War, the whole point is to ruthlessly attain dominion over the other lords of the land, so if you think you have the army to take another's province and feel that it would be useful to gain the resources of that province, hit them hard before they build up their army to match yours and take their riches. And watch out for others trying to do the same to you, of course.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tomn posted:

I don't know how it applies to Rise of the Samurai, but a useful tip in vanilla and Fall of the Samurai is to get into the proper mindset of conquest. For some folks, your natural inclination is to remain a peaceful, honorable lord governing and defending your own borders without coveting the lands of others without just cause. That's not how Total War works, however. In Total War, the whole point is to ruthlessly attain dominion over the other lords of the land, so if you think you have the army to take another's province and feel that it would be useful to gain the resources of that province, hit them hard before they build up their army to match yours and take their riches. And watch out for others trying to do the same to you, of course.

Alternatively install the increased number of turns mod and sit on your rear end for 50 years :haw:.

Also, come to think of it: while Shogun 2 is much more transparent than the older TW games so for veterans it's simpler in a way, there is significantly more to manage at one time (and significantly more to manage in RotS than in vanilla). Not only that, but once you get accustomed to its systems you'll have a hard time going back in the series. You should give M2 or Rome a go first; they're still both very good games. The easiest starting spots in both of those are probably Britain and Egypt (until the Mongols but by that point you should have the hang of things); as Egypt in M2 you don't have to worry about anything at all for a very long time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jerusalem posted:

In that case, gently caress the Shogun, I'm gonna suggest an alliance with Chosokabe and we can wipe out the Otomo once and for all. :getin:

Basically this is how I run the entire game. Need to remember the mod realm divide once I play it so its not so drat severe. Whoever thought adding an event that's so strong your alliance that's lasted an entire game, 2 marriages, trade going well, gifts flowing towards them would still not be enough to keep them is an idiot.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Are there any Realm Divide mods which are still working since the latest patches and DLCs? Otomo release was the last official thing out right? I jumped on pretty late, and it looks like the modding scene mostly died down before the official content release did, undermining quite a lot of stuff.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

canyoneer posted:

Man, this learning curve :negative:

I opened up babby's first TW game (Shogun 2) and I can't really figure out what to do. I even sat through all the tutorial videos, and tried to do the tutorial battles (but the artillery trebuchet part is bugged?)

Rise of the Samurai is a good place to start for a beginning player, as the units are more multi-role than vanilla and the arts/skill trees are significantly better balanced such that you can always make a decent choice while you are learning without having a crippling impact on your later game. With Cavalry rare and expensive in Rise, a new player can learn how to manage infantry combat and get to grips with it before cavalry finds it's way into the mix.

The Fujiwara are difficult to lose with as someone mentioned earlier, due to the fact it will take several turns for an enemy army to get to you, but the reverse makes expansion for your difficult. I would suggest the Kamakura Minamoto, as they start with access to elite units (Foot Samurai), a Blacksmith and a central but not too central position which gives them some good expansion options.

While you are starting out, upgrade your Blacksmiths into Weaponsmiths, as the extra melee attack to your Levy units makes them head and shoulders above their unupgraded cousins and will act as a powerful force for the early game.

For buildings, you want to make sure you upgrade every farm to Dry Field Agriculture no matter the soil fertility and you will want to get some Markets to increase income as well as allow you to field Junsatsushi. Consider upgrading high value provinces with Strongholds or Forts to enable extra buildings to be placed there, a Clan Estate and Market in a fertile or very fertile province can be a powerful economic engine in it's own right.

As for units, you can get away with around 10 units (a half stack) in the early game, roughly 6-7 Naginata Levy and the rest Bow Levy. If you can build Foot Samurai or Sword Attendants, grab one or two of those (not many more, they cost too much for an early economy) and they will carry you through many battles. Slowly bring the stack up to full size of 20 units. Have your Daimyo lead the stack, the extra morale he brings is critical with Levy units.

Early arts should be Tax Quota for the additional town growth, but Way of the Bow can be equally valuable with it's additional ranged power for your forces.

A quick unit breakdown:

Naginata Levy: Naginata troops are versatile, being anti cavalry and anti infantry, but not as good as the specialists (Spear and sword respectively). Levy troops need to be in their generals command aura and must not be allowed to be flanked or attacked from the rear.

Bow Levy: Basic ranged unit, of limited use against anything but other Levy (Naginata or Bow). Weak in melee. Don't let them get in a fight.

Sword Attendants: Dedicated anti infantry. Devastating charge but poor defence leaves them vulnerable to arrows and being swamped. Can destroy even elite units if conditions are favourable (and cost much less).

Naginata Attendants: Both Anti cavalry and Anti infantry, Naginata Attendants are heavily armoured and have high defence. Will hold the line well against most enemy forces. A good choice if your army is ranged heavy.

Bow Attendants: Ranged unit of moderate skill. Unlike Bow Levy, Bow Attendants can do good damage to all units (although less well against Naginata Attendants and Foot Samurai) and can even hold their own in melee combat against Naginata Levy. Cost effective, but vulnerable to most melee troops.

Foot Samurai: Combination super archer/ super melee fighter. Expensive and few in number but exceptionally powerful. Has the deadly Whistling Arrows ability. A few units of these will make a devastating fighting core for your army. Are not a cost effective match-up against their specialist counters (Bow Attendants, Sword Attendants).

Mounted Samurai: Elite cavalry. Good in melee and ranged combat. Very few in number, useful for tactical strikes.

Mounted Naginata: Anti cavalry/ Anti infantry cavalry. High armour, good against arrows but very few in number.

Naginata Warrior Monks: Elite Naginata Troop. Able to obliterate infantry and cavalry with ease. Has the devestating warcry. Once in melee combat, these guys are unmatched. Unlike in vanilla, they have decent armour.

Bow Warrior Monks: Best ranged unit in the game, can hold their own in melee. Each man is not as good an archer as Foot Samurai, but there are almost 50% more of them, which results in more arrows on target. Lacks Whistling Arrows.

Tetsubo Warrior Monk Hero: Hero unit. Sword Attendants turned up to 11.

Naginata Warrior Monk Hero: Hero unit. Naginata Warrior Monks turned up to 11.

Mounted Samurai Hero: Hero unit. Mounted Samurai turned up to 11. Ludicrous range.

Onna Bushi Heroine: Hero unit. Mounted Naginata turned up to 11.

Lots more information and a good example of how to play Rise of the Samurai can be found at my LP here.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
I was going to say that Shogun 2 battles are ridiculously easy no matter the army composition but then I checked my stats and saw I had 260 hours put in. :(

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The problem I had with the original Shogun 2 was the AI loved to run to the nearest forested hill and just wait me out in any battle that allowed it, unless they specifically attacked my stacks. It made my archers and cav really useless and was incredibly annoying to have to fight multiple times every war. This was a long time ago now though, at Shogun's release, so it may be a bit better now.

I think the thing I love so much about FoTS is I don't have to give a poo poo about terrain so long as my artillery has sight lines. Trees will not save you my Shogunate friend.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 26, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Nope, Shogun 2 vanilla AI still makes for the nearest hill. I don't think it prefers forests, as it doesn't seem to give a poo poo about them and will happily try to shoot bows from a dense forest, making for the worlds worst archery duel.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Tommofork posted:

Nope, Shogun 2 vanilla AI still makes for the nearest hill. I don't think it prefers forests, as it doesn't seem to give a poo poo about them and will happily try to shoot bows from a dense forest, making for the worlds worst archery duel.

Yeah, I think I'm just assuming the trees part because I always had a big archer detachment, and the whole "trigger loose formation and watch your archers always win" mechanic wasn't as workable when I couldn't hit anything.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Mazz posted:

The problem I had with the original Shogun 2 was the AI loved to run to the nearest forested hill and just wait me out in any battle that allowed it, unless they specifically attacked my stacks. It made my archers and cav really useless and was incredibly annoying to have to fight multiple times every war. This was a long time ago now though, at Shogun's release, so it may be a bit better now.

I think the thing I love so much about FoTS is I don't have to give a poo poo about terrain so long as my artillery has sight lines. Trees will not saving you my Shogunate friend.

Tommofork posted:

I've never really understood these complaints. What exactly do you want the computer to do? That the computer adopts a defensive position when it is being attacked is somehow a flaw of the computer? Should it attack you on the open field or something?

If you are outclassed and under attack, you withdraw to the most defensible terrain you can find, prioritising hills and tree cover to reduce the impact of enemy cavalry and to funnel their forces. Shooting from inside the tree cover out is more effective than shooting into the trees, so that acts like a power multiplier for your forces. It also lets them last longer if you are shooting their melee troops to soften them up before they attack. If your archers are wiped out and they have a lot of ranged firepower left, you are forced down to attack, otherwise you wait it out and let them attack you, since the clock is against the attacker.

That they don't *always* get it right is no surprise, but really, what other options are there? Attacking your force is suicide, you are confident you will destroy them which is why you attacked.

How else should they play them?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

It's an effective tactic but it's not very loving fun.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Mr. Peepers posted:

It's an effective tactic but it's not very loving fun.

A fair criticism, but now for the second part. What should they do instead that is fun? Also, note how this is a no-win scenario for CA.

e: Also, note that competent AI that sometimes plays in ways that are competent but not fun (Which I disagree with actually, uprooting entrenched positions takes a lot of skill) is orders of magnitude better than the Empire AI model of suicidal lemming attacks.

e2: Archer/Cavalry heavy armies have real difficulty taking entrenched positions, so continued difficulty with these battles may indicate your army composition is not quite right.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 26, 2013

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
A lot of the complaints I see give me the impression that some people don't actually enjoy PLAYING the games and having to do stuff but just want to see hordes of inferior enemies fall before their might in an open field. Or they're Rome players whose preferred strategy was to create a solid battle line, march forwards, and let the enemy charge into their waiting arms.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

shalcar posted:

A fair criticism, but now for the second part. What should they do instead that is fun? Also, note how this is a no-win scenario for CA.

e: Also, note that competent AI that sometimes plays in ways that are competent but not fun (Which I disagree with actually, uprooting entrenched positions takes a lot of skill) is orders of magnitude better than the Empire AI model of suicidal lemming attacks.

e2: Archer/Cavalry heavy armies have real difficulty taking entrenched positions, so continued difficulty with these battles may indicate your army composition is not quite right.

I agree it's a difficult problem of balancing AI effectiveness vs. fun, but what gets me is the randomness of the map selection. I hate attacking an enemy stack with an army of my own I expect to beat them with, but after already committing to the attack I find the AI has some hugely defensible terrain advantage and now my finely-tuned superior force is boned.

Something I'd like to see would be a limited ability to choose your battleground when you attack. Similar to how you can choose the weather, if you don't like the current map you can pick another one randomly. Or once you've chosen the map you can change which side you deploy on so that big hill you were worried about is no longer right in the middle of the enemy deploy zone. Maybe make it dependent on your general's skill compared to the enemy's skill, i.e. if you have a better general you can outmaneuver them before the fight starts and choose a more advantageous position to attack from.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

E: Beaten hard.

shalcar posted:

I've never really understood these complaints.

I don't mind the AI taking hills, that's good sense, it's that the AIs archers and its own cav are stupidly ineffective when in the middle of a forest. For bows, it could shift 100m to the side or even 50m closer and be on the edge of the forest shooting out, actually using the forest to its advantage. The AI gives no regard for in a forest/out of a forest, it just walks and if it happens to end up in a forest, all the better.

I'm also pissed off since R:TW that I don't have a chance to inspect the battlefield before committing to an attack and so this keeps on occurring. Even just viewing the minimap and projected deployment zones before committing would be a huge improvement. I hate arriving on a battlefield and oh look giant forested hill perfect defensive position for the AI. I wouldn't have bothered with the loads times if I'd known that was there. Control W see you later gator.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I think the above 2 answered it as well as I would have, it's not so much I mind them taking a good position, it's that me having no insight into the battleground puts me at a much bigger disadvantage then it really should in these situations. I mean when its early in a Shogun game and your not colossally overpowering your opponents, the little stuff like this can really dig your army into an attrition hole you can't do anything about. Combine that with it being really unpleasant to have to dig AI out of these positions over and over and you just end up not wanting to play. This is basically my exact experience the first time I sat down with Shogun. At least if your going to allow the AI to do that, give me something to root them out, which is what FOTS artillery does (albeit a bit too well).

So I guess, like above, I wouldn't mind it so much if I had any say in how the maps generated, like the weather.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a sperg about my armies taking any unnecessary losses, so any situation that makes my armies fight unfavorably I dislike. Does sometimes interfere with just playing the game out, but I can't really help that poo poo. Seriously, I've tried. I'm loving mental.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 26, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh hey the Black Ship just showed up, it can't be as tough as everybody says I'll jus-

:stare:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just attack it with loads of Heavy Bunes and autoresolve. They'll probably capture it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The battle AI in Shogun 2 is still the best out of all the Total War games.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Out of curiosity, does the AI perform better if its being led by a higher starred general?

VVVVV Yeah, I know that they get better morale and bonuses. What I should've asked is that if they get "smarter" VVVVV

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 26, 2013

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
They have better morale I believe.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tommofork posted:

E: Beaten hard.

I don't mind the AI taking hills, that's good sense, it's that the AIs archers and its own cav are stupidly ineffective when in the middle of a forest. For bows, it could shift 100m to the side or even 50m closer and be on the edge of the forest shooting out, actually using the forest to its advantage. The AI gives no regard for in a forest/out of a forest, it just walks and if it happens to end up in a forest, all the better.

I'm also pissed off since R:TW that I don't have a chance to inspect the battlefield before committing to an attack and so this keeps on occurring. Even just viewing the minimap and projected deployment zones before committing would be a huge improvement. I hate arriving on a battlefield and oh look giant forested hill perfect defensive position for the AI. I wouldn't have bothered with the loads times if I'd known that was there. Control W see you later gator.

I'm not ENTIRELY sure, but I believe Shogun 2 runs with a system where the battle map terrain is based on the strategic terrain the actual armies are on. So if you attack a unit hanging out in wide open fields, it's an open plain battle, but if you attack a unit that's chilling out on top of a wooded hill, you're going to have to dig them off that there hill.

Unsurprisingly, I find that the AI loves to park on top of hills when they have the slightest suspicion of being in danger.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
It's supposed to work like that but the game sometimes gets confused I think. Had plenty of battles on/near bridges that turned into regular open fields encounters.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The main problem with them parking on hills is they go into dumb mode and won't actually do anything beyond sitting there which doesn't provide a challenge at all while also making it really boring. I don't know if the AI just bugs out but plenty of times when it's in defensive mode it lets me kill a ton of them with archers before it even tries to do anything, and lets me wander units up right behind them.

I find it more of a challenge when the AI is mobile and doing something, I just don't get how it's so hard to get it to coordinate its attacks. 99 percent of the time it'll just rush cav into me without any support or try to flank and attack my rear but before any of its troops are nearby.

edit - fots AI seems a little better and I've had it actually flank me with cavalry while my frontline is engaged and go after my general.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 26, 2013

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
The battle AI in FotS seems a lot better in general, and I wish they could somehow port those improvements back to vanilla shogun 2, though I understand battles in that are quite different so it's not as simple as adjusting some code. It still has no idea how to hold an army of non-elite units together when attacking your walls, though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
To be fair assaulting a fortification is supposed to be suicidal. I wish the AI would try to stare us out more.

And my problem with forested hills isnt that I don't like the AI entrenching, it's that it is impossible to see through the trees. It turns the battle from strategy to "send your men into the fog and hope they win". Trees in shogun 2 are pretty annoying in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

This is the most helpful thread. Thanks everyone :glomp: