Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"Argon bad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Me and my ex are levelling on EU servers, since we were already far into the levelling before we heard word NA might be better. Although in fairness, I've had no problems with EU so far.

I don't know if it's been addressed elsewhere in the thread, but Level 47 - 50 will see you hit a grind wall of sorts if you've been questing without doing any dungeons or 5-man BAM quests.

At that level, you should be able to get through Necromancer's Tomb with a chum relatively easily, allowing you to complete Freeing Kaidun. There are a load of quests in NT which will fetch millions of experience so it's a good place to hit up. I believe, doing these, unlocked some Westonia quests... or something somewhere, which you're sort of lead to.

In either case, my advice when levelling is if you see some folks looking for people to do BAM quests or dungeons, go for it. If only to do the dungeon-related quests and nothing more.

I hear there's a similar wall around Lev52-53 but not as bad, so we shall see.

It was just a shame that the levelling process had been pretty smooth up until then.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
A very small amount of pain for a very nice amount of progress--go to Dragonfall in Sylvanoth and head southeast down to Dakonian Junction. Farm XP off of the unlimited minions spawned by the Bleakbone Dragoons there. It's easy to start as early as level 47 there and go all the way to 54, even earlier if you are crazy. Forty minutes there will net you at least one level.

Of course, if you like pain and want more, you can continue grinding on Argonomorph Mugatos south of Pathfinder Post in Val Tirkai from that level all the way to 58.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Grind Nagas in Serpentis Isle with 100% XP Boost from 50 to 54-56.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
As an archer and lancer duo, me and a friend had pretty good success doing mugatos south of pathfinder for 56-60; since you can chain more than 6 monsters now, it went faster than questing for us. Not too sure if it's really doable without a lancer since they hurt me pretty bad, though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I soloed about an average of nine Mugatos per pull as a 55 Berserker, though I found it prudent to +6 my gear before doing so.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

A very small amount of pain for a very nice amount of progress--go to Dragonfall in Sylvanoth and head southeast down to Dakonian Junction. Farm XP off of the unlimited minions spawned by the Bleakbone Dragoons there. It's easy to start as early as level 47 there and go all the way to 54, even earlier if you are crazy. Forty minutes there will net you at least one level.

Of course, if you like pain and want more, you can continue grinding on Argonomorph Mugatos south of Pathfinder Post in Val Tirkai from that level all the way to 58.
I saw your post about this a few weeks ago and wondered what the hell you were talking about. Then I got there again naturally last night and caught a glimpse of some player causing extreme slowdown and figured it out. Seems like it's only feasible solo for Archers, Sorcerors and maybe Priests, though. Pausing next to a massive swarm and having anything go wrong (server lag or knockdown) is an extreme death hazard. Of course, I haven't seen the damage with anything more defensive than light armor.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 26, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Again, I did that part solo with my Berserker, too. Always slamming that Mocking Shout key upon cooldown is all it takes to prevent hitstun for that class long enough to pull out a fast-charge glyphed Cyclone. It's all about pacing oneself, pulling two or three Dragoons at the most earlier on, then grabbing a couple more if one feels confident and has a full HP pool.

Other classes can get away with melee mobbing them as well thanks to having more stun attacks.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Archers and Sorcs definitely have the easiest time, then. Their downside being that you can't really avoid killing the dragoons with long ranged AOE immediately. The whole field respawns really quickly, however.

antwann
Jan 21, 2005
This was the only part of leveling a mystic that wasn't terrible. My damage was so slow that I'd never kill the lancers if I let a few adds spawn, then I was killing 6-10 of the minions with each aoe attack I did. Basically just circle strafing and spamming aoe to success. Was getting over a level an hour and for a brief moment knew leveling without suffering.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Alright, if the Mystic wave can one-shot those turds than I guess everyone can have fun. Good place for some mostly even-leveled world PVP, too. :xd:

antwann
Jan 21, 2005
Well, it doesn't one shot them, but once you get the first ones from a set dying, you start killing the already whiddled down ones with each consecutive. Regardless, it's the one time where our slow killing is actually beneficial!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I keep asking this in guild chat, but people don't really answer. I've been killing Basilisks for fun and profit, and they kind of vomit gear I can't use or don't want to use. My inventory is filling up quickly, and I don't know what to do with the excess. I've been disassembling stuff into Deosilex and tossing it up on the trade broker, since it has the highest average sell price out of the disassembling results, but it hasn't really been selling when I price it at the broker's given average price, though things like verdracloth get snapped up within minutes. how do I TERA economy

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

We found four packs of them, each giving around 1900exp per kill, which equals 11,400~ exp per pack. Though the respawn time didn't seem overly fast at all, at least for our Slayer/Sorcerer combo.

So we've gone for KaneTW's Naga advice (minus the 100% exp) for the time being.

Gotta admit though, as a Slayer, if I made myself a pie chart of all BAM damage I've taken, the greatest slice of it would be: "Being walked over as if I was nothing."

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Don't kill the pack masters along with the pack. Get the pack aggro on, then run circles around it as the master Dragoon spawns something like 20 minions every several seconds or so. Without limit. As in, a few Dragoons can potentially be throwing 80 or 100 minions at you very shortly if you let it grow. Then take them all down without dying and suddenly you're making hundreds of thousands of XP per pack.

BAMs do happen to be fun enough in this game that you can be entertained as you level, which is an upside for them.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I keep asking this in guild chat, but people don't really answer. I've been killing Basilisks for fun and profit, and they kind of vomit gear I can't use or don't want to use. My inventory is filling up quickly, and I don't know what to do with the excess. I've been disassembling stuff into Deosilex and tossing it up on the trade broker, since it has the highest average sell price out of the disassembling results, but it hasn't really been selling when I price it at the broker's given average price, though things like verdracloth get snapped up within minutes. how do I TERA economy
List items 5-10% higher than the minimum. Don't do average. Elite players can list anything with no fee so they sometimes list items with a ridiculous price, skewing the average.

Also maybe watch the broker for a few days to get an idea of minimum price range.

Question: does tera allow UI mods like wow? I'm thinking of an auctioneer-like addon.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Nope, it doesn't (and it sucks)

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Don't kill the pack masters along with the pack. Get the pack aggro on, then run circles around it as the master Dragoon spawns something like 20 minions every several seconds or so. Without limit. As in, a few Dragoons can potentially be throwing 80 or 100 minions at you very shortly if you let it grow. Then take them all down without dying and suddenly you're making hundreds of thousands of XP per pack.

BAMs do happen to be fun enough in this game that you can be entertained as you level, which is an upside for them.

Weird then, I guess we were fighting the wrong ones. The minion mobs south east of Dragonfall don't have masters attached to them, you certain of the location?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I need to clarify. It's not just southeast, it's east and then south. The location you're looking for is just south of the the "Da" of Dakonian Junction here on this map:

The Bleakbone Dragoons are undead mounted lancers and you'll know it's them for sure when you pop their minions and they spawn more.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
I can not decide on a class to play even after running a fair few of them though the intro zone and taking a few onto isle of dawn for a few levels as well.

Normally I roll bow/gun ranged DPS or sneaky/stealthy Rogue or a variation thereof in MMO's, TERA has no Rogues and archer just feels really repetitive and unsatisfying.

So I am a little lost..

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

mfny posted:

I can not decide on a class to play even after running a fair few of them though the intro zone and taking a few onto isle of dawn for a few levels as well.

Normally I roll bow/gun ranged DPS or sneaky/stealthy Rogue or a variation thereof in MMO's, TERA has no Rogues and archer just feels really repetitive and unsatisfying.

So I am a little lost..
From my (very little) experience, most classes have a bit of a slow start and get a lot more fun as the abilities core to their playstyles open up. Priest was incredibly boring at the start, for example, as was Sorcerer.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

mfny posted:

So I am a little lost..

Roll a sorcerer or slayer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

From my (very little) experience, most classes have a bit of a slow start and get a lot more fun as the abilities core to their playstyles open up. Priest was incredibly boring at the start, for example, as was Sorcerer.

I've only tried Slayer and Lancer. Slayer was pretty boring and slow, but Lancer was fun right out the gate.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Warriors attack fast so maybe thats sort of like a rogue?

I usually play healers or casters in other games but I really like the Lancer in this game. Play a lancer!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Both Warriors and Slayers have Backstab where you home in on someone's rear for a gank if that's what you're into.

Warriors can also summon a shadow clone, which also lends to a sort of cunning fighter archetype.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Archer is as far away from a rogue archetype as possible, the closest class to archer is berserker except you get your cyclone equivalent on level 58 instead of 3, and you compensate by doing dps from 8-10m instead of melee. Archers also get to naturally destroy everyone in pvp because they get to have high burst, decent amount of cc and great area control.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

I need to clarify. It's not just southeast, it's east and then south. The location you're looking for is just south of the the "Da" of Dakonian Junction here on this map:

The Bleakbone Dragoons are undead mounted lancers and you'll know it's them for sure when you pop their minions and they spawn more.

Found 'em and managed to ding up to 53 no problems. That place is ridiculously awesome. Died a few times getting minion kill drunk, but all in all very worthwhile.

Thanks for the tip!

Errant911
Aug 17, 2007
We live by the sword.
Okay, so I just started this game with another goon. It's been a LONG time since I've played any MMO for more than an hour or two. I'm talking Neocron era (custom RagnarokOnline servers not included). I ran through the tutorial with all the different classes, but spent most of the time just getting a feel for the game. I've played a Slayer and a Sorc both to about 10, but I'm considering deleting one and trying a more unique class, e.g. mystic or priest. I'm trying to decide between Priest or Mystic for when I'm running Co-Op with my friend, and then I'll have another char for when I play by myself. For the Co-Op char, my friend is playing Lancer. If I go with Priest, am I pretty much just standing there healing or am I actually getting in the battle as well? Reading some of the earlier pages it seems like Mystics might be a little underpowered for solo play.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Lancer and Priest/Mystuc will get you in any dungeon instantly but it'll be slowwwwwwwwww to level. You should get Sorc to 26/Slayer to 18 before shelving them (Warrior to 28, Zerker/Archer to.... I forgot)

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Errant911 posted:

Okay, so I just started this game with another goon. It's been a LONG time since I've played any MMO for more than an hour or two. I'm talking Neocron era (custom RagnarokOnline servers not included). I ran through the tutorial with all the different classes, but spent most of the time just getting a feel for the game. I've played a Slayer and a Sorc both to about 10, but I'm considering deleting one and trying a more unique class, e.g. mystic or priest. I'm trying to decide between Priest or Mystic for when I'm running Co-Op with my friend, and then I'll have another char for when I play by myself. For the Co-Op char, my friend is playing Lancer. If I go with Priest, am I pretty much just standing there healing or am I actually getting in the battle as well? Reading some of the earlier pages it seems like Mystics might be a little underpowered for solo play.

Priests actually kill decently fast and with the damage buff to lancers, they are not as slow as they used to be. Mystics kill slower, but they provide auras that end game groups love. As healers, you start off standing around healing but as you get to progressively harder dungeons, you need to start dodging lasers, aoes, lockons. You'll need to dispel bosses, kite monsters and other stuff. Healers are probably the easiest to play but you'll still have to do some work rather than standing around staring at health bars. Like 70% of healing is positioning. You're never really spamming heals because a lot of attacks can 1 shot people even with full health.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Velveteen how much damage does the curl aoe does to you on HM?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Velveteen how much damage does the curl aoe does to you on HM?

I've never gotten hit I'm not sure but I know the donut does 300k to me.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I can't remember how much Donut does to me but curl did 91k last time I got hit. I saw lancers survive it before with like 500 health so I was curious.

Errant911
Aug 17, 2007
We live by the sword.

KaneTW posted:

Lancer and Priest/Mystuc will get you in any dungeon instantly but it'll be slowwwwwwwwww to level. You should get Sorc to 26/Slayer to 18 before shelving them (Warrior to 28, Zerker/Archer to.... I forgot)

I think I'll give this a go. If I'm being honest with myself, I don't know if I'll make it to 60. I'm usually pretty busy and have a short attention span (not good traits if you want to play MMOs). While a mystic could be helpful for endgame, I wonder if I'll make it that far. If I do stick around long enough to get a char up that high, I may go back and start a mystic.

edit: So... I deleted my Sorc to remake him as "Baraka.Obama" but it turns out that name is taken. :argh: I don't even know the point of playing anymore.

double edit: Turns out a female high-elf named "Eyes.Are.Uphere" is available. "Eyes.Are.Up.Here" was too many words. :/

Errant911 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 28, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Errant911 posted:

I think I'll give this a go. If I'm being honest with myself, I don't know if I'll make it to 60. I'm usually pretty busy and have a short attention span (not good traits if you want to play MMOs). While a mystic could be helpful for endgame, I wonder if I'll make it that far. If I do stick around long enough to get a char up that high, I may go back and start a mystic.

edit: So... I deleted my Sorc to remake him as "Baraka.Obama" but it turns out that name is taken. :argh: I don't even know the point of playing anymore.
So far for me, Priest seems a lot less painful to solo level than Mystic. We actually do an okay amount of damage, helped by the fact that we have infinite self-healing so we can train up a gigantic number of mobs, then drop AoEs until they all die and heal up all the damage in seconds.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That's not your perception, it's objectively true. Mystics get 2 attacks you can functionally use, all the way until 60. It's beyond boring.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I played this briefly during beta and enjoyed it with some friends, but not enough to subscribe.

How has their support been? Regular updates? New content?

Are the endgame dungeons or endgame play in general fun?

Are the classes all useful and fun?

I don't care about pvp and I'm lukewarm about raids at best.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

victrix posted:

I played this briefly during beta and enjoyed it with some friends, but not enough to subscribe.

How has their support been? Regular updates? New content?

Are the endgame dungeons or endgame play in general fun?

Are the classes all useful and fun?

I don't care about pvp and I'm lukewarm about raids at best.

The times I use support they have been very quick and helpful. Updates are a little slow but you have plenty of time to learn hard modes and such before new content. End game dungeons consists of doing hard modes which are quite difficult. They're basically powered up 5 man dungeons with better loot and harder gimmicks. Every class is useful with berserkers having a harder time at end game hard modes because of their lack of dodge. Mystics being preferred over priests because of their aura. But they can still be done with those classes. The amount of fun you get from a class is subjective. Try them all out, theres always one class that appeals to you most.

There aren't any raids in the game yet. Unless you want to count Nexus Traverse which is a 10 min dungeons that opens once/twice a day at set times. You basically go in zerg down boss collect loot and leave.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I hit 45 last night with my Warrior and I'm starting to get a bit bored, although I have been pretty much soloing the whole game so far. Is there much I can do to spice things up a little? I'm a bit worried that any good dungeon groups at my level will expect me to know what I'm doing since I'm not a really low level any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Honestly? Take a break and play something else for a bit. Levelling-wise TERA isn't exactly the most paradigm-smashing MMO and later levels can get pretty brutal in terms of the exp you need and the mobs you're expected to kill. It's F2P now so there's no reason not to just drop it for a bit and come back later when you feel like slashing some dudes up.

That said getting to 60 with at least one character is totally worth it because the gear you get is fantastic-looking and the dungeons are great.

• Locked thread