Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Karanas posted:

Is it me or do only pieces of an armor set gets unlocked when you defeat a large monster? For some of them I'm missing the options to make greaves or faulds or chest armor or what have you.

Usually that's if you don't have the main piece of that part of armor.

For example, my Wroggi Faulds S and Bracers S wouldn't show up until I managed to get some Brace+ from Great Wroggi.

That was fun. Somehow managed to get 4 Flying Wyvern Gems while I was at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, I gotta say. One drawback of the Hunting Horn is the paralyzing number of choices since you have to balance out the usefulness of the notes in addition to the normal stats/elements of the weapons.

I'm at 4* normal right now. Which Horn should I be aiming for as an all-purpose one? I'm using Peco, Ludroth, and Heavy Bagpipe right now.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Your way works too posted:

People have already mentioned the use for the sword mode X+A attack (you can mash either button you don't actually have to mash both), but the big swing is useful because it combos into a rapid horizontal slash combo by mashing A after it. It uses up your stamina but is fast and hits pretty hard. The axe mode X+A is the fastest way to combo into it. Also if you are playing with a hunting horn player and they give you the infinite stamina buff you can do it forever.

It has to be X that you mash after the initial X+A, actually. You can also hit down on the left stick during the charge to skip straight to the burst :eng101:.

Also, the best part about the hack-and-slash combo is that the whole thing counts as a single attack. Thanks to the way chance-on-attack effects (IE, criticals and status effect procs) work in Monster Hunter, if you get a proc on the first hit, every hit of the entire combo will get it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

Water controls are totally killing me, I hope I'm not the only one who finds themselves suddenly surfacing after pressing the B button to dash forward or back. It's incredibly annoying. (This is on the 3DS Version, BTW)

If you keep holding down B while pressing forward or back, you'll either swim up or down. Just don't keep it pressed and you'll do fine. It's the quickest way, too, so I really only use that to swim, and ignore the camera for the most part. Works perfectly fine.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Which game did they change the rathalos/rathian AI? Jumping from Freedom Unite, their new moves took me offguard.

Glad to see they still World Tour though

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Man, I gotta say. One drawback of the Hunting Horn is the paralyzing number of choices since you have to balance out the usefulness of the notes in addition to the normal stats/elements of the weapons.

I'm at 4* normal right now. Which Horn should I be aiming for as an all-purpose one? I'm using Peco, Ludroth, and Heavy Bagpipe right now.

The one you get from the Rathian (Valkyrie Chordmaker) is what I've been using so far. It gives you a Negate Stamina Use, Defense, Ice Resist, and Sonic Waves songs which are all pretty useful, particularly the Negate Stamina one which is awesome since I've been local cooping with friends.

MDDY
Mar 21, 2008

At what point does it stop allowing you to outright make weapons? For example, I can either upgrade my Bone Something+ to a Lagia Sword or I can just have the blacksmith make the sword, although it costs more and requires a few more common materials. This upgrade specifically annoys me because it actually costs less Lagi Horns to craft it than it does to upgrade to it.

If I can just craft something when I get to the appropriate monster rather than farming for all the previous upgrades, it seems like it would save a lot of time.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

I'm at the same place and Peco and Heavy Bagpipe are my goto pieces right now. Heavy gives attack+ and def+ while the Peco horn can just spam medium heal all day

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah, I was wondering about the armor, too. I made the Mail and Greaves for the Qurupeco set but none of the other options were showing up. Looking at the wiki, turns out I've never picked up a Wonderful Beak or a Scale+. I'm guessing those are things you cut off when you're fighting Quru? Or they're only on the Crimson Quru? Also, looking at the Wiki again, it says to "overforge" the Quru armor. What does that mean?

I also had spare parts to make the Secta Nulo SnS. I like! The Dual Swords feel "spammy" to me, but the Sword and Shield are fast, too, and more controllable. So now I'm trying to upgrade 4 weapons :sigh: . Hammer is still my main, but these will be fun to mess around with when I want to switch things up.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Static Rook posted:

Yeah, I was wondering about the armor, too. I made the Mail and Greaves for the Qurupeco set but none of the other options were showing up. Looking at the wiki, turns out I've never picked up a Wonderful Beak or a Scale+. I'm guessing those are things you cut off when you're fighting Quru? Or they're only on the Crimson Quru? Also, looking at the Wiki again, it says to "overforge" the Quru armor. What does that mean?

I also had spare parts to make the Secta Nulo SnS. I like! The Dual Swords feel "spammy" to me, but the Sword and Shield are fast, too, and more controllable. So now I'm trying to upgrade 4 weapons :sigh: . Hammer is still my main, but these will be fun to mess around with when I want to switch things up.

I'm pretty sure that was a Tri only thing. In MH Tri you used to be able to "upgrade" your armor to the next tier at some point (essentially making a weaker version of the actual HR armor). However I believe this option was removed.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Static Rook posted:

Wonderful Beak and Scale+ drop off of High Rank Qurupeco. Which is marginally better than a Crimson Qurupeco.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Bugamol posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a Tri only thing. In MH Tri you used to be able to "upgrade" your armor to the next tier at some point (essentially making a weaker version of the actual HR armor). However I believe this option was removed.

RuBisCO posted:

Wonderful Beak and Scale+ drop off of High Rank Qurupeco. Which is marginally better than a Crimson Qurupeco.

Thanks! I never got far into Tri, and I'm still only at 4 * in the village so I'm clueless about High Rank stuff. Looks like I'll focus on the Wroggi set for now.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Have they said anything about the eventual gamepad play+international play patch since they announced it? I'd like to at least be able to play on the pad soon. Can't be rocket science to patch in but then again NOA is awful.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Harvs posted:

I'm at the same place and Peco and Heavy Bagpipe are my goto pieces right now. Heavy gives attack+ and def+ while the Peco horn can just spam medium heal all day

Is there a way to control between XS heal and S heal? It seems completely random. How do you get medium heal? I've never seen that from a Peco recital.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry if this is a bit of a derail, but last night I was trying to get some information on basic online hunting etiquette, and I wound up finding the Future MH Game Wishlist. There are a few good ones here and there, but goddamn this thing is a goldmine of horrible fan ideas. Highlights include trap bullets, duel mode and dark-type damage.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 26, 2013

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bobnumerotres posted:

Have they said anything about the eventual gamepad play+international play patch since they announced it? I'd like to at least be able to play on the pad soon. Can't be rocket science to patch in but then again NOA is awful.

What's NOA got to do with it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bland posted:

They don't "get" online, maaaaan.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just did the volcano harvest tour for the first time to get some dragonite ore, and I walked out with two rust shards. Is that unusual?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pomp posted:

I just did the volcano harvest tour for the first time to get some dragonite ore, and I walked out with two rust shards. Is that unusual?

Nah, Rustshards aren't super uncommon or anything. The real question is: Did you walk out with anything good from the Rustshards?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Pomp posted:

Don't know if it's normal but pretty much the same thing happened to me. One of the shards turned out to a be a rust hammer who, with a bit of upgrading, turned out to be a dragonbreath hammer or something with a nice dragon attribute to it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
There's like a 60%(?) chance for a certain mining node to spawn in area 5, it's solid gray, has a good chance to give rustshards, and can respawn every ~5minutes. There's 2 or 3 other nodes that always spawn that have a chance to give them out too. The major problem is that you can only carry 3 per quest, and each rustshard only has a chance to spawn as the weapon you actually want, and then only has chance of actually spawning as the rusted weapon instead of some stupid Iron+ weapon.

^Also I hate you, because that's the only one I want :(

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 26, 2013

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Where do I find yambugs? I've been looking for so long and I can't even find anything about it on the internet

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bland posted:

They, at the very least, control the 'when' with patches. The Sonic Racing patch (for a very serious game breaking bug) was done for weeks before NOA let them release it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ChibiSoma posted:

Nah, Rustshards aren't super uncommon or anything. The real question is: Did you walk out with anything good from the Rustshards?

Some SnS called Eternal Strife. I use hammers and greatswords :(

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Highblood posted:

Where do I find yambugs? I've been looking for so long and I can't even find anything about it on the internet

The grandma merchant in the SP/MP Marina sometimes sells Yambugs.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Apparently you can sometimes get them from eating Glutton Tunas

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Thundercracker posted:

I feel you... I also have serious "upgrade block" when it comes to my Hunting Horns, because I am never sure which route to take. It's especially annoying when you lose an important note during an upgrade.

To answer your question though, you just need to have lots and lots of different hunting horns, and bring a different one to each situation.

Arguably the two most important songs are Attack Up and Negate Stamina Loss. The catch with these is that you'll never get a horn which contains both songs until REALLY LATE end-game (which solidifies what I said above, in that you need a lot of different horns). If you are playing in Multiplayer, you'll want to bring the horn depending on what your allies are using. GS/SnS/Hammer/GL/LS players really want Attack Up, and DS/Lance/SA players really want Negate Stamina loss. +Elemental Attack song also comes in handy, particularly if you've got some DS/SnS allies who use alot of elemental damage. If you are playing solo Hunting Horn, Attack Up will bring you more mileage than Stamina Loss for most hunts. Healing is always good too, but I find it stretches out fights if you rely on it too much.

Apart from those two songs, the other songs become useful/useless depending on the Hunt you are doing. Having a song which negates something particular from a monster (Hearing Protection, Wind Pressure Negated, Snow/Mud Negated, etc..) usually gives you a very large window to give a free beat-down to the creature whenever it uses that move. Carry a large variety so you can handle most situations.

[e]vvvvvvv
whoops fixed little mistake on LS. :ohdear:

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 26, 2013

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bobnumerotres posted:

They, at the very least, control the 'when' with patches. The Sonic Racing patch (for a very serious game breaking bug) was done for weeks before NOA let them release it.

There is no patch yet, it's not out in Japan or EU either

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Why would longsword prefer Negate Stamina Loss over Attack Up?

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

elf help book posted:

Hammer, Dual Sword, Lance, Gunlance, Bow, Heavy Gunlace and technically Great Sword and Sword & Shield users will love you for it since they all use stamina when they do their R moves or whatever they use to spend Stamina!

e: oh, Long Sword users. Whoops. I guess it means they get to roll more?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So after hours of waiting and worrying about my charm tables after investing ~50 hours into the game, I find out I am in Charm Table 2.

Is that any good? Does anyone have links that can show me if it is any good or not?

I also just defeated lagiacrus in the urgent village quest- It was such a relief to see him dead and I am glad that I don't have to fight him again unless I want some of his weapons or armour.

*Looks over the 5* quest- capture lagiacrus*

....gently caress.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

elf help book posted:

You can get attack up from food/demon drugs, and I don't think it stacks w/ the HH buff. Of course, you can also get inf stam from a consumable, so whatever.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Happy Blue Cow posted:

[e]vvvvvvv
whoops fixed little mistake on LS. :ohdear:

Oh, cool. I wasn't picking on you. You just made me really confused about how I use a longsword. haha

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Samael posted:

I also just defeated lagiacrus in the urgent village quest- It was such a relief to see him dead and I am glad that I don't have to fight him again unless I want some of his weapons or armour.

*Looks over the 5* quest- capture lagiacrus*

....gently caress.

Just wear a set of bone armor so you can know exactly when to capture him. Easy.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Is anyone up to G rank yet? Does the game get significantly harder? For some reason this game feels significantly easier than Tri. I know a lot of that is due to knowing most of the monsters moves and having more experience in general, but the monsters just seem to have less hp and don't seem to hit as hard.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just wear a set of bone armor so you can know exactly when to capture him. Easy.

Perception gems are also easy enough to make so an equipment set with 5 slots can also work. Capture Guru is probably one of my favorite skills to have since I capture pretty much everything.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I found out a neat trick with capturing -- If you set down a shock trap, then hit him with tranq bombs, sometimes you're like me and hosed up and he still has more HP.

Well, if you wail on him, sometimes you can push him under the threshold number and get the capture anyways.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I honestly think monsters should just do something definitive when they're capture-able. I mean they're supposed to anyhow (drag themselves), but sometimes they are randomly assholes and never show you this animation, even when they zone.

90% of the time I have no problem capping but these instances happen where I won't attack them for several minutes in fear I've hit em too much, they zone just fine, I start wailing on them again and bam they're dead.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I honestly think monsters should just do something definitive when they're capture-able. I mean they're supposed to anyhow (drag themselves), but sometimes they are randomly assholes and never show you this animation, even when they zone.

90% of the time I have no problem capping but these instances happen where I won't attack them for several minutes in fear I've hit em too much, they zone just fine, I start wailing on them again and bam they're dead.

If you're worried about it that much just get the capture guru skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bobnumerotres posted:

This was a big thing from 2nd gen that was just completely removed. More than half of the monsters had very obvious capture-tells, and the lack of this detail remains one of the only things about 3rd gen that makes me rather angry about it.

• Locked thread