Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

ravenkult posted:

Hellraiser is boring as poo poo though, you're rarely bored watching a Cronenberg film.

I don't know about boring. A lot of Barker's dread is derived from the bizarre being juxtaposed with the everyday life.

I think the first two do well with this. Hellraiser really makes it believable that a skinless man that crawled out from hell is living in your average house. That his lover is feeding him bodies to rebuild his flesh. And once you've become used to that craziness, they summon demons from hell in S&M outfits that tear you apart with chains. Oh yeah, and a slimy muppet barfs maggots.

Really I think people tend to overlook the Hellraiser films these days because the initial shock of how innovative the visuals were has worn off. The practical effects in that movie were groundbreaking. Especially the skinless body thing. I haven't seen it in a while, but we talked about the formation of Frank for MONTHS after we saw it the first time. It was absolutely terrifying in the theaters.

I remember talking about the visuals in Hellraiser from a practical effects side the same way we did about Gollum from a CGI standpoint, as in How the gently caress did they do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Alligator Horse posted:

The only copy I can find of Ken Russell's 'The Devils' is missing the last 8 minutes. Fuuuuuuuuck.

DON'T TALK ABOUT PIRACY, IDIOT.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

schwenz posted:

I remember talking about the visuals in Hellraiser from a practical effects side the same way we did about Gollum from a CGI standpoint, as in How the gently caress did they do that?

Ah, the good old days where you'd just find a dangerously underweight actor and throw him in a skinless mansuit.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You liked it. Now let's hold hands.

:3: I think the film's structure with the "dramatic reconstructions" of an event that never actually happened was a really interesting style choice. So interesting I think it's well hiding the fact the movie itself was kind of bad. But it's unique for me in that it's the first movie I've ever seen that when it was finished I just kind of went, "Huh. Well, alright."

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Ah, the good old days where you'd just find a dangerously underweight actor and throw him in a skinless mansuit.

They still do that with the dude who played Mama.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

weekly font posted:

:3: I think the film's structure with the "dramatic reconstructions" of an event that never actually happened was a really interesting style choice. So interesting I think it's well hiding the fact the movie itself was kind of bad. But it's unique for me in that it's the first movie I've ever seen that when it was finished I just kind of went, "Huh. Well, alright."

Plus it has a few very effective and memorable moments, I thought.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Plus it has a few very effective and memorable moments, I thought.

The entire last hypnotism was really well done as were the hard cuts between the "Found footage" and "recreations" (the biggest jump scare for me was the smash cut to the "real person" Milla Jovovich was portraying) but part of me wonders if the movie would have been significantly better as just one or the other.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

weekly font posted:

The entire last hypnotism was really well done as were the hard cuts between the "Found footage" and "recreations" (the biggest jump scare for me was the smash cut to the "real person" Milla Jovovich was portraying) but part of me wonders if the movie would have been significantly better as just one or the other.

I doubt it. For me at least the whole strange (and unique) hook of the movie added to make the 'Real person' footage more frightening. Not because it made it more believable, but somehow it still tricked your mind somewhat in taking it more seriously. So when it suddenly switched to that footage, you got just a little more uncomfortable.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

weekly font posted:

They still do that with the dude who played Mama.

And that guy from REC / REC 2
Which, holy poo poo, Medeiros was scary!

e; Weird Javier Botet is listed as uncredited for REC 2. How do you not credit the scariest part of the movie?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

schwenz posted:

And that guy from REC / REC 2
Which, holy poo poo, Medeiros was scary!

e; Weird Javier Botet is listed as uncredited for REC 2. How do you not credit the scariest part of the movie?

Doesn't the guy have Marfans Syndrome? I thought that explains his physique.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Here is some behind the scenes footage from the Evil Dead remake. Of course it's very spoilery, but i found it interesting. The use of practical effects looks painstaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSvZIwx79As

Jane Levy is creepy as gently caress at 11 min in.

Diogenes Ex
Feb 4, 2011

by T. Finninho

WickedIcon posted:

Honestly, I dislike the first Hellraiser quite a bit too; it's just straight up boring. It takes a really neat concept and basically just shoves it in the background of a mediocre vampire movie. However, I have to at least appreciate Hellraiser 2 for mostly ditching the aspect of the first movie that didn't really work and going absolutely balls out insane with the aspect that did work.

How is Hellraiser a "mediocre vampire movie"?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

caiman posted:

Go re-read my original post. EVERY movie is unoriginal to some degree. My problem with GE wasn't that it wasn't 100% original, but that it was nearly 100% UNoriginal.

I do agree that it cribbed from MANY sources to the point where it was annoying, but it definitely had some original flavor to it.

For one, the premise of a ghost-hunter reality show that's admittedly faked, yet runs into real ghosts, is something I don't recall seeing before. The time fuckery with the food and the electronic interference was also pretty cool. And although the shifting architecture is directly out of House of Leaves, I don't recall seeing that portrayed cinematically before. In fact one reason a lot of people like it is because it's the closest we'll probably ever get to a HoL movie since the author doesn't want it adapted.

SlenderWhore posted:

e: not to mention their murky motives for going to the asylum. Do they think it's real? Do they think it's fake? If they think it's real, then why oh why the hell would they go there? Also they're the richest college kids I've ever seen

A disheartening amount of film school students are untalented rich kids with tuition on their parents' dime.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Bonk posted:

I do agree that it cribbed from MANY sources to the point where it was annoying, but it definitely had some original flavor to it.

For one, the premise of a ghost-hunter reality show that's admittedly faked, yet runs into real ghosts, is something I don't recall seeing before.

There's a great episode of Tales from the Crypt called Television Terror that has this exact premise. (I'm not trying to rekindle this debate, I just wanted to point out this fact)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

caiman posted:

There's a great episode of Tales from the Crypt called Television Terror that has this exact premise. (I'm not trying to rekindle this debate, I just wanted to point out this fact)

Best episode of the entire show. There's also an episode of a radio show called Lights Out from the early 40s about this, but it's not a TV anchor, it's a radio host.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

Best episode of the entire show.

Hmm, I may agree with that. Or at the very least it's in the top five. I think Death of Some Salesman tops it slightly.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Is something wrong with me that the only problem I had with GE is the ghost "design"? Even that didn't bother me too much, but it certainly wasn't the first time that some supernatural being looks only slightly surreal on film before opening its mouth, then cut to the eyes going black and the mouth turning into a gaping maw.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Is something wrong with me that the only problem I had with GE is the ghost "design"? Even that didn't bother me too much, but it certainly wasn't the first time that some supernatural being looks only slightly surreal on film before opening its mouth, then cut to the eyes going black and the mouth turning into a gaping maw.

Nothing is wrong with you, but you're absolutely correct in recognizing that cliche. The "gaping maw" convention is an overused, boring image - one of the many ways Grave Encounters showcases its utter lack of a single original idea.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caiman posted:

Hmm, I may agree with that. Or at the very least it's in the top five. I think Death of Some Salesman tops it slightly.

Death of Some Salesmen is loving amazing.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Death of Some Salesmen is loving amazing.

I just looked this up on YouTube and wow...just wow. Everyone needs to see this right now!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bathhouse posted:

Here is some behind the scenes footage from the Evil Dead remake. Of course it's very spoilery, but i found it interesting. The use of practical effects looks painstaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSvZIwx79As

Jane Levy is creepy as gently caress at 11 min in.

I'm so excited for this movie that I cannot help but watch this!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am so thrilled that practical effects are making a comeback in horror movies. CGI hocus pocus has gotten so passé in the last 10-15 years.

Fede Alvarez, Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi, you magnificent sons of bitches.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Gonz posted:

I am so thrilled that practical effects are making a comeback in horror movies. CGI hocus pocus has gotten so passé in the last 10-15 years.

You and me both. Part of the fun of horror movies, for me, used to be trying to figure out how the special effects were done.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP9yqw3FPB0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Death of Some Salesmen.

I just want to say that I hate puns and am so, so sorry for the intro.

Edit: NSFW for boobies.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 26, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Skywalker OG posted:

A Tales from the Crypt episode that isn't bookended by bad puns is no true Tales from the Crypt :colbert:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Skywalker OG posted:

You've gotta be making GBS threads me.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Wrong thread, I'm dumb

Wilhelm Scream fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 26, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Welp, looks like I'm gonna be watching Tales from the Crypt episodes all day.

It goes without saying that Tim Curry rules, but man, Ed Begley Jr. loving rules.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 26, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

frozenpeas posted:

I just looked this up on YouTube and wow...just wow. Everyone needs to see this right now!

Rewatching it led me to wonder why you don't see Tim Curry that much these days. He's great!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rewatching it led me to wonder why you don't see Tim Curry that much these days. He's great!
Very relevant clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhuPn8_d0Q

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is it bad that my favorite Tales from the Crypt is Forever Ambergris by a country mile? That episode is just mean as hell, and loving nasty too.

(:nws: for gore and I think nudity? it's been a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZTqxTAE9M

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

WickedIcon posted:

Is it bad that my favorite Tales from the Crypt is Forever Ambergris by a country mile? That episode is just mean as hell, and loving nasty too.

Not at all, it's a great episode.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coincidentally, that was the next one I started watching after Death of Some Salesmen. It's a good'n all right, Roger Daltrey's great in it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I don't even have to click this to know.

WickedIcon posted:

(:nws: for gore and I think nudity? it's been a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZTqxTAE9M

Oh, surprise Buscemi :)

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

Fede Alvarez, Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi, you magnificent sons of bitches.

Is it making a comeback? I thought CGI was going stronger than ever and The Evil Dead remake was bucking that trend.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I can't really pick a favorite Tales From the Crypt episode, it's really more like a top 3 in no particular order:

1) The haunted house news report episode mentioned above

2) The episode filmed from a video camera perspective of a group of neighborhood kids who think the coroner is suspicious/evil/something like that

3) The magician who gets the nine lives of a cat

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't even have to click this to know.

Oh, surprise Buscemi :)

Surprise rotting alive Buscemi. Oh, Tales from the Crypt. :magical:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Tony Todd is awesome:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skywalker OG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP9yqw3FPB0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Death of Some Salesmen.

Edit: NSFW for boobies.

Did I just... Did I just see Tim Curry rape Ed Begley Jr.?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I didn't even realize it was him until that laugh at the end.

Edit: I think Curry is unfairly typecast and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhuPn8_d0Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Diogenes Ex posted:

How is Hellraiser a "mediocre vampire movie"?

Frank has a lot of traits that we would normally attribute to a vampire if we weren't distracted by all the insane special-effects and S&M gear. The whole thing where he starts off as a barely human, then regains more and more of his body by eating people is standard vampire/undead stuff.