Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Schofferhofer posted:

It was actually this. Now I feel like a fukn chump.

:downs::hf::downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I've done that.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
I've been shooting digital for a while and finally started having some fun with film this month. I bought an Epson V600 at first, intending to scan the negatives with it, but I was having all kinds of focus problems, regardless of how I flattened the film or shimmed the holder, and I really just wanted something that wasn't so fussy, so I ended up ordering a Plustek 7600. I figured I'd just add my data point to the discussion, so here's a comparison shot -- Plustek on the left, Epson on the right:

I'm pretty happy with the black and white results from the Plustek so far, I'll have to see how I like it for color negatives when I get done with my first roll of Ektar.

I couldn't even get the Epson to resolve the film grain, so I'm returning it. My other film camera is a 4x5, so the V600 is kinda pointless for me since I can't scan a 4x5 negative with it anyway (I should have done more research).

I wasn't yet ready to spend all that money on a V700/V750, and I'm planning to shoot a lot of 35mm, so I guess I'll have to figure out something else for scanning my 4x5s for now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a Minolta QuickScan 35+ with a focus knob that I want to try, except it's SCSI which Apple long ago decided doesn't exist. I would get a SCSI->Firewire adapter but that would cost as much or more than a V600 or whatever, so it's just kind of sitting there right now.

Plus if I wanted to use it I'd have to manually load every single negative one at a time into the carrier.

I love love love every part of shooting film EXCEPT the scanning.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
If you want to, you can send them to me and I'll scan them for cheap. I have access to a hasselblad flextight x5 and I'm a very experienced scanner and color corrector.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Bought myself a used Pacific image primefilm 2700 for €25. So much better than my Epson V300.

V300: Epson scan + photoshop tweaked as much as i could, many manual adjustments to try to bring out some more detail. Didn't fix damage to the negative in either image.

Primefilm 2700. Straight out of Vuescan basic, no adjustment save for invert.

I can probably make it a lot better by spending some money on Vuescan pro and doing some adjustments in photoshop.

This scanner is a pretty good option for someone on a budget.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Genderfluid posted:

If you want to, you can send them to me and I'll scan them for cheap. I have access to a hasselblad flextight x5 and I'm a very experienced scanner and color corrector.

I may take you up on that at some point. I have maybe 75 sheets of Ektachrome and Fuji RTPII to get started on. They all "expired" in 1998-2001, but they've been refrigerator stored since purchase in the early-mid 1990s. I'm hoping they're still in good shape.

I'm assuming a 48 bit tiff scan of a 4x5 would be ridiculously huge and out of the question? Most of the labs I've looked up have "absolutely not" in the faqs regarding any form of higher bit large format scans. It'd be cool to find a place that would ship me back such files on a DVD. I'm just thinking about the possibility of making very large prints after making adjustments in Lightroom.

Anyone have experience working with ridiculously huge file sizes in LR4? Does it crap out?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Inf posted:

I may take you up on that at some point. I have maybe 75 sheets of Ektachrome and Fuji RTPII to get started on. They all "expired" in 1998-2001, but they've been refrigerator stored since purchase in the early-mid 1990s. I'm hoping they're still in good shape.

I'm assuming a 48 bit tiff scan of a 4x5 would be ridiculously huge and out of the question? Most of the labs I've looked up have "absolutely not" in the faqs regarding any form of higher bit large format scans. It'd be cool to find a place that would ship me back such files on a DVD. I'm just thinking about the possibility of making very large prints after making adjustments in Lightroom.

Anyone have experience working with ridiculously huge file sizes in LR4? Does it crap out?

Probably depends on your specs. I have an i3 and 8gb of RAM in my laptop and LR3 would choke and die on 350mb files. I exclusively use PS for neg spotting. Please note I have not tested this with my newish SSD or LR4 so YMMV.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Inf posted:

I never use lightroom for scans files. They come right out of the scanning software and into photoshop. The x5 scans at 8 or 16 bit only. A 16 bit scan at max dpi from a 4x5 is around 7 or 800MB I think, and photoshop will work with it though it might be slow on an out of date machine

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
One potential approach to getting a good scanner is to buy an old pro-grade SCSI scanner. The numbers are much less inflated in professional gear, but there does tend to be more noise and the dynamic range is sometimes lower. There's one (1) card left that has Windows 7 64-bit drivers, the Adaptec AHA-2940. Other than that prepare to pay $100 for a USB SCSI adapter. Buy Vuescan and marvel at the towering pile of clunky code maintained by one enthusiast that's the only thing that lets you keep your scanner going on modern software. This wouldn't work with USB, the dude is actually writing code which bitbangs the SCSI bus.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Where can I buy a $100 USB SCSI adapter?

I would unironically buy one if I could find it at that price.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Zombietoof posted:

I hear you can find them on the internet.

http://www.usbgear.net/item_94.html

Might have to resort to trolling ebay too, but they can def. be found on there for under 100 bucks, the main issue is that most of the cables I"m seeing aren't produced anymore.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Zombietoof posted:

Get yourself a a old workstation and run windows XP on it. Starting at $50 including valid windows xp license. Run it headless and remote into it.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I'm relatively tight on space and I'll only be shooting 35mm for a while; would a Nikon PB-6 + Nikon 60mm macro + BR-5 + PS-6 or ES-1 be an OK setup for copying/digitizing my negatives? It's a pricey setup but I was planning on getting a PB-6 for work, and I already own the Nikon 60mm.

Edit: It looks like I can use the ES1 with just extension rings and an adapter?

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

Get yourself a a old workstation and run windows XP on it. Starting at $50 including valid windows xp license. Run it headless and remote into it.

Yeah, I'm trying to reduce the amount of dumb hardware in my house though. I've got plenty of old Pentium 4s or whatever that I can do this with.

And actually I guess I will probably do this just to try the scanner out.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Would it make any sense to do this with an old netbook, for a USB scanner (Epson V750)? I've got an HP MiniNote 2140 with a busted keyboard that I don't really use, was thinking of hooking that up to the scanner so that so I can do graphics editing on my main computer (MBP with a 24" LCD) and not tie up system resources (not to mention my external keyboard) with having scans going. Or would the remote software be worse?

Also, if anyone has some tutorials, youtube videos, etc to point me towards as far as scanning workflow, I'd be interested. I'm working through my massive backlog o' Hassy shots and while I'm just doing digital contact prints for now (laying the Printfile holder with negs in it on the glass, doing a 300dpi scan just so I know what's on each roll), once I get through everything and buy a Betterscanning holder I want to get cracking on the digitization. I'm mostly self-taught by trial and error, and while I usually get passable results, I know there's a lot I need to learn.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you want to be really clever about it, you could just install Linux on your netbook, ssh -X into it, and install vuescan. That way you don't have to have the overhead of X11 running on the netbook since I assume it already has limited resources.

That's probably what I'm going to end up doing if I try this Minolta QuickScan. I'm going to throw together some old piece of poo poo P4 with a SCSI card and as much RAM as I can find, install a barebones Linux, have it boot to console rather than X11, and automount my Pictures folder or something using AFP or Samba. That way I can scan directly onto my desktop Mac.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Would it make any sense to do this with an old netbook, for a USB scanner (Epson V750)? I've got an HP MiniNote 2140 with a busted keyboard that I don't really use, was thinking of hooking that up to the scanner so that so I can do graphics editing on my main computer (MBP with a 24" LCD) and not tie up system resources (not to mention my external keyboard) with having scans going. Or would the remote software be worse?

Rather depends on the specs of your Macbook. On my main PC (quad core 8 gb ram, lots of hard drives) scanning software doesn't stress the PC at all. I guess it is going to be like this for any semi recent computer.

For USB scanners that you need to run on a older or different OS you can just run VMware workstation or Oracle VirtualBox and use USB passthrough, works well. Only reason for extra hardware is if you need something that can't be easily emulated or is just cheaper and more robust as actual hardware (SCSI scanners with SCSI pci cards).

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Would it make any sense to do this with an old netbook, for a USB scanner (Epson V750)?
My computer is retardedly old (32bit, 2gb ram) and scanning on a V600 doesn't slow it down. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So I just ordered a much needed V600 from B&H. What is the current recommended scanning program?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Im That One Guy posted:

So I just ordered a much needed V600 from B&H. What is the current recommended scanning program?

I like the software that comes with it, but most people seem to prefer Vuescan. Silverfast is also popular.

Both Vuescan and Silverfast have demos though so you can give them a try and see what you like.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Does anyone else have the link to that (actually quite excellent) FYAD-lite tutorial on scanning? I want to get a good handle on curves, color (is 48 bit overkill?), etc, as I've been pretty much just winging it up until now. I'm using Epson Scan.

Just got my Betterscanning holder in the mail and am currently calibrating it. What better way to spend a rainy January 1st after a night of boozing, right?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 1, 2013

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Is this the one you're talking about?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM&list=FL0W2U67yEdhoGw1EiU-xiuA&index=25

(it's just how to fix a colour scan in PS)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

Is this the one you're talking about?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM&list=FL0W2U67yEdhoGw1EiU-xiuA&index=25

(it's just how to fix a colour scan in PS)

Yep, that's it. Hope he does more!

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
my v500 up and died yesterday, i'm loving done with it. gently caress you epson. is the canoscan 9000 any good?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Buy a v700 don't look back.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yep, that's it. Hope he does more!

I added an annotation about scanning it as a slide to get a raw scan. If your scanner doesn't do real 16 bit just try to get the scan to be really low contrast without anything at the far left or right side of the histogram.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

whereismyshoe posted:

my v500 up and died yesterday, i'm loving done with it. gently caress you epson. is the canoscan 9000 any good?

No it is worse it pretty much every way compared to the V600.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

whereismyshoe posted:

don't waste your time buying trash scanners that don't work

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
How is the Epson 4870. From the quick googlin, it seems to be the old top of the line Epson and equiv to the v700? Only difference is that it can be had used for less than 100

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I really like my plustek 7800, now that I've gotten used to it. Slower than hell though.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Laser Cow posted:

I really like my plustek 7800, now that I've gotten used to it. Slower than hell though.

Did you get the one with the IR dust removal?

How do you like it, other than the speed? Can't imagine it being slower than a flatbed.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
I love my Plustek 7600! Not a fan of the IR dust removal at all though. The way it populates the missing data can create some ugly and distracting artifacts that require correction anyway, not to mention it doesn't work for B&W film. I've had much better results just dusting off my negs before scanning and healing whatever is leftover in Lightroom. With my Plustek I get WAY better scans than I could get out of my v600, the only downside being that (obviously) it's limited to scanning 135 film. I also love how compact it is. It lives on a bookshelf in my bedroom when I'm not scanning. I live in a small apartment so not having a huge scanner taking up space on my desk is a major plus.

The speed depends on the dpi you're scanning at. Not sure how long it takes me per scan, but it takes me about an hour to scan an entire 36 exposure roll, which includes doing a low-res preview scan to make sure everything is lined up right each time I advance it to the next frame. I usually just watch something on Netflix while this is going on.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Randuin posted:

How is the Epson 4870. From the quick googlin, it seems to be the old top of the line Epson and equiv to the v700? Only difference is that it can be had used for less than 100

Their docs claim a 16 bit ADC, if that's true then you got a good proofing scanner on your hands at least.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Typo, I have a 7600, don't thnk there is a 7800. The IR may not be the best but it was such a great upgrade over my old canon 8800f.

I struggled most with getting the colours right but now that I have Lightroom I worry a lot less about the colour right straight out of the scanner.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Why can scanners like the V500 not do large format? The bed looks big enough to fit 4x5 negs, is it just a lack of compatible holders?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

Why can scanners like the V500 not do large format? The bed looks big enough to fit 4x5 negs, is it just a lack of compatible holders?

It's not quite big enough. You can scan them in two passes and use photomerge to combine them, though.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

big scary monsters posted:

The transparency unit isn't big enough. Before I got my v700 I was doing what FasterThanLight suggested for a few weeks, though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
drat, thanks. Guess I'll keep looking out for a 4870 or 4990 to show up at a reasonable price on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

If you don't mind losing 35mm, you can sometimes find 4990s without film holders for very cheap. I got one for $100 on ebay, and ordered 4x5 and MF holders from some Epson authorized service center for a couple bucks. 35mm holders seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth, but I ended up getting an old plustek for that (which seems much better than any flatbed anyway).

FWIW, I've read some people on the internet claim that the 4990 is optically identical to the V700. No idea if it's true, but I'm pretty happy with it's performance.

• Locked thread