Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Glad to hear it's working well. I recommended it to someone else on SA recently but hadn't actually tried it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Kenderama posted:

I really don't get what the issue is running XBMC on ATV2.

the menus are sluggish as hell compared to my other HTPCs unless you turn the fanart/thumbs/scrolling synopsis off
PVR can't play HD channels smoothly as the ATV doesn't have hardware decoding support for the codecs used (in AU/DVB-T at least)
I'm about to sell mine, luckily i bought it for only $85 as the ATV3 had just come out and nobody knew it wouldn't be jailbroken for ages.

The only positive it does have is that the airplay support is stable, i've found it to be very unstable on openelec

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I guess I really never noticed much slowness - or if I did, i ignored it. :) I am just happy xbmc will play anything I throw at it without requiring a server like Plex.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Kenderama posted:

I guess I really never noticed much slowness - or if I did, i ignored it. :) I am just happy xbmc will play anything I throw at it without requiring a server like Plex.

Yeah it's perfect for me. XBMC, Netflix and NBA League Pass all in one spot. I had a mp4 chug away in XBMC, threw it into iTunes and it played fine over Appletv.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I do agree that the ATV is nice for its native support of MLB/NBA and Netflix. That's one thing I sorta left out of my original complaint.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Bucket Joneses posted:

I do agree that the ATV is nice for its native support of MLB/NBA and Netflix. That's one thing I sorta left out of my original complaint.

If only it had the NFL I would never need cable again.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Ramadu posted:

And that is why it's still a while away and it will be a lovely fight the entire way to getting unblocked local games in your region. :(.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shmoogy posted:

And that is why it's still a while away and it will be a lovely fight the entire way to getting unblocked local games in your region. :(.

I don't think there's an online only streaming package for NFL? I think you can only do that if you have that Direct TV thing?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Joe Don Baker posted:

I don't think there's an online only streaming package for NFL? I think you can only do that if you have that Direct TV thing?
I know the PS3 has it, and maybe the 360 by now, not sure. I think you just have to check a box that says you can't receive a DirecTV signal in your area and they don't really check.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been using Handbrake to convert old performance videos so that they can be added to iTunes and watched over Apple TV. I recently acquired some more old footage, but it's on a DVD (actual DVD video, not just data files burned to a disc). Is there a good program that can rip that directly into an iTunes format? Or do most people rip into whatever and just use Handbrake after the fact?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

OS X or Windows? You can rip DVDs directly in Handbrake, but if they are copy protected I don't think you can rip them in the Windows version.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Handbrake can handle the entire thing and you end up with an iTunes-compatible video. It's almost the exact same process as converting a file.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Diabolik900 posted:

OS X or Windows? You can rip DVDs directly in Handbrake, but if they are copy protected I don't think you can rip them in the Windows version.

gooby on rails posted:

Handbrake can handle the entire thing and you end up with an iTunes-compatible video. It's almost the exact same process as converting a file.
Well I feel dumb for not just trying that! Thanks, I'll give it a shot later (I'm on Windows 7).

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
AppleTV 5.2.1 is out with a bunch of bug fixes and a re-designed Hulu Plus.

@evad3rs (The Evasi0n jailbreak group) is credited with all of the security holes.

Obviously, if you're jailbroken you'll want to hang out until further news on Seas0npass

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

tonic posted:

Give iVI a try. Make sure you select "pass through" and it will simply remux (rather than re-encode) mkvs and throw them in iTunes nicely tagged for you. Takes my iMac around a minute thirty for a 30 minute TV show.

I've found iVi to be awesome for metadata tagging, but I've never been able to get conversions to work the way I want. Even when I select "pass-thru", it still eventually starts "Doing Original Conversion" in the queue window and takes about 45 minutes for a 22 minute show. Can you post your settings so I can see what I'm missing?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On some movies, the Apple TV shows a timecode above the progress bar. Any idea what that is? I guess it's probably the time of the last chapter stop, but why would you want to know that, especially to the millisecond?

(Maybe this works differently on real iTunes movies, rather than my rips?)

Oh, nevermind, I figured it out while trying to find a screenshot that demonstrates it. But I guess other people might be interested... it's showing the chapter title, which happens to be set to the timecode of the chapter start. I'm not sure if this is IVI doing it because the file doesn't have chapter titles set, or if the upstream file has the chapter titles set this way. Not a big fan... I would think doing Chapter 1,2,3 would be better.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This is an ATV/XBMC question but it's more suited for this thread:

If I want to use a BT keyboard for character entry while in XBMC, do I have to first pair the keyboard from within iOS before launching XBMC? I ask because this particular keyboard is normally paired with an iPad but if I want to quickly switch it over to the ATV, XBMC doesn't seem to have any functionality to allow this.

copperblue
May 21, 2003

Ramadu posted:

I subscribed to Verizon's $5/mo NFL app. Watched the games on my jailbroken iphone4, and used AirVideoEnabler to push it to the ATV. Quality wasn't amazing, depends on your wi-fi speed.

You have to poke the screen every 10 minutes to prove you're alive, or find a way to simulate activity some other way.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've found iVi to be awesome for metadata tagging, but I've never been able to get conversions to work the way I want. Even when I select "pass-thru", it still eventually starts "Doing Original Conversion" in the queue window and takes about 45 minutes for a 22 minute show. Can you post your settings so I can see what I'm missing?

Does it show "HD: Pass Thru" in your queue? The only thing I did was check enable pass thru in the conversion settings. There are some MKVs that just won't do Pass Thru for me in iVI for whatever reason (lots of WEB-DLs strangely). And obviously if it has AC3 audio, it still has to convert that to AAC to be iTunes compatible. But for a 45 minute show, it usually only takes a few minutes.

It should look like this:

It has been so off with metadata recently though. I feel like TVDB updated something and iVI is just no longer catching anything.

tonic fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 30, 2013

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What's the usual turnaround on Seas0npass updates for new Apple firmware? I just decided to jailbreak my ATv and am frustrated that I can't currently. I guess I'll stick with handbrake for now.

Edit: I have apple tv 2.

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 31, 2013

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011
For all you people having problems with atvs and Xbmc:
I used to run xbmc, but as many of you pointed out, it really isn't ideal. So after a bit of googling about I found Firecore's ATV Flash Black. http://firecore.com/atvflash-black

It's a very simple setup, and gives you a great media player that you can hook up to a NAS and play back all sorts of media. I find it fits my needs perfectly. You can also use the software to install other "apps" like Xbmc etc. straight from the ATV!
It does cost some money, which of course isn't ideal, but for what it does, I find t well worth it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've looked at ATV Flash but I'm not sure how it updates the media library, can you tell me how it does that? Do you tell it to scan a directory, or does it look every x hours, or does it update on change? If I drop a TV show on a folder on my server I can ping XBMC to update the library but I'm not sure how it works here.

I also think I may miss the XBMC library sync now that I finally got it all set up.

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011
ATV flashes media library works just like you'd imagine a media library thing would, really.
You point it to a folder on your server, tell it what the folder has in it, (tv shows, movies, etc.) and it curates it, pulling all the necessary metadata and all that. I'm not near my TV at the moment, but if I remember correctly, you can tell it to scan for changes every x hours, might have other options aswell, I can't quite remember.

Personally I just use Flashes folder view and favorites to manage my media. It needs no scanning, it fetches the metadata every time you enter a given folder, and if you create a new folder it shows up automatically. It's perfect, and simple enough for my not-computer-interested fiance to manage her shows on her own folder on the NAS and watch them from the big screen without any hassle.

I do miss some of the eyecandy of XBMC. You can make that thing look amazing. But imo Flash looks well enough, the UI fits the ATV's general theme well, and the gains in speed outweigh the looks a thousand times over.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tonic posted:

It has been so off with metadata recently though. I feel like TVDB updated something and iVI is just no longer catching anything.
Yes, TVDB did update something and it broke lookups. And then instead of just putting out a bug fix update, the IVI people rolled the fix into their big update... which then got caught up in App Store review hell. Not good.

Anyway, if you are using the Mac App Store version, you can download an updated version from here until the real update comes through:
http://t.co/8ZMuDjD14R

You need to clear the cache too, because apparently it caches the "bad" TVDB lookups too.

You can also switch to TagChimp, but I didn't find it as good as TVDB and it was missing new TV episodes. Also, it uses different series naming, so that can make a mess of iTunes.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

smackfu posted:

Anyway, if you are using the Mac App Store version, you can download an updated version from here until the real update comes through:
http://t.co/8ZMuDjD14R

Awesome, I had been checking their website but somehow missed this. Totally fixed the metadata issue for TV episodes :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a windows analogue to Magic Media Marker?

I'd like to be able to feed a piece of software a folder full of files and have it correctly name&tag everything so its not a mess in my ATV

E: to clarify, this is being shared through itunes to an ATV3

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 8, 2013

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
My roommate has an annoying habit of changing the wifi password. This is a problem, as I've misplaced my apple remote. What I have been using is my phone, but as my ATV no longer knows the password, its not on the network. I do on an iOS device and I do own a bt keyboard, how do I get the ATV to wake up, accept input, and put in the wifi password?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Got a programmable remote or universal remote? Or borrow someone's harmony remote.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a windows analogue to Magic Media Marker?

I'd like to be able to feed a piece of software a folder full of files and have it correctly name&tag everything so its not a mess in my ATV

E: to clarify, this is being shared through itunes to an ATV3

I've used meta-x in the past and it works, although I found it so cumbersome that I couldn't justify paying for it. A quick search found http://www.hutsongroup.com/Hutson_Group/Vidalin.html which uses the same tagging engine as meta-x.

I've never heard of it before and the name sounds like some new erectile dysfunction med, but maybe it'll suit you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

gypsyshred posted:

My roommate has an annoying habit of changing the wifi password. This is a problem, as I've misplaced my apple remote. What I have been using is my phone, but as my ATV no longer knows the password, its not on the network. I do on an iOS device and I do own a bt keyboard, how do I get the ATV to wake up, accept input, and put in the wifi password?

A new remote is $20. Best Buy has them or maybe Walmart.

jungn
Mar 19, 2012

gypsyshred posted:

Do you have the ability to temporarily hook up the Apple TV via Ethernet? If so it's on the network at which point you could use your phone to set the wifi password.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Has Recently Watched or Movies just randomly disappeared for anyone else in Netflix? ATV3 on 5.1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
That happened to me a few weeks ago. Went back to normal after either a reboot or the next day.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I've seen that before. My only guess is that Recently Watched is dynamically added and if there is a network glitch, it thinks it should be hidden.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Yup - it's back this morning. Weird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I've had that happen before. I assume it's an issue on Netflix's end, honestly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

snickles posted:

I've used meta-x in the past and it works, although I found it so cumbersome that I couldn't justify paying for it. A quick search found http://www.hutsongroup.com/Hutson_Group/Vidalin.html which uses the same tagging engine as meta-x.

I've never heard of it before and the name sounds like some new erectile dysfunction med, but maybe it'll suit you.

These are all great, but I was looking for something for Windows

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Greetings apple drones!

As it goes right now I'm running an old 360 more or less on its last legs as a media server streaming content off my PC. Once this 360 goes I thought I might go with an ATV since I also run a jailbroken iPad 3 along with an unbroken iPhone 5 at 6.1.3 (:argh:)

I'd like to JB the TV as well. Any one have suggestions on equipment/configuration for something like this? My TV is 720 maxed and would be HDMI. Also how is the sound, just a regular jack?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Greetings apple drones!

As it goes right now I'm running an old 360 more or less on its last legs as a media server streaming content off my PC. Once this 360 goes I thought I might go with an ATV since I also run a jailbroken iPad 3 along with an unbroken iPhone 5 at 6.1.3 (:argh:)

I'd like to JB the TV as well. Any one have suggestions on equipment/configuration for something like this? My TV is 720 maxed and would be HDMI. Also how is the sound, just a regular jack?

If you are wanting to JB an ATV you need an ATV2 - ATV3's are not jailbreakable.

The ATV has HDMI and Optical audio out, and ATV2 is 720p so you would be all set. Just warning you though, unless you get really lucky, expect to pay $150+ for an ATV2, as everyone who has them to sell knows that they are not available and they are a hot commodity. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I've been using remote on two iphones with my 3rd generation AppleTV for around a year now. Starting a few days ago neither phone will recognize the AppleTV. I've force quit the application, deleted and reinstalled, reset the AppleTV, setup the AppleTV as new, and reset the router, all to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this take it back to the Apple Store?

• Locked thread