Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

The guy who created Wonder Woman also invented an early lie detector machine, and it fits in well with that Gloria Steinem quote about Wonder Woman being different from Superman (and other superheroes) because she solves her problems with cooperation and finding truth, instead of just bludgeoning people into submission.

And other times she just straight up kills people:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Dacap posted:

Another armor reveal, looks like what we thought was the Hulkbuster may not actually be called that.

So is this just a robot or is Tony supposed to be in there, because I don't think human heads and necks work in a way that'd allow his head to be in the helmet.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why is wonder woman a female Cap 'murica anyway? I think it's cooler if she's some greek/amazon independent hero instead of yet another who's subservient to the US. I never read comics but heard last year Superman rejected his citizenship, now there's some story potential.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mister Chompers posted:

So is this just a robot or is Tony supposed to be in there, because I don't think human heads and necks work in a way that'd allow his head to be in the helmet.

It's both. They can function as mech suits or be controlled by an AI or by remote.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

DNS posted:

I think of WW's bare legs like Superman's red underpants, a crucial part of their costuming because of what it says about the characters. Superman never feels weird about wearing his drawers on the outside of his baby blue nylon bodysuit, because he's Superman and nobody's gonna tell him he looks like a gaywad. He just sticks out his chin, puts his hands on his hips and stands next to you and makes you feel kind of uncomfortable because he's a huge buff guy in longjohns and a cape, and you can't do anything about it. Similarly, nobody's gonna tell Wonder Woman that she's showing too much thigh while she's saving the world and kicking rear end 365 days a year and displaying unlimited reserves of strength, compassion and intelligence.

First, I'd say tradition doesn't excuse objectification of women. My mother's family used the slang name for Brazil nuts for decades but that doesn't mean she should be okay with it.

The issue of not "getting" a character or doing a poor redesign for bad reasons, sure I get that. But that happens all the time. When the new 52 came out they redesigned all the characters to some extent, and plenty of those redesigns were poor. But what's problematic is only the female characters are reverting back to their old skin-flick designs (WW, Power girl), while the men aren't. Similarly, the male characters in skimpy outfits generally get more cloth over the years - Robin and Aquaman come to mind, and there has been little fuss about it.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 27, 2013

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

effectual posted:

Why is wonder woman a female Cap 'murica anyway? I think it's cooler if she's some greek/amazon independent hero instead of yet another who's subservient to the US. I never read comics but heard last year Superman rejected his citizenship, now there's some story potential.

Her outfit is weirdly patriotic, but that's a holdover from the fact that she got her start busting Nazis in WWII. Much like wearing pants, every attempt to remove that aspect of her design has resulted in a much worse costume so it's stuck around. She's really not "AMERICA, gently caress YEAH!" at all and hasn't been for decades.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If they want to keep the character in the patriotic outfit while still saying it's just coincidental that her family heraldry or armor or whatever is similar, why don't they just make it canon in the DCU that Betsy Ross or one of the other US flag designers was from the same family line as her or something. They can keep the iconic pattern of the outfit then while also having the outfit be "about" how much women have contributed to human culture with often minimal recognition or even real knowledge of who did what.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't think the issue is that she has bare thighs, or whatever, I would definitely agree that the issue is the way the costume is drawn/depicted. That is a great example, the original Wonder Woman Sappho Island wrestling costume or whatever looks great, Linda Carter could pull it off. It just that, far too often, it looks like fetishwear rather than like something a flashy Olympian would wear.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crackbone posted:

First, I'd say tradition doesn't excuse objectification of women. My mother's family used the slang name for Brazil nuts for decades but that doesn't mean she should be okay with it.

The issue here is the same thing with racism in media. There's nothing wrong with passive-sexualization in itself just like there's nothing wrong with using some stereotypes for shorthand for some characters. The problem with both are that they are taken too far to the point where ALL women are wearing skimpy outfits and sticking their asses in the air and all of certain minorities played in some media act like a stereotype.

That's what creates these arguments/circular debates. It's hard to attack something on a singular level, because the singular level isn't really the problem - but it's often endemic of a larger problem. The only real way, IMO, to "fix" this is for an overall attitude change and to present more female comic characters that don't wear underwear and always pose like they're ready to be mounted - but that's a hard change to enact since so many comic artists just emulate what they've seen in the first place. And many of the artists mature enough to have a better outlook don't want anything to do with comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Crackbone posted:

The issue of not "getting" a character or doing a poor redesign for bad reasons, sure I get that. But that happens all the time. When the new 52 came out they redesigned all the characters to some extent, and plenty of those redesigns were poor. But what's problematic is only the female characters are reverting back to their old skin-flick designs (WW, Power girl), while the men aren't. Similarly, the male characters in skimpy outfits generally get more cloth over the years - Robin and Aquaman come to mind, and there has been little fuss about it.

The problem was everyone was redesigned by Jim Lee

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darko posted:

That's what creates these arguments/circular debates. It's hard to attack something on a singular level, because the singular level isn't really the problem - but it's often endemic of a larger problem.

Yeah, agreed with this 100%. However this only leads to more circular arguments, seemingly.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just find it annoying that, as BrianWilly said, everyone feels compelled to rage about Wonder Woman's costume at the expense of at all talking about what makes her work as a character.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New The Wolverine trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzZP-_Ssc

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
That doesn't look good at all. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Officer Farva posted:

That doesn't look good at all. :(

Neither does your face!

What's wrong with you?

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

What? Seriously, I am so disappointed right now. I know, I know, wait until the movie comes out, don't judge it by the trailers, blah, blah, blah. I won't write it off, but that just looked awful. I thought they were going for a more serious take, but that looked like the same over the top, cartoon-like action bullshit that was in the first Wolverine movie.

You broke my heart, Wolverine!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, after all the buildup that teaser is somewhat disappointing. Looks like it might have some pretty cinematography, at least.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Officer Farva posted:

What? Seriously, I am so disappointed right now. I know, I know, wait until the movie comes out, don't judge it by the trailers, blah, blah, blah. I won't write it off, but that just looked awful. I thought they were going for a more serious take, but that looked like the same over the top, cartoon-like action bullshit that was in the first Wolverine movie.

You broke my heart, Wolverine!

I agree - it looks rather silly and doesn't really "feel" like the tone I've been getting from the stills. Hopefully, it will surprise me like First Class did.

edit: domestic teaser is slightly better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QiTaWlLqUFc

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 27, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Didn't we already discover a cure for mutations in X-Men 3?

Also the trailer looked passable until the ridiculous looking bullet train fight started, and that just looks dumb.

Not what I expected, and doesn't seem at all like what they have been trying to advertise up until now.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
You guys thought a blockbuster summer movie about a guy with unbreakable claws that come out of hands wouldn't have some over-the-top action in it? Really? REALLY?

I think the domestic trailer is definitely better than the international one, but they both intrigued me.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

No, when it comes to the action I expected something along the lines of X-Men 2, not G.I. Joe.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Officer Farva posted:

No, when it comes to the action I expected something along the lines of X-Men 2, not G.I. Joe.

Why?

volumecontrol
Mar 16, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is some of his armors and I am sure there are more that he didn't save

I've never quite understood what the original armors' pants and arms were made of. I mean, they're clearly flexible, and they show his muscles...is it supposed to be space-age mithrill or something?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Paul Allen posted:

You guys thought a blockbuster summer movie about a guy with unbreakable claws that come out of hands wouldn't have some over-the-top action in it? Really? REALLY?

It's not that I was hoping there wouldn't be any action scenes so much as I was hoping the action scenes wouldn't look like poo poo.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!
Why do they insist on having the stupid BWOOONG sound effect in every loving trailers.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Because I thought that the people involved in making it would refrain from making a complete piece of poo poo? Because since this movie was announced they've portrayed it as something different, a little more intellectual than your average comic book movie, I suppose. Of course this all started with Darren Aronofsky being hired as the director, but I just couldn't imagine that him leaving would let the film devolve into the typical summer blockbuster bullshit.

And really, the worst thing about it is that it just looks bad. Ok, if you want to have over to top, go for it. I enjoyed Kick-rear end and that was about as over-the-top as it gets, but the action scenes actually looked good. I admit I could be way off about the movie and maybe everything will look a lot better in context, but as for now, it looks awful.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

mrg220t posted:

Why do they insist on having the stupid BWOOONG sound effect in every loving trailers.

Didn't that start with Inception?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I watched the trailer again and I guess it doesn't look that bad. It's just that all the CGI looks really dodgy. Like, Blade 2 dodgy. Some of the sequences, like the ninja fight in the snow, look like they could be touched up to look nicer in post-production, but that train scene really looks like it has to be reimagined from the ground up.

It still definitely looks better than the first one (from the trailers anyway - I didn't bother to see the first one) and I'll probably go see it due to my weird and baseless nerdy desire to see the Silver Samurai on the big screen.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Oh some super fuckin rich guy who can spend enough to have someone look for me for over a year
wants to meet me? Better shave just my chin and mustache.

Officer Farva posted:

Didn't that start with Inception?

yup.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Wolverine fighting ninjas in the snow?

Seemed loving awesome to me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

effectual posted:

Why is wonder woman a female Cap 'murica anyway?

She isn't. She's an ambassador for the amazon island and isn't really subservient to anyone:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

She isn't. She's an ambassador for the amazon island and isn't really subservient to anyone:

Batman is enjoying that a little too much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why'd she end up in America

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zzulu posted:

Why'd she end up in America

They based her costume on the flag they found so she went there to learn about where it came from.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Paul Allen posted:

I think the domestic trailer is definitely better than the international one, but they both intrigued me.

You're forgetting that Darren Aronofsky was attached to this film at one point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thet0wer posted:

You're forgetting that Darren Aronofsky was attached to this film at one point.

Yes, several years ago before it actually entered production.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
When is this Wolverine supposed to be happening anyway? After the X-Men movies or between the Origin movie and X-Men 1?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gyges posted:

When is this Wolverine supposed to be happening anyway? After the X-Men movies or between the Origin movie and X-Men 1?

The main story is after X-Men 3, but there's going to be flashbacks as well.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, several years ago before it actually entered production.

Movie companies hires Aronofsky for superhero movies then ditch him as a good luck ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Wonder Woman has a history of bondage imagery? You don't say.

• Locked thread