Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

You don't have to use the Fuse software though, it's just an option if you want to tweak some things. Honestly, if it helps you get some decent tones from ones you previously thought were mediocre, then I'd definitely say that's worth an hour or two messing around because once you find that tone you can lock it in for good and you don't need to go back to Fuse ever.

I was actually thinking if it's possible to hack the fuse software to allow you to run other VSTs through it and then save those settings to the amp. That could really open up a lot more options, does anyone know if this is even remotely possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

nrr posted:

You don't have to use the Fuse software though, it's just an option if you want to tweak some things. Honestly, if it helps you get some decent tones from ones you previously thought were mediocre, then I'd definitely say that's worth an hour or two messing around because once you find that tone you can lock it in for good and you don't need to go back to Fuse ever.

I was actually thinking if it's possible to hack the fuse software to allow you to run other VSTs through it and then save those settings to the amp. That could really open up a lot more options, does anyone know if this is even remotely possible?

I would assume the DSP chip in the amp is only sophisticated enough to decode the information from FUSE and not, say, accept entirely new algorithms.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Yo, amp masters. I've got a question I posted in the bass thread and figured I'd check here for input, too.

I've been being pulled really strongly in the direction of playing bass for a good long while, and I think I'm about to crack. The major deciding factor here is that I can't justify getting an entirely new rig.

I have a Sunn beta lead 212 combo, and would like to leave it with the original speakers. Any advice? I've read that most of the original Sunn amps were designed with bass and guitars in mind, and the Beta series is pretty good about it. It's really the speakers that I'm concerned about. I told myself I can't have more instruments than rooms in my house, and I'm not getting rid of my banjos, so the guitars are being sold if I pick up bass. I want to keep this amp though, because we've bonded and it's my bff.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for a small, portable tube amp that takes pedals well, like 1-5 watts. I'd like a price of less than 300€, if possible. Any suggestions?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I happen to love my AC4TV. I leave my AC30 at the practice space now because, drat.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Looks cool, I'll check it out.

Another thing. Is it possible to mod the EVH 5150 III 50w touse the second EQ for both distortion channels instead of the clean and OD1 channels?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Revvik posted:

I happen to love my AC4TV. I leave my AC30 at the practice space now because, drat.

The tiny Fender Champ is also a good choice, being what half the songs of the 60s and 70s were actually recorded on.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Warcabbit posted:

The tiny Fender Champ is also a good choice, being what half the songs of the 60s and 70s were actually recorded on.
Champ is out of production now. Same amp still available under the Gretsch brand though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Loaf32 posted:

Yo, amp masters. I've got a question I posted in the bass thread and figured I'd check here for input, too.

I've been being pulled really strongly in the direction of playing bass for a good long while, and I think I'm about to crack. The major deciding factor here is that I can't justify getting an entirely new rig.

I have a Sunn beta lead 212 combo, and would like to leave it with the original speakers. Any advice? I've read that most of the original Sunn amps were designed with bass and guitars in mind, and the Beta series is pretty good about it. It's really the speakers that I'm concerned about. I told myself I can't have more instruments than rooms in my house, and I'm not getting rid of my banjos, so the guitars are being sold if I pick up bass. I want to keep this amp though, because we've bonded and it's my bff.

Home practice at low volume will be okay (but never really sound bassy) but trying to gig with that amp will murder those cool old speakers. If it's people who want you to play out with them that are doing the pull to play bass, buy a cheap but loud Crate or Peavey combo amp and leave it at the practice space.

The Beta series is a later Sunn product than the early big "guitar or bass" tube rigs, but still makes for a nifty guitar amp.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

After The War posted:

Home practice at low volume will be okay (but never really sound bassy) but trying to gig with that amp will murder those cool old speakers. If it's people who want you to play out with them that are doing the pull to play bass, buy a cheap but loud Crate or Peavey combo amp and leave it at the practice space.

The Beta series is a later Sunn product than the early big "guitar or bass" tube rigs, but still makes for a nifty guitar amp.

Thanks for the input! I think I figured my route here. I forgot that it's criminally simple to pull the head from these things without damaging it, so I'm going to do that and get a bass cab. That way I don't have to lug around that heavy-rear end combo just to use it for the head (seriously. It's as heavy as it sounds), and I also don't end up as one of those jerks who tears up the combo to keep an enclosure for the head. I've seen two betas on craigslist lately where that one done to them, and it just irks me.

This should be fine for a bass amp from everything I've seen. The lead and bass just have slightly different EQ ranges and the lead has reverb. I've put a bass through it at low volume briefly, and I think with some 15s, it'll bring the house down.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What's the advantage of having those rack amplifiers instead of a normal one? They seem pretty smart and light. Could I theoretically just use one of those, and use a G-System or something for EQ and effects?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They're not really lighter depending on how large a setup you have. A lot of pro rack systems are the size of refrigerators; Chris Poland's for example. I mean good lord look at this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVGYgi97MfM

The main advantage is mixing pre and power amps directly instead of slaving one head to another, which is how it was done in the dark ages. Along with throwing all the other stuff like effects, switching, and power regulation in one unit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'm not sure if this should go in the amps or effects thread, but I'm looking for an amp modeler/multi-fx unit for less than $400. Any recommendations?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Went to pawn shop today, emptied my pockets of $100, walked out with one of these:

1975 Sunn Concert Slave power amp. I can't seem to find much info about its exact specifications other than it's got between 150-200 watts RMS power. I've got an Ampeg VT-22, and yet that's just loving ridiculous. Seeing that I have no use for it and I know a bass player who could use a bit of raw power, it'll probably be going to him.

Edit: Took a peek inside, solid-state, date of manufacture sticker says 1975.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 12, 2013

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Handen posted:

Went to pawn shop today, emptied my pockets of $100, walked out with one of these:

1975 Sunn Concert Slave power amp. I can't seem to find much info about its exact specifications other than it's got between 150-200 watts RMS power. I've got an Ampeg VT-22, and yet that's just loving ridiculous. Seeing that I have no use for it and I know a bass player who could use a bit of raw power, it'll probably be going to him.

Edit: Took a peek inside, solid-state, date of manufacture sticker says 1975.

Ah, man. :( I've been looking for one of those for a while. Good find.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah, totally rad find, I've got a 73 Concert Bass and I'd love to get a hold of the matching Slave for the right price.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm not sure if this should go in the amps or effects thread, but I'm looking for an amp modeler/multi-fx unit for less than $400. Any recommendations?

How loud are you going for? I love my Cube 40XL.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sockington posted:

How loud are you going for? I love my Cube 40XL.

I ended up falling in love with a slightly used Zoom G5 and am now looking for a power amp to rock houses :shobon: I almost got a Cube but I figured I could gig with the Zoom more easily.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Are there any ENGL amps that are great for glam metal?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Not sure if this is the right place for this, I can go to a different thread if need be, but I have a question.

I got into building a bass amplifier with a friend, I was going to do the necessary carpentry, he was going to do the electronics, and we'd split the cost. After months and months of trying to get him to actually work on the project and almost having things working (to the point where we could get sound out of it, but with some electrical issues he couldn't/wouldn't resolve), I'm going to try to finish things myself, with some help assembling from a local amp guru once I have things ready. Right now, I'm looking to get all of the parts I need to make this work. All I have is our cabinet, set up for a 14" and two 8" speakers, and a gently used Nady XA-900 power amp that my buddy left with the project. Now I'm looking for power amp, and after that I'll try to find good speakers. Because of the look of the cabinet (built into a 1949 Westinghouse freezer shell with surprisingly decent acoustics. Not amazing, but decent), I'd love to do a tube amp, but I realize that a good tube setup is very expensive, more than I can afford right now. So, looking for decently priced tube preamps, I've seen the name Groove Tube Brick thrown around a bit, and it looks like it does what I need for an affordable price. The amp was never supposed to be a masterpiece, so the lack of things like an EQ etc. doesn't bother me. The question is, would it be a suitable preamp to use permanently in a bass amplifier, or is there something else in a similar price range that would work better? The amp is a bit of a gimmick, but I do still want it to sound good enough that it's not painful to use.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 15, 2013

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Loaf32 posted:

Ah, man. :( I've been looking for one of those for a while. Good find.

PM me, especially if the DC Metro area is accessible to you.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So there's a band that I've been friends with for a while, and we've played with them a lot, and they've sort of taken off because their music is awesome and they play shows all the time (like one per week in the area). They're talented dudes, but their gear is what a 15 year-old grunge cover band would use. A 50-watt Peavey TKO bass amp (which I suspect is a keyboard amp), a Marshall modelling solid-state half stack that grates my ears off, and a Peavey ValveKing (which I guess isn't too bad). The lead guitar guy who just bought an MIA Tele finally asked me what he should get for a new amp to replace his Marshall half-stack, so we went and tried this:

Fender DeVille 410 (came with a cover and footswitch!) and holy cow, this thing is awesome. We monkied around with it for a while in the shop before he decided on it 100% and I couldn't be happier. They play twangy punk rock stuff and this is a huge step up for them. And we were able to dial in a whole lot of awesome tones on this DeVille, but the only thing that I'm not sold on (the guy playing it is fine [so why even care, right?]) is palm-muting. It sounds a little flubby and dirty during palm-muted chords and I think part of it is the Tele, and the other part is the amp itself. I could dial out most of it using the EQ stuff, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any of their favorite settings on this bad boy. As for discussion-type stuff, what can we do for their Peavey? I'm thinking just another one of these, or (since he plays backup) maybe just a Fender Hot Rod 212? He's playing a Gretsch hollowbody through that head into a Marshall 1960B and it's just not cutting the mustard anymore.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
I play a Blues Deville 212 which I went with over the Hot Rod series when I was looking for an amp to gig with because the clean channel isn't as shrill. The Drive/More Drive on the HR series I find pretty lovely and most people I know who have them never bother with the "more drive". For what it's worth though I also never use the drive channel on my Blues Deville. I rather have a good solid clean tone and a nice OD pedal than a drive channel anyway, but that's just me.

Both the blues and HR DeVille's are pretty durable, can be found used for relatively cheap [depending where you live], and they take effects pedals very well. I sort of prefer the 212 versions over the 410 versions - to my ears, the difference between going with 2 12'' speakers over 4 10'' speakers is fuller/more articulated mid range.

Oh and be sure to install some casters on it.

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 16, 2013

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I played a Blues Deville 2 12" for years and years. I really only ended up selling it because it was just sooooo loud. I swapped the speakers on mine and it made a huge improvement. Mid level Fender amps can be improved greatly by swapping in better speakers and tubes.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

After The War posted:

PM me, especially if the DC Metro area is accessible to you.

I'm in Washington, but it's the other one down the road with a space needle and weed. Are you open to ship this? I don't have PMs but I do have Gmails. Username rocksplodor.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

scuz posted:

It sounds a little flubby and dirty during palm-muted chords and I think part of it is the Tele, and the other part is the amp itself.

Like HollisBrown suggested, this sounds like a problem which could be fixed by looking into different drivers with tighter response; Fender's stock drivers are usually middle-of-the-road Eminence-brand models, IIRC. Or it might clear up after the amp / drivers are broken in a bit, or maybe if there were a lot of moisture where the amp was being kept, that'd result in that sort of flubby effect as well.

Testing if it's the guitar or not is the first and easiest thing to check of course.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Does the 5150 III sound like a hot rodded JCM 800, or is it much more modern sounding(none of the shops in my area has one)?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Loaf32 posted:

I'm in Washington, but it's the other one down the road with a space needle and weed. Are you open to ship this? I don't have PMs but I do have Gmails. Username rocksplodor.

Just sent you an e-mail.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

After The War posted:

Just sent you an e-mail.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeplied.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Does the 5150 III sound like a hot rodded JCM 800, or is it much more modern sounding(none of the shops in my area has one)?

Its got its own thing, doesn't sound anything like a JCM 800 to me.

Real grinding, real heavy and dirty.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Turns out I'm keeping the Sunn after all.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Another question, there's this dude that's selling a stereo rack with the following:

Soldano SP-77 pre-amp
TC Electronic G-Major 2 fx
Marshall 9100 power-amp
Marshall 1922 cabinet
Rack case SKB 6 unit
Behringer FCB-1010 midi board

for 10.000 DKK ~ 1.340€.

Would this be a good setup for glam metal?
I haven't really had a rack setup before, but I figure it's more or less the same as a normal amp, just fancier.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thats some good poo poo in there. Should be good for most rock genres. And if you dont like the soldano pre you could just swap it for something else. I think JMP1's were popular for glam metal.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Handen posted:

Turns out I'm keeping the Sunn after all.

That's awesome. How's it sound?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Another question, there's this dude that's selling a stereo rack with the following:

Soldano SP-77 pre-amp
TC Electronic G-Major 2 fx
Marshall 9100 power-amp
Marshall 1922 cabinet
Rack case SKB 6 unit
Behringer FCB-1010 midi board

for 10.000 DKK ~ 1.340€.

Would this be a good setup for glam metal?
I haven't really had a rack setup before, but I figure it's more or less the same as a normal amp, just fancier.

Little follow-up question. The guy says he's got an ADA MP 1 that I can have instead of the Soldano. What do you guys think?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The MP-1 is great for what you're looking for, but the asking price needs to come down by about a third if it's in place of the Soldano preamp.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
There's a Mig100 on my local craigslist that comes with a Carvin 412 cabinet for $600. I wanna buy that thing and convert it into a 2x12 combo amp. Crazy idea or awesome idea? I've never done anything like this before, but I really like the amp itself and don't wanna plunk-down a grand to get a DIY kit.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

scuz posted:

There's a Mig100 on my local craigslist that comes with a Carvin 412 cabinet for $600. I wanna buy that thing and convert it into a 2x12 combo amp. Crazy idea or awesome idea? I've never done anything like this before, but I really like the amp itself and don't wanna plunk-down a grand to get a DIY kit.

I have 2 MIG 100s and they are by far my favorite amps. I would buy that in a heartbeat for $600 even without the cab. I can't comment on the 2x12 combo conversion because I don't know anything about it but I'd definitely pick up that head and cab.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

scuz posted:

You should jump on that. What you could do is build a speaker enclosure and put the Mig on top of that if you want a 2x12 sound and don't want to rip the Mig out of its casing but you could just as easily turn it into a combo (although that's a little more involved)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I just bought this rig:

It's very nice, but when I don't have the opportunity to turn the power amp up loud, it sounds very fizzy. Standard loud amp issue, I guess, but is there anything I can get that'll make it possible to play this amp non-loud?