Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Red posted:

Besides Nintendo Land, and having an avatar, what do you really need Miis for?

Absolutely nothing, say it again, huh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

greatn posted:

Absolutely nothing, say it again, huh!

Listen to this man.

But seriously, I can see many future games using them. They used them to a pretty good extent in the Mario Kart games where you'd see people's Miis in the backgrounds or fake in game ads, those were pretty charming. I'm hoping that Super Smash Bros Imbroglio has a Fighting Mii Team.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I saw myself on a Need For Speed billboard. Also NSMBU lets you use Miis (with or without Mario hat!) in those challenge modes. Miis are great. :colbert: I'm not sure why we're even debating their relevance, since I think the original quoted post was about writing in-game Miiverse posts via the home button?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh there's nothing wrong with them, but just like XBLA or PSN avatars there's nothing really important about them either. At least Nintendo doesn't try to sell you virtual clothes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Listen to this man.

But seriously, I can see many future games using them. They used them to a pretty good extent in the Mario Kart games where you'd see people's Miis in the backgrounds or fake in game ads, those were pretty charming. I'm hoping that Super Smash Bros Imbroglio has a Fighting Mii Team.

I would pay for a baseball game that uses my Miis, and lets me assign stats/abilities to them.

GET ON IT NINTENDO

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Minidust posted:

I saw myself on a Need For Speed billboard. Also NSMBU lets you use Miis (with or without Mario hat!) in those challenge modes. Miis are great. :colbert: I'm not sure why we're even debating their relevance, since I think the original quoted post was about writing in-game Miiverse posts via the home button?

I think he confused Miiverse with MiiMaker.

Or maybe doesn't know what the Miiverse is.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Red posted:

I would pay for a baseball game that uses my Miis, and lets me assign stats/abilities to them.

GET ON IT NINTENDO

Miis with cross-game stats could be a sweet feature if done right.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Miis with cross-game stats could be a sweet feature if done right.

I wonder if Nintendo is reading this??

Seriously, though - I've begun looking around to see if I can get mlb.tv on the Wii U. There is a thing called 'PlayOn', but that seems more tied to the MLB network.

Anyone?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Supercar Gautier posted:

None of the icons on the home screen will close your current software. It's fairly easy on resources because most of them are just variations on the browser software.

Doesn't matter how much resources they use. The wiiU has 1GB of "game RAM" and 1GB of "system RAM" Neither can touch the other ones space. The stuff on that menu use the system RAM, if a "system" application needs more RAM it will launch into the game space (so stuff not on that menu) and require a game to be closed. Remember that gig of system is used for the OS not just system apps. Most consoles list the RAM they have after the system is loaded into RAM because that is what actually matters. If Nintendo can trim down the OS we could have some pretty cool system apps while playing a game.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it's funny that you would say "doesn't matter how much resources they use" and then write this:

quote:

if a "system" application needs more RAM it will launch into the game space (so stuff not on that menu) and require a game to be closed

I know about the 1gig/1gig split. The apps they currently have on the homescreen are easy to work into the shared OS space because they're browser-based and low-demand. I'm not sure what prompted the lesson.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 27, 2013

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it's funny that you would say "doesn't matter how much resources they use" and then write this:

I know about the 1gig/1gig split. The apps they currently have on the homescreen are easy to work in there because they're browser-based and low-demand. I'm not sure what prompted the lesson.

I thought what you meant it works like Android where you can suspend as much stuff as you want but if something requires more space the main thing closes. A WiiU app is programmed as a "system" or "game" application. It's likely a simple flag. They don't all run in the same space (which is a good thing). PS3 apparently supports background downloading but I've never gotten it to work while playing a game. My guess for why this is, is that the game I'm playing uses so much RAM the PS3 cannot run the downloader (or the game declares it needs 100% of the RAM leaving none for the downloader. I'm not going to pretend I understand how the PS3 works internally). I haven't used downloads on an XBox360 so I can't really comment on it. This is tons better and it's important to understand why it works. Or at least it is for me.

I'd REALLY love to softmod a wiiU just to see how this space works in more detail and make some "system" apps for the wiiU pad while in games. I also bet it would be fun to mess around with a special copy of linux installed instead of the wiiU OS (basically ruining it as a game device). The hardware split and everything just seem like something that would be fun to mess around with in code. Even more so when you can actively trim the OS down to make room for better system apps.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
On 360 every time you start a game or app your download stops and you're notified it stopped, but it resumes by itself in a few seconds and continues background downloading. That's been my experience anyway.

The PS4 has not just separate ram for OS downloading operations, but a completely separate processor, at least that's what I think they're saying.

Nintendo just announced TVii can now launch directly into Netflix by the way. Makes it definitely more useful. What happens if you click "buy on Amazon"for a program available on prime, by the way? Anyone know?

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 27, 2013

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
According to Nintendo's Wii U Facebook page, Netflix is now on TVii. They added that you don't have to do anything to update your TVii profile, it should just be automatic.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

I'm thinking about getting this charging station. It seems to be reviewed highly -- my only problem with it is that it charges the game pad and 2 Wii remotes rather than 4. Has anyone released a similar product that charges 4 remotes and the gamepad? It seems like something that many people would buy, but I can't find one. Should I just hold out until one is inevitably released?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Battlefield 4 becomes another game to skip the Wii U. I don't think this is really surprising at this point, nor is it really bad news I guess. When PS4 and Xbox come out maybe current-gen multiplatforms will be more abundant for the Wii U.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
https://www.shopto.net have Batman: Arkham City: Armoured Edition reduced to £13.85. This game is well worth full price, let alone under £15! If you've not played it yet, now would be the best time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

pixaal posted:

PS3 apparently supports background downloading but I've never gotten it to work while playing a game. My guess for why this is, is that the game I'm playing uses so much RAM the PS3 cannot run the downloader (or the game declares it needs 100% of the RAM leaving none for the downloader.

I think the PS3 only pauses downloads if the game can be played online, so it doesn't make the multiplayer mode unplayable.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Droid Washington posted:

Battlefield 4 becomes another game to skip the Wii U. I don't think this is really surprising at this point, nor is it really bad news I guess. When PS4 and Xbox come out maybe current-gen multiplatforms will be more abundant for the Wii U.

It is not surprising but it is bad news and I don't share your optimistic view that somehow PS4/Xbox3 titles will get ported when current titles don't. AAA will just skip Nintendo again this generation, for better or for worse.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Wii U is pretty much hosed. I don't think there's any debate on that. Still looking forward to the first party games though.

e: hosed not in a "it's a financial failure" but hosed with third party support. Maybe hosed in a "it's a financial failure" sense too but it's too early to say that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Buy BF4 for a PC and hope they don't start chopping features when it comes time to make it run on consoles like what happened last time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Wii U is pretty much hosed. I don't think there's any debate on that. Still looking forward to the first party games though.

e: hosed not in a "it's a financial failure" but hosed with third party support. Maybe hosed in a "it's a financial failure" sense too but it's too early to say that.

Yeah, I hope the sluggish numbers don't frighten people into avoiding the system. All of their consoles have survived just fine regardless of struggles, except for the Virtual Boy, which was shelved fairly soon after release.

I don't think we have to worry about Nintendo making GBS threads themselves in terror and burying the remaining consoles.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

That Turkey Story posted:

I'm thinking about getting this charging station. It seems to be reviewed highly -- my only problem with it is that it charges the game pad and 2 Wii remotes rather than 4. Has anyone released a similar product that charges 4 remotes and the gamepad? It seems like something that many people would buy, but I can't find one. Should I just hold out until one is inevitably released?

Energizer also sells a "matching" base that only charges two wiimotes.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Legdiian posted:

Energizer also sells a "matching" base that only charges two wiimotes.

Yeah, but I already have a 4 controller induction charger that I bought years ago, I just want to consolidate and minimize wires. A single charging station for all controllers that doesn't take up too much room and that only has 1 wire would be ideal. If that's not an option yet, I'll probably just wait until it is... unless of course the system goes the way of the virtual boy before then.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If we want to get into that whole EA/Nintendo soured relationship rumor again, Battlefield 4 skipping Wii U is unsurprising. Is EA publishing anything on a Nintendo console in the known future?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

FPzero posted:

If we want to get into that whole EA/Nintendo soured relationship rumor again, Battlefield 4 skipping Wii U is unsurprising. Is EA publishing anything on a Nintendo console in the known future?

Last thing was NFSMWU. Irregardless of if that rumor were true (it can't all be true, way too fantasy wankish) clearly something happened that set EA on a 'gently caress em, gently caress em' hard track'. Going from E3 2011 where they sit there and are all "IMAGINE! Battlefield on the WiiU's groundbreaking controller!" to "No, but we'll put it out on every other console out and coming out." Between that and full priced ME 3 at launch when the TRILOGY was coming out on everything else, shittiest port of Madden, shittiest last year port of Fifa with roster update only, No Madden this year (although probably next), Scrapping Crysis 3 on it because of (crumbling business relations) even though it was running and some off the radar title cancels even prior to any sales numbers had been out. Something smells just wish someone would come out and say what it was.

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
So, a bunch of news coming from GDC! First off, HTML5 and Javascript supported for Wii U games and apps! It's apparently pretty easy to do too. Along with easy porting of iOS games! Makes it MUCH easier for indies to get their games on the eShop it looks like. If Nintendo can't get the big third-parties, then it looks like they're going to try and get everyone else at least.

Also, phone and web Miiverses coming in May, 3DS one is later. It's kinda weird but also makes sense that they wanna do the 3DS one last. The real interesting bit about it to me is that you can do doodles from the web/mobiles versions too. Makes me think you might not even need a Wii U to join Miiverse, maybe you'll be able to just make a NNID there?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Commissar Ken posted:

Last thing was NFSMWU. Irregardless of if that rumor were true (it can't all be true, way too fantasy wankish) clearly something happened that set EA on a 'gently caress em, gently caress em' hard track'. Going from E3 2011 where they sit there and are all "IMAGINE! Battlefield on the WiiU's groundbreaking controller!" to "No, but we'll put it out on every other console out and coming out." Between that and full priced ME 3 at launch when the TRILOGY was coming out on everything else, shittiest port of Madden, shittiest last year port of Fifa with roster update only, No Madden this year (although probably next), Scrapping Crysis 3 on it because of (crumbling business relations) even though it was running and some off the radar title cancels even prior to any sales numbers had been out. Something smells just wish someone would come out and say what it was.

Wasn't EA not sure on the Wii U specs so it decided to sit the launch year out? The Madden and FIFA games were pretty much ps2 ports. Crysis 3 was pulled by Crytek, because they didn't know what was up with the relations. I can see how BF4 not being on Wii U is kind of a big deal, but it was in the works for the other systems before Wii U was announced.

But John Riccitiello is gone, so maybe? It's funny looking up articles where people are dogging the Wii U sports sales, not taking in to account, how terribly done they were. I mean, that's what companies do all the time, but it's like they have a huge hate-on for Nintendo right now.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cuboidal 64 posted:

So, a bunch of news coming from GDC! First off, HTML5 and Javascript supported for Wii U games and apps! It's apparently pretty easy to do too. Along with easy porting of iOS games! Makes it MUCH easier for indies to get their games on the eShop it looks like. If Nintendo can't get the big third-parties, then it looks like they're going to try and get everyone else at least.

Also, phone and web Miiverses coming in May, 3DS one is later. It's kinda weird but also makes sense that they wanna do the 3DS one last. The real interesting bit about it to me is that you can do doodles from the web/mobiles versions too. Makes me think you might not even need a Wii U to join Miiverse, maybe you'll be able to just make a NNID there?

When the hell are we going to be able to make eShop purchases on other devices like they said.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

The way I figure it. Worst it will be is another GameCube. Which I was completely satisfied with until years later when the internet informed me it was a failure. (Long live GameCube controller)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Bombadilillo posted:

The way I figure it. Worst it will be is another GameCube. Which I was completely satisfied with until years later when the internet informed me it was a failure. (Long live GameCube controller)

:hfive:

Seriously, I'd be okay with another GameCube. Not thrilled, mind you, but I have a 3DS, PC, PS3, and I'll probably pick up a PS4 at some point during the next gen. It's not like I'm going to be hurting for games on the whole.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Artix posted:

:hfive:

Seriously, I'd be okay with another GameCube. Not thrilled, mind you, but I have a 3DS, PC, PS3, and I'll probably pick up a PS4 at some point during the next gen. It's not like I'm going to be hurting for games on the whole.

Yeah 360/ps4 will inch closer to pc's with a possible steambox to shakeup the balance. Nintendo will still be a unique experience I refuse to miss while letting the rest of the consoles so their thing battle for my business.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I'm still hoping I can avoid having to get another console, since the whole PC/3DS/Wii U/Tablet combo has the advantage that they're all self-contained(ok I guess the PS4 is too if you have a Vita) and I don't need to fight the family for the TV or sequester myself in another room. I'm actually now wondering how much of a factor that'll be this gen, I can't be alone in that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Wii U will be a success for me as soon as someone writes an app that streams my PC screen to the gamepad. Then I'll run Dolphin on it :getin:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Speaking of streaming is there any app to stream video files from a computer? Basically use the wiiU as a media PC. I know the PS3 and Xbox360 can do it (I think the PS3 needs some special software on the computer but that's fine). Netflix is nice but sometimes its nice to just stream your Amazon video stuff you already downloaded. I guess it does support streaming from Amazon already, but I like to have a nice list of files and just hit random and have something "random" come on that I know I'll like because I already payed for it and still have the file.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Can someone plug in a regular pair of headphones into their gamepad and verify for me that it snaps in properly and you get sound out of your phones? I just want some confirmation before I call Nintendo to replace my gamepad.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Can someone plug in a regular pair of headphones into their gamepad and verify for me that it snaps in properly and you get sound out of your phones? I just want some confirmation before I call Nintendo to replace my gamepad.

My headphones work fine, I tried Apple and Gamescom brand.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pixaal posted:

Speaking of streaming is there any app to stream video files from a computer? Basically use the wiiU as a media PC. I know the PS3 and Xbox360 can do it (I think the PS3 needs some special software on the computer but that's fine). Netflix is nice but sometimes its nice to just stream your Amazon video stuff you already downloaded. I guess it does support streaming from Amazon already, but I like to have a nice list of files and just hit random and have something "random" come on that I know I'll like because I already payed for it and still have the file.

I use Plex on the Wii U without any issues, it's very easy to set up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I tried both my sets and they both work fine.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Push really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Spectracide posted:

Push really hard.

Son of a bitch... :psyduck:

I honestly didn't want to do that if I was gonna call Nintendo. But poo poo, it works now, thanks.

• Locked thread