Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wario In Real Life posted:

YOU SHOULD BE THANKING ME.

What was the highest score you were able to get while beta testing with 3 stars? I'm sure some dude in Japan will have 3k by the end of the weekend.

Hmm don't remember. At least 3,000 something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

waste of internet posted:

PLEASE! Someone save me from Megapolis! It's loving horrible but here I am, playing it! The graphics are easily the best part, because they remind me of Sim City, but I'm obviously going nowhere, fast, because I'm not about to spend a single dime on IAP.

It's basically just an art game, for me. I add/delete/move buildings around, while taking a poo poo. I'd pay $20 for a game with the same art style, minus the money farm aspect.

Basically, I wanna create a city, develop roads and have sex with trains.

I would suggest Virtual City or Townsmen. Virtual City has a free version and a 2.99 full version. It has IAP to buy cash but cash is the only currency in the game and would be rather pointless to buy. It's a bit annoying because you have to play through the levels to unlock buildings. It's probably what you are looking for. Townsmen is free but there is a banner ad you can pay .99 to disable. Townsmen reminds me of a simplified Anno 16whatever.

Actually I'm not sure why more people don't play Townsmen. It has a very charming art style, is free, and its an honest-to-god town builder. I'd say if you liked Pixel People you would definitely like Townsmen.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 27, 2013

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I've been holding off upgrading Pixel People until I can stockpile enough $ with the building move hack to cheese through the 55 new jobs. Currently have about $1.5 billion. Any educated guesses on how much I'd need to generate enough utonium for all the land expansions and splicing speed ups using the heart accelerator? 3-4 billion?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Having a really hard time beating Castle 1 in Nimble Quest. The enemies come way too quickly to handle without getting overwhelmed. Am I supposed to be leveling up all of my dudes in order to progress, or am I just bad at the game?

And a related question, is there somewhere that describes how each character attacks? It seems the melee dudes will only swipe at someone if they're right in front of them.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Having a really hard time beating Castle 1 in Nimble Quest. The enemies come way too quickly to handle without getting overwhelmed. Am I supposed to be leveling up all of my dudes in order to progress, or am I just bad at the game?

And a related question, is there somewhere that describes how each character attacks? It seems the melee dudes will only swipe at someone if they're right in front of them.

Castle 1 is the first big roadblock for most people (or at least it was during the beta.) Using buffs helps, and yes, so does leveling up your dudes. Leveling up the powerups also helps a lot, too, it's not the most obvious power increase since they all just increase the time they last, but they really help.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

robodex posted:

Castle 1 is the first big roadblock for most people (or at least it was during the beta.) Using buffs helps, and yes, so does leveling up your dudes. Leveling up the powerups also helps a lot, too, it's not the most obvious power increase since they all just increase the time they last, but they really help.

People were getting stuck on Courtyard more than Castle I think.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

eeenmachine posted:

People were getting stuck on Courtyard more than Castle I think.

Yeah Courtyard was the sticking point. Healers! Those lance jerks! etc.

If I remember right the trick that got me through Castle was learning if an enemy fireball or similar AOE hits your snake, it does a flat X damage, but that damage is spread across the number of people it hits. So if it hits 5 guys, each person in your snake takes 20% of X instead of all 5 taking 100% of X.

Unless this is totally wrong? Either way, it worked for me! I kept my group clustered up (make S-turns always and forever) and ended up just smacking Castle pretty hard once I got through Courtyard.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Final Fantasy V is out in NZ, will be US $16.99 according to TA. No idea what price point that will be in the UK, £9.99 maybe?!

quote:

Return to the classic medieval tale of magic, monsters and friendship with FINAL FANTASY V!

Twenty years after the original FINAL FANTASY V released in Japan, the classic RPG has found its way to mobile devices!

Embark on an epic adventure as four heroes driven together by fate: Bartz and his chocobo companion, Princess Lenna of Castle Tycoon, the mysterious Galuf, and the pirate captain Faris. The crystals that bring peace and prosperity to the world – earth, water, fire, and wind – have lost their power and are on the verge of destruction.

•Customize characters with an unprecedented degree of freedom with the job and ability system – 26 unique job classes!

•Veteran character designer Kazuko Shibuya has returned to recreate the characters and graphics for a completely enhanced mobile experience!

•Touch-screen controls and active-time battle system are optimized for fluid combat on mobile devices

•This new version also includes “The Sealed Temple” from the 2006 release, as well as the Tetsuya Nomura-designed optional boss Enuo, and an extraordinary soundtrack

•Game Center support and plenty of achievements to be earned.

There's also a tie-in with Guardian Cross for those still playing that.

Looks like Magicka has popped up as well, I never tried it on the PC but they kept churning out addons and DLC so it must have done reasonably well. Expected to be $1.99 when it launches tonight.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 27, 2013

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

make it a sequel to nimble quest and instead of conga lines of RPG dudes it's rogue trains finally freed from the bounds of their tracks

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ghostlight posted:

What have you doooonnneeeeeee???

This game is crack. Crack that I can smoke while wearing my tiny island's home team's colours and buying energy drinks.

I don't even like soccer and now I'm stuck trying to build the career of Madagascar teen sensation Afro Megaton. My 99 cents! :argh:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I kept getting stuck on the Depths. Couldn't handle the fire. Once I beat it, I blazed through all the levels after it though (cept for the level to get the Hydra character). Since i beat it, now I always skip it since I won so many coins from those events.

But yeah I'd say it's about 80% buy upgrades/level up, and 20% don't run into walls/enemies.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 27, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yay FF5 and universal. Wonder what the achievements are.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Knowing SE and their :effort:

Master knight
Master monk
Master white Mage
Master black Mage
Master thief
Etc
Beat game
Get 99999999999999 gold

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
With the new Pixel People update, I decided to give Chillingo's new He-Man game a try as well. It's actually pretty well drawn, and there's a lot of cheeky, self-referential humor in it.
It's a shame it's a platformer with touch-screen controls :(

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Play through the entire game with the main character named "Butz".

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Poor showing you guys. I absolutely expect to overtake TA once it's actually released.

Also you should be able to see usernames in the score list as well as check out the top 10 from the other guilds.

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
Downloading Nimble Quest now (Australian app store).

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Fazana posted:

Final Fantasy V is out in NZ, will be US $16.99 according to TA. No idea what price point that will be in the UK, £9.99 maybe?!

There's also a tie-in with Guardian Cross for those still playing that.

Looks like Magicka has popped up as well, I never tried it on the PC but they kept churning out addons and DLC so it must have done reasonably well. Expected to be $1.99 when it launches tonight.

So before somebody posted that the FF III and IV ports were basically hard mode. Is this also true for FFV? I saw that the sprites had been changed (they look horrible, but I'd be willing to overlook that) but how is the difficulty?

empiremonkey
Nov 13, 2005

"You have reach the max number of planes."

Poor showing you guys. I absolutely expect to overtake TA once it's actually released.

Also you should be able to see usernames in the score list as well as check out the top 10 from the other guilds.

You should be able to see the names of your Game Center friends.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
WELL I DONT HAVE ANY FRIENDS SO HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SEE ANY NAMES???

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would suggest Virtual City or Townsmen. Virtual City has a free version and a 2.99 full version. It has IAP to buy cash but cash is the only currency in the game and would be rather pointless to buy. It's a bit annoying because you have to play through the levels to unlock buildings. It's probably what you are looking for. Townsmen is free but there is a banner ad you can pay .99 to disable. Townsmen reminds me of a simplified Anno 16whatever.

Actually I'm not sure why more people don't play Townsmen. It has a very charming art style, is free, and its an honest-to-god town builder. I'd say if you liked Pixel People you would definitely like Townsmen.

I just tries townsmen. The premise is interesting, but buying IAP to speed up the game is a deal breaker. If I buy the premium game will I still need to pay to speed up?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LPG Giant posted:

So before somebody posted that the FF III and IV ports were basically hard mode. Is this also true for FFV? I saw that the sprites had been changed (they look horrible, but I'd be willing to overlook that) but how is the difficulty?

There is no such thing as FF5 HardMode unless you restrict yourself from playing most classes. Even then you'll still break the game open unless you're playing 4 berserkers.

e: Saying the sprites look bad is an understatement. That they simply took the FFD characters and made minor (very minor) tweaks to them is really loving obvious. I mean, the new Penny Arcade RPG's sprites look like they were made using Locke/Edgar sprites but these look like someone did the changes in an afternoon, while drinking heavily.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 28, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hobbes24 posted:

I just tries townsmen. The premise is interesting, but buying IAP to speed up the game is a deal breaker. If I buy the premium game will I still need to pay to speed up?

Premium is just ad free and some virtual currency. I don't think it's worth it. It ain't great but its pretty good compared to the vast majority of stuff out there. I guess people play Tribez too? It always crashes my poor little iPod touch so I can't comment.

Half the problem is finding the games to begin with. The App Store is so atrocious that it makes finding anything impossible unless you already know what you are looking for. Eventually I just started typing in words that sounded good like 'city' or 'town' or whatever. Then you go through hundreds of games, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with the word at all and then option 200 will be a game that actually has the word in the title. Did you know there's a game called Small Street that is identical to Tiny Tower except instead of a tower it's a street, and instead of an elevator it's a taxi. I also remember playing some kind of kart racer once and all the levels were ripped straight from Mario Kart Wii.

I've imagined some parallel universe where this type of market existed when the first NES hit the streets. Pay .99 to unlock the Konami Code! Or having to buy each turtle in TMNT.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

WELL I DONT HAVE ANY FRIENDS SO HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SEE ANY NAMES???

I'm the one with 59. :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Liking NimbleQuest so far, although I've only played a handful of games.

How do I join the SomethingAwful guild?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So uhhh...

https://everyplay.com/videos/34995

This guy has 40k tokens (skip to the end)... Hack?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

webmeister posted:

Liking NimbleQuest so far, although I've only played a handful of games.

How do I join the SomethingAwful guild?

Just type the name in (minus the hashtag) in the join Guild button which is in the Arena menus. (possibly after your first game?)

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

So uhhh...

https://everyplay.com/videos/34995

This guy has 40k tokens (skip to the end)... Hack?

Probably.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
NimbleQuest! Yay... wait, I can't find it. Is it out in the US store? Also, are there any decent RTS games?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SquadronROE posted:

NimbleQuest! Yay... wait, I can't find it. Is it out in the US store? Also, are there any decent RTS games?

It should be within a few hours.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

SquadronROE posted:

Not until later tonight. Warfare Inc.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Guess we really shouldn't have put a space in the name... or at least made nimblequest one of the search keywords.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Feenix posted:

Just type the name in (minus the hashtag) in the join Guild button which is in the Arena menus. (possibly after your first game?)

Ah, that's where it is. I haven't made it far enough to unlock the Arena yet. Thanks!

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

eeenmachine posted:

Guess we really shouldn't have put a space in the name... or at least made nimblequest one of the search keywords.

Nah, it's not that, I just searched for it with a space and got nothing

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SquadronROE posted:

Red Alert 2 is on sale. Whether you would consider it a decent RTS or not I don't know.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
:australia:

At work, but grabbed Nimble Quest from the app store. Took a 15 min toilet break and am happy to report that this is the first Nimblebit game since Dizzypad that I've really liked. Hooray!

I've joined #somethingawful as RedShirty.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

LPG Giant posted:

Nope There has never been a FFV that had its difficulty changed. in the gba version they even added new classes albeit at the end of the game where you would no longer care. FFV is fun, and pretty easy. It is easily one of my favorite final fantasys.

And good god those sprites are terrible, why would they do that? They spent extra effort to make the game worse.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 28, 2013

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh hey, Nimble Quest is out on the UK store. Not that anybody will be dumb enough to still be up at 2AM to know about it... :ninja:

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

TACD posted:

Oh hey, Nimble Quest is out on the UK store. Not that anybody will be dumb enough to still be up at 2AM to know about it... :ninja:

It's been out since about 2340 but nobody would be dumb enough to have played it non stop since then... :ninja:

On this subject do the level up bonuses apply to guys even if they're not my leader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So FFV, if I wanted to play a FF on my phone/iPad, is the one?

• Locked thread