Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Coca Koala posted:

Now that Disney has the rights, it's possible that we'll see it? I dunno.

According to popular opinion: imagine a gigantic monolith with a single eye that eternally drips blood. The monolith has two big round ears.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think "Puberty" would be a fitting title for this kind of game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wrote in "Heartwarming Adventure With No Dull Bits" in the survey. Don't know how good a name this is, but it's better than most of the suggestions.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/311950126111391745

Hm, apparently Tim narrowed it down - I was kinda hoping he was just collecting ideas and would end up picking himself.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Carver posted:

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/311950126111391745

Hm, apparently Tim narrowed it down - I was kinda hoping he was just collecting ideas and would end up picking himself.

But that's not None of the Above :(

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ugh he actually listened to the forums and added "The Divide" and "Worlds Apart"? Those are two of the most generic names you could think of. Hopefully this is still just early brainstorming and he's cooking up something really good.

Although I couldn't think of a thing so what do I know. "Small Offerings" sounds the best to me for some reason.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Honestly, I don't like ANY of the names. They're all pretty dull and vanilla.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Broken Age sounds like a generic sword and sorcery fantasy title and both forum suggestions are possibly even more generic than that.

Guess I'm voting for Small Offerings even though I don't think it has anything to do with the boy's story.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eh, I think Worlds Apart was probably best of the lot. It's not remarkable, but hey, it's a video game title. 99% of them are uninspired. It's surprisingly difficult to put a really good label on a creative work. Worlds Apart is at least descriptive and isn't outwardly bad or anything.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I too am not really thrilled with any of the options.

On the other hand someone on the DFA forums suggested Twice Upon a Time, which kind of owns.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Broken Age is too similar to Broken Sword, another classic point-and-click adventure game series that just had a successful kickstarter.

Voted for Worlds Apart, but I am a bit disappointed in the bland name selection.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Giggily posted:

On the other hand someone on the DFA forums suggested Twice Upon a Time, which kind of owns.

No, this is bad as my joke suggestion, A Tale of Two Kiddies.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

Honestly, I don't like ANY of the names. They're all pretty dull and vanilla.

Same, I just don't really get why it even came up. I guess it's all kickstarter-community-input blah blah blah, but Tim just grim fandango'ing it would've been fine.

It's not like he has a bad record for naming or something.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Pyradox posted:

Guess I'm voting for Small Offerings even though I don't think it has anything to do with the boy's story.

I'm betting it has more to do with it than we know, seeing as they picked it. Anyway, that was my choice as well. Wasn't my favorite but I agree with the fella who pointed out that it fits well with Bagel's art. The others are completely forgettable and generic.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Apparently Tim picked a name a few days ago but never told anyone outside the thread or updated his OP. Here's what he decided:

Tim Schafer posted:

Thanks for all the input, backers!

You guys really seem to like World's Apart. Like really, really. But like I said, I don't know if I can deal with that one since it's been used so many times in so many ways. The second most popular is Broken Age (#1 in the first poll) and that was a suggestion by Lee Petty, and I do like it be cause it stands for many things: the broken society in which they live, and the awkward age of the protagonists, and how they are breaking free of tradition.

Naming something like this after it's already been in production a while is very hard because you have had so much time to get used to it under another name, or no name. And doing it in public is a new and unique experience to be sure! People talk about a "Grim Fandango" moment, but let me tell you, the first person I told that name to said, "I hate it." A lot of people did. But I got it in there early so it had time to grow on people. If I had called that game "The Last Fiesta" for a year, and then switched it to "Grim Fandango" people would have thought I was nuts. So who knows.

There's always that feeling that the perfect name is right out there, just out of reach. And it's impossible to know if that's just an illusion. But the only way I can think of to test it out is to call the game "Broken Age" for a while. After two or three months, one of two things will happen: Either that other, amazing, perfect name will show up and we'll all know it, or it will feel like Broken Age was the name of the game forever, and there never was another possibility.

So I'm going to try that for a while. Who knows? In two months it could totally change. But you all definitely helped me figure some stuff out. And you also reminded me how much I disliked the band "Saga." :)

Thanks, Backers!

So there you have it - Reds is now Broken Age.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Broken Age seems to be the name of some weird German browser game that is just a broken website. Shouldn't be a problem but you know what happened last time they ran afoul of European copyright.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's a pretty awful name and Tim Schafer should know better.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Clearly we've just had another Grim Fandango moment.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I can totally see Broken Age being something the Dragon Age 3 appreciation thread will be taking as their own, soon.

That being said, what a terrible name. Oh well, not that big a deal for now.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Just saw a link to an official site. Pretty barebones at the moment.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cloud Potato posted:

Just saw a link to an official site. Pretty barebones at the moment.
I love the artwork. Following the video updates gives you an appreciation for the style and everything that's gone into it.

"Broken Age" as a name still isn't doing much for me. Maybe it'll feel better with time, they definitely seemed to have decided on it at this point.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Eh, I think it's fine. It's evocative of the game's themes and it doesn't strike me as too corny. I don't expect greatness from a title, it's just nice when you do get it.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I love the artwork. Following the video updates gives you an appreciation for the style and everything that's gone into it.

"Broken Age" as a name still isn't doing much for me. Maybe it'll feel better with time, they definitely seemed to have decided on it at this point.

It also has the benefit of ranking highly in search engines because it's not used for anything else, something I'm sure they also took into account.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oh hey I chose Broken Age. :3:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Once I saw the name in the font they chose, I saw it was fine.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Fun fact: The description was written and the site was uploaded during the PAX East Double Fine panel.

I've been really bad at keeping up with the Kickstarter updates because they all go to an account I don't check often, but after going to the panel I think I'll catch up when I get back home.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

The teaser trailer that will be shown after the Game Developers Choice Awards tonight has just gone up on the backer's forum.

I'm not convinced by what they've cut together for the trailer, but it's nice to finally see things up close.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Oh man... Those visuals. No matter what this game is gonna look amazing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think that looks outstanding. The animation alone is incredibly well-done. All my misgivings about the name are suddenly no longer important.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Fun fact: The description was written and the site was uploaded during the PAX East Double Fine panel.

I was in the room for that, it was probably the most amusing part of the panel.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Thought the music on the trailer was a really good fit too

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Game is officially called Broken Age.

http://www.brokenagegame.com/

Edit: Oh. Old news :downs:

404notfound fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 16, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
New episode, Tim really lost a lot of weight :stare:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ron Gilbert is awesome.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Megazver posted:

Ron Gilbert is awesome.

I thought Ron was really awkward, I got the feeling he didn't really want to be there and he never really connected with the people at Double Fine. The way he just went "nope, no speech" kind of told me he didn't know any of the people there. Everything with Ron was super awkward.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I thought Ron was really awkward, I got the feeling he didn't really want to be there and he never really connected with the people at Double Fine. The way he just went "nope, no speech" kind of told me he didn't know any of the people there. Everything with Ron was super awkward.

That's just a part of his hella grumpy charm. :colbert:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Demiurge4 posted:

I got the same feeling. I mean seriously dude?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The GameInformer article by the guy we saw in the recent episode is now online. Careful, though - it is a bit spoilery, describing some puzzles, objectives and characters in Cloud Colony. I ended up only skimming it quickly.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
There's a new DoubleFine Humble Bundle going on, all of their main games are now Linux and OSX compatible! You get Broken Age when you pledge $35 or more and a shirt when you do $70 or more. https://www.humblebundle.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Blodskur posted:

There's a new DoubleFine Humble Bundle going on, all of their main games are now Linux and OSX compatible! You get Broken Age when you pledge $35 or more and a shirt when you do $70 or more. https://www.humblebundle.com

I've never used this, how does it work? If I donate anything at all, I get the first 3 games on the list? And if I donate more than the average, I get Brutal Legend as well?

I ask because Psychonauts on Mac OS X costs around $9.99, and even at donating then average, that's still cheaper, and you get more games.

• Locked thread