Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

How does the combo list work? I made an Oxygen Supply one time and the name changed from "??????" to "Oxygen Supply", but then later on it went back to "what will this do??????? :aaa:" for the exact same list entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, some questions:

What is a wyvern gem? I need it and some blue thing (I dont know what it is either) to upgrade the water sword I got for defeating Ceadeus.

How do I reliably get monster fluid? I just need one loving more to upgrade a dragon weapon and all the d. island cave/tundra giggis drop are velvety hides and giggi extract.

Wyvern gem drops semi-rarely from high rank wyverns. I've found a few off plesioth.

Giggis definitely drop monster fluid. Try the ones in the tundra.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Someone join my room Free Play 02/Lobby 07/G. Ceadeus

Doing a round robin for picking quests.

Seemenaked fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 28, 2013

Lot
Oct 28, 2007
So I've been playing nothing but switchaxe up to HR5 and loving it, but then I tasted the glory of hunting horn. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the different types of songs. Can any hunting horn pros out there tell me if any songs are must have? It seems like the healing song is the best, but then I have to use a lower rank weapon.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Yes! Finally got a second Rathalos Plate after 12 tries. Time to forge the Rathalos Faulds:black101:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

How does the combo list work? I made an Oxygen Supply one time and the name changed from "??????" to "Oxygen Supply", but then later on it went back to "what will this do??????? :aaa:" for the exact same list entry.

Sounds like you didn't save or something.

tip: hold down A to rapidly make a bunch of an item.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bussamove posted:

Zinogre can be a bit of a pain too, he tends to hold his head just out of reach unless he's doing his spaz-out acrobatic attacks.

Zin's head, at least in p3rd, was just low enough to be able to be hit by all the x hammer attacks unless it was a really big one.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ignimbrite posted:

Zin's head, at least in p3rd, was just low enough to be able to be hit by all the x hammer attacks unless it was a really big one.

It might be a bit easier for hammer, then. I've had a hell of a time with horn because the bread and butter X>A>X>A>etc combo swings fairly low, and superpound has a bit of a windup. I've ended up just using lance against him more often than not.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I AM CARVALLO posted:

So was there ever a WiiU bundle released in the US? I can't really seem to find anything about it.

Just Japan and Europe at this point. The only similar bundle out now is the ZombiU one. Capcom has made no announcement for NA.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Of course. Why would they.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It'd make me buy a Wii U.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It worked on me! At least it's not Namco Bandai where calls for them to release games overseas gets met with "everyone who we want to buy it already imports it, that's just needless work"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Now that I've finished all the one-star and two-star village quests, when should I start doing the port quests? I know they're "group" quests, but can I solo them?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
If you are just playing solo, i'd recommend doing the whole village quests, as they are better balanced for solo play, and naturally progress you through upgrading the farm and companions, which I don't think you can do at the port. My plan, which I used in freedom unite was to basically exhaust the village totally before blazing through the low/high rank guild quests to get access to g-rank.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Now that I've finished all the one-star and two-star village quests, when should I start doing the port quests? I know they're "group" quests, but can I solo them?

Yes, you can, theoretically. You could have started in the offline, if you wanted. The village quests give you a lot more chances to build up a good supply of materials and items, though, and improving the farm will help keep you alive if you're soloing online.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

You can, but you probably SHOULDN'T.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kiggles and Aeroson: Let's do the HR5 progression quests tomorrow afternoon and start farming not-brach/azurelos?

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

Lot posted:

So I've been playing nothing but switchaxe up to HR5 and loving it, but then I tasted the glory of hunting horn. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the different types of songs. Can any hunting horn pros out there tell me if any songs are must have? It seems like the healing song is the best, but then I have to use a lower rank weapon.
Negate stamina use is basically the best spell in a group. Attack boost is probably the best solo spell. Depending on the weapons others have, attack boost might be better in a group situationally.

I don't actually find healing that good. Like, if you need healing all the time, potions are faster and more reliable. If you don't need healing all the time, why waste a song on it? The only way I see it being super useful is if your teammates are bad.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I'm thinking of trying out Bows and checked my forge to see what I had materials for. I can make a Arko Nulo, Type 64 Multibow, or a Queen Blaster. Anyone who uses Bows have a recommendation as to which to forge? It seems like a choice between elemental damage, physical damage, or status effects respectively (just glancing at the bow stats without knowing how they actually work in practice).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when applying status effects with a bow does it matter how many times you hit or how hard you hit per shot?
If I spend one poison coating with a spread shot does it count 3 hits of poison or just one?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Can I only use the weapons once during the Ceadus fight?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Level Slide posted:

Can I only use the weapons once during the Ceadus fight?

You can use the Dragonator (the giant spear) once every 10 minutes. You can use the ballista as long as you have ammo for it.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
Since it's Question Hour, are the monster's sleeping, eating, etc. having them recover health? Do monsters naturally heal over time? I'm asking in case I just run out of poo poo and want to know how much progress I lose if I hoof it back to base for a nap.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Since it's Question Hour, are the monster's sleeping, eating, etc. having them recover health? Do monsters naturally heal over time? I'm asking in case I just run out of poo poo and want to know how much progress I lose if I hoof it back to base for a nap.

When they get to low health and limp off to sleep, that will slowly heal them. When they go off to eat, it's because they're exhausted (drooling, moving slower, dealing less damage, falling over and so on) and eating will recover their stamina. Some monsters do other things to recover stamina, like Ludroth will dive into the water to reinflate his sponge, and all monsters get a stamina refill when they go into rage mode.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm pretty sure monsters regain health while sleeping, but only regain stamina while eating.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
Good to know, thanks guys.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
And when monsters sleep, they don't recover a lot of their HP, usually it's just enough to put them back near the capturable / not capturable cutoff.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I inputted 6 hauls in the fish charm table app in the OP and there is no indication of what table I am on. Is there a button I need to press? I only see "clear"

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
If there is not a clear indication, then send out the boat on more trips and enter more results until it becomes clear.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fauxtool posted:

I inputted 6 hauls in the fish charm table app in the OP and there is no indication of what table I am on. Is there a button I need to press? I only see "clear"

Is there a single category that's got a hit every time?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So have you guys seen Athena's Fish Finder or are we already using that? I just stumbled upon it and wondered to myself why I'm even attempting to use the site now.

e: checked the OP like I should have. My bad!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The_North posted:

I don't actually find healing that good. Like, if you need healing all the time, potions are faster and more reliable. If you don't need healing all the time, why waste a song on it? The only way I see it being super useful is if your teammates are bad.

When a monster leaves for another area, you can take a bit of time to heal up your party, saving them some potions.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, say I've got a water greatsword, and I'm fighting a monster not weak to water, do I just get the normal damage or does the water stat hurt me in anyway?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I believe you're only doing the raw weapon damage at that point.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Fauxtool posted:

If you're using fish finders on your hauls and they're clearing out all the tables, try a few without fish finders and see if that helps. I just tried mine and got table 6 that way, whereas when I was trying it with fish finders, it would clear out every table.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Shlapintogan posted:

So have you guys seen Athena's Fish Finder or are we already using that? I just stumbled upon it and wondered to myself why I'm even attempting to use the site now.

e: checked the OP like I should have. My bad!

Finally, I get to see what my loving charm table is!

...I got 7. I was going for ten. Guess I hosed up royally. Oh well, as long as it's not cursed.

Ayss
Jul 11, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

I'm thinking of trying out Bows and checked my forge to see what I had materials for. I can make a Arko Nulo, Type 64 Multibow, or a Queen Blaster. Anyone who uses Bows have a recommendation as to which to forge? It seems like a choice between elemental damage, physical damage, or status effects respectively (just glancing at the bow stats without knowing how they actually work in practice).

I'm in HR now and using the Queen's Blaster still. I play exclusively multiplayer though so I find playing a support/heavy status effect style just fits me better. I like being able to poison and paralyze. It really just feels like playstyle preference though to me.

It's worth factoring what your charge level shot types are. The Queen's Blaster has me basically hugging enemies like a melee class most of the time to make sure that the spread shots on charge two and three all hit.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, say I've got a water greatsword, and I'm fighting a monster not weak to water, do I just get the normal damage or does the water stat hurt me in anyway?

Water part just does no damage. You are sort of hurting yourself because other weapons at the same rarity/"level" that are of an element the monster is weak to or are just raw will do more damage. There is generally no reason not to make a pure raw weapon for cases such as this.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Machai posted:

Water part just does no damage. You are sort of hurting yourself because other weapons at the same rarity/"level" that are of an element the monster is weak to or are just raw will do more damage. There is generally no reason not to make a pure raw weapon for cases such as this.

But weirdly at the moment from what I can craft, I can make elemental weapons with more raw damage and more sharpness than their raw damage equivalent. Compare the ludroth splashhammer with the war mace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

FirstPersonShitter posted:

But weirdly at the moment from what I can craft, I can make elemental weapons with more raw damage and more sharpness than their raw damage equivalent. Compare the ludroth splashhammer with the war mace.

Yeah - if you have access to literally every weapon Machai's right but there'll always be times where one of your two or three weapons of a given type is going to be better and have elemental that's useless. It's not going to heal them or anything.

• Locked thread