Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Harry Joe posted:

And pretty much everyone else has been using it to describe his listeners for decades.

So he is correct, not only did he create the phrase, he invented the concept and created the population base for it. The logic is sound. Not sure it works in the kind of favor he was looking for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Harry Joe posted:

And pretty much everyone else has been using it to describe his listeners for decades.
The irony is that his listeners believe it.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Crasscrab posted:

If I didn't know any better I'd think that Hannity was doing quite a bit of projecting.

I can absolutely see Sean Hannity loving a blow up doll he keeps hidden in his gun safe to inflate when his wife goes out of town. The only question for me is whether its modelled on Anne Coulter or his old highschool football coach.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Harry Joe posted:

He might not have been the first person to put those three words together in a row, but he has redefined it. Rush has turned "low information voter" into the ultimate euphemism, it means everything wrong with America, every person too stupid or selfish or racist to vote Republican.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

swampland posted:

I can absolutely see Sean Hannity loving a blow up doll he keeps hidden in his gun safe to inflate when his wife goes out of town. The only question for me is whether its modelled on Anne Coulter or his old highschool football coach.

It's modeled after him.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
It seems like every time I get in my car after work, I tune in just in time for Hannity to moan about the Muslim Brotherhood and the President of Egypt thinks Israelis are the descendants of apes and pigs. It is literally the only thing Hannity knows to say about the man, over, and over, and over again.

Also, the Hannity intro to the 4:00 CDT hour cracks me up. There is one bit where some country type is unironically singing "We'll put a boot in your rear end, it's the American way!"

Edit: yesterday hannity said he would buy the White House a Goto Meeting subscription so that Joe and Barry don't have to fly to Europe to do business.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Also, the Hannity intro to the 4:00 CDT hour cracks me up. There is one bit where some country type is unironically singing "We'll put a boot in your rear end, it's the American way!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCha93nBTU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I see that there. posted:

Sean Hannity had a guest on the other day who was giving a workshop on how to talk through sexual issues people deem deviant, such as incest and bestiality.

Before her, he had a caller who was responding to a piece he had done on a nudist resort. Apparently Sean trotted out all the old jokes about nudists, and the caller tried to correct him. The caller identified himself as a conservative and a big fan of Sean's, but Sean couldn't help himself. He had to constantly attempt to rile up the caller by referring to nudist resorts as nudist colonies (which the caller rightly noted made them sound like the were lepers) and he wasn't going to let the caller forget that he thought he was a weirdo and a deviant. I felt bad for the nudist. Here he was asking his hero to lay off, and all his hero could do was lay it on even thicker.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I do find it amusing whenever a conservative deviates outside the small concept of what is an acceptable lifestyle and finds the magnifying glass on them from their own compatriots.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Greg Gutfeld of the Fox talk show The Five gets super pissy about Jim Carrey making fun of Charleston Heston.

Fox Freaks: 'Jim Carrey Has Killed More People Than All the Rifles Combined'

“He is the most pathetic tool on the face of the earth. And I hope his career is dead, and he ends up sleeping in a car the way his life began." :stare:

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 27, 2013

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Spaceman Future! posted:

So he is correct, not only did he create the phrase, he invented the concept and created the population base for it. The logic is sound. Not sure it works in the kind of favor he was looking for though.

Nah, he definitely didn't create it. That has been a political science term for a few decades now. Wikipedia has it as "American pollster and political scientist Samuel Popkin coined the term "low-information" in 1991 when he used the phrase "low-information signaling" in his book The Reasoning Voter: Communication and Persuasion in Presidential Campaigns."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How in the world had Jim Carey killed more people than rifles? Through anti-vax advocacy?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

He is the most pathetic tool on the face of the earth

- Greg Gutfeld, while on his regular job where his set has something he's repeatedly referred to as a "leg chair" so female guests legs will show up in the wide shot.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Wow, Rush just went on a long tirade about people collecting disability benefits. Why aren't these people included in the unemployment statistics? Why can't they provide for themselves? His evidence was 25% of people in a single county in Bumfuck, AL were on disability. :wtc:

With regards to the 'low information voter' shtick, I honestly think it's a clever way for him to get away with calling his own listeners idiots without explicitly saying so. Right after the election he was using 'people who disagree with me' and 'independent voters/republicans who are now independents' interchangeably, but now he has settled on using it for anyone that disagrees with him. In fact he had someone call in last week that he called out as 'low information' whom was none the wiser that he was being insulted.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

greatn posted:

How in the world had Jim Carey killed more people than rifles? Through anti-vax advocacy?

His anti-vax bullshit with Jenny McCarthy pissed me off, what it's a real stretch to try and make a comparison there.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sounds like Rush has been listening to the hyper liberal NPR this week.

Crasscrab posted:

Greg Gutfeld of the Fox talk show The Five gets super pissy about Jim Carrey making fun of Charleston Heston.

Fox Freaks: 'Jim Carrey Has Killed More People Than All the Rifles Combined'

“He is the most pathetic tool on the face of the earth. And I hope his career is dead, and he ends up sleeping in a car the way his life began." :stare:

For all their bluster about being big tough guy American cowboy stereotypes, they really are the biggest whiny pansies whenever they get made fun of or have their opinions dis-proven.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

kik2dagroin posted:

Wow, Rush just went on a long tirade about people collecting disability benefits. Why aren't these people included in the unemployment statistics? Why can't they provide for themselves? His evidence was 25% of people in a single county in Bumfuck, AL were on disability. :wtc:

With regards to the 'low information voter' shtick, I honestly think it's a clever way for him to get away with calling his own listeners idiots without explicitly saying so. Right after the election he was using 'people who disagree with me' and 'independent voters/republicans who are now independents' interchangeably, but now he has settled on using it for anyone that disagrees with him. In fact he had someone call in last week that he called out as 'low information' whom was none the wiser that he was being insulted.

He ripped this directly from this week's This American Life, that was exactly what the episode was about, specifically that county. They concluded these people are on disability because there are no jobs they are qualified for where they wouldn't have to stand all day or lift heavy things. They asked this lady with three herniated disks her dream job, and it was to be the lady at the disability office who weeds people out. Not because she thought she'd be good at it, because it was the only job she had ever seen where the person can sit down all day, and the only one she could conceive of.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It kind of tells you where we are politically as a country when Rush Limbaugh is relying on NPR to make his talking points for him.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Radish posted:

It kind of tells you where we are politically as a country when Rush Limbaugh is relying on NPR to make his talking points for him.

Yeah NPR's really gone downhill.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Radish posted:

Sounds like Rush has been listening to the hyper liberal NPR this week.

For all their bluster about being big tough guy American cowboy stereotypes, they really are the biggest whiny pansies whenever they get made fun of or have their opinions dis-proven.

There's a real big PC movement on the right: you can't criticize Republicans.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mitchicon posted:

His anti-vax bullshit with Jenny McCarthy pissed me off, what it's a real stretch to try and make a comparison there.

He recently disavowed his support for it after he broke up with her.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Crasscrab posted:

He recently disavowed his support for it after he broke up with her.

There was probably a time in my life when I would have pretended to believe whatever if it meant I got to date Jenny McCarthy.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
So Bill O'Reilly called marriage equality opponents "bible thumpers" and said that the proponents have a stronger argument. I know O'Reilly isn't as socially conservative as a lot of other Republican pundits but it's still funny to see someone with such a long history of being a Republican rear end in a top hat turn around and give the middle finger to the majority of his viewership.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/26/bill-oreilly-says-same-sex-marriage-foes-are-just-a-bunch-of-bible-thumpers/

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

There was probably a time in my life when I would have pretended to believe whatever if it meant I got to date Jenny McCarthy.

And you were probably in HS, not a grown man. That being said, I would probably advocate something stupid for a date with Bate Beckinsale. :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MaxxBot posted:

So Bill O'Reilly called marriage equality opponents "bible thumpers" and said that the proponents have a stronger argument. I know O'Reilly isn't as socially conservative as a lot of other Republican pundits but it's still funny to see someone with such a long history of being a Republican rear end in a top hat turn around and give the middle finger to the majority of his viewership.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/26/bill-oreilly-says-same-sex-marriage-foes-are-just-a-bunch-of-bible-thumpers/

You realize that he just says whatever the producers tell him to say right?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
When the argument is "We can't let gays marry because Marriage is about pro-creation, except when it's not and then it's about stopping people from pro-creating with the wrong person" it's not that hard to have a better one.

I would loooooooove to know how the RW usual suspects are floating that one. I'm guessing they aren't even touching it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t89c4k-NYic

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Wait, at the end he says he supports civil unions and seems to think that the states should decide on ssm marriage, how long has he had that position?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Minorities posted:

You realize that he just says whatever the producers tell him to say right?

The producers told him to say that Christianity is exempt from the first amendment because it's a philosophy, not a religion?

platedlizard posted:

Wait, at the end he says he supports civil unions and seems to think that the states should decide on ssm marriage, how long has he had that position?

Perhaps always. The man is a Hollywood conservative. He probably knows and is friends with lots of gay people in the media. Civil unions and "let the states decide" is the "separate but equal" civil rights compromise of our time.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 27, 2013

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Typical Pubbie posted:

The producers told him to say that Christianity is exempt from the first amendment because it's a philosophy, not a religion?

Perhaps always. The man is a Hollywood conservative. He probably knows and is friends with lots of gay people in the media. Civil unions and "let the states decide" is the "separate but equal" civil rights compromise of our time.

So does this mean gay marriages are only worth 3/5 to mine?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MaxxBot posted:

It's been kinda fun watching the word from Ailes or possibly Murdoch filter down through the organization that the gay marriage fight is done with. I think Megyn Kelly was the first to run with it, but now it looks like all of Scoob & the gang are getting on board.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I know we talk about the huckster culture of the GOP but how the gently caress do you spend 3 million dollars and get "Marriage is about procreation, except when it isn't then it's about people not procreating with the wrong people" as your argument in front of the highest court in the land about GAYS, who last time I checked can't really fall under that second category?

Like ignore what's being argued here wouldn't a TRUE CONSERVATIVE be tearing their loving hair out right now watching their tax money being wasted on extremely poor representation for their pet issue?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

Bill is the testing ground for Fox. He's right at the start of the 'oh no this is EDITORIALS not NEWS' section and most people already dislike him, so he has no problem going seamlessly from "THE GAYS ARE DOING CULTURE WAR ON US" to "Man Million Moms is stupid gay marriage is ok".

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

watt par posted:

It's been kinda fun watching the word from Ailes or possibly Murdoch filter down through the organization that the gay marriage fight is done with. I think Megyn Kelly was the first to run with it, but now it looks like all of Scoob & the gang are getting on board.
Yeah, it's pretty clear that the word from on high is to cut their losses on the whole gay marriage thing (same with immigration and amnesty/path to citizenship). Watching various conservative media creatures do a 180 degree shift on this is going to be fun over the next several months - I guess we'll get to see which ones are the creatures of the establishment and which ones are the true believers.

In 10-15 years (maybe sooner) you can bet that you'll be hearing how it was liberals who held up the inevitable tide of gay rights.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
While it isn't the same, until 2012, democrats by and large were holding it up just as much as anyone else. Obviously democrats and liberals are not the same thing of course, but we'll hear Bill Clinton signed this, John Kerry said that, blah blah blah

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

While it isn't the same, until 2012, democrats by and large were holding it up just as much as anyone else. Obviously democrats and liberals are not the same thing of course, but we'll hear Bill Clinton signed this, John Kerry said that, blah blah blah

I'll be a little surprised if I don't hear at least one of them pull out the ol' "Democrats are the Real Bigots/Sexists/Racists" line, yeah. Most eloquently described as projection and less so as "Nuh uh, YOU ARE!".

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

FMguru posted:

Yeah, it's pretty clear that the word from on high is to cut their losses on the whole gay marriage thing (same with immigration and amnesty/path to citizenship). Watching various conservative media creatures do a 180 degree shift on this is going to be fun over the next several months - I guess we'll get to see which ones are the creatures of the establishment and which ones are the true believers.

In 10-15 years (maybe sooner) you can bet that you'll be hearing how it was liberals who held up the inevitable tide of gay rights.

Yup. Conservatives have pretty much officially lost the gay marriage debate at this point, and they know it. Individually they will go in one of two directions: The true believers will stupidly double down and sink into the abyss, and the conservatives interested in winning elections in the future will deny that they were ever against gay marriage to begin with.

Of course, they won't actually advocate for LGBTQ causes. They'll just refuse to cop to their recently cherished beliefs, spin fast enough to generate electricity, and try to get away with pinning their horrible reputation with LGBTQ issues on liberal media bias.

The worst part is, they're guaranteed to see at least some success with this strategy. It's going to be aggravating as hell.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

platedlizard posted:

So he thinks that gays should be "separate but equal" and that full marriage is an issue of "state's rights"?

Something sounds familiar here...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kik2dagroin posted:

His source, more likely than not?

an NPR story:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540117

Perception Management, anyone? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
More amusing than the pundits doing a 180 on gay marriage are the ones doubling down against it. These people know that their ratings have nothing to do with taking the palatable position and like usual talk radio is at the forefront. While stuck in traffic going to and from work over the last few days I got to hear both Mike Galagher and Mark Levin doubling down extra hard and it was pretty great. Mike even took calls on the subject which was predictably hilarious. I heard everything from libertarian government contract nonsense to full blown religious die hards