Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah guys, asking that someone let people know that a code was used so that others don't waste their time trying to use it is totally an indication of self-entitlement. This is not how every other forum does it and it is completely unreasonable to expect it. :rolleyes:

Well you could sit there and read all the replies and count the codes and try to figure out which one hasn't been taken but I bet by the time you did all that the codes would be gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Paco de Suave posted:

Last I checked complaining you didn't get something for free was frowned upon in the iOS games thread and the Steam thread. Look at the time stamp like everyone else, assume that if it's been more than 20-30 minutes the codes are gone.

I wasn't complaining that I didn't get it for free, I was annoyed because there was no way for me to know that the codes had been used. They were on a photo, so I had to type them in manually one by one to find out. It's fine if that doesn't bother you, but I think it's common courtesy to let people know when you've used a code so that others don't waste their time typing it in and I don't see the harm in asking people to do it. You can disagree with me without being rude.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 25, 2013

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

If someone wants to type that they used it, great, if they don't, who cares, people can't always say that they took a code, I can't believe we're talking about this a page later, shut up and move on and deal with it already.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Is this forum even one of the private ones? I thought it was public for some reason which means non subs could see it anyways and get codes.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
http://codehookup.com/index.html

Bam, problem solved.

Anyway what's a good app that can stream video from my NAS to my phone?

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

PaganGoatPants posted:

http://codehookup.com/index.html

Bam, problem solved.

Anyway what's a good app that can stream video from my NAS to my phone?

Air Video or Plex would be my recommendation.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, Apple changed up the Podcasts app significantly, and I think it's really good now. It apparently has automatic downloads (I'm assuming this is complete background downloads much like newsstand downloads) and it has these neat playlist features. Anyway, I'm giving it a shot over Downcasts temporarily to see how I like it.. It's been 2 days now and I'm still pretty happy with it. If you had avoided it before, now might be a good time to give it another try.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

echobucket posted:

It apparently has automatic downloads (I'm assuming this is complete background downloads much like newsstand downloads)

As far as I can tell, this assumption is wrong and they're playing by the same rules as third-party apps when it comes to background downloads. As a matter of principle, this seems like a good thing, but honestly I really want automatic background downloads of my podcasts, so I wish Apple would take advantage of their ability to break the rules in this case. I'm trying the app out for a while, and I may end up fully switching to it anyway, but this is the one feature that would definitely convince me to make the switch.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So is it worth making the switch back from Downcast yet?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

So is it worth making the switch back from Downcast yet?

I've never been a fan of Downcast (I've been using Pocket Casts, but have spent at least a week trying all of the major podcast apps), but it definitely seems a lot less buggy than it used to be. At this point, I'd say it comes down to your personal opinion of the features and UI that each app offers. It's only been a few days though, so I might still change my mind.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
I don't have search, can someone recommend me a way/app to play downloaded youtube videos/videos in general on my unjailbroken, fully updated iPhone 4S? I'm really unfamiliar with iTunes because I can't deal with its terrible interface, sorry if that's a native option already.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Hey all, an app I've been working on for a few months just hit the App Store today. It's called lulcards and lets you send funny postcards in the mail. I'm working on adding promo codes for free postcards (I am doing payments myself so it's non-trivial) and will share some codes with the thread once that works.

Check it out, would love any feedback. Thanks!

http://lulcards.com

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Diabolik900 posted:

As far as I can tell, this assumption is wrong and they're playing by the same rules as third-party apps when it comes to background downloads. As a matter of principle, this seems like a good thing, but honestly I really want automatic background downloads of my podcasts, so I wish Apple would take advantage of their ability to break the rules in this case. I'm trying the app out for a while, and I may end up fully switching to it anyway, but this is the one feature that would definitely convince me to make the switch.

Are you sure? The popup on first load sure made it sound like it can background download.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Are you sure? The popup on first load sure made it sound like it can background download.

Pretty sure. It hasn't downloaded an episode without me opening the app yet.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm looking for a free app that'll let me look at a word document and make some scribbles on it. I heard Onlive Desktop could do it, but it seems they haven't released the service in Europe yet or the app's been pulled from the store or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone used Sleep Cycle?

edit: v Thanks and bought!

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 26, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It's highly recommended by goons everywhere.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It's highly recommended by goons everywhere.

How accurate is this though if you have cats :3: (This is a serious question. It would seem like them moving would throw off the whole thing).

----

In other news, Flipboard just got a pretty substantial upgrade. You should check it out - http://allthingsd.com/20130326/new-flipboard-news-and-posts-handpicked-and-shared/

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I listen to 5 different podcasts pretty regularly & the previous version of the apple podcast app had a built in option to sort all the unplaced episodes chronologically. It was simple & worked. In the update it looks like you can create a custom playlist but the only options for play order are "most recent" "my podcasts order" & "manual"

I just want to listen to them by date, am I missing something here or did they just screw up?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'm thinking about picking up Splashtop for remotely accessing my home PC from my Mini, anyone have any feedback on it? Does it work as well as they claim?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

webmeister posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Splashtop for remotely accessing my home PC from my Mini, anyone have any feedback on it? Does it work as well as they claim?

It's pretty awesome on a LAN.. I haven't bought it to try outside my home network though.

I can stream live tv from WMC at roughly 20 fps.. which is a little jerky, but watchable. Other remote desktop stuff like VNC or RDP do video in the low single digits so splashtop is by far the best out there for stuff like that.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

eightysixed posted:

How accurate is this though if you have cats :3: (This is a serious question. It would seem like them moving would throw off the whole thing).

Well, I have no idea how "accurate" it really, truly is or whatever but I have a cat that's jumping around on the bed all night and it doesn't seem to register it. I worried at first that having her jump on/off my bed in the morning would trigger the wakeup cycle early but that hasn't been the case either.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm more concerned about my wife's movements affecting the data capture than the cats. It did initially cause one or two arguments but since she's started sleeping on the sofa I'm confident I have an accurate record.

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A

webmeister posted:

If you are willing to drop some money and maybe are a more serious VNC/RDP user, iTeleport, is quite swell.

Personally, I've grown to dislike Splashtop. They keep introducing new IAPs or subscriptions, which seems necessary because of their lower cost on the app itself.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Raveyyy posted:

If you are willing to drop some money and maybe are a more serious VNC/RDP user, iTeleport, is quite swell.

Personally, I've grown to dislike Splashtop. They keep introducing new IAPs or subscriptions, which seems necessary because of their lower cost on the app itself.

Does iTeleport support RDP? I'd like to use remote desktop on my Win8 Pro machine without having to install more software.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TinTower posted:

Does iTeleport support RDP? I'd like to use remote desktop on my Win8 Pro machine without having to install more software.
Why not just use the RDP client from MS?
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A

TinTower posted:

According to their app store description it is does.

benisntfunny posted:

Why not just use the RDP client from MS?
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

Isn't that just for OSX and not IOS?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Raveyyy posted:

According to their app store description it is does.

Isn't that just for OSX and not IOS?

Really thought I was in the OS X thread. When I saw Mini my mind went to MacMini.

EDIT: Wow iTeleport is expensive. I know I used Remote Desktop - RDP in the past before moving over to LogMeIn for everything.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 28, 2013

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Can anyone suggest a flashcard style app for me? It has to be iPhone compatible, so no iPad only ones (if there are any) and I need to be able to import images. When I search for flashcard ios apps, there are a bajillion and every review says "this one is the best!" which isn't very helpful. I don't mind spending a couple bucks if I have to, but I'd obviously prefer not to (cheapskate). :)

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Aranan posted:

Can anyone suggest a flashcard style app for me? It has to be iPhone compatible, so no iPad only ones (if there are any) and I need to be able to import images. When I search for flashcard ios apps, there are a bajillion and every review says "this one is the best!" which isn't very helpful. I don't mind spending a couple bucks if I have to, but I'd obviously prefer not to (cheapskate). :)

Mental Case is relatively cheap and of very high quality. Completely stand-alone too, meaning you can create the flashcards themselves on your iPhone if you so desire. Or you can download tons of pre-made sets via the popular flashcard sites.

Unless you're autistic you don't need Anki, despite what anyone says.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

petewhitley posted:

Mental Case is relatively cheap and of very high quality. Completely stand-alone too, meaning you can create the flashcards themselves on your iPhone if you so desire. Or you can download tons of pre-made sets via the popular flashcard sites.

Unless you're autistic you don't need Anki, despite what anyone says.

I know as goons we are all scared to death of being nerds, but Anki is pretty much the best, most powerful, and versatile flashcard / SRS system out there. I think avoiding it because it's "autistic" is pretty stupid.
I used to use Android, where AnkiDroid was free, but you can be sure pretty soon I'm going to pay up for Anki for iOS

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Raveyyy posted:

What does it have as IAP? I use Splashtop all the time, but don't pay attention to that apparently. I kinda love it for at home on my network. With a Windows 8 host it acts like a Windows 8 tablet, it's pretty swank. I don't use it from outside my network though, it's kinda crappy for that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

On the iPad it has IAP for configurable shortcuts and on-screen gamepad. And it's a monthly/yearly sub for the feature, not a one time purchase.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

On the iPad it has IAP for configurable shortcuts and on-screen gamepad. And it's a monthly/yearly sub for the feature, not a one time purchase.

It's a shame, really. Besides Notability and Stanza it's my most used and recommended app. I bought it back when it was a one time purchase and seem to have been grandfathered into keeping that status despite their announcements stating otherwise back when they released Splashtop 2.

I bought the customizable GUI iap because it's only 10$. I'm hoping I get lucky again and keep it past the year. Compared to what passes for iap these days, this looks like pure gold. As far as I'm concerned, every other rdp and vnc app out there don't even compete.

I realize that I pretty much only post in the ios threads anymore to pimp splashtop, almost to the point of looking like a shill, but I firmly believe that it fixes every problem you could have with iOS' bullshit by virtue of having your desktop's power and versatility behind it (the controls iap goes a long way to support this). And I don't say that lightly, iOS is the worst operating system I've ever had the displeasure of using.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

webmeister posted:

I use PocketCloud, which works fine for me and is free. Haven't ever tried (needed) to use it from a remote network, though.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bomblol posted:

I know as goons we are all scared to death of being nerds, but Anki is pretty much the best, most powerful, and versatile flashcard / SRS system out there. I think avoiding it because it's "autistic" is pretty stupid.
I used to use Android, where AnkiDroid was free, but you can be sure pretty soon I'm going to pay up for Anki for iOS

The completely deal-breaking thing about Anki IMO (aside from the fact that several other flashcard programs have caught up to it), is that you can't create flashcards via your iOS device. You MUST create/sync with their PC client. It's really a cumbersome system that at this stage offers very little (and often less) than what others do.

But by all means go ahead and drop $25 on a non-functioning flashcard app because someone a few years ago said they have a magic algorithm.

edit: that sounds pretty dickish, but I think if people investigate what Anki offers vs. what a few of the better competitors do, they're going to be left scratching their heads wondering why someone would recommend Anki for a "normal" user.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 29, 2013

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Thanks, petewhitley and bomblol. That helped narrow down the huge field.

In the end, my wife told me to jus tuse what she was using--StudyBlue. It's free and so far it's working fine, but I've got Mental Case and Anki on my watch lists in case I need something more. Being able to create cards on the iOS device itself is kind of key for me, so that's one (major) strike against Anki.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I love Flashcards Deluxe, it's got spaced repetition like Anki and you can create flashcards on the device or sync it from your computer, and it's also not super expensive. It's got customization like crazy, too, far beyond what I use it for.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Thanks for the Splashtop feedback guys. I might hold off on it for a bit, as I've already got Plex for streaming media to my iPad and I'd only be using the RDP stuff for playing games like Civ5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Off topic but just wanted to mention that iCab Mobile, which I consider to be the best third party iOS browser, has multi-part ("segmented") downloading options, for theoretically faster downloads.

Just choose your options in the Settings app:

Really handy.

• Locked thread