Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pile of Kittens posted:

Speaking of trolling, I need to make a Nazi-themed catnip toy for a friend's cat. He's a WWII re-enactor (almost always on the Nazi side, and a special interest in Finnish Nazi history). Any ideas?

Seriously though this has kept popping into my mind since you posted it and that's unbelievably tasteless. I know this is somethingawful but keep the "lol nazis" poo poo on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Seriously though this has kept popping into my mind since you posted it and that's unbelievably tasteless. I know this is somethingawful but keep the "lol nazis" poo poo on the internet.
        /

Do any of you cat owners have any success stories in keeping your cats off of certain surfaces? Mine has started getting up to places we'd rather she didn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McdPJEAmTCU

(question is real, video is not)

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

El Gar posted:

Do any of you cat owners have any success stories in keeping your cats off of certain surfaces? Mine has started getting up to places we'd rather she didn't.

Double-sided tape + cheap place mat = ultimate cat deterrent. Tape gets gross after awhile which is why you buy cheap mats.

Speaking of bad cats:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

El Gar posted:

/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McdPJEAmTCU

(question is real, video is not)

ScatMat. Worth every penny.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
My cat is coming home tommorow after his operation and cat hospital is being set up in my front room. I have a low cardboard box full of old t shirts I have recently worn, a cat litter tray and food and water near to hand. Somebody at work recommended feliway difusers to keep him calm. Are they worth the price?

I haven't had the chance to see him in the past two days as I work 12.5 hour shifts but the vet nurse said on the phone he ate a little bit of tuna and the diarrhea is calming down and becoming more solid. I've got 4 days off now to nurse the little bugger back to health.

I also made the decision that one laparotomy is the extent that I will put him through. He either gets better or he goes to cat heaven where he still be the best cat ever, better than all other dead cats in every way. But I have a gut feeling he will pull through and continue to the best cat ever to live.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

In some cats Feliway does great, in some it does nothing. Anecdotally, it seems that cats that like catnip respond to Feliway.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I put a collar on Sadie and she is not exactly a fan. She has been messing with it for a good day now and just in general seems mopey. I don't think she has ever had one before (she is 6 or 7 now). Is this just an adjustment period that I need to ignore or is there no real reason to collar an indoor cat who is scared shitless of the outside?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 27, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Shifty Pony posted:

I put a collar on Sadie and she is not exactly a fan. She has been messing with it for a good day now and just in general seems mopey. I don't think she has ever had one before (she is 6 or 7 now). Is this just an adjustment period that I need to ignore or is there no real reasy to collar an indoor cat who is scared shitless of the outside?

We got a new collar for Smudge for Christmas and she hated it. We had to introduce her to it in steps, and we still haven't put the bell back on it. poo poo happens, cats do dumb poo poo and walk out open doors even when they hate the outside, and I know I'd really rather have contact info on my cat if either one of them get out accidentally.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

General China posted:

My cat is coming home tommorow after his operation and cat hospital is being set up in my front room. I have a low cardboard box full of old t shirts I have recently worn, a cat litter tray and food and water near to hand. Somebody at work recommended feliway difusers to keep him calm. Are they worth the price?

We tried the Feliway spray for our cat a few weeks leading up to a vet visit since we wanted to associate good calm things (naps on blankets and bed) with his carrier which we also sprayed. After about a week or so he started having this horrible half cough/half hairball sound that wasn't productive but different from when my other cat had asthma. We brought it up at his vet appointment and after chatting with them for awhile (did we change any laundry soaps on blankets, use any scented candles or perfumes, etc.) that it occurred to me that Feliway was the only new 'perfume' type thing. The vet never heard of a cat having issues with Feliway before, and suggested we clean everything and see how it goes and if nothing changes in a week then come back.

So yeah, washed all the blankets on the couch and our bed, and he had maybe two coughs and nothing since. I still have the inhaler the vet prescribed him as backup, but we haven't needed it. Most cats are fine with it, but since your guy is having an especially rough time I figured it couldn't hurt to share.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

I put a collar on Sadie and she is not exactly a fan. She has been messing with it for a good day now and just in general seems mopey. I don't think she has ever had one before (she is 6 or 7 now). Is this just an adjustment period that I need to ignore or is there no real reason to collar an indoor cat who is scared shitless of the outside?

My cats don't like collars. At all. Yet I like to keep my cats collarless for more selfish reasons: I like to pet the smooth fur ruff around their necks, and a collar would mess that up.

But my oldest cat snuck outside last night and I didn't know until I heard him at the door. :ohdear: Fortunately I'm in a 2-story apartment and he's scared of the stairways. He'll probably do it again. If only there was a way to band cats' legs like ducks.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
Cat friendship achieved!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

When do kittens start figuring out being clean is better than being bathed every day? I always thought it was around 5-6 weeks, but this little guy seems to have no idea what's up.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

- Sex: Male
- How long have you had your cat? 5 1/2 years
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yep
- What food do you use? Not sure off the top of my head, but I know we haven't changed it recently
- When was your last vet visit? 1 1/2 years ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoor only
- How many pets in your household? 1
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

We have a vet appointment for tomorrow, but my wife is pretty upset, so I figured I'd try to get some answers. Anyways, for the last few days, our cat has had diarrhea. He's laid down some solids, too, so it's not just diarrhea. This morning, however, one of his loose stools looked like it may have had blood in it. Other than the diarrhea, he seems perfectly normal otherwise. He's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, running around acting like a cat... Basically acting like he's not under any distress. I guess my question is what can cause a cat to have (mildly) bloody diarrhea and are any of those causes basically harmless, so I can tell my wife not to worry too much during the 24 hours or so we have to wait for the vet.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ema Nymton posted:

My cats don't like collars. At all. Yet I like to keep my cats collarless for more selfish reasons: I like to pet the smooth fur ruff around their necks, and a collar would mess that up.

But my oldest cat snuck outside last night and I didn't know until I heard him at the door. :ohdear: Fortunately I'm in a 2-story apartment and he's scared of the stairways. He'll probably do it again. If only there was a way to band cats' legs like ducks.

I ended up taking it off because it clearly was bothering her and at this point didn't have any id info on it anyway. Normally she loves chin and neck rubs and scratches but with the collar on the instant I bumped it she would freak out and bolt. When I took it off she leaned into neck scratches so hard her front paws came off the ground :3:

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

We have a vet appointment for tomorrow, but my wife is pretty upset, so I figured I'd try to get some answers. Anyways, for the last few days, our cat has had diarrhea. He's laid down some solids, too, so it's not just diarrhea. This morning, however, one of his loose stools looked like it may have had blood in it. Other than the diarrhea, he seems perfectly normal otherwise. He's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, running around acting like a cat... Basically acting like he's not under any distress. I guess my question is what can cause a cat to have (mildly) bloody diarrhea and are any of those causes basically harmless, so I can tell my wife not to worry too much during the 24 hours or so we have to wait for the vet.

As a broad, general rule: if the blood is red it means an irritation in the bowels which is can be something as simple as a really hard stool irritating it. These aren't usually 'panic and go to the vet immediately' situations. The blood you typically worry about is dark, coagulated blood because that originates higher up in the digestive system and is something to worry about. You're taking the cat in tomorrow which is super, and at a glance it doesn't look like it's a pressing emergency.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So Sybil keeps making this drat noise.

I pick her up.... this noise.
I rub her belly... this noise.
Scritches... this noise.
Give her a fleece blanket.... this noise.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY CATTE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En3q-FA-Pss

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

toplitzin posted:

Scritches... this noise.

That's a purr with a bit of extra vocalisation. She's happy :)

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

El Gar posted:

As a broad, general rule: if the blood is red it means an irritation in the bowels which is can be something as simple as a really hard stool irritating it. These aren't usually 'panic and go to the vet immediately' situations. The blood you typically worry about is dark, coagulated blood because that originates higher up in the digestive system and is something to worry about. You're taking the cat in tomorrow which is super, and at a glance it doesn't look like it's a pressing emergency.

Thanks. I told her something along the same lines... "Red blood probably just means cat hemorrhoids." It's good to have a second opinion, though, and it's calmed her down a bit.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

When do kittens start figuring out being clean is better than being bathed every day? I always thought it was around 5-6 weeks, but this little guy seems to have no idea what's up.

What are the kitten's circumstances? Some hand-raised kittens never figure out grooming.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Scritches... this noise.

Unknown from this one video. We need more for an informed opinion.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
When patting Hugo the other day I noticed a rough patch under his ridiculous fluff layer, and further inspection showed it was a long scratch scab along his ribcage. He and Decoy have always done a LOT of playfighting, and Hugo instigates a lot of it but usually gets his rear end handed to him by Decoy because he's great at surprise leap attacks and really bad at follow-through scuffles.

Anyway, I was just patting him and found another long scratch scab on the back of his neck. I've clipped both cats' claws back as far as safely possible, although that didn't stop Hugo scoring a surprise blunt-force scratch across Decoy's nose with his claw stub. Is there anything else I can do that might calm them the gently caress down and stop them literally ripping into each other? I strongly suspect this is just rear end in a top hat teenage cat play-fighting because they still sleep and eat close together, but Decoy just isn't pulling his punches and I don't like that Hugo is actually getting injured.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Unknown from this one video. We need more for an informed opinion.

In fact, not taping your cat enough can result in them exploding. Please share more videos to prevent this.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mirthless posted:

What are the kitten's circumstances? Some hand-raised kittens never figure out grooming.

From what I've been told he was probably around four weeks old when he was just found outside. That's kinda at the iffy age, isn't it?

E: VVVV Ugh, I meant four weeks. He's been here a week. I'm sorry. It's early and I feel dumb now.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 28, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

From what I've been told he was probably around a week old when he was just found outside. That's kinda at the iffy age, isn't it?

Yeah. Do you have other cats? Being around other cats and getting groomed by other cats might help him figure it out. (are you fostering him? could you foster another cat simultaneously?) Otherwise you'll just have to get used to bathing him for now and hope things click. I'm sure if he has to be bathed he'll get used to water and you can have one of those cats that enjoys bathtime.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 28, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mirthless posted:

Yeah. Do you have other cats? Being around other cats and getting groomed by other cats might help him figure it out. (are you fostering him? could you foster another cat simultaneously?) Otherwise you'll just have to get used to bathing him for now and hope things click. I'm sure if he has to be bathed he'll get used to water and you can have one of those cats that enjoys bathtime.

I still don't have Gabe and Sarah out here, otherwise Sarah'd probably pin him down and bathe him herself. I'll see if there's a way to foster another cat so maybe he'll get it.

:cripes: He already makes little swimmies in the water and tries to get back in when he's taken out to be dried off.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:cripes: He already makes little swimmies in the water and tries to get back in when he's taken out to be dried off.
Ugh, I wish my cats were okay with bath time. I can just imagine taking a bubble bath, relaxing with a bottle of wine with Leo and CJ chilling around.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
My cat has been back home for 2 days now. I'm used to looking after humans in hospitals. He has amazed me by his recovery, despite having major surgery he is bouncing round the house, bright, friendly and eating like a horse. He was so determined to get out he broke the catflap and escaped while I was asleep.

Apart from the minor arguments we have about him taking his tablets he is completely recovered. I thought the little furball was about to die and now he's bringing in dead birds. He looks a bit ridiculous with half of his sides and all of his tummy shaved but cats don't have much of a sense of self image so I'm ignoring that too.

I'm so happy!

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee
My dang cat peed on the carpet last night :(

- Sex: Male
- How long have you had your cat? about a month
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yep
- What food do you use? Innova EVO hard food and Nature's Instinct wet food
- When was your last vet visit? 2 weeks ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoor only
- How many pets in your household? 1
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

I haven't had any accidents with this cat outside of a hairball, but last night I was at my girlfriend's house and when I came back this morning there was pee on the carpet.

I think it's a lot darker than usual piss? I'm wondering if he has some issue or discomfort and if I should take him to the vet. Here's a picture of said piss:

The only other factors I can think of are that I just recently started giving him hairball treats a few days ago, and I switched him to the higher protein food a couple days ago as well.

I already called my vet but I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.

edit: Just wanted to add that he seems to be acting perfectly normal

almostkorean fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 29, 2013

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Take him in right now or as soon as you can today. Peeing outside of the box is one of few signs cats give that something is wrong, and if cat pee is anything like human pee, that looks like there's blood in there. Hopefully it's a one off like like a UTI, but please don't stall on taking him in, he's probably in a good amount of pain.

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee

Kerfuffle posted:

Take him in right now or as soon as you can today. Peeing outside of the box is one of few signs cats give that something is wrong, and if cat pee is anything like human pee, that looks like there's blood in there. Hopefully it's a one off like like a UTI, but please don't stall on taking him in, he's probably in a good amount of pain.

Gotcha, I just setup an appointment for this afternoon. Thanks

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Vet, just as a thing if you cat is peeing outside some place that it knows (or has decided on its own, one of my cats pees and poops outside because the dog does and thus he must be superior to the dog and do it as well, another found a really old blanket in a hidden spot and turned it into a litterbox... ugh)

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Are you sure that's pee? It looks more like vomit.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Didn't think of that, but I guess you'd know by the smell.

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee

Engineer Lenk posted:

Are you sure that's pee? It looks more like vomit.

This my initial thought because it didn't smell very strong when I first bent down to smell it, but when I wiped it up and got a closer smell I thought it smelled more like pee. Although at that point I had convinced myself it was pee, so maybe it was confirmation bias?? I dono

I guess I'll find out, his vet appointment is at 3.

As an aside, now that I've been thinking about it, he has seemed extra needy this week. Hope he's alright!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yeah looks more like vomit to me too. I've seen a lot of cat vomit on carpets lately gently caress you toby anyway and that's what it can look like. If it smelled like pee you wouldn't have to put your nose too close to it. It'd be evident that something was up if you stood just near it, and if you squatted down it'd be pretty obvious.

toplitzin posted:

Scritches... this noise.

Some cats have trilling purrs :3: It's super cute.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Sorry bro, my cat puke experiences were always the delightful excessive chunky kind. Glad it's not horrifying blood pee.

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee
Welp I don't have to worry about the vet appointment anymore since I couldn't get him in his carrier and missed the appointment that crazy sunofagun.

I feel like I just had some crazy battle. Never had this many scratches before

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Would a cat eat goldfish (the crackers)? My mom keeps small bowls of snacks out on the counter, and recently put out some goldfish. Now she claims that our 12 year old cat is eating them. I'll admit they do look sort of pushed around like she stuck her face in the bowl, but I wouldn't think a cat would have any interest in crackers. No other snacks like m&ms or ritz crackers have been disturbed in the past.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Xenoborg posted:

Would a cat eat goldfish (the crackers)? My mom keeps small bowls of snacks out on the counter, and recently put out some goldfish. Now she claims that our 12 year old cat is eating them. I'll admit they do look sort of pushed around like she stuck her face in the bowl, but I wouldn't think a cat would have any interest in crackers. No other snacks like m&ms or ritz crackers have been disturbed in the past.

I would not be surprised. My girl cat (14 y/o) eats the following if given a chance: doritos, popadoms, chips, rice cakes, bombay mix... If it's crunchy and I'm eating it she'll have some too thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

almostkorean posted:

Welp I don't have to worry about the vet appointment anymore since I couldn't get him in his carrier and missed the appointment that crazy sunofagun.

I feel like I just had some crazy battle. Never had this many scratches before

He still really needs to go. See if you can throw a towel over him, wrap him up, and stuff him in the carrier that way. Because if that is blood-tinged urine on the floor, he is probably in quite a bit of pain and depending on what the cause is, it could end up being fatal if it's not treated.