Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The first edited equality picture I saw on Facebook was the twin-AR picture; I replied with enthusiasm that:

"all gun purchases SHOULD be equal; background checks for everyone, no exceptions.

A Good Picture."

The whole picture and corny thread was deleted. So job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaleforks
Dec 2, 2007

I don't even....

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

King Dopplepopolos posted:

I haven't seen much anti-gay nonsense on my FB feed. The most prolific nonsense, however, has been of this variety.

So drat passive-aggressive. Nice, unsubtle attempt to tell their friends to stop supportin' gays publicly. It offends their delicate sensibilities or something.

That's what I thought when it came across my wall.

yaleforks posted:

I don't even....

:psyboom:
It's the old canard "democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for lunch" and made racist and sexist, holy gently caress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

yaleforks posted:

I don't even....

4 votes to 1 the group decided to go with black jackets instead of grey. A good picture?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dradien posted:

So I kind of got dragged into this facebook argument with a guy that's an utter gun freak. He plays the victim all the time, and sticks gun related images into whatever he can. I'm sure you've all seen the equality profile picture going around? Well, he has one with two guns.

Anyway, the following album on imgur is from the argument we've had. I'm FB user #6

http://imgur.com/a/WwvXX

I'm not sure how to link the actual images here from Imgur. If anyone can give me pointers for the last reply, it'd be useful. I'm TRYING to stay respectful as he's a good friend of my brothers, but I'm about to say gently caress it and block him, again,

Well, you've got a lot of potential angles you could focus on because he kind of scattershot a handful of arguments at you. It helps to break them down and address them individually, though if you want to save time you could focus on one particular aspect of avoid the minutiae and focus on the broader premise. I'll separate the points out more or less from his last post:

The purpose of the Second Amendment is to arm people in order to prevent future tyranny.

Good luck fighting a tyrannically controlled military in possession of unmanned drones and tanks with your handgun and rifle I guess? The second amendment seems to do a piss poor job of protecting people from whatever nebulous undefined form of tyranny your friend is afraid of in the modern day, so I'd probably just ask him to specify what indicators he thinks would be enough to justify a violent uprising against the U.S. government as supported by his Second Amendment rights to fight tyrants.

A CDC comparison of how often firearms are used for self-defense versus for murder.

I'd ask for a source on this before going any further, because I'm not finding much in regards to CDC reports. There are a number of studies on this issue that conflict in methodology, sampling and conclusions, so this definitely doesn't seem to be clear cut.

A comparison of rifle deaths versus knives, hands, feet, and clubs.

Correct, rifles make up a small section of weapons used in homicides. All those other weapons are also generally only lethal within a distance of a few feet. This distinction matters when we're talking about protecting innocent lives in public places, though I would agree that rifles would probably not be my first priority with regards to firearms restrictions, because...

Handguns make up the majority of firearms deaths, a majority of these deaths being gang related.

I can't vouch for the gang related aspect and you should definitely ask for a source on that one, but the numbers are pretty clear; it's almost a total majority of homicides for just handguns, not simply among firearms but among all methods. This would probably be where I would personally suggest we should focus our efforts as a nation: reducing handgun violence, however we can.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' don't people understand?
Should felons be allowed to keep and bear arms then? What about people who are mentally ill? Shall not be infringed, right?

yaleforks posted:

I don't even....

Reminds me of this comic:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

yaleforks posted:

I don't even....

This is it. The right-wing has come full circle and is now letting their racism and sexism override their propaganda about :911: FREEDOM :911:. Expect open praise for authoritarianism and dictatorship to follow.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

yaleforks posted:

I don't even....

What is this trying to say? Am I not seeing it because I'm on my phone?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

myron cope posted:

What is this trying to say? Am I not seeing it because I'm on my phone?

"Blacks Urbans Bad people in the inner city get a say in democracy, even though they want to do bad things such as gang rape attractive white women".

Oh sure, they'll say that's not what it means if you call them on it, but it's clearly what the dogwhistle is.

Amarkov fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 28, 2013

Lonely Swedish
Aug 13, 2010
It's the old "two wolves and a sheep vote on what's for dinner" thing, except with rape.

e:fb. Maybe they really just want to buy the nice lady some of those pretty flowers, and then get some delicious waffles at that breakfast place.

Lonely Swedish fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 28, 2013

yaleforks
Dec 2, 2007

Another from the same wall...

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Basically it's using racism to try to prop up the "We're a Republic, not a democracy!:911::byodame" statement, which is a favorite of conservatives/libertarians when the public is beginning to disagree with their viewpoints.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

4 votes to 1 the group decided to go with black jackets instead of grey. A good picture?

Fuckin Steve is always a grey jacket holdout, it's most likely just because his family owns a grey jacket store though.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

yaleforks posted:

Another from the same wall...

For some reason I'm skeptical that he ever said that. :gbsmith: I much prefer an actual quote by Krugman:

From this Op piece in 2011. Bonus points if you actually get people to discuss John Rawls or the philosophical concepts he elaborated on in the context of society today.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, I don't have pics because she deleted it, but my sister posted a Joe Arpaio bit to facebook, and I managed to show her how awful he is (the dog-killing story.)

She deleted it because she doesn't want to support people who do terrible things. :unsmith:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

For some reason I'm skeptical that he ever said that. :gbsmith: I much prefer an actual quote by Krugman:

From this Op piece in 2011. Bonus points if you actually get people to discuss John Rawls or the philosophical concepts he elaborated on in the context of society today.

Thanks a ton for posting this. Rawls was my favorite guy I ever read in the political philosophy-ish class I took in law school. Of course I then immediately forgot everything about him.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Got another, not such a happy ending...

(Im cat-pic.)

Just glad he wasnt my friend...

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Agents are GO! posted:

(Im cat-pic.)

That's just a thumbnail, dude.

edit:

Not sure what's going on, but it appears to be something with the Great Firewall of China. Doesn't work in Firefox or Chrome unless I use a proxy. But the host doesn't appear to be blocked. Weird.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 28, 2013

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

VideoTapir posted:

That's just a thumbnail, dude.

Works fine for me - try clicking for the full size (might depend on your browser)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, I used the timg tag, just click it.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Agents are GO! posted:

(Im cat-pic.)

Oh man, he even said "are country"
That's gold.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Until I saw this thread I had no idea there's a anti-equality facebook image too. I guess the people on my friend list aren't that bad after all..

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Troll Bridgington posted:

Oh man, he even said "are country"
That's gold.

I didnt even notice that, wonder if he's trolling?

RADIOHEADISGOD
Sep 29, 2005
wtf mate?
Does anyone have a handy reply for that "you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots" list? I told the guy it was bullshit, and he actually seemed to want me to show him why, but I am also incredibly lazy.

Here's the list, for reference:

quote:

1. If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

2. If you have to get your parents permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

3. If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book, but not to vote, … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

4. If the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt, you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

5. If, in our largest city, you can buy "two" 16-ounce sodas, but not a 24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

6. If an 80-year-old woman and 3 yr old child can be stripped searched by the TSA, but a woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

7. If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

8. If a seven year old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher is cute, but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable, … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

9. If children are forcibly removed from parents who discipline them with spankings while children of addicts are left in filth and drug infested homes…, you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

10. If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and free cell phones,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

11. If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big screen TV while your neighbor buys iPhones, TVs and new cars, and the government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

12. If being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you more safe according to the government,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

1. If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

People get arrested and deported all the time for illegal immigration.

quote:

3. If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book, but not to vote, … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

You don't need a picture ID to get a library card, and I'm going to guess everything I got that he supported the Department of Homeland Security after 9/11, which is why you need ID to board airplanes.

quote:

4. If the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt, you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

The intricacies of international politics aren't exactly gonna be accessible to Joe the Plumber. Also domestic gun control doesn't have anything to do with Egypt.

quote:

10. If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and free cell phones,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

gently caress whoever wrote this.

Also, some of the Founders were pretty looney. They're not biblical figures or anything. Ugh.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

(Im cat-pic.)

I just wanted to point out that I have been to the middle east for two years of my life, and those dudes are always kissing and holding hands. Man-love Thursdays is a real thing over there, but I never saw anyone get stoned to death.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I made it through almost all of yesterday without a single post from anyone I know against gay marriage; but then my Uncle must have decided to log on. My wife changed her FB photo to the equality symbol, and being that her dad is gay it's a given that she's sympathetic to gay rights. Here's the resulting discussion:

My Wife posted:

Profile Pictures

Back to Album · My Wife's Photos · My Wife's Timeline Previous · Next

LikeCommentTag Photo

SomeGuyMyWifeGamesWith posted:

So what is that symbol?
Wednesday, March 27 at 8:24pm (13 hours ago) via mobile

My Wife posted:

Equality for marriage.
Wednesday, March 27 at 8:36pm (13 hours ago)

My Uncle posted:

Legal marriage is for a man and woman only. The rest should be tolerated but not endorsed by society.
Wednesday, March 27 at 9:12pm (13 hours ago) via mobile

Natas Dog posted:

And here I thought i was going to make it through the whole day without seeing a bigoted post over this decision on Facebook. Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity
Wednesday, March 27 at 9:23pm (12 hours ago) via mobile

My Uncle posted:

The sanctity of marriage is a gift from god. What is being argued comes down to what are we as a nation willing to endorse both spiritually and financially as a society. How people choose to live is entirely their business. To each his or her own. Its when someone's else's vision of what's right or wrong becomes the argument that we find ourselves intolerant of thoughts outside our own.
Wednesday, March 27 at 9:50pm (12 hours ago) via mobile

Natas Dog posted:

Much like your views on gay marriage, I believe that brand of bigotry should be tolerated but not endorsed by society. Bigotry hiding behind the Bible is still bigotry.
Wednesday, March 27 at 11:35pm (10 hours ago) via mobile

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008

U.S. Barryl posted:

I just wanted to point out that I have been to the middle east for two years of my life, and those dudes are always kissing and holding hands. Man-love Thursdays is a real thing over there, but I never saw anyone get stoned to death.

I am relatively certain that the Gulf is the gayest place on the planet. Not that they're not hideously repressive towards homosexuality, just that they have a really weird and specific definition of what it is.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Agents are GO! posted:

(Im cat-pic.)

Attention citizen, you have reached your allotment of freedoms for your lifetime. You must wait till the national zeitgeist changes on its own before receiving additional freedom.

I hate it when people say we should be grateful for what we have. That may be true but it doesn't preclude you from working for more.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

U.S. Barryl posted:

Rocked to death. :black101:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Radical Griff posted:

You don't need a picture ID to get a library card, and I'm going to guess everything I got that he supported the Department of Homeland Security after 9/11, which is why you need ID to board airplanes.

That particular measure was introduced after the Bojinka Plot

http://www.justiceblind.com/airplanes.html

quote:

In 1996, President Clinton established new security mechanisms at the nation's airports. They included not allowing passengers to board planes without a government issued photo ID that matched the name on the ticket, increases in random passenger and cargo searches, a temporary ban on parked cars near terminals, and temporary discontinuation of curbside check-in. Also Vice President Al Gore would head a Commission on Aviation Safety and Security that would recommend permanent changes to airport security. According to Richard Clarke this Commission requested and got funding for programs involving baggage screening, carry on luggage checks, passenger profiling, screener training, research on aircraft hardening, and to hire more FAA security agents. It did not agree to recommend that the federal government assume the role of airport passenger and luggage screening ... It was clear even at the time that the Gore Commission had not been sufficiently ambitious about the job of airport security and passenger screening (p. 130).

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

AKA Pseudonym posted:

That particular measure was introduced after the Bojinka Plot

http://www.justiceblind.com/airplanes.html

Goodness, I stand corrected.

How was Clinton such a good President, nobody even talks about him anymore. The guy was kicking rear end, if anyone deserved a little adultery, it was him.

Wish I could've voted for him :smith:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

1stGear posted:

Attention citizen, you have reached your allotment of freedoms for your lifetime. You must wait till the national zeitgeist changes on its own before receiving additional freedom.

I hate it when people say we should be grateful for what we have. That may be true but it doesn't preclude you from working for more.

Not to mention the fact that pretty much all of the freedoms that people 'should be grateful for' currently are the result of tons of hard work and struggle in the past. Black people not being slaves took a war. Women being able to vote took a serious social movement. Black people having equal rights to white people took one of the largest civil society movements in history. And at every point there were people like that guy saying "Black people should be happy we're giving them food and shelter; women should be happy they live in a country where they're not still literally property; black people should be happy they're not slaves anymore" and so on.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Radical Griff posted:

Goodness, I stand corrected.

How was Clinton such a good President, nobody even talks about him anymore. The guy was kicking rear end, if anyone deserved a little adultery, it was him.

Wish I could've voted for him :smith:

Clinton began the whole "new democrat" thing where taking swings at New Deal programs is okay, Clinton kind of sucks, but as always, the alternative is terrifying.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Amused to Death posted:

Clinton began the whole "new democrat" thing where taking swings at New Deal programs is okay, Clinton kind of sucks, but as always, the alternative is terrifying.

Crime rates plummeted (and were at a 26 year low by the time he left office) and his gun control policies decreased gun crime by 40% by 2001. He also retooled the military to post Cold-War effectiveness, and if Bush had paid attention to any of the Clinton administration's terrorism reports, 9/11 would have almost certainly been prevented.

He wasn't perfect, but he's probably the best Democrat in Presidential Office in recent history.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Radical Griff posted:

Crime rates plummeted (and were at a 26 year low by the time he left office) and his gun control policies decreased gun crime by 40% by 2001. He also retooled the military to post Cold-War effectiveness, and if Bush had paid attention to any of the Clinton administration's terrorism reports, 9/11 would have almost certainly been prevented.

He wasn't perfect, but he's probably the best Democrat in Presidential Office in recent history.

He stumped for Three Strikes laws, which are pretty much The War on Drugs on steroids. Your move!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
He loving gutted welfare in a way that makes Reagan seem compassionate, but who cares that only affected minorities.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Radical Griff posted:

His gun control plan didn't do dick to the gun crime rate, unless 40% of gun crime was drive-by bayonetings.

Also it helped the Republicans take over in the house.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

While we're on subject of Clinton let's not forget NAFTA or the repeal of Glass-Steagall.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I used to be afraid of living in a vacuum chamber of only talking to people who share my same opinion on things, but I have no problem defriending people who say gay people shouldn't get married.

"Let me know when the police start fire hosing them down the streets and releasing k-9 police dogs on them. then you can start comparing the two."

See ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

I used to be afraid of living in a vacuum chamber of only talking to people who share my same opinion on things, but I have no problem defriending people who say gay people shouldn't get married.

"Let me know when the police start fire hosing them down the streets and releasing k-9 police dogs on them. then you can start comparing the two."

See ya!

I stick around to call them bigots at every opportunity; it's more fun for me that way.