Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Looks like telus changed the admin/tech passwords on the actiontec routers, anyone know the new logins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Squibbles posted:

Apparently you haven't seen very many forums on the internet

shittiest internet/tech forum.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
That I would believe.

edit: Wait what about howardforums

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
howardforums or redflagdeals would be my vote for worst.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's too bad too, because RFD actually has, from time to time, decent links.

DSL reports is only decent because of the on the spot Teksavvy support and news which is kind of interesting.

Suniikaa posted:

Looks like telus changed the admin/tech passwords on the actiontec routers, anyone know the new logins?

The force out a firmware update through DSL? I didn't know they did that.

EngineerJoe posted:

The post is gone... what did it say?

I should have copied it before it got nuked. I am not making any of the below up, but it is paraphrased. It was the best I could comprehend through the spelling, virtually no punctuation and run on sentences.

Basically, some crazy guy melting down because Bell apparently has him in collections due to 2 television PVRs they billed him for. But he returned them and has proof.

Because of this, 3 years ago (??) Bell cut off his phone so when he was shot he couldn't call 911. However, he was able to email (??) Andre at Teksavvy (??!!) for help and he saved his life.

Andre thanked him by wearing a dress.

Now, Bell is HARASSING this very important crazy man, because collection agents calling him and his 68 year old grandfather in a old folks home. This will give him a HEART ATTACK!

Teksavvy needs to call Bell for him because he is a teksavvy customer after all.

Other DSL posters questioned him to be reasonable as it isn't teksavvy's issue in the slightest and he should be contacting Bell. This was only to be answered in a diatribe about how CUSTOMER SERVICE is important and Teksavvy should contact Bell on his behalf because he gets his internet through them DAMMIT. It's like you enjoy Pepsi and Coke calls your dad at home telling lies about you. Or something.

Before it got nuked, it got to the point of him FILING A LAWSUIT against Bell and he is going to also file against Teksavvy too because it is their duty to help him! As a matter of a fact, he is now going to leave them! That will show them! (this all took place in about 30 minutes real time).

Harrassment! Illegal! Heart Attack!

:wtc:

I'm paraphrasing but that really was the jest of it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 26, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Sounds normal for that place, really.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

That's too bad too, because RFD actually has, from time to time, decent links.

DSL reports is only decent because of the on the spot Teksavvy support and news which is kind of interesting.

The force out a firmware update through DSL? I didn't know they did that.

I should have copied it before it got nuked. I am not making any of the below up, but it is paraphrased. It was the best I could comprehend through the spelling, virtually no punctuation and run on sentences.

Basically, some crazy guy melting down because Bell apparently has him in collections due to 2 television PVRs they billed him for. But he returned them and has proof.

Because of this, 3 years ago (??) Bell cut off his phone so when he was shot he couldn't call 911. However, he was able to email (??) Andre at Teksavvy (??!!) for help and he saved his life.

Andre thanked him by wearing a dress.

Now, Bell is HARASSING this very important crazy man, because collection agents calling him and his 68 year old grandfather in a old folks home. This will give him a HEART ATTACK!

Teksavvy needs to call Bell for him because he is a teksavvy customer after all.

Other DSL posters questioned him to be reasonable as it isn't teksavvy's issue in the slightest and he should be contacting Bell. This was only to be answered in a diatribe about how CUSTOMER SERVICE is important and Teksavvy should contact Bell on his behalf because he gets his internet through them DAMMIT. It's like you enjoy Pepsi and Coke calls your dad at home telling lies about you. Or something.

Before it got nuked, it got to the point of him FILING A LAWSUIT against Bell and he is going to also file against Teksavvy too because it is their duty to help him! As a matter of a fact, he is now going to leave them! That will show them! (this all took place in about 30 minutes real time).

Harrassment! Illegal! Heart Attack!

:wtc:

I'm paraphrasing but that really was the jest of it.

This is basically PeopleOfTheWorld.txt

It's a batshit crazy place out there. At least the Internet is safe :q:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Also Teksavvy attracts the craziest customers. I swear it must be policy at Bell and Rogers now to subtly funnel their unwanted or abusive customers to Teksavvy.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I think you will find that if you spend any time outside of these forums, or presumably any other paid forum, that they are all cesspools and that the crazy is pretty average.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Since I did my windows reformat, I never bothered re-doing that IP exclude for YouTube buffering mentioned earlier.

Interestingly, I've noticed YouTube is still playing fantastically either way. 1080P streaming no problem and my pings for speedtest dropped from an average of 35ms to 25.

Anyone else on Teksavvy notice any changes?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Stupid but necessary question - did you apply the block at the router-level, or actually on your Windows desktop via Windows firewall, or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

windows

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Hey BC Goons, anyone familiar with Mobile Internet sticks and the like? I am working with a political campaign and we want to have internet in our mobile campaign HQ. We probably realistically need it for one laptop and won't need it past May obviously and we won't want to be liable for a contract so we'd need to buy it outright. Thoughts/suggestions? We're also in an area without Mobilicity/Wind/whatever other upstarts coverage, sadly.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Rogers mobile stick service is really good but also really expensive. I don't know anyone that doesn't have a business account paying for it but it sounds like your work would as well. I recommend it if you will be moving around a lot.

Also you're giving money to Rogers, there's that to consider if you have a soul left.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

lizzyinthesky posted:

Hey BC Goons, anyone familiar with Mobile Internet sticks and the like? I am working with a political campaign and we want to have internet in our mobile campaign HQ. We probably realistically need it for one laptop and won't need it past May obviously and we won't want to be liable for a contract so we'd need to buy it outright. Thoughts/suggestions? We're also in an area without Mobilicity/Wind/whatever other upstarts coverage, sadly.

I'd go with TELUS. Their mobile stick is the cheapest of the three ($150) and you don't have to worry about Rogers' terrible network outside urban areas.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Rogers mobile stick service is really good but also really expensive. I don't know anyone that doesn't have a business account paying for it but it sounds like your work would as well. I recommend it if you will be moving around a lot.

Also you're giving money to Rogers, there's that to consider if you have a soul left.

He's working on a political campaign. I think souls have long left that place.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Teksavvy new package availability for Rogers cable

quote:

Migration Schedule for anyone interested for Rogers Cable

March 22 - Aggregate POI turn-up with these 13 new areas
Alliston
Barrie_sperling
Barrie_wickies
Bolton
Collingwood
Harris (Brantford)
Keswick
Orangeville
Orillia
Pefferlaw
Pine Ridge(Oshawa)
Stratford
Woodbridge

For existing POIs
March 27 - Guelph
April 10 - McNicoll
April 15 - Markham
April 22 - Brampton
April 29 - Ajax
May 6 - York Mills
May 13 - Newkirk (Richmond Hill)
May 20 - Scarlett
June 3 - Dupont
June 10 - Kitchener
June 17 - Greensboro
June 24 - Bloor
July 3 - London
July 8 - St Laurent
July 15 - Fallowfield
July 22 - Richmond Rd, Ottawa
July 29 - Wolfedale (Mississauga)
Aug 5 - Comstock
Aug 12 - Newmarket
Aug 19 - Woodstock

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lizzyinthesky posted:

Not in BC, but I used a Telus stick (and still do from time to time). Data transfer was decent, but the biggest PITA was that the signal dropped quite often even when used in a non-moving desktop. Like at least once every 15 minutes. Was very annoying to have to sign in again.

Couldn't comment about the price because I really didn't care and wasn't picking up the tab :v:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

titaniumone posted:

Teksavvy new package availability for Rogers cable

How would one know/find out which POI they're on?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

How would one know/find out which POI they're on?

Look at a map, closest one is you

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

titaniumone posted:

Look at a map, closest one is you

Right, of course, "Bloor" "Dupont" and "York Mills", what very specific and helpful descriptions of the locations.

I'm out in Etobicoke, bordering on Mississauga, so doing a bit of research, it looks like Greensboro, Etobicoke might be the closest? Or Scarlett, Etobicoke? Or the Wolfedale, Mississauga one?

Edit: It looks like Greensboro would be the closest, I guess. But it's only like 9 km closer than the Scarlett one.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 29, 2013

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

If you do a trace route it should show up in the results.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

If you do a trace route it should show up in the results.

I just did one, before I realized that it was useless as I'm currently back home near Ottawa on a lovely Bell connection, haha.

I blame the fact that I just got home from working on an 8-hour live TV shoot like an hour and a half away and should probably just go to sleep.
(Or play Bioshock Infinite until I pass out, more likely.)

I guess I can always just get my roommate to do a quick trace route tomorrow, sometime. Thanks!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So I got my Optik channels swapped around (deleted all the useless HGTV/Showcase/Discovery crap, added the HBO stuff - currently half price for the package) and the Optik TV on demand online stuff is absolutely brutal. That is some seriously rough edged junk, I got the app for my phone and logged in, now the web based version won't let me log in because I've exceeded the max number of sessions (presumably 1). So I log off the phone app, now neither will let me log back in, claiming I've exceeded the max number of sessions.

Also the phone app is limited by the number of characters your password can be. So I had to change my password to something shorter to log in it in the first place.

Yeeeeeesh. Oh well, got the TV channel going for Game of Thrones, at least.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Does Telus Optik differentiate data between internet and TV? I'm bundled with both, and have been looking to either cut all cable, or keep essentials for a) sports and b)the hope that they don't track usage when bundled with TV. I check my usage every few months but it's always blank.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

They did turn on the usage tracking for data but looking at my account again it looks like it is off again? It's blank under "Usage" in my e.Bill anyway.

Doesn't sound like they were really enforcing caps anyway. Of course that can change any time..

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Teksavvy sent me an email telling me that my price had been lowered, but it didn't say what they new price was, so after hunting a bit I ended up on dsl forums and found the new price list and the new price is the same as the old price >: (

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I got an email saying that my price was lowering, then the email says

quote:

As of your next billing date, you will notice that the Internet package you are subscribing to will change from TekSavvy Extreme Cable 25 Unlimited / TekSavvy Câble extrême 25 Illimité at $44.95 to Cable 25 Unlimited / Câble 25 Illimité at

So they took "extreme" out of the name of the package. Cool.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!
I got one of those emails too, but mine had my new price.

quote:

As of your next billing date, you will notice that the Internet package you are subscribing to will change from High Speed DSL 25 / DSL ŕ haute vitesse 25 at $52.99 to High Speed DSL 25 Pro / DSL 25 Pro - ON - RED at $39.99.
A 25% cut in my cost is pretty good, I can't remember Rogers or Bell ever giving me a discount out of the blue like that.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.
So as soon as Hockey season ends I'll be dropping my TELUS tv/internet and switching to Teksavvy. If I've been happy with Optik DSL, should I stick with DSL or consider cable? I know Shaw has their fancy new network in my area (DT Vancouver), so is their cable something I should consider over DSL given this? I was going to switch to Shaw's new service back when it launched but it was like a 4 month wait for the new modem so I forgot about it.

Then again, it may just be a gimmick for suckers like me :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Personally, I don't torrent or anything and the 3MB/Sec that my Telus 25mb line gives me is tons fast for what I need. Streams 1080 with Netflix/whatever just great. Only thing that could use even more bandwidth would be downloading Multi-GB games over steam but really, I have that in the background and it's done soon enough anyhow.

My 02c would be to with whatever is cheaper in your area.

ZShakespeare posted:

Teksavvy sent me an email telling me that my price had been lowered, but it didn't say what they new price was, so after hunting a bit I ended up on dsl forums and found the new price list and the new price is the same as the old price >: (

Telus land 25MB?

Teksavvy posted:

As of your next billing date, you will notice that the Internet package you are subscribing to will change from High Speed DSL 25 Unlimited / DSL ŕ Haute Vitesse 25 Illimité at $54.99 to High Speed DSL 25 Unlimited / DSL 25 Illimité at $54.99.
Gee, thanks for the news guys!
:downs:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 3, 2013

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Shaw 25MBit. We've got higher tiers now, but it's $100 to go to 50Mbit. I'm perfectly happy with what I have for $45. It's gotten to the point where I can't consume content as fast as I can download it.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Oof, the new pricing drops for Teksavvy are great for DSL, but they just show that Cable is nowhere near comparable for price/bandwidth (caps are the same).

I've been evaluating going to Bell Fibe when I move to another place in Burlington, ON later in August. Teksavvy doesn't seem to offer anything over 25Mbit in the area I'm going to, but Bell appears to offer 50/50 and even 175/175. They are a shitheel of a company, though.
Here's the thing. They seem to offer the 50/50 plan for $50 a month. You'd have to tack on $4 a month for not bundling with something else, if I'm reading right (can someone else confirm, or is it even more?). I also don't know how long that $33 a month promotional credit is good for, but maybe for as long as the contract.

Okay, then there's the lovely cap. You can pay an additional $30 a month for unlimited and end up with what is now... $84 a month. Then throw some taxes in there, and you're now at $94.92 a month for an unlimited 50Mbit synchronous connection. Not too shabby.

Looking at Teksavvy's options, you can get a 25/10 DSL line for $40 a month, capped at 300GB. Unlimited is $57.99. Then you have a dry loop in some cases, so that'll be about $9.10 in my case. After taxes, you're looking at $55.49 a month for 300GB, or $75.81 for unlimited on Teksavvy, at under half the speed ratings of what Bell was offering.

If you do away with the promotional bundle at Bell, it's a pretty right ripoff at $84 a month, and that's with their cap in place. Throw in $30 and taxes, and you're looking at $128.82 a month.

You could also do MLPPP with Teksavvy. 50mbit up is pretty unnecessary for most people, so how does 50/20 sound? That costs:
* Two $40 25/10 plans.
* Two $9.10 dry loops.
* $4 MLPPP (static IP is optional at no charge here).
* Two $8 modem rentals.
* Canada rape tax.
That still equals $133.45 a month.

It still ends up being cheaper to go with Bell at full price.

If the two companies offer the same quality of service without me possibly being dicked around, then it's looking like Bell might either have a pretty good deal here, or at least better than what Teksavvy could possibly offer if I wanted something as high as 50Mbit. This is assuming it holds up the deal for good, too. It seems like it's more the fault of insufficient speed matching/regulation stuff, though.

What say you, goons? 25-30Mbit seems like my desired range, but more is nice.
And about 2Mbit up seems to be a barely acceptable minimum for that kind of downstream. 50 up might mean I can do away with some local backups and go online (work discount/benefits takes care of a lot of costs there).

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 4, 2013

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Bell has loving 50/50? What the gently caress is Telus Cityplace doing offering 100/5/$100?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Is bell still doing crappy massive bandwidth shaping? I remember being in the Mississauga area, and regardless of the connection with bell or the package, some stuff just wouldn't go faster than 80KB/s.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Does that $33/month 'ongoing credit' ever disappear? That's what I'd be afraid of.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Supposedly Bell did away with shaping but I refuse to believe a word they say. They were too stupid to prevent MLPPP from getting around it so an SSTP VPN / OpenVPN will look like the signal from Contact to them.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've got Teksavvy's 18/512k cable now, but this 512k upload is seriously killing me. For the same base price, $39.95, I could also have 25/10 DSL with the same 300GB cap, but then another $10ish for the dry loop fee, plus I'd have to buy a different modem, and deal with the switch from cable to DSL... Ugh.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

VERTiG0 posted:

I've got Teksavvy's 18/512k cable now, but this 512k upload is seriously killing me. For the same base price, $39.95, I could also have 25/10 DSL with the same 300GB cap, but then another $10ish for the dry loop fee, plus I'd have to buy a different modem, and deal with the switch from cable to DSL... Ugh.

If you're sticking with teksavvy, don't forget there is a 100 dollar hookup fee too. (not their fault but...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Don't they have a promo where the hookup is only $50 until the end of the year?