Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Is this an American thing? In the UK every house has an electric kettle. Do you guys seriously boil water in a pot on the stove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've used the coffee maker to those ends. No need to leave a kettle on the stove, and no chance of burning water. Just put water in it without coffee or a filter and bam, a coffee pot full of hot water.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Mr Beens posted:

Is this an American thing? In the UK every house has an electric kettle. Do you guys seriously boil water in a pot on the stove?

No, typically we use the microwave.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

Less tea, more coffee; everybody's got a drip coffee maker but electric kettles are much less common.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

palecur posted:

No, typically we use the microwave.

I am guilty of this. :(

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Mr Beens posted:

I boil mine in a stove-top kettle that has a whistle on the end.

Dec 26, 2012

Rasamune posted:

I boil mine in a stove-top kettle that has a whistle on the end.

Yep. Boiling in a pot is reserved for cooking.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

01011001 posted:

Yep. Boiling in a pot is reserved for cooking.

Likewise for me, tea water is boiled in a kettle on the stove unless I'm really lazy and just use my sister's Keurig with no Kcup to pour out a small amount of hot water, but that's cheating. Also the sizes it pours aren't big enough for my tea/coffee mugs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, we just use our Keurig when we need 10 oz or so of near-boiling water.

For more, we have a Cuisinart stovetop tea kettle.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 29, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, we just use our Keurig when we need 10 oz or so of near-boiling water.

For more, we have a Cuisinart stovetop tea kettle.

Don't get me wrong, I love my cuisinart poo poo. You could tow a boat with the motor in my food processor. What do they do for a stovetop kettle?

Also we had the cheapest IKEA teakettle possible when one of our friends bought us a nice electric one with a freestanding base out of mercy. Handy for cleaning poo poo too.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I do love electric kettles, but when I want to make a cup of tea? Microwave + Ingenuitea. God I love this thing. Microwave it to boiling, put in your loose-leaf tea (why are you not using loose-leaf, I bet you think those little baggies are great you goddamn heathen), wait a few minutes, put over mug, enjoy delicious tea. The easiest way to enjoy really good tea that I've found.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, you boil the water first for various reasons but then you let it cool appropriately for the tea you're using.

In degrees Celsius, you want about 80 for green tea, 95-99 for black tea (just under boiling), and less than 80 for most other teas, down to like 65 for white tea. And for gently caress's sake let it steep for 2-3 minutes before you drink it. And don't try to change the strength of the tea by changing the steep time, change it by changing the amount of leaves you use.

There's nothing wrong with tea bags, they're just fine if you follow the tea making procedure properly.

But better yet, use one of these or something like it:

Edit: Do you really boil the water in the microwave? My granny would have cut you for that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love my cuisinart poo poo. You could tow a boat with the motor in my food processor. What do they do for a stovetop kettle?
I hosed up; it's an All-Clad. This thing.

Honestly, I'm not impressed, and it was super expensive for what amounts to a basic metal container which sits on our stove and does nothing most of the time. But my wife wanted it enough to put it on our wedding registry, so...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Darwinism posted:

(why are you not using loose-leaf, I bet you think those little baggies are great you goddamn heathen).

This is Britain, our tea-bags are actually of decent quality TYVM (not that I personally drink tea, but I feel the need to stand up for my nation or some poo poo).

And yeah, everyone should get an electric kettle, they're so much more efficient and quick than boiling on the stove, don't waste power/gas doing that.

Is it just me, or did Next dev go quite quiet last week? I didn't see anything much to be horrified about.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

thespaceinvader posted:

This is Britain, our tea-bags are actually of decent quality TYVM (not that I personally drink tea, but I feel the need to stand up for my nation or some poo poo).

And yeah, everyone should get an electric kettle, they're so much more efficient and quick than boiling on the stove, don't waste power/gas doing that.

Is it just me, or did Next dev go quite quiet last week? I didn't see anything much to be horrified about.

They were probably prepping and participating in PAX-East, which is something I wish I was doing.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

thespaceinvader posted:

Ramen noodles, ahoy! :getin:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Aren't electic kettles less common in the States because they don't have decent 240v ring mains? Or is it just one of those "the Brits do this, so we must do SOMETHING ELSE" things like holding the fork in the wrong hand or dropping perfectly good vowels from words?

D&D Next: Kettlechat.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I'm betting it's the coffee vs. tea thing

Has anyone dug into the maths and poo poo on the new classes?
I know I said I'd start giving a gently caress if/when they released Paladins and Rangers but I just can't be bothered to navigate the dumpster fire that is Wizards.com
Also, I hate reading. Unless it's forum posts. And even then, they need to not be :words:

tl;dr I should probably get checked for A.D.D.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Payndz posted:

Aren't electic kettles less common in the States because they don't have decent 240v ring mains? Or is it just one of those "the Brits do this, so we must do SOMETHING ELSE" things like holding the fork in the wrong hand or dropping perfectly good vowels from words?

It's just that there's usually little reason to boil water over here if you're not cooking something. Electric kettles ("hot pots") are really popular in college dorm rooms, though. Mostly for ramen noodles.

Coffee is more popular than tea, and most of us are lazy and have brewers for that.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

AlphaDog posted:

Edit: Do you really boil the water in the microwave? My granny would have cut you for that.

The whole point to a microwave is heating water; that's, like, its core operating principle. It takes 88 seconds and I can heat just one glass' worth. An electric kettle takes at least 4 minutes and a 1 liter minimum.

Also, the right brewing temperature for tea is 'whatever temperature will be just barely not too hot to drink 120 seconds after putting the tea in'. That applies to all teas, infusions, tisanes, and whatnot.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Payndz posted:

This is the cooking thread, and hands down this is more interesting than anything anyone has to say on Next. I don't think electric kettles are popular here because tea isn't, or isn't as popular as it is over there. Like, I have at least three ways to make a cup of coffee in the house and two different appliances related to coffee making rather than the electric kettle which gets used for iced tea sometimes but that is about it.

Actually on a related issue since we do attend nerd conventions, there should be discussion over things that can be made in a hotel room that has a coffee maker and a microwave. It is rather a lot, and can save you dough on a long weekend.

By way of example, you can make both hot dogs and ramen in a coffee maker JUST FINE. You can poach an egg in one too, if you are good at poaching eggs.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Back when I was in scouts, boiling hotdogs in a pot of Lipton chicken noodle was a staple.
Some people like soup, some people like hotdogs, everybody wins.

I imagine this could be concocted in a coffee maker.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

P.d0t posted:

Back when I was in scouts, boiling hotdogs in a pot of Lipton chicken noodle was a staple.
Some people like soup, some people like hotdogs, everybody wins.

I imagine this could be concocted in a coffee maker.

Oh man, hot dog noodle soup.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

palecur posted:

The whole point to a microwave is heating water; that's, like, its core operating principle. It takes 88 seconds and I can heat just one glass' worth. An electric kettle takes at least 4 minutes and a 1 liter minimum.
I just boiled exactly one mug's-worth of water (for coffee, not tea) in under two minutes. America is clearly behind on the kettle technology curve.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Payndz posted:

I just boiled exactly one mug's-worth of water (for coffee, not tea) in under two minutes. America is clearly behind on the kettle technology curve.

Necessity is the mother of invention? :shrug:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Payndz posted:

Probably. I know there's a good reason I went with a Japanese rice cooker.

Really, though, most Americans put no thought into how their water gets boiled. Between the stovetop, the microwave, and coffee makers, there's usually little reason to have a device dedicated to that function.
There's a D&D Next joke in this analogy, somewhere.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Payndz posted:

These days I'm a tea fanatic, and spend way too much on tea and hardware for steeping the tea. I've heard that electric kettles work faster on 240v, but they're still easier and I think faster than boiling water on the stove at 120v. I can't remember the brand name of the one I have at home--it's one of the silvery metal ones with a base that plugs into the wall--but it's worked really well for me. About the only thing I ever use it for besides tea is instant noodles, though I go in for the Ippeichan brand instant yakisoba.

At work we just have one of the plastic Proctor-Silex ones that Amazon sells for like $15 and it's held up great. It basically only gets used by me and two or three other tea drinkers, plus one or two people who make more personal and elaborate arrangements for coffee. Electric kettles aren't hard to find in the U.S.--they're certainly easier to find than loose tea--but I think most people get their hot caffeiene by way of a coffee maker instead.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Really, though, most Americans put no thought into how their water gets boiled. Between the stovetop, the microwave, and coffee makers, there's usually little reason to have a device dedicated to that function.
There's a D&D Next joke in this analogy, somewhere.

I'm sure it has to do with multiclassing or niche protection

Barudak
May 7, 2007

P.d0t posted:

I'm sure it has to do with multiclassing or niche protection

Yeah its only an issue if you didn't spec as a wizard because then you won't have the income of skill points to split on numerous, expensive niche skills and products. Its compounded by the fact that wizards don't have to worry about day to day struggle or labor so they can use their endlessly accruing skill points wastefully instead of having to dedicate to a single thing and never spec out of it like a warrior.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
If there is one thing I don't mind about D&DNext, it's that they're going with the "gently caress having so many goddamn classes" mentality. ("Paladins encompass 3 classes :dealwithit:")

Honestly I like the idea of multiclassing in a "simple core" game where there is like... as many classes as the average Diablo game. Take levels in Spells guy and Animal Companion guy to make Close Approximation of Druid-guy. or something.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 29, 2013

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Hotel cooking talk: If your hotel has an iron, you can totally make grilled cheese on it. Just watch for cheese melting out the sides and making a mess

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Sort of hotel cooking: Before you go on vacation, shred cabbage and put it in a bucket of brine in a cool place in your house before you go. When you get back from your trip, you have sauerkraut!

I did this before my trip to Florida. When I got home from Florida, I put 5 lbs of brisket in some brine in my fridge. 5 days later, I now have homemade corned beef, homemade sauerkraut and I've just whipped up my own 1000 islands dressing and baked some nice bread for the best loving Reuben I've ever had. I'm eating it right now and typing with my greasy corned beef fingers.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Winson_Paine posted:

You can make both hot dogs and ramen in a coffee maker JUST FINE. You can poach an egg in one too, if you are good at poaching eggs.

I'f you're going to boil a hot dog you might as well just loving microwave the drat thing.

Vhex
Mar 30, 2011

"Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you, and you may call me V."

Elfgames posted:

I'f you're going to boil a hot dog you might as well just loving microwave the drat thing.

When I was a kid, I used to fill a mason jar with water, put two hot dogs in it, and put it in the microwave for 1 minute to have nicely cooked and not dry hotdogs. If you did that with 1 hotdog, it would split. Now I have a grill, though.

On the electric kettle -- ours is drat quick. 1-2 minutes, tops, and it automatically stops at the right heat so I can do something else without it boiling over. I am in the US.

I like the idea of the exploration rules in Next, but it hearkens back to the old "roll for random encounter" days and right now they read as very haphazard. I think some polish will make it a neat system.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's amazing how many people never use the lower power settings on a microwave. It's worth it! (To be fair, I just started using them last year myself.) They stretch open the time window between "acceptably heated" and "dessicated burnt husk", and if you have a quick defrost setting (you probably do) get ready to save all your thawing time.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

moths posted:

It's amazing how many people never use the lower power settings on a microwave. It's worth it! (To be fair, I just started using them last year myself.) They stretch open the time window between "acceptably heated" and "dessicated burnt husk", and if you have a quick defrost setting (you probably do) get ready to save all your thawing time.

A thousand times this.
It is a good way to avoid "biting into pizza pop that is scalding hot on the inside but cool to the touch on the outside"

having just gotten a new microwave, though, I can safely say gently caress every microwave nowadays having 1 through 5 be "autostart X# minutes" because typing in the time manually and setting the power is superior to pressing "time cook" before doing all that. really, the "+30 seconds" button should be all you need for laziness purposes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow. I hope this is an April Fools joke.

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130401

quote:

Apprentice Tier: This change is the biggest shift from how you've seen the game so far. What we've treated as 1st-level characters in D&D Next before now shift to become 3rd-level characters, with two new levels inserted into each class that allow you to gradually gain the full abilities of a character.

That's right. Want to play D&D and not have a meat grinder? Want competent characters at the start? You only get to play 18 levels now and have to start with 3rd level pcs, because the Grognards own 1st and 2nd level now.

Or am I spinning this too negatively?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Eh?

It sounds like they're trying to clearly define various entry-points into the system. While I think its a mistake to tell people they pretty much can't play 1st level characters if they want to play a certain way, the idea is solid. It sounds like an idea that would finally fulfill their stated design goals of making everyone happy.

Really the only people who get really shafted are the Legacy Tier people. According to his expected progression mechanism, if you started at 16th level and played to 20th, that's (4levels x 3session) 12 sessions before you max out. That's weird.

e: Also, probably April 1st'd.

e: D&D Next: I can't tell if it's a joke.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Level 1 and 2? What the gently caress is this WoW bullshit? Level 0 commoners or I'm boycotting Wizbro$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

SilverMike posted:

Level 1 and 2? What the gently caress is this WoW bullshit? Level 0 commoners or I'm boycotting Wizbro$.

New concept:

You start the game at negative 10.

• Locked thread