Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Good god, how do you even do that and how do I get it here? :stonk:

The only thing missing was giving her Kiryu's perpetually furrowed brow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That is exactly what I wanted to see in Yakuza 5, and instead we got the idol crap. Such a drat waste.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Renoistic posted:

That is exactly what I wanted to see in Yakuza 5, and instead we got the idol crap. Such a drat waste.
Well, Yakuza has always been about making a giant smorgasbord of a game that will have at least something for everyone. They figured fighting was fairly well covered but there wasn't enough dancing yet.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, Yakuza has always been about making a giant smorgasbord of a game that will have at least something for everyone. They figured fighting was fairly well covered but there wasn't enough dancing yet.

OK, for the next Yakuza they should let her sing and dance AND beat the crap out of people. I'm sure they could find a way to make it fit the story somehow. She could have her own style but still copy some of Kazuma's moves.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Renoistic posted:

OK, for the next Yakuza they should let her sing and dance AND beat the crap out of people. I'm sure they could find a way to make it fit the story somehow. She could have her own style but still copy some of Kazuma's moves.
I think one of the issues is not what happens when you win, but what happens if you lose. I'd imagine the idea of a little girl getting beat down by a bunch of yakuza is pretty distasteful, especially in Japan.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think one of the issues is not what happens when you win, but what happens if you lose. I'd imagine the idea of a little girl getting beat down by a bunch of yakuza is pretty distasteful, especially in Japan.

Hm, I didn't really think about that. I guess I've been playing too much fighting games. To me Yakuza is about as "realistic" as Tekken so the violence doesn't really bother me. The thought of Haruka loosing a fight didn't really occur to me either. You've definitely got a point, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 22, 2013

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, Haruka isn't a little girl any more. She's a teenager and will eventually become an adult. Once she grows up, perhaps Kiryu will teach her a few of the myriad ways of destroying a man so that she can safely walk the streets of Kamurocho.

"If a man gets fresh with you, Haruka, you twist his wrist like this and then throw him to the ground. Be sure to continue kicking him while he's down, since that's why you knocked him down in the first place. Use your own discretion to determine when he's had enough."

Another option could be to have a side plot where Haruka is starring in an action movie and all of her "fights" are with stuntmen. That way if she loses a fight, it's a "re-shoot" and not a "game over".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quiet Python posted:

Well, Haruka isn't a little girl any more. She's a teenager and will eventually become an adult. Once she grows up, perhaps Kiryu will teach her a few of the myriad ways of destroying a man so that she can safely walk the streets of Kamurocho.

"If a man gets fresh with you, Haruka, you twist his wrist like this and then throw him to the ground. Be sure to continue kicking him while he's down, since that's why you knocked him down in the first place. Use your own discretion to determine when he's had enough."

Another option could be to have a side plot where Haruka is starring in an action movie and all of her "fights" are with stuntmen. That way if she loses a fight, it's a "re-shoot" and not a "game over".
The thing is, I don't think the devs are ever really going to let her "grow up". No matter how old she gets, she'll always be doing little girl things and be Kiryu's daughter figure. I mean, unless they introduce a new little girl to fill that spot in the character relationship, which would be so very wrong.

They may have painted themselves into a corner by portraying her as growing up physically at all.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 25, 2013

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Quiet Python posted:

That reminds me of Saki, Tatsuya's personal coach. She is one hell of an Akido fighter. Snapping wrists and legs of guys trying to hit on her.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it any more distasteful than her being kidnapped every other day of the week?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

Is it any more distasteful than her being kidnapped every other day of the week?
I think so, yeah. Little girls being kidnapped is just a trope we see in media so much that it doesn't even register emotionally anymore I think (which means it's an awful plot device and should go away, but you know, tradition), but little girls getting beat up by a bunch of bad men is not something we see every day.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 26, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Also theres no reason to believe that kidnappers wouldnt act like perfect gentlemen!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this came up in the PS3 Games Discussion thread with regards to the (seemingly grim) future of the Yakuza series in the West:

quote:

"SEGA haven’t made any of their plans for a western release known yet. We did get word from them a few days ago that they have not announced anything either way.
The biggest hurdles right now is Sega’s financial state. They are losing money constantly and only recently restructured the company to focus on digital products and core IPs. Yakuza is a core IP in the Japanese market but the games usually don’t do great sales in the rest of the world. Usually only selling a few hundred thousand copies.

This is why we saw the full voice acting in the English release of Yakuza 1 which was expected to do well (especially as it was worked on by core members of the Shenmue team). After that did not live up to financial expectations Yakuza 2 featured only Japanese voices and Kenzan was not released at all. When we got Yakuza 3 some of the content was stripped out to save on translation costs.

For Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls Yas Noguchi (Senior Producer) was leading up the translation team. He made sure all of the content was included in both games and even retconned specific names to match their Japanese counterparts (eg. Fuma to Kazama.)
After the restructuring in July Yas was either let go or left the company on his own (it was not made apparent either way). Sega’s new focus on digital content and core IPs saw a few games cancelled including Valkyria Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 2. Anarchy Reigns was pushed back to a 2013 release despite the title being completely translated and ready to go 5 months ago. On top of this many of Sega’s European offices closed; France, Germany, Spain, Australia and Benelux.

That’s the long and short of it, Sega’s not doing so hot right now and have refocused on to titles it are sure will sell well. Yakuza does not do very well in the west but usually manages to at least break even which means it’s a low priority for the developer. Usually we’ll only hear about western plans for a Yakuza release a few months after the Japanese release so it’s likely we will hear something early to mid next year. Until then we can only hope!

With Yas Noguchi leaving Sega and community managers stating that Yakuza games are Japan-only, I'm guessing this means it'll be a good long while before we see another translated Yakuza game. :sigh:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
As a fan, I want them to keep trying so I can keep getting my games, and Yakuza can keep having a chance at succeeding.

As a realistic person, if SoA hasn't gotten it right after 5 games, they will probably never get it right, so yeah, stop trying and stop embarrassing yourselves you awful people.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Well, I guess I need to get my Japanese more up to snuff than it has ever been so I can play this game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
You're better off waiting for fan translation patches that work in conjunction with PS3 emulators, since that would take less time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Nah. I've taken like 4 years of Japanese, and majored in it in college. I just haven't used it in quite a while.
Back when I played Kenzan I was able to understand like 75% of the spoken dialogue. It's mainly the written stuff that was giving me trouble.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
As someone who only got into the Yakuza games a year ago it's sad to see the franchise unavailable in the West Yakuza 5 looked so good too and Egomaniac's LP of Kenzan was amazing i hope SoA gets the right to Yakuza 5 at some point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mikeycp posted:

Nah. I've taken like 4 years of Japanese, and majored in it in college. I just haven't used it in quite a while.
Back when I played Kenzan I was able to understand like 75% of the spoken dialogue. It's mainly the written stuff that was giving me trouble.
Well, that's a problem since so much of the dialog is only written, not spoken. Time to get out those kanji books again I guess.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, that's a problem since so much of the dialog is only written, not spoken. Time to get out those kanji books again I guess.

Yeah. Pretty much. With Kenzan it was a choice between just getting the key words to figure out where to go, or to take time to understand all of what was being said. :shrug:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God dammit, I'm never gonna be able to finish Yakuza 4. I had some cutscenes earlier in the game freeze on me, but that wasn't a big deal, the second time around I knew it was coming and would just skip it. But now I'm just about to finish the chapter as the detective, and as it leaves that cutscene where you find out who the mole is, I just get a black screen. Skipping doesn't work, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, nothin'. Is there a way to download a savegame or something so I can skip to Kiryu's chapter?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God dammit, I'm never gonna be able to finish Yakuza 4. I had some cutscenes earlier in the game freeze on me, but that wasn't a big deal, the second time around I knew it was coming and would just skip it. But now I'm just about to finish the chapter as the detective, and as it leaves that cutscene where you find out who the mole is, I just get a black screen. Skipping doesn't work, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, nothin'. Is there a way to download a savegame or something so I can skip to Kiryu's chapter?

Not really-the saved games are tied to your account. I think there is a work around, but it will disable trophies and (more importantly) saves. I had my first PS3 die on me as I was trying to finish up some minigames, etc. on Yakuza 3, and eventually gave up on the idea of trying to finish that stuff up. There are saved games available on Gamefaqs if you want to try yourself, though.

If you haven't already, try cleaning the disk-I've had games freeze just like you describe before, and it turned out to just be smudges on the disk.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

unl33t posted:

Not really-the saved games are tied to your account. I think there is a work around, but it will disable trophies and (more importantly) saves. I had my first PS3 die on me as I was trying to finish up some minigames, etc. on Yakuza 3, and eventually gave up on the idea of trying to finish that stuff up. There are saved games available on Gamefaqs if you want to try yourself, though.

If you haven't already, try cleaning the disk-I've had games freeze just like you describe before, and it turned out to just be smudges on the disk.

Didn't think about cleaning the disc. That could be it, actually, when I was dicking around last night for some reason the baseball game loaded with no textures once.

EDIT: Holy poo poo them smudges. :stare:. I have no idea how the disc got that filthy. I bought it new, it's never even been out of my PS3 since I bought it since most of my PS3 stuff is online, but it looks like one of those fingerprint cards the police use.

Cleaning it worked! Sweet! Soon I can play as Kiryu at last!

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 28, 2013

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

After finally getting back into the series, I'm a decent ways into 3 at the moment and have 4 to get on right after that. I was wondering about Dead Souls though. A lot of the game looks like a good time, all the side-content (Majima karaoke :allears:) and the overall weirdness/goofiness of the setting is great, though I've heard the actual gunplay segments are iffy. Was it just bad to handle or what?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

After finally getting back into the series, I'm a decent ways into 3 at the moment and have 4 to get on right after that. I was wondering about Dead Souls though. A lot of the game looks like a good time, all the side-content (Majima karaoke :allears:) and the overall weirdness/goofiness of the setting is great, though I've heard the actual gunplay segments are iffy. Was it just bad to handle or what?
It was a shooter designed by people who have never made shooters before, from a country not famous for shooters. It just felt so very wrong.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
It wasn't unbearably bad or anything but it certainly wasn't fun. I really enjoyed the goofy Halloween episode style story though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It's not so much a shooter as it is a beat-em-up with guns for fists.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

^^^ - In Ryuji's case that looks pretty literal. :v:

Since it sounds like it wasn't really game-souring or anything I'll probably grab it then. For $20 anyway that sounds pretty fine with the amount of other good stuff in there.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
It's not bad, I had a lot of fun with it after getting used to its weird controls. Just don't worry too much about the bonus side stuff like me, as it took many hours and wasted attempts. Oh god, those sewers. :gonk:

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn't think about cleaning the disc. That could be it, actually, when I was dicking around last night for some reason the baseball game loaded with no textures once.

EDIT: Holy poo poo them smudges. :stare:. I have no idea how the disc got that filthy. I bought it new, it's never even been out of my PS3 since I bought it since most of my PS3 stuff is online, but it looks like one of those fingerprint cards the police use.

Cleaning it worked! Sweet! Soon I can play as Kiryu at last!

Awesome, I'm glad I thought to mention smudges on the disk-I was just about to hit "Submit" when it occurred to me. I have also had really smudged up disks that I swore were never (or seldom) handled-I wonder if there's some how to get them from the PS3 itself?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Since it sounds like it wasn't really game-souring or anything I'll probably grab it then. For $20 anyway that sounds pretty fine with the amount of other good stuff in there.

It's $10 on Newegg Not anymore.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 30, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tangentially Yakuza related

Gematsu posted:

PlayStation 4 lead architect and Knack creator Mark Cerny and Shenmue series creator Yu Suzuki are talking strategy for Shenmue III at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.

At least, that’s what GDC Events GM Meggan Scavio said after tweeting a picture of the pair.

“Mark Cerny & Yu Suzuki talking strategy for Shenmue III,” said Scavio. “For reals you guys.”

The Game Developers Conference is a place where things like this could happen. Perhaps Shenmue III isn’t quite the dead hope we once thought it was?

I want to believe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

unl33t posted:

Awesome, I'm glad I thought to mention smudges on the disk-I was just about to hit "Submit" when it occurred to me. I have also had really smudged up disks that I swore were never (or seldom) handled-I wonder if there's some how to get them from the PS3 itself?

Considering that I didn't really use my PS3 for two years before that, I have no idea what horrors were lurking in the disc drive, so that could be.

And, good lord is Kiryu satisfying to use, holy poo poo. It's nice just suddenly being a one-man wrecking ball.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I want to believe.

Or maybe we will finally get Shenmue X Yakuza. Will Ryo finally be over his fear of girls with the help of hostess clubs? Will Kiryu finally be able to avoid getting into a whole mess of trouble in the quiet town of Dobuita?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

I want to believe.
I have a lot of nostalgic feelings about Shenmue but when it comes down to it, Yakuza has everything I liked about Shenmue and so much more.

edit: well, except for being in a smaller town instead of a big city, but then Shenmue moved away from that as well in 2.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for the tip, got that sucker ordered up and newegg's never taken too long to get stuff out. :buddy:

Edit: Huh, it's $20 today, did I grab a good deal on the last day or something?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Thanks for the tip, got that sucker ordered up and newegg's never taken too long to get stuff out. :buddy:

Edit: Huh, it's $20 today, did I grab a good deal on the last day or something?

Your purchase drove up the demand and lowered the supply!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the sale is over.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

God, why aren't these guaranteed western releases :negative:

((Yeah, April 1st hur hur))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God, it is way too hard to get punched in random street encounters. I'm trying to lose some health so I can keep checking off food items in the restaurants (not even a trophy whore! There are checkmarks! I must check them all!), but even if I stand still, the fuckers still don't take a swing at me half the time. Basically, what's the best way to get my rear end kicked a bit?

• Locked thread