Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

Has anyone been to Bromo-Tengger-Semeru National Park in east Java? Got any travel tips (wear pants)?

Mt Bromo is amazing. Get up and do the sunrise thing there. It actually is kind of cold so wear pants. 2 days max, there is absolutely nothing to do in the town itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

Define going out on the town though. If you're talking about "going out" going out, like to dinner or a club or whatever nightlife you're into, then yeah it's goony.
Yeah that's what I meant.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

kenner116 posted:

It gets chilly at night, so wear pants.

I found a place in Cemoro Lawang for 80000 rupiah per night. One or two full days is enough time to see the area. Get up early for the hike up to the viewing area above town. After 9 AM or so the clouds came in and blocked the view of Mount Semeru. Backtrack into town then walk down the steep path to the caldera floor. Walk through the sandy trenches then up to Mt. Bromo. Try not to fall into the volcano.

Agreeing with all of this. I absolutely loved Bromo, took my best Indonesian pictures there at sunrise and I don't even have a good camera or anything. it's definitely worth it to see the sunrise, for sure, but my friend and I did the first part of the hike by Jeep and I don't regret that. seriously though it does get cold up there at night, you'll want a sweatshirt (and pants!) at minimum.

Gail Wynand posted:

Yeah that's what I meant.

Right, okay, we're on the same page then. I didn't think that's what people were talking about though. the average backpacker who wont be going out anywhere classier at night than his guest house lobby probably doesn't have to worry.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Singaporean expats ITT. Beware overly aggressive pants advice.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Pants make the manchild.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I wear those REI adventure cargo pants. They are light, so they are not hot and dry quickly. At the same time they keep the sun and bugs off my legs and have deep pockets to put things in. I am a big fan of pockets.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

For real men, capris are the only option.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gail Wynand posted:

For real men, capris are the only option.
Italian/Asian spotted.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Choosing my 'pant' is a long drawn out affair I will have you know, it's not like the uncouth street of Bangkok where anyone can wear anything 'willy-nilly' as the Scots say

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Also Gail, I'm waiting for that pint, for shame

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How do you match your pant to your kilt (to your green beer bottle)

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

kru posted:

Also Gail, I'm waiting for that pint, for shame
Feel free to fly to the States and I'll buy you one ;)

Seriously though, I will host a goonmeet when I get back to town this summer.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I am going on a week long scuba live aboard in Burma in November and not a single pant will be worn.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Finch! posted:

%6
I am going on a week long scuba live aboard in Burma in November and not a single pant will be worn.
What will the locals think :aaa:

I only have 2 more weeks in Asia left. :( Already planning the next time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Finch! posted:

Fisherman pants only, wooden frog jam at 6pm back on the beach, banana pancakes half off

ReindeerF will be tied to a tree nearby, pls join

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
SHOMER loving PANTLESS.

EDIT: To add some content, it is so hot this month that not only has Bangkok set record electricity usage, but when I turn on the cold water tap at TEN AM warm water comes out. It's been 90F outside since like 09:30 and that's just so far.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 29, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: To add some content, it is so hot this month that not only has Bangkok set record electricity usage, but when I turn on the cold water tap at TEN AM warm water comes out. It's been 90F outside since like 09:30 and that's just so far.

Same here in Saigon, my water heater has been turned off for over a week but when I shower, the water is always pleasantly hot enough.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
For anyone who has been to Chiang Mai Airport: Is it one of those airports that is open more or less 24/7 to allow late flights, or do they close up and kick everyone out?

I have an early flight and don't want to get a room for a few hours of lovely sleep. I mean Chiang Mai isn't rough or anything, so I could just bum around... assuming Songkran hasn't already started around those parts on the 9th of April hahha.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A room in Chiang Mai is like 120B man.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, but in fairness to him, getting around Chiang Mai is a bit of a nightmare, especially at odd hours. That loving city is so transit unfriendly for a city its size that it's unbelievable.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
200B is the bare minimum for a room if you get lucky these days. More likely 250+. Plus, when you start asking a red truck for the airport (rear end end of CM that they never want to go to) at 6am they will see whats up and start asking 100+ for what should be a 20B/30B max ride.

Sure, I'm being a cheapass, but there are much better ways to trow around money haha. Rather just settle for sub par sleep in an airport if possible.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Googling says it shutters around 23:30 and that everything closes well before, which sounds plausible. This is Chiang Mai we're talking about, not the world's most forward thinking city when it comes to transport in general.

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

I'm looking for accommodation advice for Bangkok.

Myself and two friends will be there from the 11th to around the 15th of April, I noticed this is during the Songkran festival, which wasn't planned on our part but since it coincides with our travels we're keen to get among it.

Since this is a pretty major Thai holiday will we have trouble finding a place to stay if we don't book in advance? One of my friends and I have been to Bangkok before but stayed in a backpackers dorm which was not exactly ideal. This time we would prefer to have our own rooms, spend no more than around 700thb pp per night and be close to the action. Any recommendations? advice on Songkran in general?

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
drat, should be no surprise, really. Guesthouse it is then!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Lankster NZ posted:

I'm looking for accommodation advice for Bangkok.

Myself and two friends will be there from the 11th to around the 15th of April, I noticed this is during the Songkran festival, which wasn't planned on our part but since it coincides with our travels we're keen to get among it.

Since this is a pretty major Thai holiday will we have trouble finding a place to stay if we don't book in advance? One of my friends and I have been to Bangkok before but stayed in a backpackers dorm which was not exactly ideal. This time we would prefer to have our own rooms, spend no more than around 700thb pp per night and be close to the action. Any recommendations? advice on Songkran in general?
Bangkok empties out as people head home to the countryside, it's a great time to be here. Anywhere should be fine. Read back a few pages in the thread to see the same recommendations repeated time after time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DORYiLrTsrg

Malaysia.

No Auntie.

Sorry.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I went to this tourist trap place in Siem Reap that was, if I recall correctly, $40(I know I know. My friend thought it would be cool. Easily the worst spent money of the trip). It was a combination of light show, Chinese acrobats, and other random stuff show. It was called something like "Spirit of Angkor". Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Smile of Angkor maybe? Yeah I've heard pretty mixed stuff about that show. I think the general consensus is not to bother. If you want to do that kind of thing in Siem Reap you're better off just going for an Apsara or shadow puppet display.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Tytan posted:

Smile of Angkor maybe? Yeah I've heard pretty mixed stuff about that show. I think the general consensus is not to bother. If you want to do that kind of thing in Siem Reap you're better off just going for an Apsara or shadow puppet display.

That's it, thanks! Yeah I got sucked into it. Absolutely terrible. Was trying to recall what it was so I could read the one Tripadvisor review about it that was spot on. Sadly it looks like the review is gone. When I saw the show I checked Tripadvisor a day later and there was only two reviews. Now there are three pages of reviews. From the graphics of the show I thought it'd been around since the 90s and nobody had seen it. Looks like I was wrong and they first started showing it around January 2012.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On that note, I got dragged into a company event I couldn't avoid at Phuket Fantasea one time. Slept through half of it. I mean it was decent production value, I guess, but God knows what the loving point was, other than to shovel all of us into a theater after a lovely buffet meal and watch a completely disjointed stage show with the occasional impressive battle sequence. I never go to that poo poo, but it was a company thing with the people I was working with at the time and I had skipped the 5-10 previous company things. Ugh, worst night.

Any huge stage show, don't do it. I think Tytan's probably right about puppets and poo poo. Everyone seems to enjoy that (I also think those are boring, but I'm not a 50 year-old woman).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 30, 2013

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
From Eating Asia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv0XfRovxjY

I'm moving back to Koh Tao in August :woop:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Been back in the States for a month now. Desperately missing SEA. I have all this money I can't convert but I know if I were there I could just walk down the street and do it. I'm not cut out for being in America.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It doesn't go away.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
All the food here is really bland, too.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I was lucky to be from Houston, where there's a wide variety of awesome, often spicy food, so I can't share that complaint.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Crosby taken to a Pittsburgh hospital.

Onta vasa
Oct 15, 2004

Look what I made :drugnerd:
I arrive in Bangkok Friday night to begin traveling throughout SEAsia. I'm quite excited to be spending the next chapter of my life there.

Does anyone have any information on international ferry travel options in Asia?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Onta vasa posted:

I arrive in Bangkok Friday night to begin traveling throughout SEAsia. I'm quite excited to be spending the next chapter of my life there.

Does anyone have any information on international ferry travel options in Asia?
None in most of Thailand. One boat between Western Thailand and Cambodia and then a couple down South between Thailand and Malaysia. Once you get down into the archipelago nations like The Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc, you'll find tons.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

You can go from Singapore to Batam (Bad) or Bintan (Good, I hear) for like $20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

kenner116 posted:

I found a place in Cemoro Lawang for 80000 rupiah per night. One or two full days is enough time to see the area. Get up early for the hike up to the viewing area above town. After 9 AM or so the clouds came in and blocked the view of Mount Semeru. Backtrack into town then walk down the steep path to the caldera floor. Walk through the sandy trenches then up to Mt. Bromo. Try not to fall into the volcano.

G-Hawk posted:

Mt Bromo is amazing. Get up and do the sunrise thing there. It actually is kind of cold so wear pants. 2 days max, there is absolutely nothing to do in the town itself.

CronoGamer posted:

Agreeing with all of this. I absolutely loved Bromo, took my best Indonesian pictures there at sunrise and I don't even have a good camera or anything. it's definitely worth it to see the sunrise, for sure, but my friend and I did the first part of the hike by Jeep and I don't regret that. seriously though it does get cold up there at night, you'll want a sweatshirt (and pants!) at minimum.
Thanks for the advice all. Did you guys fly into Surabaya and bus it to Probolinggo, Sukapura and Cemoro Lawang? I'm thinking about flying to Surabaya on Saturday morning and flying out Sunday evening. From your comments that sounds like enough time, thoughts?