Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty sure monsters regain health while sleeping, but only regain stamina while eating.

To balance the health regen, whichever attack wakes up a monster will deal huge amounts of damage. In Tri I believe it was a 6x multiplier (!).

So the thing most people do if they can put a monster to sleep with their weapons/knives/coatings/whatever, is carry the most powerful class of explosives with them and set them off all at once on the monster's breakables when it's asleep.

When done right you have just cut the fight time down by like 20% and it can be done 3-4 times if you have the bombs and the hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

To balance the health regen, whichever attack wakes up a monster will deal huge amounts of damage. In Tri I believe it was a 6x multiplier (!).

So the thing most people do if they can put a monster to sleep with their weapons/knives/coatings/whatever, is carry the most powerful class of explosives with them and set them off all at once on the monster's breakables when it's asleep.

When done right you have just cut the fight time down by like 20% and it can be done 3-4 times if you have the bombs and the hunters.

I've tried telling people this, but there's always that one person that doesn't listen.

"Alright, well if no one has barrel bombs then whomever has the strongest gunlance should sneak in and do a wyvern fire on its head so that we get a nice big chunk of dama.....or the guy with the Jaggi twin blades would run ahead and gently caress everything up, that's cool too."

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

But weirdly at the moment from what I can craft, I can make elemental weapons with more raw damage and more sharpness than their raw damage equivalent. Compare the ludroth splashhammer with the war mace.

The War Mace isn't your non-elemental hammer line anyway, at least not for too awful much longer.

Man, I can't wait until I have my gunhammer again. Always love using that bastard.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there ever a reason to kill over cap?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sire Oblivion posted:

Only if the monster is unable to be captured at all as far as I know.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Volt Catfish posted:

Finally, I get to see what my loving charm table is!

...I got 7. I was going for ten. Guess I hosed up royally. Oh well, as long as it's not cursed.

Same for me, I guess table 7 is just before/just after the timing for 10!

MDDY
Mar 21, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

It is sometimes easier to get specific monster bits from a carve than it is a capture. For example, I think you have a higher chance of getting shells or carapaces from a carve.

edit: Example: http://mhtri.comeze.com/monsters.php?id=Barroth

Not sure if this is true in 3U

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

I just got into offline High Rank, hurray!
Throughout the entire offline Low Rank missions I just used the DLC Gunlance and the Heavy Bagpipe, and didn't have any issues with any monster. Ceadeus was also kind of easy, but that's probably because the ballistae do tons of damage.

Now to figure out what to do next! :black101:
(perhaps I should start making a set out of stuff mined from the HR Volcano?)

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Sire Oblivion posted:

Some parts you simply can't get through capturing. For example, Deviljho fangs can only be obtained through a kill and or a face break.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The_North posted:

I don't actually find healing that good. Like, if you need healing all the time, potions are faster and more reliable. If you don't need healing all the time, why waste a song on it? The only way I see it being super useful is if your teammates are bad.

Actually, it's not even that great if your teammates are bad, since it has diminishing returns. Whip up some Lifepowder (Lifecrystals + Wyvern Claw) for a single-use heal about on par with a Mega Potion for everyone in the same area as you, or a Health Horn (Lifecrystals + Field Horn), which can be used until it breaks (randomly upon use) and heals for about a Potion's worth.

health horns rule :sax:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Okay, scratch what I said earlier about not wanting to try Switch Axes. They are awesome. Also, the Health Recovery (L) dance on the minions is awesome. Getting healed for about 40 every few minutes is fantastic, and keeps me from having to stop chopping dudes to heal.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I think I might drop dual blades for Switch axe for my slashing weapon. Was using Greatsword earlier, but it's hard to get a hold of for me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
As a budding lance user. A hunting horn's Negate Stamina Use is my favorite buff. Get yourself in a nice corner of a monster and CHARGE AWAY! :black101: (Until your sharpness gets destroyed....)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, the whole "know the enemy's moveset" thing for Hammers and Dual Blades? That applies to Greatswords, but times a million.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, the whole "know the enemy's moveset" thing for Hammers and Dual Blades? That applies to Greatswords, but times a million.

Knowing the exact time to let go a level 3 charge on the head will never not be immensely satisfying.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

RuBisCO posted:

Knowing the exact time to let go a level 3 charge on the head will never not be immensely satisfying.

Obligatory greatsword timing video (TW: slurs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NYYewCSxo

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Okay, scratch what I said earlier about not wanting to try Switch Axes. They are awesome. Also, the Health Recovery (L) dance on the minions is awesome. Getting healed for about 40 every few minutes is fantastic, and keeps me from having to stop chopping dudes to heal.

Agreed, I have been using one for some time. The flexibility great and the side step is very useful.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Majuju posted:

Obligatory greatsword timing video (TW: slurs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NYYewCSxo

Kajet actually streams MH3U, mostly on the weekends on his twitch channel. I'm on it ocassionally, and it's drat hilarious to watch. Here's a recent highlight from his stream.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

So am I the only goon that isn't HR 4+? I joined IRC the other day and everyone was doing HR 4-6. I'm on the lagia urgent quest.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Edit: ^^ I'm HR 3 if that makes you feel any better.

Can someone give me a good effort post on the switch axe? I gust got the Grim Cat (It makes cat noises whenever you swing it! :3:) but I'm absolutely rubbish at using it.

Maybe I should just stick to SnS and Lances.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm still HR1... The group I played with yesterday did some quests with me, but I didn't unlock my urgent.

Not like it matters, though. I hate rushing my hunter rank when I've just barely hit 4* offline.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Working on getting to village high rank first. Still HR 1.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
drat that black diablos is a pain in the rear end to capture. The bitch stays enraged through most of the fight and since her health pool is so drat low it's hard to tell when you need to set the traps and poo poo.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

TalonDemonKing posted:

Can someone give me a good effort post on the switch axe? I gust got the Grim Cat (It makes cat noises whenever you swing it! :3:) but I'm absolutely rubbish at using it.

I've been doing switch axe instead of the hammer, so I'll take a shot at some pointers.
When I started, I only used sword mode. The sword mode is stronger and attacks faster and is more multi-player friendly, but you move slow and you don't even have a shield to panic block, like every other slow weapon can have. I stay out of sword mode unless the monster is tripped, trapped, hungry or otherwise not trying to kill me.
Now I try to stay in axe mode. The axe attacks quickly and it has crazy range, but has pretty long delays after most of its attacks. It doesn't combo well, but you can nick the monster quite often.

Use the axe's mobility to stay near the monster and get a handful of hits in whenever you have a small opening, just taps and short combos. Between the side-step and good move speed, you're fairly safe in axe mode.
When the monster trips or eats or you feel lucky, running thrust with (forward + x) and use (r) to go to sword mode with a side sweep. Hit (x) for a while if you think you've got time, but you want to use the burst finisher (X+A, X,X,X,X... boom) as the monster gets up. This puts you back into axe and does high damage, where you go back to harassing the monster.

Someone's gonna disagree and say only use sword mode, but that technique has worked fairly well for me so far up through most of high rank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsMucOiI2qQ is probably helpful too.

I just got a Jhen jewel, and now it's time to decide if I want to spend 3+ hours farming him for his armor. The worst jewel to get.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Copying this from the U thread, courtesy of CrushedB:

CrushedB posted:

Future Miiverse updates that are being planned, from a GDC panel:

quote:

In future updates, more Miiverse functions will be available from within games. Players will be able to send and receive comments, follow users from within a game as well as viewing follower lists, and see lists of people who Yeah'd their posts.

Miiverse posts will gain the ability to launch games at a specific point from a link in Miiverse. For instance, posts from within levels in New Super Mario Bros. U are tagged with the in-game locations. In the future, players could launch a level directly from a corresponding Miiverse comment. Additionally, the Miiverse can be coupled with an online datastore, which could perform even more advanced functions.

User communities are already available, but no game makes use of the feature yet. User communities on Miiverse work similarly to those in Mario Kart 7. Users who have a community code can join a limited-access community only available to those who own a game and enter the code. Nintendo hopes that restricting interaction to a known group of people will allow people to be more comfortable sharing online. The feature can be used to organize and hold tournaments. Wii Fit U will be the first title to incorporate the feature. Within the Wii Fit U user communities, players will be able to share training records and activity logs with the hope that others they know will encourage them to stick with and enjoy fitness activities.

Mizuki sees the potential to link stage editors to Miiverse, allowing users to create and direct an entire game from Miiverse. He envisions a game where interactions aren't fixed, but people across the world bring the game to life. However, he is not working on such a game since his duties involve providing developer support for the Nintendo Network.

Nintendo is also listening to developer requests on how they might extend the Miiverse API to include more benefits.

So we'll basically be able to have a goon MH community right on the WiiU instead of having to rely on IRC, and it can be passworded so that only other fellow goons and goon-allies can join. A patch is also coming in April that will cut WiiU menu load times down by like 70%.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 28, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mcpringles posted:

So am I the only goon that isn't HR 4+? I joined IRC the other day and everyone was doing HR 4-6. I'm on the lagia urgent quest.

Yeah I'm still HR 2, and one urgent away from HR 3. I was amazed at how quickly people have gotten up in HR. I don't know where they find the time!

I'm brand new to the series so I'm in no rush. Everything is still new to me!

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
This is honest to god the worst game to play when you have other priorities. I just need one Rathalos Plate is that too much to ask???? I knew it was a horrible idea to get back into MH :(

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Does anyone know if you have to do The Lord of the Seas(Capture a Lagiacrus in F. Forest) in order to get the Durambos urgent quest for the village, or can you also do Heat Exhaustion? Because gently caress fighting and having to capture Lagiacrus in the tiny water areas of the flooded forest(unless there's a good way to drive him up onto land. Dung Bombs just made him move back and forth from one tiny underwater area to another, and dual swords don't do exhaust damage). This is the first brick wall I've really hit, I keep overextending on a combo, getting caught on something and then bad things happen. :smith:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

rhoga posted:

The worst jewel to get.

That honor goes to Ceadeus. He's right behind Lao for the most boring monster to fight in the series. At least Jhen tries to fight back on the chase phase.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OMGzKakaniz posted:

This is honest to god the worst game to play when you have other priorities. I just need one Rathalos Plate is that too much to ask???? I knew it was a horrible idea to get back into MH :(

Always thought it was a wasted opportunity not to try getting a MH/Snickers tie-in going, because "Not going anywhere for awhile?" is a pretty good slogan for Monster Hunter! I feel your pain. I need one more Rathian part for the Dragonship that lets me get to Jhen, and she ain't havin' none of it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Marogareh posted:

That honor goes to Ceadeus. He's right behind Lao for the most boring monster to fight in the series. At least Jhen tries to fight back on the chase phase.

With a group of four and good gear, Ceadeus can be rid of quickly. Fighting him solo is a true nightmare that I never, ever want to do again.

Jhen mohran is really interesting the first or second time you do it but it gets boring fast. I want to fight a monster not mash A to load cannons and ballistas with some mining thrown in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, say I've got a water greatsword, and I'm fighting a monster not weak to water, do I just get the normal damage or does the water stat hurt me in anyway?

It doesn't hurt you. Keep in mind that monsters will take some damage from most elements even if they aren't weak. Monsters are only immune in extreme cases, for example Agnaktor is immune to fire. All that said, elemental damage is pretty unimportant on greatswords. Look for raw damage, sharpness, affinity, slots and then elemental damage on GSs.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah GSs don't make contact often enough for the elemental damage to matter. Elemental damage is flat across all attacks, so quick weapons like DS, SNS, Bow,and LS are great for elemental damage. Lance, hammer, and hunting horn are pretty mediocre, and then on the Gsword it's almost totally worthless.

If you're not going to take the time to make an elemental weapon of each kind, both slicing and impact, just go down the raw power paths. Your damage output won't be ideal but you'll be plenty capable of killing on-level poo poo, not to mention power paths usually require very easy materials.

If you don't have the right weapon type for a boss, and your strongest wep is something they're completely immune to, you should probably work on another one but there's no harm on bringing that weapon in. You're still dealing the physical damage, and in cases of the big slow weapons it matters even less since their physical damage is loving high anyhow. Fast weapons would suck though.

I got through normal and beginning HR with just a Fire Lance/Hammer, and an Ice Longsword. Those two weapons deal bonus damage to such a broad amount of monsters that unless you're a perfectionist there's no point in going for other elements. It's actually pretty drat unbalanced that Fire is the best element for half the fights.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 28, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fauxtool posted:

when applying status effects with a bow does it matter how many times you hit or how hard you hit per shot?
If I spend one poison coating with a spread shot does it count 3 hits of poison or just one?

reposting this from earlier, someone has to know. Is a flat amount of status effect applied per arrow used or does each hit from the spread shot count as a separate hit applying the poison?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Qurupeco is dead :toot: Now to make armor from his flesh and move on to bigger, scarier monsters.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

quiggy posted:

Qurupeco is dead :toot: Now to make armor from his flesh and move on to bigger, scarier monsters.

I turned him into a very colourful axe. I'm sad it doesn't use the beak in the design :(

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

It is although it's outdated a bit. You don't have to press different buttons, you can keep pressing X now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Slime is a status, right? Is there a particular reason it isn't triggering my Status +2 skill?

Or is it an Element and I'm just dumb?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Carecat posted:

I turned him into a very colourful axe. I'm sad it doesn't use the beak in the design :(

I've been going dual blades because I like being a whirling spectre of death. If I can turn quru into blades I will be very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just got 3 plesioth heads from one plesioth :toot: Funny how they're more common than fins and webbing.

• Locked thread