Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Has anyone else been having issues with their power button having poor responsivity?

I'm not sure if it's a hardware thing or something brought on by my jailbreak. It feels like it's been happening since doing evasion the first time. And it doesn't really resemble the hardware failures I've had in the past for the power button.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Do you have activator installed?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yeah, try uninstalling activator and see if that fixes things. It's a funny app in it's coding as it seems to play havoc with some people's home/power buttons.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bouchacha posted:

My bluetooth was definitely broken back in iOS 5, but since I now have iOS 6, I can't run MyWI (since the license is retardedly version-specific). Hence, I can't reproduce the bug and be sure about its impact.

You know, I never really tried my Bluetooth back with iOS 5. So I don't know if MyWi broke it back then, as well.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I would make a backup of the LaunchDaemons folder first. I would also ensure you can SSH into your phone so that in the event you screw things up to the point where you can't use the Springboard, you can still SSH in and restore the backed-up LaunchDaemons folder.

Use iCleaner Pro. You need to add the repo to cydia but the app is free. From here you can enable/disable the daemons by just tapping. It's amazingly easy. It also cleans up tons of crap from your device. Just google icleaner pro.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Mooktastical posted:

Do you have activator installed?

Sure do. Must be it.

Guess I should set a secondary lock in activator for when it sucks

converge
Jan 8, 2006
Is Activator really that bad? It's one of main reasons I Jailbroke.

-Auto launch music player when power connected (for when docking in car)
-Long hold home button to launch camera
-Long hold power button to pause/play music player (when I need to walk to someone)
-Swipe status bar to launch BiteSMS quick compose
-Press both volume buttons to launch remote (for Apple TV or iTunes control)

I have a vintage iPhone 4, so I'm wondering if Activator is really slowing down my system. But I don't want to uninstall it because it provides so much functionality.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

converge posted:

I have a vintage iPhone 4, so I'm wondering if Activator is really slowing down my system.
The only issues it causes are home/power button non-responsiveness.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

converge posted:

Is Activator really that bad? It's one of main reasons I Jailbroke.

-Auto launch music player when power connected (for when docking in car)
-Long hold home button to launch camera
-Long hold power button to pause/play music player (when I need to walk to someone)
-Swipe status bar to launch BiteSMS quick compose
-Press both volume buttons to launch remote (for Apple TV or iTunes control)

I have a vintage iPhone 4, so I'm wondering if Activator is really slowing down my system. But I don't want to uninstall it because it provides so much functionality.

There are a lot of tweaks that are dependent on it, SBSettings for example, but some people experience issues with hardware button responsiveness when it's installed. If it serves you well and your phone is responsive, keep it - not like it's spying on your every action or doing something malicious.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I only installed it because SBSettings and backgrounder are dependent on it. Music controls pro works better to play/pause music at the lockscreen, so running disabled Activator is perfect for me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

dutchbstrd posted:

Use iCleaner Pro. You need to add the repo to cydia but the app is free. From here you can enable/disable the daemons by just tapping. It's amazingly easy. It also cleans up tons of crap from your device. Just google icleaner pro.

What daemons do people disable and why?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Christoff posted:

What daemons do people disable and why?

There's a pretty comprehensive list in that SinfuliPhone thread detailing what daemons you can delete and what they do.

Disabling a daemon means it's not using your phones RAM, freeing it up (which will mean you've got more RAM for processes that you actually use)

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Yeah exactly. I don't really do it myself, besides the OTA update stuff, but the app gives you nice and easy options, if this is your thing. Long holding over each row gives a small description.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I was a little confused by this conversation. You can use the SinfuliPhone list if you want to delete and back things up manually, but iCleaner Pro makes it SO MUCH easier. Here's what it looks like:

It explains which ones are generally safe to disable depending on your usage. I disabled a bunch of groups but have yet to really notice a difference in free RAM so who knows. Regarldess, the app makes it very easy to revert back.

Make sure to add the cydia repository http://exile90software.com/cydia

edit: f,b

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On the Activator issue, I got rid of Activator and SBSettings because of the intermittent Home button not waking the phone from sleep.

Unfortunately that BatteryDoctor app that I replaced it with also seems to have the same issue so I'm guessing there's some similarity there in the way they tap into something.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

iCleaner Pro

dutchbstrd posted:

iCleaner Pro

New Best Reason for Why I Jailbreak.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

If I run icleaner to clean up the safari/application junk will it wipe out my saved account info and whatnot?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

a glorious hole posted:

If I run icleaner to clean up the safari/application junk will it wipe out my saved account info and whatnot?

It didn't for me.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Anecdotal test:

My 4 used to run in the high 90% of RAM used on BatteryDoctorPro.

Used iCleaner Pro to disable the following daemons:
Safe
Log, Dump, and crash report
developer daemons
ota update daemons
assistive touch daemons
Air print
spotlight
chinese wlan
admin lite
voice control
game center
passbook
vpn
internet tethering
twitter

After restarting, BatteryDoctorPro says my used ram is at 58%

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Saurik (which knows a thing or two about iOS) has written a few times that disabling daemons is never a good idea. That's one reason why you have to use the "Pro" version of iCleaner. The developer was told to remove the daemon-disabling functionality of the regular iCleaner because it was loving up too many devices. So, the "Pro" version was made so people could keep loving with their devices - it's just not available from any of the default repositories.

Daemons don't actively use resources unless called by something. Basically, if they aren't being used, they aren't keeping RAM tied up or utilizing any CPU cycles. If they are needed, but disabled, something may crash. So, you gain little by disabling them, but risk trouble if you do.

Having "90%" of RAM in use may not be a big deal, as some of that RAM will be freed *immediately* for a program that needs it.

The biggest "performance boost" I've seen is just closing regular apps, and that only helps on the older, slower devices (such as the iPhone 3GS). The "KillBackground" tweak is perfect for that.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

savesthedayrocks posted:

Safe
developer daemons
ota update daemons
Air print
spotlight
vpn

Disabled these, and while I don't use BatteryDoctorPro, the phone is quite snappy, compared to before. I also cleared caches and stuff.

I like this tweak alot, and won't go crazy trying to disable all my daemons. I may re-enable the Log,dumb, crash report, because if a daemon does cause a crash, I'd like a log :q:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Anecdotal test:

My 4 used to run in the high 90% of RAM used on BatteryDoctorPro.

Used iCleaner Pro to disable the following daemons:
Safe
developer daemons
ota update daemons
assistive touch daemons
Air print
spotlight
chinese wlan
admin lite
voice control
game center
passbook
vpn
internet tethering
twitter

After restarting, BatteryDoctorPro says my used ram is at 58%
Most of these are probably pointless to turn off. The only ones I can see really making a difference Log, Dump and crash and Spotlight. But I like searching stuff so I wouldn't disable that. Really disabling any logging is probably where all the speed comes from anyway.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I've been using iCleaner for some time so I was more then happy to upgrade to the Pro version for some extra tweaking. I disabled a few of the above-mentioned daemons for a 12% RAM increase. Not a mind boggling improvement but they were all things I know I didn't use/need and as mentioned it's a simple matter to re-enable them if I run into problems down the line.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

How exactly does Cydia work by the way? I know it's run by Saurik, and he maybe gives some donations to the evasi0n team? Also, how's the JB dev teams organized, basically twitter?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Bouchacha posted:

How exactly does Cydia work by the way? I know it's run by Saurik, and he maybe gives some donations to the evasi0n team? Also, how's the JB dev teams organized, basically twitter?

Cydia is essentially just a browser for jailbroken apps/themes/tweaks/whatever. Cydia connects to a bunch of repositories (sources) and downloads their list of applications. From what I've heard, Saurik really doesn't make any money from Cydia, as the little profit he makes from the cut of paid downloads goes into server infrastructure and such. Saurik is quite active on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/user/saurik

Jailbreak dev teams are mostly active on IRC.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My dad just gave me his old iphone 4 so the first thing I did was jailbreak it. I used to have an ipod touch and I remembered loving sbsettings so I got that right away, and i got the clock thing from the OP too.

I have some problems with it though:

E: Red = hide/remove, Blue = move

Can you do that?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 28, 2013

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

My dad just gave me his old iphone 4 so the first thing I did was jailbreak it. I used to have an ipod touch and I remembered loving sbsettings so I got that right away, and i got the clock thing from the OP too.

I have some problems with it though:

Can you do that?

For the first image, can you use more words because a number of circles and some arrows explains nothing.

For the second one, you can indeed change SBSettings' themes, and it even comes with a few, though I'm not sure you'll be able to center them, you can at least add or remove toggles and make a more verbose list...I haven't used SBSettings in a while.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Done. I edited the post

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Done. I edited the post

Blimpkin posted:

By default, yes. I like that.

This site, which taught me what line to hcnage for my background has instructions on how to edit it to have the information fit the page: http://xsellize.com/topic/120812-mod-typophone-4/

Here's a post I made earlier about some similar things you need. The lockscreen is just a simple html document you can edit, which that link will lead you to understand how to change. You should be able to change everything you need, and while you'll probably mess up, just make sure you know how to SSH into the phone and backup the original.

Also be aware of changing the lock slider and possibly removing your ability to unlock the phone by accident.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Thanks.
If I change the images that it uses for the swipe thing, nothing should break though right because the phone should still pick up I'm touching that spot even if it has no image to show?

As it is I can put my finger where i want to move the arrows too and have it work but the arrows will be ahead of my finger.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Thanks.
If I change the images that it uses for the swipe thing, nothing should break though right because the phone should still pick up I'm touching that spot even if it has no image to show?

As it is I can put my finger where i want to move the arrows too and have it work but the arrows will be ahead of my finger.

Your guess is as good as mine.

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power

While I do not use Typophone mainly because it never worked on my 4S, when I used Winterboard I had my lock screen completely blank except for the time, date and wallpaper. Even though you could not see the unlock slider or the camera grabber they both still functioned.

Xenomorph posted:

Having "90%" of RAM in use may not be a big deal, as some of that RAM will be freed *immediately* for a program that needs it.
This is correct!

I am pretty sure this gets said on nearly every page of this thread but free memory is wasted memory with how iOS works except on some older devices, as in <4. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but the only reason to be concerned about free memory would be for battery life and really who isn't around a power plug at least a few times per day. If you aren't around a power plug and you use your phone enough to worry about killing the battery you should look into getting an external battery pack. Most of the improvements you notice when you phone has lots of free memory is placebo. Please note I am not an engineer (yet) and have limited experience outside of being a User (vs developer) but this is from everything I have read in this thread and on other websites. I think Saurik has addressed these issues on Reddit a few times. So before you start busting my balls and telling me how dumb I am please remember this applies to 99% of users, and if you are the 1% then I am sorry.

~Coxy posted:

On the Activator issue, I got rid of Activator and SBSettings because of the intermittent Home button not waking the phone from sleep.

Unfortunately that BatteryDoctor app that I replaced it with also seems to have the same issue so I'm guessing there's some similarity there in the way they tap into something.

Assuming you installed the BatteryDoctor Pro app that everyone has been talking about then it sounds like you have some other issue which is most likely specific to your phone. That is assuming that you are on a 4+. This comes from my experience using all three of these apps, even at the same time, and once again what I said above applies here (regarding my experience) Currently all I use is BDP because it has all the toggles I need and combined with fastblurredNC (Ryan Petrich's) it looks way better then any of the alternatives. I will say I missed having a SSH toggle, but that was before I realized there was no point to having one assuming you changed your SSH passwords and all that.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

AutoFool posted:

I will say I missed having a SSH toggle, but that was before I realized there was no point to having one assuming you changed your SSH passwords and all that.

SSH automatically is turned on with every phone reboot and in my experience is detrimental to battery life, so it's important to be able to turn it off. This is probably painfully obvious to everyone. Perhaps you were referring to those who installed OpenSSH, changed their root passwords, then uninstalled it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If you use Quasar , killing daemons to free up ram helps. Everything is always running at once and it pretty much breaks apple's memory prioritizing anyways (which is fine, I think it could use a lot of work) so you might as well do so to prevent apps you're actually currently using from shutting down just because Jobs' suspended soul thinks you weren't using it.

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power

decypher posted:

SSH automatically is turned on with every phone reboot and in my experience is detrimental to battery life, so it's important to be able to turn it off. This is probably painfully obvious to everyone. Perhaps you were referring to those who installed OpenSSH, changed their root passwords, then uninstalled it.

No I meant what I said. I have never experienced battery issues while using OpenSSH, so I would tend to believe this is more of a issue with your iPhone. If it was "painfully obvious" to everyone I would expect more people to be complaining about it. A quick Google search also showed that the problem with SSH draining the battery is limited to some devices. Saurik has also posted about the same thing more then a few times and I tried to find one of his posts but was unsuccessful.

I average twenty hours (rounded up to the nearest hour) of moderate usage per charge (games, music, lots of internet usage) and my phone only loses 4% (on average) overnight. If those are bad statistics for a 4S then I'll be damned.

If its going to be that big of a deal then I can post all the packages I use.

Edit: Trying not to be an rear end-hat or that big of one at least.

AutoFool fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 29, 2013

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
For me it's more about personal preference than anything else. I'd rather not have a service running when I'm not actively using it, particularly on a mobile device such as a cell phone or laptop.

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power
Now that is most certainly a good reason and I agree with you completely. From what I have read SSH is a daemon or it runs off the launchd(aemon) and knowing iCleaner Pro lets you disable some I just checked quickly to see if it would be possible to disable SSH that way, but either my logic is wrong or... well honestly I am most likely wrong because I have no clue how daemons work. I am excited to start learning all about it soon as I am relearning how to program and once the basics come back I will be turning to Objective-C.

Fake Edit: Have to run out the door so sorry if none of this makes any sense!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
OpenSSH certainly is not "running" on boot.

Like many things, it only loads when an incoming connection on port 22 is made. iOS starts (and stops) things automatically on request.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Xenomorph posted:

OpenSSH certainly is not "running" on boot.

Like many things, it only loads when an incoming connection on port 22 is made. iOS starts (and stops) things automatically on request.

I don't pretend to be an an expert, but what is listening for the connection on port 22? Wouldn't that be the daemon? How taxing the listener would be on resources I also won't pretend to know anything about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power

Rick Rickshaw posted:

what is listening for the connection on port 22? Wouldn't that be the daemon?

From my reading about it that is what launchd does. When launchd hears the connection it wakes up the SSH daemon or something magical like that.

• Locked thread