Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I think Royce is one of the most technically gifted rappers ever but his music has zero point and is somehow less deep than your average trap song and Slaughterhouse is way less than the sum of its parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4zXcbY7cpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZKGLMEVY7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOsjP33nF4

This doesn't really add anything to the conversation someone just brought up Slaughterhouse or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Papoose Nacirema Dream is out.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Royce is like Joe without all the depression and introspection. Which is boring unless he's with em then he's fine.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Robert Analog posted:

I think Royce is one of the most technically gifted rappers ever but his music has zero point and is somehow less deep than your average trap song and Slaughterhouse is way less than the sum of its parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4zXcbY7cpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZKGLMEVY7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOsjP33nF4

This doesn't really add anything to the conversation someone just brought up Slaughterhouse or something.

Yeah I would agree with that. I think Crooked I is the same deal which is why he hasn't been able to gather all that poo poo and make a good mixtape/album. I loved the hip hop weekly freestyles he used to do though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QZGeF0Xy2Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwB_5fcuh3E

Joe Budden surprised me with No Love Lost tho + the music video for Castles came out a week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0EmdI0vzVE

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

little munchkin posted:

Thanks for clearing that up. It's seemed kinda sexist the way you initially phrased it, but "bitches" is indeed the proper technical term for those girls.

Umm Bitches is still sexist? The proper term is hoochie mama or skizzank.

And as for the Royce stuff, he's pretty good at rapping but as has been pointed out, isn't always good at making songs people want to hear. I will say street hop was good and had a few songs showing off his ability to make good music and stuff.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 28, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Profondo Rosso posted:

Right on man. I also appreciate the great breadth of topics that make rappers like drake and Gibbs so talented and well liked (lol).

alansmithee posted:

And again, you're not making any sense about the commercial stuff. The vast majority of "commercial" records are club heavy because that's what sells. They don't switch topics, they just try to copy what sold before. Jay Z hasn't said anything new or unique or switched topics for 15+ years, and he still sells tons of poo poo. On the other hand, Drake talks about exactly 3 things: how rich he is, how sad he is, and how sad he is because he's rich. And for all I like Gibbs, he's definitely not a diverse rapper.
Drake's songs are about different topics, just naming songs on the radio now: Started from the bottom, 5 Am in Toronto, Fuckin problems, Poetic Justice are all about different things.

Gibbs rappers interestingly about his life and lifestyle. Just because someone is talking tough doesn't mean they aren't describing different aspects of it. That is what real is: when people talk about the details and I don't mean fake dope prices. Its when a rapper tells a convincing story with little touches, reflections, whatever that makes it complete.

You can say the same for Danny Brown, Kendrick Lamar, Ghostface, Pac, Biggie, basically any rapper with longevity.

Jigga had to run out of topics eventually. But Ain't No Nigga, Money Cash Hoes, Ay Papi, Girls, Big Pimpin, Song Cry are about 'girls' but they are all different in their own ways. Pretty good span of years and producers if you ask me. He's made something with everyone relevant.

temple fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 28, 2013

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Royce is one of my fav rappers do this thread just made me depressed :)

...but yeah. He can't make good songs on his own.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

Drake's songs are about different topics, just naming songs on the radio now: Started from the bottom, 5 Am in Toronto, Fuckin problems, Poetic Justice are all about different things.

Gibbs rappers interestingly about his life and lifestyle. Just because someone is talking tough doesn't mean they aren't describing different aspects of it. That is what real is: when people talk about the details and I don't mean fake dope prices. Its when a rapper tells a convincing story with little touches, reflections, whatever that makes it complete.

You can say the same for Danny Brown, Kendrick Lamar, Ghostface, Pac, Biggie, basically any rapper with longevity.

Jigga had to run out of topics eventually. But Ain't No Nigga, Money Cash Hoes, Ay Papi, Girls, Big Pimpin, Song Cry are about 'girls' but they are all different in their own ways. Pretty good span of years and producers if you ask me. He's made something with everyone relevant.

Drake songs you mentioned: money, money, money/sad, sad

And to paraphrase a wise man, what the gently caress is radio?

I think in a lot of ways I actually like a lot of the poo poo you like musicwise. But, a lot of the ideas you have about music are like, objectively wrong or you move the goalposts so fast you can't derive any meaning or point from what you actually say.

Like, Gibbs is a gangsta rapper. That's what he is. He's an extremely gifted rapper, but his topics don't diverge much at all. Going back to Gucci, he puts just as many flourishes into his poo poo and diverges just as much. Also Gucci has some major label success to his name, whereas Gibbs got bumped off Interscope and has floated around making mixtapes and not working with nearly the roster of super producers you seem to favor.

Or a dude like Wayne who you've poo poo on before, he's actually a fairly diverse rapper and has evolved over his rap career where you look at the songs you mentioned by Jay-Z, they're pretty much the same poo poo, same flow, same everything. And Wayne's worked with just as many "relevant" dudes. By what you've set out ("diversity", "relevance", working with relevant dudes, major label, etc) Wayne should be like your favorite dude, yet you were trying to poo poo all over him.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

John Brown posted:

Royce is one of my fav rappers do this thread just made me depressed :)

...but yeah. He can't make good songs on his own.

Royce is probably my #1 favorite rapper going so you've got a friend. I often just want to hear a dude rapping, really well. Plus he works with Premier a lot, so bonus.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

On Fuckin' Problems, Drake's verse was better than Kendrick Lamar's.

Admitting you like Drake is the new bridge to cross in Hip Hop now that it's cool/not an affront to masculinity to be a rapper and endorse gay marriage.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

On Fuckin' Problems, Drake's verse was better than Kendrick Lamar's.

Everyone is allowed their opinion but I disagree. I liked that Kendrick wasn't to serious with that verse, and that actually made it more enjoyable.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Admitting you like Drake is the new bridge to cross in Hip Hop now that it's cool/not an affront to masculinity to be a rapper and endorse gay marriage.

What are you talking about?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Interesting drake discussion but hold up: eric b is on the cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nfj4Y9WdUQ

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rick Ross likes to rape stuff. Thanks to Byron Crawford for this.
http://www.byroncrawford.com/2013/03/this-is-at-least-the-fourth-time-rawse-has-rapped-about-non-consensual-lovemaking.html

alansmithee posted:

Like, Gibbs is a gangsta rapper. That's what he is. He's an extremely gifted rapper, but his topics don't diverge much at all. Going back to Gucci, he puts just as many flourishes into his poo poo and diverges just as much. Also Gucci has some major label success to his name, whereas Gibbs got bumped off Interscope and has floated around making mixtapes and not working with nearly the roster of super producers you seem to favor.
Gucci is cool. I hope didn't say he sucked because he's cool.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Profondo Rosso posted:

Right on man. I also appreciate the great breadth of topics that make rappers like drake and Gibbs so talented and well liked (lol).

I'm convinced your just trolling the thread at this time. I mean, big l is goat to a lot of people and dude literally always rapped about the same poo poo, with the slight exception of tracks mandated by the label for mainstream potential.

temple went from the dude with a 5% avatar to talking about Drake as a great rapper and hailing the mainstream, I'm pretty sure dude is in full on troll mode at this point

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Gonna have to agree with alan on this one. Although I think pretty much everyone in this thread likes the same type of music with a handful of common deviations (mostly around polarizing acts like Keef, Odd Future, RiffRaff et al).

Though I think it is worth mentioning that the reason big-name producer doesn't mean as much these days is because digital equipment is so affordable that any hungry enough dude can get out there and learn to get pretty good at producing hip-hop. Just look at emerging talent like Young Chop and even one-off producers who you've never even heard of that come out of nowhere with something amazing (like that Money Trees beat that samples Beach House or even though it isn't hiphop: the Weeknd's entire first album, free album with imho unprecedented production values)

edit: and as a white guy who grew up in black schools, I do question why I like what I like sometimes and it is definitely uncomfortable. At the end of the day, despite mixed feelings, I truly have a genuine fondness and appreciation for rap and just have to hope that is ok. Seemingly a lot of white people who are into rap are either into it semi-ironically or just flock to a certain subset of popular rap acts (eg. the ones Pitchfork promotes heavily) that are easier for the avg white person to digest. Some of the other white kids who grew up in the same schools as me only appreciate rap nostalgically (like the songs we all loved in high school such as Bling Bling and all that classic Cash Money and 36 poo poo) but don't really keep up with it these days. Shrug.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 28, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
double-post whatever but temple I don't think it really helps your case of not being a troll when you actively defend Drake but poo poo on Lil Wayne. I like both, but that really has me scratching my head. Not that they are stylistically similar at all really but what general merits or credentials does Drake have that Wayne doesn't besides that he can sing relatively better. I'm guessing it is something about how Wayne is a pretend thug and Drake is not afraid to buck that trend?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

alansmithee posted:

I don't think this is true at all. Nobody has said that by being some super technical rapper you're guaranteed to make good music. I think everyone has said the opposite. Although I'd say that being a good technical rapper would give you an advantage in being able to vary your cadence to do a variety of different things.

No I just think that people use the word technical or the idea of what technical is very narrowly. Like technical just means stringing as many rhymes together as possible. Yeah, that can be technical but I like to think of rapping quality with a more complex spectrum. This allows me to enjoy more types of rap without guilt. No, Gucci Mane does not (usually) rap with a machine gun tempo and multisyllabics strewn every where. But if you listen for other qualitative values I think you will find them pretty often, actually. For example Gucci uses pretty good imagery and humor, along with a good ability to convey the fact that he gives roughly zero fucks in his raps. That's just an example and a pretty quick one, also I agree with thathonkey in that it can become tiring/not very fun to justify the rap music you like.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I don't know why everyone says Trinidad James is a bad rapper. His mixtape was fire.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
He came across quite likeable in his Nardwuar interview.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

thathonkey posted:

Seemingly a lot of white people who are into rap are either into it semi-ironically or just flock to a certain subset of popular rap acts (eg. the ones Pitchfork promotes heavily) that are easier for the avg white person to digest. Some of the other white kids who grew up in the same schools as me only appreciate rap nostalgically (like the songs we all loved in high school such as Bling Bling and all that classic Cash Money and 36 poo poo) but don't really keep up with it these days. Shrug.

I made a post similar to this and got buried for it. But I guess it's ok for you to say it because you're white?? I'm not attacking you specifically but all the dudes in here who gave me poo poo for it. As I said, when a lot of these young white kids grow up they won't give a shot about rap.

E: and of course this is generally speaking. You guys in here are most likely the exception to this.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Wezlar posted:

temple went from the dude with a 5% avatar to talking about Drake as a great rapper and hailing the mainstream, I'm pretty sure dude is in full on troll mode at this point

I think you're thinking of dethkon with the avatar but this thread has been a fun read in the last 80 posts

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I don't have a huge problem with Drake, but some of his hooks are so weird and awkward. It's so strange to see a high end rapper of such high fame and success bust out the strangest, half-sing song melodies that sound weird as gently caress.

Example: http://youtu.be/2lTB1pIg1y0

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

John Brown posted:

I made a post similar to this and got buried for it. But I guess it's ok for you to say it because you're white?? I'm not attacking you specifically but all the dudes in here who gave me poo poo for it. As I said, when a lot of these young white kids grow up they won't give a shot about rap.

E: and of course this is generally speaking. You guys in here are most likely the exception to this.

be white, bump dead prez "i'm a african"

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Who cares if some radiohead fan reads pitchfork and decides they like danny brown now? It just doesnt matter to me at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57glhmDjUy4

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

InnercityGriot posted:

Eh, brevity is great, a lack of substance or a unique aesthetic is not.

It's funny, I work with high-school age kids in the city, and it's weird you use that example because kids are REALLY into the Wu, whereas a lot of the other 90's era stuff gets forgotten. I like Jay-Z, but kids are not listening to his catalog anymore. Something is clearly going on where they are making a judgement as to why one relic is acceptable over the other, and I'm pretty sure catchiness is not the reason. There's nothing wrong with treating hip-hop music as a form that requires a little bit of deeper consideration than "I like it cause it sounds gud" although I'm still not entirely sure what the correct method of going about it is.

Hip-hop discussion has been allowed to be incredibly reductive and boring for a few years, I think, and it's a little weird that a form that is so functionally similar to poetry isn't allowed a similar level of critical analysis, mostly by its fans. I'm pretty open-minded and willing to be convinced, and if someone were to give me an explanation of why, for example, Chief Keef's Love Sosa isn't just a repetitive drone due to a completely staid rhyme scheme with unimaginative lyrics and a struggle to make words rhyme, maybe I'd like it better, but instead, I'd probably get some idiot saying, "You don't get it". I guess I just wish the conversation in hip-hop was better than people regurgitating mediafire links to some mixtape they're going to delete in a week and saying it's hot.

I think all good AND successful rappers keep it real and that's why 36 Chambers might be getting more burn that Reasonable Doubt with these kids. I love Reasonable Doubt, but it's 20 years later and Jay is the old head rapping on adult contemporary radio with JT every 10 minutes. Whereas with Wu-Tang, even though those guys are the same age now it feels like they'd be on the same hoodies and Timbs, rolling dice in the alley type poo poo to this day, because nothing in the interim has really dampened that image. Obviously evolution might be necessary for artists at some point, and Jay is on a level where poo poo like this doesn't matter anymore, but I would argue that to consistently be relevant in rap music you need to produce content in a way that stays true to both the environment that birthed you, and the environment that birthed the art form.

That's why Sosa is a hit. Is the flow any more staid then some respected Run DMC poo poo? What's really important is it's visceral and he keeps it 100x3. He's a 17 year old from a grimey rear end hood who made a fuckload of money with his boys and succeeds because he raps from that perspective. Joey Bada$$ is the same age, but I feel like he wants to rap open a time warp to 1995. Maybe that's just him, and I fuckin love Unorthodox, but I don't see him really blowing up until he learns to temper that. Drake is successful because he can go hard, dumb down, and rap about upper-middle class Toronto suburban living in a way that is relatable to dudes from all brackets.

gohmak posted:

Papoose Nacirema Dream is out.

livin in this Nacirema Dream I'm able, to push the Maybach like an extra day in April

Here's a rapper who is real, technically skilled, but also able to spit witty one liners. The album's got The Heatmakerz, Dame Grease, DJ Premier (best track on the album IMO), Jadakiss, Remy Ma..there hasn't been a NY album like this in a while. Plus I really respect dude's grind, considering it's been 10 years since I was bumping those Streetsweeper tapes in high school. I'm copping this off GP and you should too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6OaN-3qWA

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 29, 2013

temple
Jul 29, 2006

thathonkey posted:

I'm guessing it is something about how Wayne is a pretend thug and Drake is not afraid to buck that trend?
That's it and he's unmitigated ignorance, inside and outside of music.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

John Brown posted:

I am just speaking anecdotally from what I have seen happen in my circles of friends over the years since we graduated from high school... Certainly not trying to make sweeping judgements

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

GET MONEY posted:

livin in this Nacirema Dream I'm able, to push the Maybach like an extra day in April

Here's a rapper who is real, technically skilled, but also able to spit witty one liners. The album's got The Heatmakerz, Dame Grease, DJ Premier (best track on the album IMO), Jadakiss, Remy Ma..there hasn't been a NY album like this in a while. Plus I really respect dude's grind, considering it's been 10 years since I was bumping those Streetsweeper tapes in high school. I'm copping this off GP and you should too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6OaN-3qWA

The album is really growing on me, Papoose did very well. Much better than Saigon's Greatest Story Never Told.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

phractured posted:

I don't know why everyone says Trinidad James is a bad rapper. His mixtape was fire.

When he was on Combat Jack he was talking about how his mixtape was varied and not all like All Gold Everything but when I actually listened to his mixtape, every track had similar production, flow, and lyrical content. I was just disappointed with how it compared to how he represented it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha, even Weezy thinks his new album blows.

https://soundcloud.com/power106la/copy-of-wayne-1-into-rich-as/

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Did you actually listen to the whole thing? He said he was joking and thinks its awesome.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

He's a bit heavy on the dick stuff but otherwise I think it's solid. It's not peak level but nothing that's horrible.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
el-p is almost done recording his next album according to his FB

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

THNDRTHF posted:

el-p is almost done recording his next album according to his FB

I like el p but half the time I see him in video I kind of crack up. Dudes awesome, but it's like watching someone's kind of embarrassing dad rap

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fyallm posted:

Did you actually listen to the whole thing? He said he was joking and thinks its awesome.

It's not the first time he's poo poo-talked the album. I seriously doubt he was joking, he just backtracked because he knows he's supposed to try and promote it or whatever.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Profondo Rosso posted:

I like el p but half the time I see him in video I kind of crack up. Dudes awesome, but it's like watching someone's kind of embarrassing dad rap

I agree with this 100%. Dude makes great music, but he often looks so corny/out of place in his videos. Although I thought the Huzzah remix wasn't quite as bad since there was dudes there equally as corny.

And I've been listening more to Tyler's new album and...I think it's so far the best rap album of the year. I know he gets (or got, when people were giving a gently caress about OF) compared a lot to Em, but really I get a lot more of Kanye from him. Not so much in lyrics, but the tone. He's pulling in a lot more influences production wise on this album as well. Honestly I wasn't really looking forward to this (especially after Domo23, the first single) but it's really a great album.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Haven't listened to IANAHB 2 yet but Future and Drake absolutely murder that hook on Love Me. Future is much more enjoyable when he sings in that range because he doesn't need autotune to cover it up. I don't mind autotune, I just hate when it's used out of a singer's range and their voice does the transformers-like voice crack.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

BigGhost on IANAHB2 http://www.okayplayer.com/news/rap-big-ghost-reviews-lil-wayne-i-am-not-a-human-being-ii-ianahb-2.html

I figured that would have been posted by now.

temple fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Can anyone recommend some good two chainz/tity boi stuff? I've been listening to more of him and his earlier work is pretty rad

• Locked thread