Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Some of the lower tier rewards are in German I see.

Threw in for the game and book. I had always meant to pick up the book and the game seems pretty cool.

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Somebody actually bought the GOAT STARE package.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
RIOT: A riot simulator for iOS, Android, PC, and Mac http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/riot--4/x/2702282

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
A friend of mine is directing a very cool art initiative to aid in bringing our city out of the stagnating, dreary hole it's been stuck in for the last decade. Street Art Walking (SAW) is a art project with a task of painting empty public spaces in the locale of Newcastle, Australia. SAW wants the city to come alive with artworks, dispersed throughout the streets, creating a public art walk for all to enjoy, locals and tourists. Their main goal is to bring back a sense of pride within our streets, while showcasing artistic talent. SAW's murals have transformed laneways and alleys from drab and dangerous areas (attracting negative behavior) into attractive places drawing people and commercial activity back into Newcastle's struggling CBD.

She's been recently invited to be part of Project for Public Spaces inaugural event 'Placemaking Leadership Council Meeting' which is to be held in Detroit, Michigan on 10-12th April, 2013 to share her ideas and knowledge on transforming public spaces and providing business opportunities for artists.

I think it's a pretty worthy cause and Detroit could certainly benefit from her experience, but she needs help getting there. Her pledge page is located here: http://www.pozible.com/archive/index/18486#p2

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
It delights me that she's going from Newcastle to Detroit; I used to live in Newcastle, and I describe it to outsiders as "the Detroit of Australia". It's cool that she's working on CBD revitalisation, because God knows that Newcastle needs it - and it needs an independent artist to take the initiative, because the authorities certainly won't.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Avshalom posted:

It delights me that she's going from Newcastle to Detroit; I used to live in Newcastle, and I describe it to outsiders as "the Detroit of Australia". It's cool that she's working on CBD revitalisation, because God knows that Newcastle needs it - and it needs an independent artist to take the initiative, because the authorities certainly won't.

Yeah, I admire her determination, especially since Newcastle Council is particularly worthless at improving the aesthetics of the city... all they ever do is cut down trees and put in more parking meters. She receives next to no support from them, so I especially love that a foreign city with similar problems to Newcastle values her input and hard work enough to invite her to come and share it with them.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Mojo: an FPGA board designed from the ground up to be hobbyist-friendly.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1106670630/mojo-digital-design-for-the-hobbyist

It includes headers for creating shields, which makes me wonder if it could be programmed to drive 3D printers like an Arduino Mega.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Reggie and The Full Effect

Reggie and The Full Effect are releasing a new album through Kickstarter called No Country for Old Musicians. One of my favorite bands of all times and he was the drummer in the Get Up Kids before Reggie. I am pretty excited about this one, alot of the rewards are pretty awesome, he will even officiate your wedding if you choose that reward level.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Do you guys think we should use this thread to comment when we get the Kickstarter projects?

I just got my Pebble. It's pretty neat. There's not a lot of things out for it yet, but I really should just grab the SDK and bang out a few simple apps.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Saint Darwin posted:

Do you guys think we should use this thread to comment when we get the Kickstarter projects?
I think that's a great idea; I'm a participant in both the Ogre and Traveller kickstarters and am expecting physical rewards from both.

quote:

I just got my Pebble. It's pretty neat. There's not a lot of things out for it yet, but I really should just grab the SDK and bang out a few simple apps.
Does it seem 'sturdy' to you? I've read complaints that it wasn't constructed very solid.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

fondue posted:

I think that's a great idea; I'm a participant in both the Ogre and Traveller kickstarters and am expecting physical rewards from both.
Does it seem 'sturdy' to you? I've read complaints that it wasn't constructed very solid.

The actual watchface is pretty good. The buttons have more travel than I would have imagined but otherwise it's good.

The band is crap, but it's a stock plastic band. It's actually way better than other plastic watch bands I've used but it's still not the best.

I'm probably going to replace it with a NATO band just because.

edit: The only other complaint is that there really does not seem to be a lot of apps and plugins for it yet. I found one that sends all my Android notifications to it, but I've had to turn it off because Spotify sends the same notification 3-4 times in a row during a song, and there seems to be no way to turn off notifications in Spotify (thanks guys)

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Mar 19, 2013

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Saint Darwin posted:

edit: The only other complaint is that there really does not seem to be a lot of apps and plugins for it yet. I found one that sends all my Android notifications to it, but I've had to turn it off because Spotify sends the same notification 3-4 times in a row during a song, and there seems to be no way to turn off notifications in Spotify (thanks guys)

Unless its what you're already using, I think Lightflow can do something similar (and you can pick and choose which apps' notifications get sent), plus if you have a multi-color LED on your phone it is nice for getting full spectrum notifications on the phone itself.

What color did you get? I saw in the last update they had just started making the red faces, I'm hoping my grey watch isn't going to get here in the fall. :(

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

sirbeefalot posted:

Unless its what you're already using, I think Lightflow can do something similar (and you can pick and choose which apps' notifications get sent), plus if you have a multi-color LED on your phone it is nice for getting full spectrum notifications on the phone itself.

What color did you get? I saw in the last update they had just started making the red faces, I'm hoping my grey watch isn't going to get here in the fall. :(

That looks alright, I just hate the idea of having to pay for an app, at least at this point.

I got black.

edit: VVVVV Following their progress and an interview they did with a bunch of other Kickstarter projects, the most successful ones seem to be the most screwed for time because they never planned to do a tenth of the reward "preorders" they got, let alone adding in an actual production run to sell later. Even companies which have put out products for decades said "it's literal insanity trying to deal with that many people, that much money, and that much production in the timeframe we estimated."

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Mar 19, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

I ordered a red one, so theoretically it should be here sometime in the next few weeks, but honestly, I'm sticking with the same attitude I've had about that thing for the past like 10 months - I'll believe they even exist the moment I see one and not a second earlier. At this stage, I'll just be glad to get one before the heat death of the universe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kickstart Cobra:

quote:

We are COBRA, a worldwide organization devoted to making advancements in science and defense technology.

Recently our home and secret base of operations was destroyed in an attack by the terrorist militia known as GI JOE.

So after discussing a plan of action with my colleagues DESTRO, DR. MINDBENDER, and our business analysts TOMAX and XAMOT, we reached the conclusion that we need $94 billion to fully restore COBRA ISLAND and the COBRA organization.

Thanks,

COBRA COMMANDER

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

If we're doing Kickstart product reviews I'll throw in a couple that I backed.

Pocket TV - pretty cool and well designed but other than the first weekend it showed up I haven't used it much. My computer is already hooked up to my TV so it's just a slower android PC for my TV. At some point I'll find a use for it or just continue to use it for occasional gaming.

Bosavi Headlamp - I love it and use it a few hours a week minimum. I should have ordered two because I bring it to work every day for working on stuff that comes up on occasion, otherwise it lives in the garage and is a lot more convenient than a regular flashlight. The red and red strobe are pointless to me but can be disabled, the regular light is bright and battery life is good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

edit: VVVVV Following their progress and an interview they did with a bunch of other Kickstarter projects, the most successful ones seem to be the most screwed for time because they never planned to do a tenth of the reward "preorders" they got, let alone adding in an actual production run to sell later. Even companies which have put out products for decades said "it's literal insanity trying to deal with that many people, that much money, and that much production in the timeframe we estimated."
I can understand and appreciate that, but the Pebble team handled backer communication absolutely terribly. They were hands-down the worst at that out of any project I've backed. I've had other projects delayed by months, but those teams/people were completely open and transparent about what was going on, what the plan for the future was, and when the product would see the light of day; as a result, backers were almost entirely cool with the delays. The Pebble team acted like backers should consider themselves honored to get any information at all. I'm sure the end product is/will be just fine, but I'll be buggered if they're ever seeing another dollar from me.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Pocket TV - pretty cool and well designed but other than the first weekend it showed up I haven't used it much. My computer is already hooked up to my TV so it's just a slower android PC for my TV. At some point I'll find a use for it or just continue to use it for occasional gaming.
Yeah, I had the same experience with the Equiso. The remote control for it is pretty cool - it tracks well, and having the keyboard just right on the back of it is great - but in the time between backing it and receiving it I ended up hooking my PC up to my TV anyway, so it's kind of redundant now.

As for some other stuff:
The three pen projects I backed - Eco Essential, STP, and PHX - are all pretty great. The Eco pen is a little too light for my liking, but otherwise that and the STP are great dual pen/stylus things. If you like a nice pen, I seriously recommend the STP one in particular - it's got a nice finish, accepts a wide range of refills, and has about the right amount of heft to it. I'd be totally happy to back just about anything else those guys do. They were one of the projects I mentioned above, where they had some production issues and had to delay shipping, but since they were completely open and transparent about it, basically every backer actively paying attention to the project was fine with it.

Remee still seems like a cool idea, but I always seem to end up just pulling the thing off in my sleep, so it really hasn't done poo poo for me.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

I can understand and appreciate that, but the Pebble team handled backer communication absolutely terribly. They were hands-down the worst at that out of any project I've backed. I've had other projects delayed by months, but those teams/people were completely open and transparent about what was going on, what the plan for the future was, and when the product would see the light of day; as a result, backers were almost entirely cool with the delays. The Pebble team acted like backers should consider themselves honored to get any information at all. I'm sure the end product is/will be just fine, but I'll be buggered if they're ever seeing another dollar from me.

Really? I thought their communications were pretty good. Pictures of the process, technical info as to exactly which stage of the process they were on. They didn't give a timeline because if they didn't make it they'd probably have thousands of angry emails and comments screeching about what a terrible bunch of people they are.

Given that the Pebble Kickstarter ended around the time some playing cards did (I keep funding those for some reason), and the playing card one sent roughly an update every. single. loving. day. After that I like how Pebble was ~monthly with real information, instead of daily "Hey I talked to a dude today at the factory so this is coming really soon don't worry guys!!" for what was a loving 2 step project.

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Mar 20, 2013

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

Really? I thought their communications were pretty good. Pictures of the process, technical info as to exactly which stage of the process they were on. They didn't give a timeline because if they didn't make it they'd probably have thousands of angry emails and comments screeching about what a terrible bunch of people they are.

Given that the Pebble Kickstarter ended around the time some playing cards did (I keep funding those for some reason), and the playing card one sent roughly an update every. single. loving. day. After that I like how Pebble was ~monthly with real information, instead of daily "Hey I talked to a dude today at the factory so this is coming really soon don't worry guys!!" for what was a loving 2 step project.

Building hardware is difficult and risky. Building hardware, software, and all the physical dressings for a device is insane. I agree - I thought their communication was as good as you could expect. These things take time and unknown unknowns pop up to delay you. I'm disappointed that it took so long, but these things happen. I'm pretty happy with Pebble's communication about it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

quote:

Hi there,

This is a message from Kickstarter Support. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, Kaiju Combat - Giant Monsters. Awesome Fighting. Online., is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.

The law requires that we remove the project from public view until the process is complete or the dispute is resolved (please see our Copyright and DMCA Policy for more info). Because the project already ended successfully, your pledge hasn’t been affected. The creator should still be able to move forward with the project (and send any unfulfilled rewards). If you have any questions, though, you can still message the creator from the project page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/kaiju-combat-giant-monsters-awesome-fighting-onlin?ref=email

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation,
Kickstarter

:iamafag:

Well that's new.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I love kickstarter, but some kickstarter stuff is an almost perfect real-life example of "the million-dollar order that bankrupts/collapses a company".

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

This is loving amazing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Saint Darwin posted:

:iamafag:

Well that's new.

It was Wizards of the Coast, apparently.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Toffile posted:

Again? They also shut down the Rusty kickstarter. Hopefully the Kaiju Combat people will also manage to work out a deal with them and get things moving eventually.

Edit: And apparently they claim it's infringing a property called Kaijudo; I guess they don't realize that Kaiju is a real word?

Sefer has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Mar 21, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Toffile posted:

Wow, they're saying THEIR property was infringed because of the name? This poo poo looks exactly like Yu-Gi-oh

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sefer posted:

Again? They also shut down the Rusty kickstarter.

Shut it down, but through proper usage of lawyering, all Rusties pledged for were fulfilled and everything but the actual KS page went back up.

He is super soft and cuddly, probably my favourite thing that I've Kickstarted for.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I saw this today, and it looks pretty interesting.

Two adopted women, one American, the other French, with a striking resemblance towards eachother discover that share the same birthday and were probably born in Seoul. If one of them didn't become an actor, they probably wouldn't have learned of each other. They plan to meet up, find out if they're twins or not, and make a documentary of it.

Even if they end up not being twins, I always wanted to see what happens when people meet their virtual doppelganger.

Echo Chamber has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Mar 22, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Build a library with a sustainable business model in Africa.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
OpenShot port for Windows and Mac

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/421164014/openshot-video-editor-for-windows-mac-and-linux

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
If you liked The Reward http://vimeo.com/58179094 (you probably did!) then you should totes back the kickstarter for its sequel before it is too late! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1862188728/the-reward-tales-of-alethrion

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Stripped is a comic strip documentary, which is pretty interesting in itself, until you go a bit further down and read this:

quote:

STRIPPED is a love-letter to comic strips. It brings together the world’s best cartoonists to talk about the art form they love, and what happens to it as newspapers die. Over 90 interviews were conducted, including the first-ever audio interview with Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes),

And that's about when I stopped reading and just gave them money.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Moreleth posted:

If you liked The Reward http://vimeo.com/58179094 (you probably did!) then you should totes back the kickstarter for its sequel before it is too late! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1862188728/the-reward-tales-of-alethrion

Looks like The Reward might make it after a bit of a slow start, 3 days to go, get in there if you're interested.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Larian Studios next game Divinity: Original Sin is on Kickstarter right now. The game is a prequel to the other Divinity games (Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Divinity 2, and the upcoming Divinity: Dragon Commander) but this time it's a turn-based RPG that you can also play in coop. They are including modding tools as well. The higher reward tiers will get you a digital copy of Dragon Commander.

Check out their backer-exclusive in-game item:

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Apr 3, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Fuel: The world's smallest cell phone charger. It's a keyring accessory that can power a cellphone for an extra 30 minutes. $20 through the campaign, or $25 afterwards.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Holy poo poo, I love it :3:

Perfect combination of cute, neat, simple, (probably) useful, and not too expensive. A great gadget that would also make a great gift.

Laser engraved branding on it would also make a pretty sweet (albeit expensive) promo item.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

This is my current project:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/goodbye-smile-mile-album/x/2877308

It's a concept album of sorts for kids (both big and small). I'm going to make this album if it kills me, the campaign is my attempt to try to not lose too much on the whole process.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I've never backed anything on Kickstarter before but I'm a sucker for dumb cyberpunk trinkets so I've pledged for both of these campaigns:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4pm/grid-20-bicycle-playing-cards

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460165270/albino-dragons-synthesis-playing-cards

If you like weird sci-fi themed trinkets they're worth checking out.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
One of my friends has been working on a board game for a while, and recently he's gotten it to the point where it can be produced and sold. His kickstaarter is to cover the cost of a first print run.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/882945512/era-of-the-ninja

I helped him demo it at Gen Con last year, and it is ridiculously fun. I ran the full game 4 times and the demo version maybe thirty or so times, and I still didn't get tired of playing it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

cyberia posted:

I've never backed anything on Kickstarter before but I'm a sucker for dumb cyberpunk trinkets so I've pledged for both of these campaigns:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4pm/grid-20-bicycle-playing-cards

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460165270/albino-dragons-synthesis-playing-cards

If you like weird sci-fi themed trinkets they're worth checking out.

I got the original Grid cards as well as their Mythos design, so word of warning, they will send NON STOP UPDATES. I think I got something insane like 50 from them in total (EDIT: The Mythos cards sent 74 updates, the Grid cards sent 41). They treat the whole process like a super complicated keep-track-of-everything-or-people-will-lose-their-poo poo individually handcrafted and numbered item when all they do is submit the design and money to Bicycle, who does the actual printing.

Just...just disable email notification for that project unless you really really want to get 5 separate updates about the state of the uncut collector's sheets.

edit: The product themselves are nice though, and I'm a sucker for cool playing card packs.

edit2: VVVV Craaap, I wanted the Necronomicon ones. I still say 41 updates for a pack of dumb playing cards is way too much.

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
You're conflating the two groups. Grid and Necronomicon were by the same people, and Cthulhu and Synthesis were both done by a different one. Albino Dragon (doing Synthesis right now) are pretty sedate with updates, mostly invites to live-drawing Google Hangouts weekly, that sort of thing.

• Locked thread