Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kastein posted:

So tell me. How exactly did that spring a sudden leak again, if you've been driving "your" '37 Ford (which was your dad's and you were helping restore it, when you first yapped about it here, and is now magically yours, just like the taps, hardware bins, house, and turbos) since everyone told you to stop being an idiot and fix your brakes before you kill someone?

Go fix your loving car and stop :justpost:ing! Really, we can handle life on the internet without your input, please fix your hoopty so you don't kill someone.

I can't even tell if you're trolling or just a total loving retard at this point and I don't care. I'd donate to your permaban just so I wouldn't have to read everyone else getting annoyed at your posts (which I generally have on ignore to prevent more rageposts like this one.)

loving fix your loving tupperwaremobile. It has clearly been acting up since early December (that is nearly 4 months ago!) and I don't believe your claims of having parked it a few weeks ago in the slightest.

e: I'm not alone in that permaban sentiment, either. I've spoken with quite a number of other AIers in person and online and at least a dozen others want you gone too, whether you're a troll or just a loving dimwit, you're making GBS threads the place up and doing the same in games apparently too.

As for things I did to my car today:
I blew up the starter in my truck yesterday, so I bump started it through all my errands till I got home, got the new one out of the parts car today. Also, remounted the seats in Commissargribb's jeep, fixed some wiring, worked on a few other random things I forget, pulled a front dana 60 at the junkyard that I need to install and got a few spare dana 60 hubs for my other comanche project. Next up, install starter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Car has been parked since March 18th. I haven't been able to fix it due to my extremely busy schedule, and because I'm poor as gently caress right now. As for bothering people in Games, I have only seen one complaint and that was by someone who posts in AI as well as Games :colbert:.

Billy Tully posted:

You claim to have what, 10k in the bank and you cant fix your stupid shitbox?

I claimed that, yes, and I also claimed I was going to import a Fozzie STi to the States legally.

ANYWAYS, My brake lines seem to be fine, I asked for Saturday off so I can take care of this while I have some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I was going to do this last weekend but that was my wisdom teeth so today was ALL FLUIDS DAY hooray!

Alright lets get this show on the road!

Oil pretty much went everywhere except the catch can and the filter was on like Hulk Smash tight so I had to improvise

loving oil getting on everything anyways :suicide:

Well after that poo poo hole mess I topped her off and she runs like a champ now! At least I won't have to do the transmission and differential for another 30k :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I was going to do this last weekend but that was my wisdom teeth so today was ALL FLUIDS DAY hooray!

You need a new dentist if those are the recommended fluids.

Good for you. Working after that sort of thing is both a pain and a much needed distraction.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

General_Failure posted:

You need a new dentist if those are the recommended fluids.

If you know of something better I'm all ears; I'm a hypochondriac when it comes to maintaining my cars and love to get all the advice I can. But yeah, today was a welcome distraction indeed, just need to give it a wash now!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Wait a minute, theres not supposed to be a fine spray of oil everywhere in the engine bay:

After cleaning up it looks like it comes out of this turbo hose:

Well im pretty sure thats supposed to fit nicely and not sit there all crooked:

Oh for fucks sake...

So thats what i did today: Getting pissed of because someone got their bolts confused after putting in my new turbo. So now there is a very happy hex bolt somewhere in my car which had a very funny mixup with a torx bolt that now sits crooked and partially stripped on my turbo. Well i can't blame them for only getting it in crooked and stripping it because you cant really reach it because the loving hose is in the way because its the wrong loving spot for that kind of bolt!
Next time my turbo implodes i'll just do it myself at the side of the road.
So now i know what i'll do tommorrow: Find a bolt that fits, and spend the rest of the day trying to somehow get that torx rear end in a top hat out of there without completely stripping it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Shai-Hulud posted:

So now i know what i'll do tommorrow: Find a bolt that fits, and spend the rest of the day trying to somehow get that torx rear end in a top hat out of there without completely stripping it.

1/4 drive T25 (or whatever it is) bit insert and a 1/4 wrench... I've been there. You can use a flat prybar to apply pressure to the back of the insert too.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Up until now, I have been indifferent about not being provided a spare, but instead having a can of goop and a pump. It's that time of the month when I check both cars' tire pressure (and invariably need to add air). So I go to the trunk of the Cruze, open the little nook where the goop, pump and tire gage are stored. I find that the goop container has decided leak goop all in the nook.

I spent the next 30 minutes cleaning goop off the pump, gage, and out of the storage nook. In case you were wondering, GM's goop looks, feels, and smells like Elmer's wood glue. A replacement container of goop is $20 at the Chevrolet dealership. I think I have a bottle of Elmer's somewhere...

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GM must really hate their techs. Changing a tire or repairing a puncture on a tire that has been "gooped" is messy and loving frustrating.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
I spent an hour or so cruising around and enjoying the now working 289 in my mustang. We finally got the alignment close to right over the weekend, and the car is driving quite nicely. It isn't making quite as much power as it should, and I'm going to have to find a local Holley guru to figure out how to get the most out of it, but for now I shall enjoy the sweet exhaust note and make a lot of noise annoying the neighborhood!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Carteret posted:

GM must really hate their techs. Changing a tire or repairing a puncture on a tire that has been "gooped" is messy and loving frustrating.

I've heard that this particular goop is not like the aerosol stuff. It doesn't harden and can be cleaned with soap and water. Comes in a gravity fed canister.

Confirming first hand the soap and water bit, dunno how this stuff works in a tire.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just following on from that, would putting stuff like the John Deere black goop (RTV looking poo poo) in the tyres of a 4x4 totally gently caress the balancing? My guess is yes but I've been curious. Hell if it messes with tyre techs I'd be happy to get the tools, pop the tyres off myself and clean poo poo up beforehand. It's the techs in the first place that do it for me anyway.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I put the top down and drove my '65 Caddy around the neighborhood for a few minutes. It was kind of to see if the brakes still dragged (they do), but mostly it was a temporary farewell. I'm in a severe cash crunch right now due to work related issues and there is a 98% chance I'll have to move out of my rental house next week. Things have been tight, and the shovelfuls of cash I'm about to throw at my '99 in the next couple days are going to put me over a cliff.

Where I am going, there won't be a garage. I don't want to leave it outside. I've gotten too spoiled having a garage to work in too as opposed to on a lawn, which is a bitch. I have a couple options to store it, but neither will be very close, certainly not close enough to walk out of my living room and work on the car. So yeah. :(

It particularly sucks because the weather is starting to get good, and I won't be able to fix it or enjoy driving afterwards in the summer, unless I have a radical turn of luck.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Changed the plugs in my truck, mounted the two sand blasted and painted wheels with decent Firestone trans force at's on the rear, and enjoyed the lack of a massive exhaust leak at the passengers side manifold, thanks to my mechanic buddy.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
I've been contemplating and debating this day for many months about how I would approach my T-Belt and clutch situation on the NSX. In the end I decided to go whole hog and have both done at once by our very knowledgeable local master tech.

I had originally thought I was only going to do the belts and water pump, but as there always seems to be, there was significant scope creep and I'm now doing the full 90k service and fluid flush as well. As we all know, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of replacement Titanium connecting rods.

When I bought the car last year, I knew about the T-Belt, but the clutch was a bit of a surprise late last summer when it started to slip with 120k km.

I went shopping at at a local shop and managed to scoop pretty well everything I need from them; the only thing missing was the oil, coolant and brake fluid.

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!
For some reason, Nissan engineers decided to make the door handle mechanism of the 350Z out of plastic. My drivers side handle broke a few weeks ago so I ordered a new one. Put the new handle on in ~5 minutes. Too bad it was expensive for an unnecessary problem. I don't understand some of these cost-saving techniques.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Did the axles on my GF's beater '96 Avalon, had a nasty clunk under acceleration. Grabbed 2 remans from NAPA, same part number for both sides, what a nice surprise.

I discovered that the handle from my Harbor Freight floor jack makes the perfect cheater pipe. That loving axle nut is tq'd to something like 215 ft-lbs.

Clunking bastard out. Barely any grease left on the tranny side of the joint.

Took me a bit, I had to make 2 separate trips to NAPA because I lacked the 30mm socket for the axle nut, and a 1/2 to 3/8 drive adapter. Adapter was needed for the six inverted hex bolts that hold the CV to the transmission. Inverted hex sockets I had were 3/8 drive.

Packed the new joint with fresh blue grease, bolted back on. Other side went much faster with required tools in hand. I prefer the six bolt design as opposed to the design on my old Civic, which required that little loving clip to line up inside the transmission.

GTi_guy posted:

NSX Stuff

When I had my Civic, there were few greater joys than getting a shipment of parts with those red OEM Honda stickers on them.

Strawberry fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 29, 2013

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!
Brought summer back. Probably too soon.

I forgot what responsiveness feels like!

BiRD BoY fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 29, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I cleaned some of the junk out of the VW. I dumped a heap of boxes and stuff in there months back and never got to sorting it out. Still a fair bit in there but at least it's accessible now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Strawberry posted:

I prefer the six bolt design as opposed to the design on my old Civic, which required that little loving clip to line up inside the transmission.
Until one of them strips. Hex head bolts are superior. Also be appreciative that its not a VW, they use XZN triple squares. You can't get those at the local parts store.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BiRD BoY posted:

Brought summer back. Probably too soon.

I forgot what responsiveness feels like!

Haha same here on my MS3. Couldn't take the mushy snow tires any longer though.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Strawberry posted:

When I had my Civic, there were few greater joys than getting a shipment of parts with those red OEM Honda stickers on them.

Thanks. I've squeezed every penny out of that shipment, and spent most of the winter compiling the list and shopping for the best price and service. Today I finished it off with Oem trans fluid, bake fluid, coolant and some Mobil 1.

A few weeks from now I won't have to have a nagging feeling in the back of my head wondering if the timing belt is going to go. I should be good for another six or so years after this.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

The weather finally warmed up enough to allow a proper detailing. My first time ever owning a car worth looking after.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Traded this:

For this:

I loved the Avant, but after owning my first B8 S4, the power was definitely lacking, even with a tune. That's not a problem anymore. This was the only car that we could find in the US that had every option I wanted, except for the wheels, so I've got a set of 19s en route. It goes in Monday for coilovers, sway bars, tint, and clear bra. I have a set of Pilot Super Sports leftover from my first S4, so I'll have the new wheels mounted on those, but will probably wait another week or so to put them on the car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That is solidly badass.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

DropShadow posted:

Traded this:

For this:

I loved the Avant, but after owning my first B8 S4, the power was definitely lacking, even with a tune. That's not a problem anymore. This was the only car that we could find in the US that had every option I wanted, except for the wheels, so I've got a set of 19s en route. It goes in Monday for coilovers, sway bars, tint, and clear bra. I have a set of Pilot Super Sports leftover from my first S4, so I'll have the new wheels mounted on those, but will probably wait another week or so to put them on the car.

That fuckin rules.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That thing is gorgeous. I think you made the correct choice.

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

DropShadow posted:

I loved the Avant, but after owning my first B8 S4, the power was definitely lacking

Welcome back to the club!

Bonus shot:

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.
Sent back the Tial BOV, AEM wideband/failsafe/boost gauge, gauge bezel, alky control kit and cancelled the order for the supercharger. I was so hyped up to have a 650-700 rwhp car again that I completely forgot why I got rid of my last one. Made a judgement call and cancelled everything. I don't want to ruin another car with excessive power again. This time I'm just going to get a 92mm FAST intake manifold, 90mm LS2 throttle body/adapter, LS7 MAF and a set of Trickflow 220 heads, that I'm going to get milled to up the compression a bit and hit right around 500 rwhp and then just leave it the hell alone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did the oil & filter for the beater Subaru, had the keys copied for all the dumb-key cars, replaced some missing clips on the good Subaru. Never let your insurance company hook you up with their PDR guys.

I made use of http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/ this time instead of going through the OEM route. Seems to have worked out pretty well, but if you're in the US just use Amazon.com (and Amazon Supply for fasteners).

Also, get one of these if you do a lot of interior clips on Japanese cars: http://ultimatetoolco.com/clipremoval/

Sure, the price is steep but every time I use it I end up going to it after loving around for a half hour pinching my fingers in needlenose pliers. Then I bust the clip off with this thing in half a millisecond. I bought their combo kit and found the clip tool to be way more useful than the trim crowbars.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 30, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Is that Wyoming by chance? Right after Utah?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Never let your insurance company hook you up with their PDR guys.

This, this, a million times this. I have never seen a more slipshod "repair" job than an in-house PDR place. All you need to know is they put the badge back on my car upside-down and laughed when I pointed it out.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Cleaned and put on my summer wheels yesterday. Went to Sears Auto Center today to get an alignment since I have a 1 yr unlimited alignment package. They couldn't do it because the two front outer tie rods are bad. I had them show me and it was true. I was going to replace them myself but it would void the warranty on the 1 yr deal. Either way I'd break even so I am going to have them do it and not get dirty today.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Finally managed to get the brakes done, check the clutch, and change the sparkplugs. I successfully dropped a socket down the opening on the top of the transmission that is where the flywheel/clutch is, destroyed a lugnut, and had to go mag-fishing for it, then I broke a sparkplug and had to figure out how to vacuum the little pieces out.

New caliper (red adds 50hp so I'm told):

Dead lugnut:

Flushed brake fluid (:stonk:):

Old sparks vs new sparks:

Took entirely too long, but the brakes are fixed and the clutch master cylinder is confirmed as being broken and needing to be replaced.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Cute caliper~

I installed new ebc brake liners in the rangie this weekend too. except I got to replace a claiper bracket because of a corroded guide pin.

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Is that Wyoming by chance? Right after Utah?

That's Monument Valley on the Utah/Arizona border. Interestingly, it is also featured in a scene in "Forrest Gump".

telarium4 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 31, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

telarium4 posted:

That's Monument Valley on the Utah/Arizona border. Interestingly, it is also featured in a scene in "Forrest Gump".

And every Hollywood movie since 1930 when they need a quick visual shorthand for THE WILD WILD WEST.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

That shot makes me want to go on a driving holiday around the US. Goddamn that's a great shot, the scenery must be amazing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Puddin posted:

That shot makes me want to go on a driving holiday around the US. Goddamn that's a great shot, the scenery must be amazing.

Makes me hate Florida all the more.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Hughmoris posted:

Makes me hate Florida all the more.

I heard the new franco film Springbreakers gives an accurate representation of Floridians. I want to see it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

telarium4 posted:

Welcome back to the club!

Bonus shot:

Thanks, and nice car. The B8 wears red much better than the B8.5.

Today I had a clear bra installed, and hung out with a couple other cool cars.

And my wheels arrived, they'll go on Monday with the coilovers and swaybars.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 31, 2013